• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Stretched Out: Noby Noby Boy Finally Comes to An End

jetsetrez

What a sweet final message. A truly unique and special game.

I think the pursuit and desire to find "art" in video games from the community is generally silly and born out of insecurity/wanting to be accepted, but NNB is one of the only games I could see an argument being made for it being so.

ChrisD

Never played NNB, but I was always interested in its premise.

What a cool feat for all of those who took part in it!

As a 360 only user last gen I always dug the look of this, it was one of the games that made me want to get a ps3, along with stuff like journey, flower, tokyo jungle, unfinished swan. in addition to bigger games like last of us, uncharted, etc.

all of that stuff has made it over to other platforms so my desire to get a ps3 was quelled in the end. With the IOS version being down that probably ends my chances of ever playing this. Despite that, I'm very glad it was a thing and it had enough of a following to achieve this, and I'm looking forward to Wattam.

I really thought Noby Noby Boy was a special experience.

It makes me wonder, are we gonna see any Katamari VR related products?

I wanna roll up the world using my literal fingertips!

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Oh wow, already to the sun after hitting Pluto so recently? Time to fire up this game and give girl a good stretch one more time. That's quite the touching little letter they wrote.

Kyonashi

This genuinely hit me in an unexpected way. I remember downloading this game Day 1, and impatiently waiting for its respective iOS app too, 'cause I loved Katamari.

That letter is incredibly touching, and honestly Keita is one of my favourite people working in the industry today. This kind of experimental and overall human feeling he populates his games with are genuinely why I play and love video games, why I wrote my academic paper on interactive narratives, and why I'm working on my first game now.

Imma cry, you guys. I love you all.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Such a sweet video toy. It will sound pretty shallow but I remember playing it a lot at its release, baked out of my mind, having fun tying donut clouds together/eating and pooping dudes to make my Nobi Nobi Boy longer.

Shit was tight.

Strawman

I could never get into the game, but I love the fact that people were beavering away for so many years and finally reached the end, well done! What a sweet letter too :)

I didn't particularly enjoy the game, but that is a really sweet letter and end to the game. So what happens now - is this the end for NNB? Will the servers be closed down, or will it be kept up for people to still piss around, but the central hook of growing GIRL is now finished?

Drencrom

Played a lot years ago and it's great to see that the community as a whole finally made it after so many years.

NNB really is a one of a kind experimental game in it's own genre, a bit sad that it got a bit overlooked, even by people that liked Katamari. I really hope people support and get Keita's next game Wattam, it just beams charm and creativity from what have been shown.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Awesome concept and a nice test on how a game can keep giving years beyond release. I like what he and his team did with this game.

I'm not going to lie, I got a little misty eyed reading the letter when I got home yesterday and fired up the game. Very touching.

Loved Noby in the day. I was in the top 100 or so for a while too... I should wear my tee in celebration tomorrow!
Keita just posted this letter from angry Girl :)
Keita Takahashi said:
12341200_1106087796077853_5606571712792330965_n.jpg

Ferulci

Awesome !
Is there a way to know the distance achieved by players for each goal ? (distance to neptune, pluto and so on) Also, how huge are the high-scores ?

tearsofash

Awesome !
Is there a way to know the distance achieved by players for each goal ? (distance to neptune, pluto and so on) Also, how huge are the high-scores ?

There are leaderboards in the game. The main one tells you who has submitted the most overall. Then there's also leaderboards that tell you who submitted the most for each planet. I would post them here, but I'm moving and just packed up my PS3.

If someone has never played this game, is there a point to playing it now? Or is it all a collective, collaborative thing that's pretty much over?

Loved Noby in the day. I was in the top 100 or so for a while too... I should wear my tee in celebration tomorrow!
Keita just posted this letter from angry Girl :)
So cute! I hope Wattam does come out soon though.

If someone has never played this game, is there a point to playing it now? Or is it all a collective, collaborative thing that's pretty much over?
It's still a fun toybox to mess around with and now all the planets are unlocked. I would say there's no better time to jump in!

My daughter was 3 years old when her and I played a TON of this game. We used to go nuts when we hit a new planet. I think we hit 3 planets in the time we spent playing iirc.

Funniest thing I can remember was when we found a world filled with Dig Dug characters - it was the only time in the dozens and dozens of hours we played. We peaked somewhere in the 30's on the leaderboard. Definitely did our part!

Crazy to think we finally hit the end and she's now 9 and has 2 younger sisters. Sounds like a good time to boot it back up and show all of them.

This is awesome! Sounds like no better time to me!

Enforcer

I haven't played in a few years, but I remember spending hours with this, just running around whatever planet I was on and knocking shit over. I was never any good at it, but it was a lot of fun and managed to suck up free time pretty quickly! I wish I'd been playing more in recent years, but I'm glad Girl finally completed her journey! For a while I thought she'd never make it and that thought made me sad. It's nice to see the game reach its goal!

Top Bottom