• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks homages in games AKA: Can't someone just make a Twin Peaks game already?

I can't find it on google but there was a Twin Peaks game planned for development by ICOM Simulations for the Turbografx CD. Going completely from memory from the summer CES 1991 announcement, it was going to be similar to their Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, which I don't think was out either at the time. I wouldn't be surprised it was only announced with no development actually done as the show was being cancelled as this game was announced.

The Twin Peaks references in Life is Strange became so painful that I literally cringed every time I saw another one shoe-horned in there.

I get it, guys, I get it, you watched Twin Peaks. Well done.

Twin Peaks is the greatest thing known to mankind and every game that pays homage, is influenced by, or references it puts a giant smile on my face. I've played pretty much all of the game in the OP because of Twin Peaks. I just need Mizzurna Falls.

Yello

Neo Member
Watched Twin Peaks again a little while ago, and remembered Mizzurna Falls. Hyped as i was for S3 of Twin Peaks, I thought "hey, how hard can it be to translate Mizzurna".
Turns out it's pretty damn hard. I loaded up a hex editor and managed to find some english text (though fullwidth. I don't think it has halfwidth, and implementing it is WAY beyond what i know how to do).

I change it up a little, have some fun with making the characters say dumb shit. I'm easily amused. The japanese text however, uses tables. Normally a japanese character uses 2 bytes of data (e.g. "0x82BE" for だ in shift-jis. Here's a chart),
but a table lists all the characters to be used and corresponds them to a single byte (だ became 0x09 in one of the tables i found). I'm sure I messed something up in that explanation. Romhacking.net has a great guide if you're interested.
I manage to map a table by editing the places after the english characters and loading it up in the psx emulator. After spending an hour doing that, i see that the table was already loaded into memory. And that there was another table there.
I see that both tables i found are prefixed with "MDT". Great, i search for MDT in the file i suspect contains the text. "168 matches". Shit. That's when i realized I was in over my head, so i gave up. Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything , this was literally the first romhacking project I've attempted.

Also, if anyone's interested, I found some video files on the disc which i could upload.

I can't think of anything that would justify the game's existence vs. just rewatching the show.

I'd rather have completely off-beat Japanese interpretations of it.

Watched Twin Peaks again a little while ago, and remembered Mizzurna Falls. Hyped as i was for S3 of Twin Peaks, I thought "hey, how hard can it be to translate Mizzurna".
Turns out it's pretty damn hard. I loaded up a hex editor and managed to find some english text (though fullwidth. I don't think it has halfwidth, and implementing it is WAY beyond what i know how to do).

I change it up a little, have some fun with making the characters say dumb shit. I'm easily amused. The japanese text however, uses tables. Normally a japanese character uses 2 bytes of data (e.g. "0x82BE" for だ in shift-jis. Here's a chart),
but a table lists all the characters to be used and corresponds them to a single byte (だ became 0x09 in one of the tables i found). I'm sure I messed something up in that explanation. Romhacking.net has a great guide if you're interested.
I manage to map a table by editing the places after the english characters and loading it up in the psx emulator. After spending an hour doing that, i see that the table was already loaded into memory. And that there was another table there.
I see that both tables i found are prefixed with "MDT". Great, i search for MDT in the file i suspect contains the text. "168 matches". Shit. That's when i realized I was in over my head, so i gave up. Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything , this was literally the first romhacking project I've attempted.

Also, if anyone's interested, I found some video files on the disc which i could upload.

I don't know what any of this means except that you're interested in translating the game, which is awesome!

I do know you could get better help here though:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The Twin Peaks references in Life is Strange became so painful that I literally cringed every time I saw another one shoe-horned in there.

I get it, guys, I get it, you watched Twin Peaks. Well done.
alan wake hit a good balance, i think

Breads

Banned
Deadly Premonition had to be reworked to remove blatant references to Twin Peaks from what I understand.

Which is amazing seeing as how Swery has never seen it!

No seriously though I can't believe DP is the version with references taken out.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
FOR ANYONE INTERESTED IN MIZZURNA FALLS; There's someone translating the whole game right now. They don't have a programmer yet, but they've been releasing scripts of every Day in the game so far with an English translation and a walkthrough to accompany it so you can follow the story of the game.

You can find the project here, literally two days ago they finished the scripts for Day 4 & 5: http://projectmizzurna.tumblr.com/

I see it was briefly been mentioned, but been following the project for a while now and it deserves more attention.

FOR ANYONE INTERESTED IN MIZZURNA FALLS; There's someone translating the whole game right now. They don't have a programmer yet, but they've been releasing scripts of every Day in the game so far with an English translation and a walkthrough to accompany it so you can follow the story of the game.

You can find the project here, literally two days ago they finished the scripts for Day 4 & 5: http://projectmizzurna.tumblr.com/

I see it was briefly been mentioned, but been following the project for a while now and it deserves more attention.

Nice!

I wonder if anyone will ever work on Aconcagua.

edit: did a popular youtuber cover Mizzurna Falls or something? I don't remember the game being $40 before...or much talk of it at all for that matter.

Dusk Golem

Nice!

I wonder if anyone will ever work on Aconcagua.

edit: did a popular youtuber cover Mizzurna Falls or something? I don't remember the game being $40 before...or much talk of it at all for that matter.

Probably been climbing in price a bit because there's been slight attention drawn to the title and many who have been on the fence about it may be picking it up because of the recent translation efforts, so the game will be playable and understandable even if a bit of work will need to be done to enjoy it, but it has a niche enough interest that some will be fine doing that to experience the game.

I watched the first episode of Twin Peaks for the first time last night because of this thread, just thought "hey everyone says it's great and I haven't seen it yet."

It was kind of slow and boring, couldn't keep my attention during all the miscellanous teen drama stuff. I don't really care who is in love with who or cheating on whoever else. Does it get better on that front? More into the detective work and less soap opera?

I watched the first episode of Twin Peaks for the first time last night because of this thread, just thought "hey everyone says it's great and I haven't seen it yet."

It was kind of slow and boring, couldn't keep my attention during all the miscellanous teen drama stuff. I don't really care who is in love with who or cheating on whoever else. Does it get better on that front? More into the detective work and less soap opera?

Yes then no then yes

then no

Dusk Golem

Keep going, the general consensus you will read in Twin Peaks threads is see if you're invested by episode 3 or 4, and if not, should probably drop it.

Twin Peaks is many things, but part of it is a soap opera, or maybe how more view it, a parody of a soap opera. But obviously there's much more to it and that's only one side of Twin Peaks; all I'll say is there's a reason Twin Peaks is remembered years later, and gets referenced a lot as one of the weirdest TV series ever and you'll see it pop up a lot on scariest TV shows ever list as well.

Twin Peaks is like some weird hybrid of a parody soap opera meets a crime-thriller meets a surreal horror work made by David Lynch, and then mixed in with just general weirdness and quirkiness.

Taruranto

Season 2 is basically a soap opera.

I guess I was expecting it to be more like all the things that were inspired by it, but it seems like the media inspired by it just took the good parts, or whatever that media required as inspiration. Which shouldn't be unexpected, it just didn't grab me at first blush.

I am going to guess Lynch has no love for video games and he wouldn't just give his blessing and let it go at that. He probably would have to oversee it and he probably would never want to bother with that.

Deadly Premonition had to be reworked to remove blatant references to Twin Peaks from what I understand.

Not sure if it was a cease and desist type of thing or voluntary.

Just watched the Rainy Woods trailer again...how the hell did they think they'd get away with that? Final game is kinda like some weird Twin Peaks fan fic re-telling, but the original trailer does nothing but yell "Twin Peaks" to me.

I guess I was expecting it to be more like all the things that were inspired by it, but it seems like the media inspired by it just took the good parts, or whatever that media required as inspiration. Which shouldn't be unexpected, it just didn't grab me at first blush.

well, yeah, it's not all in the first episode.

chaislip3

Anyone played Kentucky Route Zero? How Twin Peak-ey is it?

There are a lot of parts that have Twin Peaks vibes for sure. A lot of David Lynch influence, I think. There's one sequence in Part 3 that takes place in a bar that is definitely reminiscent of it.

At least power through the first season, its short as is. I guess if you're not feeling it by episode 2 (excluding the pilot) it prob won't work its magic on you regardless. Most of season 2 is throwaway unfortunately, and the prequel film is another beast entirely. Much darker tone, almost none of the silliness of the series, but pretty damn compelling in its own right for my money.

The show didn't grab me either. I watched both seasons, didn't like it at all. I hated the final scene/ending. Acting was pretty good, plot was 4.5/10.

Top Bottom