• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks homages in games AKA: Can't someone just make a Twin Peaks game already?

Maligna

Banned
Twin Peaks is very special to me, and to a whole lot of people around the world. The picturesque/moody setting in the mountains and woods of the Pacific Northwest and the mysterious/magical narrative of the show with spirits and alternate planes of existence made a lasting impression on not just television, but video games as well.

Twin Peaks homages and easter eggs can be seen everywhere. I'm not really aware of any other piece of television that has directly inspired as many things. Here are a few examples off the top of my head.

Mizzurna Falls
hqdefault.jpg

Alan Wake
alanwake.jpg

Deadly Premonition
deadlypremonition547-610.jpg

Life is Strange
lifeisstrange_1415454.jpg

Even Mass Effect 2's Shadowbroker DLC had a Twin Peaks easter egg!
mass-effect-2-twin-peaks.png

Hell, Dale Cooper seemingly straight up appears as himself in the first of Blair Witch game.
(Here's the video of that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9VRPlOEZpc)
hqdefault.jpg

Obviously the draw of the mysterious world in Twin Peaks resonates with a lot of creators. People are still fascinated 25 years later. My question is, do you think someone could/would ever just make a straight up Twin Peaks game? Who could do it, how would it work?

If I had my way, my dream project would be to get the guys from Campo Santo to do it as a tie in to the new season of the show. Make a narrative first person game similar to Firewatch that takes place in the town of Twin Peaks during the 25 years between the events of seasons 2 and 3. I know Mark Frost is writing a book on this very topic, but being able to play it and "live it" would be a dream come true.

I've always just wanted to be able to walk around Twin Peaks, and I've done it in real life by attending the Twin Peaks festival where the show was shot. That was amazing, and probably the closest I'll ever come to having a religious experience but a game set in the fiction of the show would be the greatest.

Would you want a Twin Peaks game and if so, how would you see it working? Please describe your ideal game below.
(Also before you say it, yes I know the chances are slim to none that the license would ever be given out for a video game. But it's fun to dream and speculate.)

Bedlam

Play Silent Hill 2 if you haven't, OP. It's pretty much the mother of all Twin Peaks-referencing games.

Twin Peaks is one of the most influential pieces of modern media. It influences movies, television, books, and even games on a persistent and constant basis. Twin Peaks was one of those things that "changed everything."

So, don't get tired of its influences, because you'll be seeing them for the rest of your life.

Twin Peaks is very special to me too. Bring on more Twin Peaks. Massive quantities of Twin Peaks. I want to write an epic poem about this brand.

Play Silent Hill 2 if you haven't, OP. It's pretty much the mother of all Twin Peaks-referencing games.

SH2 is the GOAT, but let's be real, its Shattered Memories that's Twin Peaks as fuck. But SH in general gives the vibe, yeah. Just that one specifically.

Nottle

I've sort of viewed Persona 4 as Twin Peaks meets Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 4.

Aren't Puzzle Agent and Life is Strange Twin Peaks esque?

Corpekata

Banned
Life is Strange is fairly clearly inspired by it. General mystery surrounding a Laura Palmerish girl, fading small northwestern town full of some strange folks and sinister secrets.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Point and click mystery adventure. Good focus on puzzles, writing and atmosphere. Have it branch like some hardcore ass pine tree mandating multiple playthroughs.

I'd keep away from the main TV cast, maybe include a handful of cameos, but include appropriate references. Original main cast. Original main story and plot. Old and new music. Avoid memes.

I'd hand over 60 dollary-doos no question if done right.

PMS341

Twin Peaks is my absolute favorite series of all time.

Remedy clearly has some fans in the studio; maybe they should take a crack at it. Although I'd prefer more story than action-based, of course.

Sorcerer

there's a blair witch game??

Three of them. In fact the dvd box set for the Blair Witch movies had them packed in along with a Blair Witch pendant and a soundtrack. They couldn't give those things away at 5 Below stores back in the day. Could never get those games to run properly on my computer.

120v

Bioshock Infinite had the Black Lodge zigzag flooring at one point, forget where. thought it was a pretty obvs homage

Maligna

Banned
I've sort of viewed Persona 4 as Twin Peaks meets Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 4.

Aren't Puzzle Agent and Life is Strange Twin Peaks esque?

Life is Strange is fairly clearly inspired by it. General mystery surrounding a Laura Palmerish girl, fading small northwestern town full of some strange folks and sinister secrets.

Ah right, how could I forget that. GOTY for me last year. Added to OP.

Maligna

Banned
Point and click mystery adventure. Good focus on puzzles, writing and atmosphere. Have it branch like some hardcore ass pine tree mandating multiple playthroughs.

I'd keep away from the main TV cast, maybe include a handful of cameos, but include appropriate references. Original main cast. Original main story and plot. Old and new music. Avoid memes.

I'd hand over 60 dollary-doos no question if done right.

So you thinking more of a Telltale type game?

Sorcerer

I am going to guess Lynch has no love for video games and he wouldn't just give his blessing and let it go at that. He probably would have to oversee it and he probably would never want to bother with that.

Deadly Premonition had to be reworked to remove blatant references to Twin Peaks from what I understand.

Not sure if it was a cease and desist type of thing or voluntary.

Twin peaks season one is fantastic. Truly top tier tv, maybe my favorite show of all time. Perfect marriage between Lynch's arational psycho-aesthetic and pulpy engaging story telling. Season two is pretty good. Fire Walk a With Me is hit or miss. I feel the lightning was caught in a bottle, and then got back out again. The only people who could possibly do it justice are Frost and Lynch and I don't even know that they could.

I don't much like homage, and I don't want to walk around having derivatively weird experiences that don't have the electricity of de novo Lynch.

But Lynch and Frost TP season 3 in VR - I'm there. Hopefully Audrey is heavily featured...

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Twin Peaks is my favorite TV series of all time, and words can't define how I'd love to see an game that is actually related to it.

Black Lodge 2600 doesn't count. ;)

Other than Platinum, what'd be your dream developer for a Twin Peaks game?

cj_iwakura

Three of them. In fact the dvd box set for the Blair Witch movies had them packed in along with a Blair Witch pendant and a soundtrack. They couldn't give those things away at 5 Below stores back in the day. Could never get those games to run properly on my computer.
Wish I knew about that... Always wanted to play those games.

Twin peaks season one is fantastic. Truly top tier tv, maybe my favorite show of all time. Perfect marriage between Lynch's arational psycho-aesthetic and pulpy engaging story telling. Season two is pretty good. Fire Walk a With Me is hit or miss. I feel the lightning was caught in a bottle, and then got back out again. The only people who could possibly do it justice are Frost and Lynch and I don't even know that they could.

I don't much like homage, and I don't want to walk around having derivatively weird experiences that don't have the electricity of de novo Lynch.

But Lynch and Frost TP season 3 in VR - I'm there. Hopefully Audrey is heavily featured...
I watched season 1 a year ago and loved it, picked up season 2 and loved it even more. Fell off halfway through though
once Laura's murder was wrapped up, I had no real interest in the show unfortunately. I read the rest of what happens and didn't really sound all that interesting...

I grabbed Deadly Premonition from Humble several months ago, I'm definitely excited to try it out once I clear out some of the current stuff I'm playing

MadSexual

I watched season 1 a year ago and loved it, picked up season 2 and loved it even more. Fell off halfway through though
once Laura's murder was wrapped up, I had no real interest in the show unfortunately. I read the rest of what happens and didn't really sound all that interesting...

I grabbed Deadly Premonition from Humble several months ago, I'm definitely excited to try it out once I clear out some of the current stuff I'm playing

Deadly Premonition is so heavily influenced by TP that it's also only at its best during the first half.

Fire Walk With Me has one of the best scenes in the entire series in the appearance of
Phillip Jefferies
though, it's worth watching just for that. Season two gets awful but picks it up by the end with a phenomenal finish. Cannot wait for season 3.

Fisty

Audrey is heavily
exploded

The real question Ive been asking is how the hell X-Files got 9 seasons while Twin Peaks got 2 seasons. Like what kind of universe allows this?!?!

Maligna

Banned

Dude. The final episode is the best episode of the series. Get back in there!

Shin-Ra

I am going to guess Lynch has no love for video games and he wouldn't just give his blessing and let it go at that. He probably would have to oversee it and he probably would never want to bother with that.

Deadly Premonition had to be reworked to remove blatant references to Twin Peaks from what I understand.

Not sure if it was a cease and desist type of thing or voluntary.
If Lynch had any creative control it wouldn't be a mobile game at least!

Is it worth it for any developer/publisher to pay for the Twin Peaks license?

I mean the show is still relatively niche.

You're much better off making an off-brand game.

What I really want is someone to go full David Lynch in a game. Where it starts out relatively normally but two-thirds of the way through the plot gets thrown out completely.

Fisty

Dude. The final episode is the best episode of the series. Get back in there!

I think it actually gets BETTER after that mystery is tied up. The movie got a lot of flak for going back to it, i think, which probably killed the possibility of future films at the time.

It was a great mystery, but the show really opened up after it was solved

Radio

David Lynch + Kojima seems like something that should happen for the good of mankind.

But if there were to be a Twin Peaks game, Lynch and Frost would have to be involved. You can't recreate the magic without them. You can pay homage, but Twin Peaks requires their ridiculous minds.

Nick

Twin Peaks is one of my all time favorite shows. I live in my own version of the show, since I live in Twin Peaks in San Francisco!

I would love a game based on the show, and can't *wait* for the revival on Showtime, which I know is going to be amazing!

Fire Walk With Me has one of the best scenes in the entire series in the appearance of
Phillip Jefferies
though, it's worth watching just for that. Season two gets awful but picks it up by the end with a phenomenal finish. Cannot wait for season 3.

Yeah, I agree with this. Just not home run after home run like every episode in Season 1. Definitely hyped for season 3, just going in with tempered expectations. I really like some fairly recent Lynch (Inland Empire in particular I think under-rated), but not sure he can provide more of what he did to make TP S1 great. Got to get that feeling of treacly familiarity with just the right dash of strange inspiration. But we already know the characters and enough of he mystery has been cleared to deflate the whole enterprise.

Audrey is heavily
exploded

The real question Ive been asking is how the hell X-Files got 9 seasons while Twin Peaks got 2 seasons. Like what kind of universe allows this?!?!

Lol, I don't buy it for a minute. And even if she were,
twin sister, classic soap opera move. But Fenn always said Audrey survived the blast anyway.

mf.luder

I love TP and I love the homages. I can't wait for the revival.

But I get enough from the homages that I don't need to walk around Twin Peaks and put up with shitty non-David Lynch writing.

Twin Peaks is fabulous as it is but does not need to be remembered by some terrible game. I say terrible because the chances of it turning out "good" and the way "we want it to" most likely won't happen.

Well there's the Atari style game OP...

black-lodge-video-game-waiting-room.png

Free dl is at the link, its damn hard, you're basically trying to see how long you can evade your doppelganger while dealing with other obstacles and baddies. Top 5000 pts for an easter egg!

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/inspiration/black-lodge-twin-peaks-game/

As much as I love Twin Peaks its something I'm not sure needs a game adaptation in a realistic Alan Wake/Deadly Premonition style. The magic is in Lynch's direction and storytelling, something I highly doubt would carry over well in a game, even if he was overseeing it. But hey, we've got new Twin Peaks to look forward to in 2017, who knows what could happen.

zoozilla

When a game references Twin Peaks or wears the show's influence on its sleeve it's like, "Okay, cool. High five, game."

If anyone ever made an officially licensed Twin Peaks game you know the reaction would be more like "This is horrible! It doesn't capture the spirit of the show at all! Where's Julee Cruise? Why isn't Agent Cooper in this? Man, why did they have to shoehorn Agent Cooper into this?"

Better to let it remain a dream.

MadSexual

Lol, I don't buy it for a minute. And even if she were,
twin sister, classic soap opera move. But Fenn always said Audrey survived the blast anyway.

Exactly. Besides, she listed in the cast for season 3, thought that could just be due to flash backs.

Top Bottom