• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman (Episode 1) - Review Thread

Opencritic

Eurogamer - Recommended

Hitman's return is in danger of being overlooked this week - it launches neck-and-neck with Tom Clancy's The Division, a game that aims to be the next Destiny, with a gigantic, lustrous world and a mighty ladder of unlocks to scale. As dubious a move as this may seem commercially, it's fitting to see a game as vast and, at times, vacuous as The Division launching alongside a game that's all about detail and volatility, where weaselling a target out of a packed room can take up to an hour. Without wishing to knock Ubisoft's work too much, Hitman's design is much more rewarding to ponder - it asks for experimentation and mastery, rather than mere patience and the ability to follow a waypoint. Agent 47's return is long overdue, and so far, very welcome. Roll on episode two.

GameSpot - 7/10

Hitman's opening act isn't ground-breaking, with a host of tiny problems lending it a dated feel. When you drop a body into a freezer, there's no animation connecting the process together; there's a hard cut from dragging the body to hiding it. Load times are frustratingly long, lasting just under a full minute when reloading saves. This alone is especially disappointing, given how fun it can be to iterate on your methods by reloading saves and experimenting, a process that's tainted by extended downtime. However, Hitman's a veritable playground that will delight you with its open-ended design, comical NPCs, and contract creation tools. These qualities, and the flexibility to be as hardcore or laid back as you want, are much appreciated, even if they don't disguise Hitman's lesser qualities.

Destructoid - 7/10

Stealing a staff uniform from the locker room, dropping your gun into a wastebasket so you can let a guard frisk you before he lets you into the room of a Sheik, then knocking the Shiek out, stealing his clothes, and infiltrating a high-society sale of state secrets so you can tamper with an outdoor heater and let a woman blow herself up when she goes to grab a smoke. That's Hitman's highs. But IO's unique pricing model means an investment in future levels that might not add enough new ideas or scenarios and you're largely relying on user content to pad out time between new areas. The PS4 menu performance and load times are a major, major drag, too, even if the game plays perfectly once you're in. Still, the deadpan slapstick of emerging from a washroom crate like a trapdoor spider to shoot a Russian colonel in the back of the head is enough of a good time.

VideoGamer
- 8/10

Despite its failings, Hitman's first episode offers hours of classic play before you even consider the secondary targets, time-limited contracts, and the prologue, which features a smaller yet feature-complete training mission. What's here represents a strong start, and a fine return to the more traditional Hitman play that fans have been clamouring for. Elsewhere, it needs to improve.

IGN - 7.9

One thing’s for sure: The more I've played Hitman’s debut “episode” the more I've enjoyed it. Despite the often boneheaded AI and dire loading times, Hitman has definitely combined the best of both worlds. There’s scope for it to improve in some areas as the levels are released throughout the year but this is a fun, confident start.

Mine
Rated it a Buy for ACG (Formally Angrycentaurgaming) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26MTiR-6GTg

I would say its one of the more enjoyable levels of Hitman I have ever played and adding in the challenges and other addons I have logged more time with that one level than 4 or 5 in past titles. There is something to be said for almost sliding through a level from point to point and then finding an opportunity you never heard before and having to decide which way to go. Sadly A couple issues exist in the PS4 version when it comes to frame-rate that even locking it doesn't fix.

Here's our review on Push Square. Return to form seemed to be the sentiment from our reviewer:

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/hitman_intro_pack

No review from us yet (we want to try out elusive targets properly and see if the launch servers are any good) but some early impressions, skewed mostly toward how well the episodic nature of the game fits the series perfectly.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/hitman-ear...ect-fit-agent-47s-murderous-escapades-1548549

I'm really enjoying it though, surprised to see scores creeping below 8/10. I played the second episode too, and was starting to get some major GOTY vibes. If the other episodes are as good as the first two, this will be fantastic.

As long as we're sharing reviews, here's ours from WCCFtech, rated 8/10:

Our review is up as well

http://www.gamezilla.pl/recenzje/2016/03/recenzja-hitman-pakiet-misji-w-paryzu

No score, waiting for more content to make a final judgment

pros:

freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedoooooooom
graphical/technical performance is actually quite decent (not perfect but better than in beta, loading times aside)

cons:

not enough content even for only a starter
it's getting repetetive very fast after 3-4 tries
always-online or you are stucked with story missions only
AI is still bad

Karak

Mine
Rated it a Buy for ACG (Formally Angrycentaurgaming) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26MTiR-6GTg

I would say its one of the more enjoyable levels of Hitman I have ever played and adding in the challenges and other addons I have logged more time with that one level than 4 or 5 in past titles. There is something to be said for almost sliding through a level from point to point and then finding an opportunity you never heard before and having to decide which way to go. Sadly A couple issues exist in the PS4 version when it comes to frame-rate that even locking it doesn't fix.

Here's our review on Push Square. Return to form seemed to be the sentiment from our reviewer:

At the end of the day, Hitman's buzzword is freedom. There are so many things to do – and so many ways to do them – that you'll never have to persevere to find something fun to do. It's all in front of you: a bloody, disturbing playground rife with opportunity. The trial and error gameplay brings back memories of older Hitman titles, while new ideas such as the excellent Escalation mode keep things fresh. Simply put, the Intro Pack is a great buy for old fans and new blood alike – there aren't many stealth games of this calibre.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/hitman_intro_pack

Skippy27

Neo Member
No review from us yet (we want to try out elusive targets properly and see if the launch servers are any good) but some early impressions, skewed mostly toward how well the episodic nature of the game fits the series perfectly.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/hitman-ear...ect-fit-agent-47s-murderous-escapades-1548549

I'm really enjoying it though, surprised to see scores creeping below 8/10. I played the second episode too, and was starting to get some major GOTY vibes. If the other episodes are as good as the first two, this will be fantastic.

Can you clarify this comment? I'm assuming the prologue is labelled "Episode 1" and Paris is "Episode 2", correct?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
One minute long loading times on deaths kill it for me. That's just not acceptable, I expect to die a lot because I play Hitman only on hardest difficulty and Silent Assassin. Too bad. :-(

Alexious

As long as we're sharing reviews, here's ours from WCCFtech, rated 8/10:

Overall, I'm impressed with Hitman as a title. Whatever you think of the decisions around it becoming episodic, it's hard to take away from the fact that this feels like the most polished Hitman game. Carefully pick your time to purchase to suit your needs, and you almost certainly won't be disappointed.

Karak

One minute long loading times on deaths kill it for me. That's just not acceptable, I expect to die a lot because I play Hitman only on hardest difficulty and Silent Assassin. Too bad. :-(

Ya a PS4 with an ssd cuts it down.
How many targets do you have in paris?
First time through 2. After that...well there is the contracts mode, the time sensitive hits, and a couple other situations. As a original Hitman fan I can say this is some of the most fun I have had in the series bar none.

BibiMaghoo

When you drop a body into a freezer, there's no animation connecting the process together; there's a hard cut from dragging the body to hiding it.

This is a pretty stupid complaint in my opinion. Doing it this way cuts down on the time it takes to do , which is a good thing. There is little more annoying than time wasting animations without cause.

NekoFever

Considering the thread about Eurogamer and The Division the other day, the first sentence of the Hitman review excerpt is hilarious.

Moff

I expected that the beta would be a considerable part of the first episode, after all I spent 5 hours with it to get all the challenges and "finish" it

What the hell, the loading was actually damn short in the beta. Those were just training levels but still, I really liked that. Now it's a full minute? Good lord, Witcher 3 loading times after death :(.

When is the second episode coming? Anything about the Xbox One version?

Most complaints are on the technical side, I see. The gameplay seems to be what we want from a Hitman game.

Cautiously optimistic that the technical issues will be less pronounced on PC.

Skippy27

Neo Member

Can you clarify this comment? I'm assuming the prologue is labelled "Episode 1" and Paris is "Episode 2", correct?
Nope, Paris is Episode 1, I played the next episode set in Italy at a Square preview event. It's set for release in April

Catvoca

Banned
Think I'll wait until there's more parts out and the technical issues are fixed, but I'm pleased to see a positive reception! I hope this ends up being the Blood Money 2 I want it to be.

Karak

Most complaints are on the technical side, I see. The gameplay seems to be what we want from a Hitman game.

Cautiously optimistic that the technical issues will be less pronounced on PC.

For me this was absolutely true. The FPS was a bit off at times and the loading was longer than I would have liked but the freeform gameplay and almost blanket of audio both voice and sound, was awesome to experience.

Floex

What the hell, the loading was actually damn short in the beta. Those were just training levels but still, I really liked that. Now it's a full minute? Good lord, Witcher 3 loading times after death :(.

When is the second episode coming? Anything about the Xbox One version?

You considered them short? Wow, felt very long to me.

For me this was absolutely true. The FPS was a bit off at times and the loading was longer than I would have liked but the freeform gameplay and almost blanket of audio both voice and sound, was awesome to experience.

Excellent. Looking forward to switching up between this and The Division in the coming weeks.

Saty

According to Giant Bomb's QL, the retail\disc version of the game that will have everything is scheduled for January 2017.

Luq

Our review is up as well

http://www.gamezilla.pl/recenzje/2016/03/recenzja-hitman-pakiet-misji-w-paryzu

No score, waiting for more content to make a final judgment

pros:

freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedoooooooom
graphical/technical performance is actually quite decent (not perfect but better than in beta, loading times aside)

cons:

not enough content even for only a starter
it's getting repetetive very fast after 3-4 tries
always-online or you are stucked with story missions only
AI is still bad

Karak

So is that Paris level indeed HUGE and can you pretty much access any room?

Ya its pretty damn big. It also incorporated a good bit of verticiality with overarching rooms as well. In fact there are some challenges tied into that aspect. Its a fairly sprawling mansion. As i said in my review you can totally see a prissy bastard and his hate filled wife living in this massive place throwing parties.

Once you get the new staryting points you start seeing totally new areas that you might not have seen in your first run throughs as well. Which is awesome.

Excellent. Looking forward to switching up between this and The Division in the coming weeks.
Ya as a Hitman fan I am excited to see the later stuff.

The beta felt more clunky the hit man absolution on last gen and has tons of awkward animations not to mention the terrible gunshots etc

Hopefully this is massively improved from there. Can anyone confirm this doesn't have the terrible fps / performance issues the beta had?

Karak

The beta felt more clunky the hit man absolution on last gen and has tons of awkward animations not to mention the terrible gunshots etc

Hopefully this is massively improved from there. Can anyone confirm this doesn't have the terrible fps / performance issues the beta had?

Improved but not perfect. Even locking the FPS on the PS4 whcih is an option there are some drops.

Can not wait for the CE to arrive tomorrow! With that said, i've stopped reading reviews a long time ago because nowadays there is enough info on the web to make an educated buy!

PS
1 min load on deaths suck thou, but i had worse with Bloodborne before the patch! Wonder what's up with Square games and long loading times?!?

DedValve

Banned
Hitman is out? oh hell yes I am in!

I hope buying all the episodes individually doesn't go past $60. That'd be a sleazy move if it does (unless they go a full service route and keep adding episodes continuously).

Don't care about the reviews but I'm here for detailed technical impressions.

Bummer about the load times. It didn't seem so bad in beta for me when I tried restarting missions.

Hitman game gets repetitive?

I knew I shouldn't have got my hopes up for this. I know, I know..only one review, one opinion but repetitive and Hitman should never be uttered in the same sentence.

Ever.

BibiMaghoo

Hitman is out? oh hell yes I am in!

I hope buying all the episodes individually doesn't go past $60. That'd be a sleazy move if it does (unless they go a full service route and keep adding episodes continuously).

$5 over, which I think is more than acceptable.

You considered them short? Wow, felt very long to me.

The loading for the two missions and loading after dying wasn't really long. Certainly no Witcher 3 after death loading times.

Ya its pretty damn big. It also incorporated a good bit of verticiality with overarching rooms as well. In fact there are some challenges tied into that aspect. Its a fairly sprawling mansion. As i said in my review you can totally see a prissy bastard and his hate filled wife living in this massive place throwing parties.

Once you get the new staryting points you start seeing totally new areas that you might not have seen in your first run throughs as well. Which is awesome.

Ya as a Hitman fan I am excited to see the later stuff.

That's great to hear. I am a huge Hitman fan and I love to explore around, check things out and marvel at the details. I don't have the time right now, but I will definitely check your review out. I want to know about Contracts as well.

Karak

I knew I shouldn't have got my hopes up for this. I know, I know..only one review, one opinion but repetitive and Hitman should never be uttered in the same sentence.

Ever.

Hitman isn't repetitive...how about that sentence miles.

Sounds great so far
DklOACS.gif

Karak

Ever.

Do we know how many maps in total?

I'm ok with a lower number if they are all as big as paris but I do love diversity.

Including prologue 7. I was also informed that they are as big or bigger than Paris each. Take that as you will but it was my first question.

BibiMaghoo

Do we know how many maps in total?

I'm ok with a lower number if they are all as big as paris but I do love diversity.

6 have been announced with their locations, but they have carefully worded it as 'season 1'. I think if the game sells well, we will get a season two of maps next year.

NySpeed

Mine

Always love your reviews man, loyal subriber here

Top Bottom