• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: 98% of PC Copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider Were Bought on Steam

250px-Rise_of_the_Tomb_Raider.jpg

From the new article on the closure of Lionhead there was this little tidbit.

“When we started the project we weren’t aware of Windows 10,” says a source. “We were going to ship on Xbox One initially and then we wanted to come out on PC at a later point, most likely though Steam. But we got burnt quite badly.”

“Without Steam, without other platforms, it was just painful,” says another. “The Windows Store is a giant disaster. It’s on fire. 98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam. The same is true for Minecraft. That hurt us, too. The store’s a mess; the number of people who couldn’t even install the game from the Microsoft store was… significant.”

Windows 10 installs also lagging behind Microsoft's expectations.

Windows 10 installs, too, were nowhere near what Microsoft had planned...“There are supposed to be 2x as many Xboxes out there as there are right now. There are supposed to be 2x as many Windows 10 installs as there currently are.

Going off current steamspy numbers that would put the Windows Store version around ~15000 copies sold.

The Chef

Its strange how I am not willing to go all digital with PS4...yet the idea of owning a game disc for PC seems archaic to me.

I seriously got burnt buying the Windows Store version. I wanted to support alternate PC distribution platforms—Valve's stranglehold is scary.

This was before the brouhaha over Quantum Break, GoW, etc., so I wasn't aware of all the limitations going in.

LewieP

Well that might explain why Microsoft have been reluctant to give out any Windows App Store sales data.

Only other datapoint I've seen was from ustwo for Monument Valley.

The Windows App Store is barely a rounding error.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah I'm not sure why you would use the Windows Store if you had a choice.

It's not like you could get super cheap GMG keys for uPlay or Origin.

CHC

MS came in too late with too little. Honestly if I got a free key for use in the Windows 20 store is probably try the game and then just buy it elsewhere if I liked it.

I'd sort like to play Gears of War or Quantum Break but as it is right now I just don't even want to engage with the W10 store.

Judging by those figures I'm far from the only one.

kulapik

I don't think I have used the Windows Store besides the first day with Windows 10 and the day Killer Instinct came out. Should open it for Forza Apex at some point.

Vuze

The Windows Store is a giant disaster
What? I thought not being able to update my applications/games no matter which cache I clear or which update I install was a great feature :O

Cess007

"The store’s a mess; the number of people who couldn’t even install the game from the Microsoft store was… significant.”

That.... that really doesn't inspire any confidence on me to ever buy something from there.

Blackage

I seriously got burnt buying the Windows Store version. I wanted to support alternate PC distribution platforms—Valve's strangehold is scary.

This was before the brouhaha over Quantum Break, GoW, etc., so I wasn't aware of all the limitations going in.

Youplayedtourself.gif :(

I'd love to know what percentage of W10 sales came from the Ukrainian store. I would never have bought that game full price in my own country's W10 store.

Calzone

Neo Member
I honestly didn't even realize that it came out on Steam. I thought it was a Windows Store exclusive and completely wrote it off.

Welfare

Another quote from the article

“There are supposed to be 2x as many Xboxes out there as there are right now. There are supposed to be 2x as many Windows 10 installs as there currently are. ..."

So did Microsoft expect like 40 million Xbox's by now? ~600m Windows 10 devices? Wonder when those projection's were made.

Doffen

Shocker. The vastly more popular store gets more sales than the new one with a bad reputation.

Well that might explain why Microsoft have been reluctant to give out any Windows App Store sales data.

Only other datapoint I've seen was from ustwo for Monument Valley.

The Windows App Store is barely a rounding error.

Isn't that just Windows Phone though?

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
100% of PC Copies of Quantum Break were bought on the Windows Store...

MS will not change anything...unfortunately :(

Sunset Overdrive :(

WadeitOut

That means Quantum Break must have bombed hard on PC.

I don't think the correlation makes sense. People have been using steam for years. If given the choice they are going to use steam. That doesn't necessarily mean they would skip a game entirely when they have no steam option.

“Without Steam, without other platforms, it was just painful,” says another. “The Windows Store is a giant disaster. It’s on fire. 98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam.

I knew Windows 10 store has a hard time, but I really didn't think it would be THAT bad.

Wait I can get this on Steam? I hadn't gotten it cause I thought it was locked to the Windows store.

That store I've heard only bad things about. That store I've never even opened.

Got a game to add to my Steam wishlist lol

This gen it seems Microsoft exclusives have had a terrible time as system sellers. That system being the Windows Store or the Xbox One.

Glad to hear that games on the windows store are selling badly,trying to force the consumer to use something they do not want or has no benefit to them rarely works.

iNvid02

even with that insane discount? lol

im fine with other stores/clients, but the windows store and what it entails is over reaching

Lol of course it is. And you can bet it's a best case scenario, considering people buying it for the price region.

This Windows Store is a disaster on so many levels and I'm happy the market reacts accordingly.

catiger32

Neo Member
To be fair, x number of copies(no idea the number) were given away through a NVidia promotion, and you had to claim it through Steam. That's how I got my copy when I bought a 980.

Top Bottom