• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks homages in games AKA: Can't someone just make a Twin Peaks game already?

Nick

I'm also extremely, extremely happy that Ed and Queen Nadine have been confirmed to be coming back.

Now if only Lara Flynn Boyle would pull her head out of her ass, and Michael Ontkean would un-retire and make a cameo... #Justice4SheriffHarrySTruman

Fisty

Lol, I don't buy it for a minute. And even if she were,
twin sister, classic soap opera move. But Fenn always said Audrey survived the blast anyway.

I she did survive, then they better bring back Pete too, he was the best character in the show!

EDIT: just checked wiki... damn thats a shitty way to find out Jack Nance died. I just made myself sad

MadSexual

I'm also extremely, extremely happy that Ed and Queen Nadine have been confirmed to be coming back.

Now if only Lara Flynn Boyle would pull her head out of her ass, and Michael Ontkean would un-retire and make a cameo... #Justice4SheriffHarrySTruman

I thought I heard that Ontkean had rather limiting health issues that prevented his participation.

Just get Moira Kelly. Lara ruined our Cooper and Audrey story.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
An official game would probably be garbage, I never felt the need for one. I wouldn't be opposed to it if it was announced, but idk. I'd rather devs who love the show just keep aping/referencing it while doing their own thing, like Remedy with Alan Wake and so on.

Twin Peaks influences and homages in games always put a smile on my face. The more the merrier. Love the show to death and I still can't believe it's coming back. I'll see you again in 25 years, motherfucker.

Deadly Premonition is such a giant rip-off (it was even more blatant before, just look at the beta version with the Cooper lookalike, dwarves, etc), but I just love it so much, haha. Swery is awesome.

Life is Strange is fairly clearly inspired by it. General mystery surrounding a Laura Palmerish girl, fading small northwestern town full of some strange folks and sinister secrets.
Yep, there's a lot of TP in LiS and the clearer the influences got the more I enjoyed it. I dig how even though all the license plates in the Blackwell parking lot reference great TV shows (like The Wire, Carnivale, X-Files, Breaking Bad), Chloe's truck got the TWN PKS one.

wipeout364

I think it actually gets BETTER after that mystery is tied up. The movie got a lot of flak for going back to it, i think, which probably killed the possibility of future films at the time.

It was a great mystery, but the show really opened up after it was solved

I disagree with this, the show lost it's way after Laura Palmer murder was solved and it stumbled around for several episodes. Lynch and frost I believe we're not on good terms due to lynch not wanting to have the mystery solved feeling it would ruin the tension and frost arguing the audience deserved closure about it. If I'm not mistaken lynch just left at that point and had minimal involvement; he agreed to make the finale as long as he had license to do what he wanted which is why it is the best episode next to the pilot in my opinion.
I think the whole series and movie are great but it really takes a nose dive after they catch the killer. The movie and final episode redeem it though.

wipeout364

Alan Wake was amazing. It's too bad the guys at Remedy are so slow. It's painful waiting for their games. I would love another Alan wake but at the speed those guys develop it will be on ps5 or X two in 2021.

nubbe

oiH8sHa.gif

duB73GK.gif

Fisty

I disagree with this, the show lost it's way after Laura Palmer murder was solved and it stumbled around for several episodes. Lynch and frost I believe we're not on good terms due to lynch not wanting to have the mystery solved feeling it would ruin the tension and frost arguing the audience deserved closure about it. If I'm not mistaken lynch just left at that point and had minimal involvement; he agreed to make the finale as long as he had license to do what he wanted which is why it is the best episode next to the pilot in my opinion.
I think the whole series and movie are great but it really takes a nose dive after they catch the killer. The movie and final episode redeem it though.

I dont really mean the show got better BECAUSE the mystery was solved, but i think it got more interesting after it was solved and went completely off the rails. Agreed on the very beginning and very end being the best though, Coop's quirks were kinda lost after awhile and they were a big part of the first few episodes, and the ending really proved the mythos could survive after the mystery. FWWM was great because it kinda brought that completely batshit sensibility from the end to the prequel... would have loved to have seen the next movie.

Every time I watch, I always stop once the murder is solved. Laura was the glue and everything just falls apart once it's done. It's weird, but I just lose interest with how random and wacky everything is.

Edit: Thanks Jiguryo, I'll try to muscle through it.

Kevtones

Deadly Premonition takes a bunch of shits on Alan Wake as a game and in terms of being 'TP The Game'.

Considering Lynch has done comics, art, music, leggings, coffee and other things - games aren't a ridiculous leap of faith.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Every time I watch, I always stop once the murder is solved. Laura was the glue and everything just falls apart once it's done. It's weird, but I just lose interest with how random and wacky everything is.

There IS a lull, a valley, between the Palmer murder solution and the next arc (Wyndom Earle). Once this part kicks in, it gets way better.

Tagyhag

Deadly Premonition is Twin Peaksy enough.

A TP game would only work as a Telltale game, and I don't think they (Or their game's design) have it in them to capture the magic of the original.

Deadly Premonition is Twin Peaksy enough.

A TP game would only work as a Telltale game, and I don't think they (Or their game's design) have it in them to capture the magic of the original.

Funny you say that, Puzzle Agent (Telltale game before they started Jurassic Park/Walking dead style games) was super Twin Peaks-y

I she did survive, then they better bring back Pete too, he was the best character in the show!

EDIT: just checked wiki... damn thats a shitty way to find out Jack Nance died. I just made myself sad

Yeah, he was the man.
But no one touches Audrey. (Except, in the only acceptable kind of TP fan-fiction, Coop.)

Tagyhag

Funny you say that, Puzzle Agent (Telltale game before they started Jurassic Park/Walking dead style games) was super Twin Peaks-y

That looks pretty cool.

Yeah some SCUMM-like game would actually be a better format than their current design for a TP game.

Yep, there's a lot of TP in LiS and the clearer the influences got the more I enjoyed it. I dig how even though all the license plates in the Blackwell parking lot reference great TV shows (like The Wire, Carnivale, X-Files, Breaking Bad), Chloe's truck got the TWN PKS one.

Aww you beat me to it. Here's a screencap I made of Chloe's license plate
Deadly Premonition is such a giant rip-off (it was even more blatant before, just look at the beta version with the Cooper lookalike, dwarves, etc), but I just love it so much, haha. Swery is awesome.
I would call it a love-letter more than a rip-off. Low budget but just made with so much care and charm.

mikestrife

there's a blair witch game??

There were 3 for PC, all part of the same series but by different developers. They take place in the town around the woods in 3 different eras covering different back stories from the movies.

I played through them all because I was a gluten for survival horror and there wan't much out at the time. They were really budget, and incredibly glitchy.

dracula_x

Very good list OP. For me, Mizzurna Falls is the closest thing that I know.

From the interview with game's director:

JS: The rich story replicates life in “small town America”. Did your team visit the USA for research?

Taichi Ishizuka: I am very surprised that you are so familiar with Japanese games history! Yes, Mizzurna Falls is also my title. I was the director, planner and scenario writer. Actually, this title is one of the most impressive and memorable games in my career. I got some ideas from Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet, which are both my favourites by director David Lynch.

As you mention, the game had an originality to it, a unique design - and it was released before Shenmue, which used the same concept of a big open world with an ongoing timeline. Myself and my team were proud of these things which we created, making use of such concepts before Shenmue.

http://projectmizzurna.tumblr.com/post/136983221972/interview-with-mizzurna-falls-creator-taichi

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening was also apparently super inspired by Twin Peaks. Wiki:

Later on, Yoshiaki Koizumi, who had previously helped with the plot of A Link to the Past, was brought into the team.[13][28] Koizumi was responsible for the main story of Link's Awakening, provided the idea of the island in a dream, and conceived the interactions with the villagers.[29][30][31] Link's Awakening was described by series producer Eiji Aonuma as the first Zelda game with a proper plot, which he attributed to Koizumi's romanticism.[32] Tezuka intended the game's world to have a similar feeling to the American television series Twin Peaks, which, like Link's Awakening, features characters in a small town.[13] He suggested that the characters of Link's Awakening be written as "suspicious types", akin to those in Twin Peaks—a theme which carried over into later Zelda titles.

wipeout364

I need a Twin Peaks character action game by Platinum games stat please
Just out of curiosity what exactly does that look like in your mind? I'm serious I have no idea why platinum keeps getting mentioned it seems so at odds with twin peaks in my mind.

There is a level called "Twin Shrieks" in Carmageddon 2, which is based on, you guess it, Twin Peaks.

Also, if you drive through a specific mountain in that map, you will find the following hidden room

C2_EEgg.png

There's 3 couchs and a lamp inn the center on the room, surrounded by red velvet courtains.

You can watch it here

I'm loving this thread for all the Twin Peaks references in so many games. I didn't know about many of them.

Personally I wouldn't want a Twin Peaks game because I don't think there are many that could actually pull it off. Hell, even on the show itself Lynch's absence was dramatically felt.

Deadly Premonition is pretty much the closest we'll get to a Twin Peaks game. It's definitely more than a homage, but the low budget/Japanese charm gives the game it's own identity.
That tease at the end of DP-DC was too much. Where did Zach go, SWERY? WHERE DID HE GO DAMN IT!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I would call it a love-letter more than a rip-off. Low budget but just made with so much care and charm.
Indeed, rip-off was a bit mean of me. The game stands by itself more than enough beyond the influences and, like you said, there's a lot of care and heart put into it.

I just remember being shocked when I saw the very first reveal video in a "wow, no shame here" sort of way, haha. But then I eventually played the PC version and became a big fan of DP and of Swery. Currently playing D4.

Tainted

We got Alan Wake what more do you want?

Yar, Alan Wake captured the vibe of Twin Peaks more than any other game I've played. Hell, it has you collecting coffee flasks in a direct reference to Agent Cooper.

I really need to play through that game again. I watched all of Twin Peaks recently on Netflix as well.

maxcriden

This thread has me going deep down a Mizzurna Falls rabbit hole that also has me reading about The Firefighters for SFC. Has anyone here played either of these games?

Deadly Premonition is so Twin Peaks we dont really need a Twin Peaks game.

Its really like an altarnate version of the series.

I've sort of viewed Persona 4 as Twin Peaks meets Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 4.

Persona 4 is clearly scooby doo (with maybe some small homages to twin peaks and other things).

BTW Someone told Yosuke's american voice actor in Dancing All Night to try to force his voice to sound like Shaggy as much as possible. The pitch he puts sometimes is lolworthy.

Is it worth it for any developer/publisher to pay for the Twin Peaks license?

I mean the show is still relatively niche.

You're much better off making an off-brand game.

What I really want is someone to go full David Lynch in a game. Where it starts out relatively normally but two-thirds of the way through the plot gets thrown out completely.

Not true. Every one and their mothers that was around during the 90's know about twin Peaks, and the question "Who killed Laura Palmer?" was in the mouth of everyone at their work next morning after an episode was released. It was a television phenomenon. My parents watch like 0 american television, but they know Twin Peaks, Falcon Crest and Dallas because everyone watched it at the time. In Europe and Japan Twin peaks became super big. Thats why you see so many tributes to Twin peaks in games.

Top Bottom