• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Stretched Out: Noby Noby Boy Finally Comes to An End

tearsofash

New news, new thread, such are the rules:

A few weeks ago, I made a thread about Noby Noby Boy reaching Pluto.

Since then, more community players got involved. Today, one such player uploaded enough to spiral GIRL past the Sun, Mercury, and Venus and wrapped us all around back to Earth. Per usual, here's a video clip of the game announcing you've reached a new planet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mV5QnfpikQ At the end, we get a letter from "The Fairy". I skimmed past it in the video a little fast, so I took the liberty to type it all up here. I promise I didn't cry at the end of that. :'(

It's me! The Fairy!

If you're reading this letter now, then that means GIRL has connected to all the planets in the solar system.

What is today's date?

NOBY NOBY BOY was released on February 19, 2009

I'm very surprised that GIRL has finally managed to connect to all the planets, but how long as it taken?

Before people started playing NOBY NOBY BOY, BOY, GIRL, the Sun, and I talked about how long it would take.

Would it take 1 year?
3 years? Or even 10 years?

At the time, we had no idea. But I guess it doesn't really matter since you're reading this letter now.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone in helping GIRL connect to the planets in the solar system. There were times where I was worried that people would stop stretching and that GIRL would stop growing, but now I'm really relieved.

You've probably noticed that our world is different from yours.

The world we live in is made up of all 1s and 0s.

That's why everything is so simple here. Don't get me wrong, simplicity can be a good thing, but it means that everything in our world is set, including the ways in which we look and behave. If something unexpected happens within our world, it gets fixed by the people on the outside.

I'm not too familiar with your world, but I've heard that everyone has choices and free will. You can choose to do the things you want to do and the things you don't want to do.

I've heard that your world is made up of more than just 1s and 0s.

I can't imagine what kind of world that is...

It must be a world where people are free to do things they want do. I don't why, but I feel kind of jealous...

"I wonder if stretching could bring people closer together."

I think it was in the winter of 2005 that GIRL first said this to me and it was that one comment which marked the beginning of NOBY NOBY BOY.

At the time, I had no idea why GIRL made that comment. But now, I think I'm beginning to understand.

I can't really explain this very well, but I think she wanted to find something that exists in your world, but not in ours.

I have no idea what that something is, but I'm sure I'll find out by the time you read this letter.

The world that you live in must be so nice. I can't even imagine how great a place it must be.

No matter how hard I try, I can't imagine a world with other things besides 1s and 0s...

I wonder why my world doesn't have those things...

Can freedom be too much of a good thing? Are we lucky to live in a world where everything is set and where people don't have anything to worry about?

Anyway, I'm sure that you'll be fine in your world. You've played NOBY NOBY BOY, so I'm sure that you'll be able to confront any kind of situation.

We will always be supporting you! Don't forget that!

I'm sure the day that you'll be reading this letter will be a fantastic day. I'm so happy that you continued to play NOBY NOBY BOY to the very end!

Well, see you next time!

February 19, 2009
BOY, GIRL, The Sun, The Fairy

Letter from Keita Takahashi:
12341200_1106087796077853_5606571712792330965_n.jpg

Related Video Clips:

Sun gameplay footage
Mercury gameplay footage
Venus gameplay footage
Earth (post-finale) gameplay footage

KarmaCow

What was the distance from Pluto to the Sun? I can't imagine it was longer than everything up to Pluto if one person was enough to blow past it, even with multipliers.

Damnit. I almost teared up.

Noby Noby Boy was that weird, kitchy game that I spent a lot of time playing. I messed around, ate so much, and had a blast. It really encompassed the word "fun" for me in a pure format.

It makes me really happy that the original goal of this game was somehow completed.

According to the in-game counter: total uploaded yesterday reads 3,838,349,968,062 m, with the highest single user having contributed 28,654,714,930 m of that amount. Girl's total length reads 12,348,609,361,000 m, so it checks out that three planets would've been blown past.

edit: then again though, it also says that 33 people uploaded, so it wouldn't quite add up. Anyway!

Had to hop on and check this stuff out, and the Sun, Mercury, and Venus are pretty wild. What a fantastic, crazy thing. I'm super glad it exists <3

randomkid

will we ever see the intro movies for the planets we rocketed past or are those gone FOREVER now?

skipping through the sun and three planets thanks to a single multiplier in less than a month after the average 2 year long journeys to Neptune and Pluto is a fittingly insane end to a fittingly insane game. Thank you Keita!

Krammy

Wow, what a great and humble ending letter. Feels very much like a time capsule or a message in a bottle.

Noby Noby Boy was a really cool, feel-good experiment. It was great at showcasing continued community involvement almost 7 years down the line, even when the rewards weren't always exciting.

EDIT: A lot of years have come and gone since this game released, and infinitely more asses eaten. Pu Pu~

tearsofash

Wow, what a great and humble ending letter. Feels very much like a time capsule or a message in a bottle.

Noby Noby Boy was a really cool, feel-good experiment. It was great at showcasing continued community involvement almost 7 years down the line, even when the rewards weren't always exciting.

The game states that it was written before the game came out, so in a lot of ways it is a message in a bottle!

I'm wondering how the hell it happened so quickly after reaching Pluto. Surely some numbers were tinkered with behind the scenes, right? Even if the player population doubled and their output increased, the "distance" from Pluto all the way back around had to have been more than the distance up to Pluto, and this was a fraction of the time necessary to get to that point in the first place.

Maybe it was designed this way though, who knows... They might have anticipated such a slump and altered the points needed/triggered a huge multiplier once Pluto was reached instead of letting it die as implied in the letter.

Either way, in happy it finally made it. I played the hell out of this back when it launched and made a point to start it up once every month or so until I stopped turning the PS3 on. Nothing quite compared to the serene, disparate simplicity of Noby Noby Boy.

Cute. :)
It was on sale a few months ago and I picked it up and got all the trophies. Feels sort of fun that I contributed to this, even if it was just a little.

hao chi

I'm unfamiliar with this game. Does this mean that nobody can play it anymore? Or we can play it and just not contribute to this goal anymore?

I don't plan on playing it either way, just curious.

tearsofash

I'm unfamiliar with this game. Does this mean that nobody can play it anymore? Or we can play it and just not contribute to this goal anymore?

I don't plan on playing it either way, just curious.

When you submit length to GIRL now she just says, "I can eat everything!" or something to that effect. And fairy says stuff like "I wonder how much longer GIRL will have fer face stuck to Earth?"

It's kind of ominous.

Much like this game, this announcement was very anti-climatic. I sort of expected a bit more than a wall of text.

I'll never understand how the guy who made katamari only every made this game after.

I'm wondering how the hell it happened so quickly after reaching Pluto. Surely some numbers were tinkered with behind the scenes, right? Even if the player population doubled and their output increased, the "distance" from Pluto all the way back around had to have been more than the distance up to Pluto, and this was a fraction of the time necessary to get to that point in the first place.

Maybe it was designed this way though, who knows... They might have anticipated such a slump and altered the points needed/triggered a huge multiplier once Pluto was reached instead of letting it die as implied in the letter.

Either way, in happy it finally made it. I played the hell out of this back when it launched and made a point to start it up once every month or so until I stopped turning the PS3 on. Nothing quite compared to the serene, disparate simplicity of Noby Noby Boy.

I feel like I would have done a bit more stretching if things had been a little more transparent in that regard. It didn't really ever seem like there was any sense of accomplishment to Noby Noby Boy (not that that was really the point).

As far as I was concerned they were basically opening up each planet arbitrarily, unless there was something I was missing.

hao chi

When you submit length to GIRL now she just says, "I can eat everything!" or something to that effect. And fairy says stuff like "I wonder how much longer GIRL will have fer face stuck to Earth?"

It's kind of ominous.

Ah, okay. I didn't think the game would end, but the thread title kind of threw me off.

Thanks.

Persona7

Banned
Much like this game, this announcement was very anti-climatic. I sort of expected a bit more than a wall of text.

I'll never understand how the guy who made katamari only every made this game after.

He did other stuff. I think he also quit games for a while? I can't remember the exact story.
Katamari Damacy (2004) – Director
We Love Katamari (2005) – Director
Noby Noby Boy (2009) – Director, designer
Glitch (2011) – Designer
Tenya Wanya Teens (2013) – Designer
ALPHABET (2013) – Designer
Wattam (2016) – Designer

He did other stuff. I think he also quit games for a while? I can't remember the exact story.

If memory serves, he quit games to build playgrounds for children. But now he's making Wattam, which has a definite Katamari vibe. I can't wait for it.

Congrats btw to all that stuck with Noby Noby so long. I honestly felt ripped off when I bought it, but I'm glad people have found enjoyment.

Damn, I remember buying this game on Day 1 and being confused and a bit annoyed at the lack of story. The thing was, I kept playing it over and over having fun eating stuff.
Looking back, it was a wonderful gaming experience.

robot

My daughter was 3 years old when her and I played a TON of this game. We used to go nuts when we hit a new planet. I think we hit 3 planets in the time we spent playing iirc.

Funniest thing I can remember was when we found a world filled with Dig Dug characters - it was the only time in the dozens and dozens of hours we played. We peaked somewhere in the 30's on the leaderboard. Definitely did our part!

Crazy to think we finally hit the end and she's now 9 and has 2 younger sisters. Sounds like a good time to boot it back up and show all of them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love the letter. Got me all misty.

Vaco6121

I remember when this game first came out, I play so much of it. To think that it has been 2489 days since then. Where does the time go? Congrats to those of you that helped finish it up.

Awesome! I was thinking about installing this game again a couple of days ago. Guess there's no need now. :(

I used to play this a lot way back when. An amazing little game.

Top Bottom