• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars fans react to The Phantom Menace in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course people like the PT. However, big movies tend to have a lot of hype. I believe when TFA hype dies down then you will see more honest thoughts about the movie.

Veelk

Banned
Empire was written off as mediocre for retreading the same ground too much at the time of release.

Sound familiar?

I see a lack of excitement after the viewing. You can see the energy levels are super low compared to the crowd prior to seeing the movie.. It seems like they are in shock of how bad it was and are in the early stages of denial.

MisterHero

Empire was written off as mediocre for retreading the same ground too much at the time of release.

Sound familiar?
It's my least favorite of the OT

Battle of Yavin and Battle of Endor >>> Battle of Hoth

at least it had Luke and Yoda

Parham

Banned
Don't most regular folks like the prequel trilogy? I probably know more people who enjoyed those movies than outright hated them and the people in this video don't seem to be much different.

Grover

Banned
im scared of what i might say had they asked me back then

granted i was only 10 at the time,

right now though i dont think it even resembles star wars in tone or quality

im so glad that TFA has brought star wars back to form

ZeroGravity

The idea that people universally reviled TPM when it came out has always been some huge revisionist history (same with downplaying Lucas' success with the Original Trilogy).

Avixph

im scared of what i might say had they asked me back then

granted i was only 10 at the time,

right now though i dont think it even resembles star wars in tone or quality

im so glad that TFA has brought star wars back to form
And TFA does?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
TFA and TPM are both good movies so yes it does

Those are the same people who made Limp Bizkit and Britney Spears rich. They have awful taste.
1999 is just a shit year overall.

Snake

Nice try.

yHN2G6s.png

ntJhaYi.png

TDOg5HU.png

sGUmP2r.png

And beyond aggregators, the audience reception to The Force Awakens has been overwhelmingly more positive than the reaction to The Phantom Menace, by every conceivable metric.

The fact that contrarians and people with poor taste existed back in 1999 should surprise no one. They exist now too. One of them just made a Star Wars topic.

I was not a fetus when The Phantom Menace came out and I can assure you that reaction across the board for The Force Awakens is far, *far* more positive.

gamz

I remember talking about how bad it was with a friend as soon as it let out and some dude heard us and yelled "Fuck you!!!!! Lucas is a genius" and then ran away. LOL!

Those are the same people who made Limp Bizkit and Britney Spears rich. They have awful taste.
1999 is just a shit year overall.

It's not awful taste, they just don't care to argue Star Wars all day. Fun fact: most people who watched Star Wars: The Phantom Menace probably liked it and moved on. The ones who argue Star Wars are in a small minority.

not one to argue against the movie, but were internet review sites even prominent when the film came out?

I don't know, and seeing how the movie has garnered more hate as time flies, post-release reviews might be less favorable.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
What a flawless argument. I'm now convinced that TFA is actually bad.

120v

i remember the consensus being "not, uh, really what i expected ... but whatever, star wars! fuck yeah"

lol I remember being in high school and being very confused and lost. I became a huge star wars fan when they were re-released on VHS before the remastered versions were released in theater, probably around age 13.

I saw it a second time in the theater and my opinion then is much what it is today. A decent movie that panders to kids, with some awesome robot/ship/podracer designs and an utterly dull writing style and a nonsensical story.

TFA was a little too similar to ANH but I'm so interested in what they have coming now. I remember TPM basically turning me away from star wars at the time and I didn't even see the 2nd or 3rd movies in the theater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom