• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: 98% of PC Copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider Were Bought on Steam

So did Microsoft expect like 40 million Xbox's by now? ~600m Windows 10 devices? Wonder when those projection's were made.

You'd think they would have lowered sales expectations for the Xbone years ago.

As for Windows 10, that's pretty surprising, but it does explain the forced installs as of late.

Corpekata

Banned
Not only expected, I hope this also shuts up some of the "Well, you could get X game for Y price via an obscure method" people that like to pretend they are some major chunk of the sales and not just something the small deal hunter contingent goes after.

This quote says it all:

“Without Steam, without other platforms, it was just painful,” says another. “The Windows Store is a giant disaster. It’s on fire. 98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam. The same is true for Minecraft. That hurt us, too. The store’s a mess; the number of people who couldn’t even install the game from the Microsoft store was… significant.”

Yet people will flock to defend MS and act like MS will benefit greatly from their store. It won't work at all.

And this is going to be Microsoft Game's business plan for the future.

Woooo boy, it's gonna be a bumpy ride for their exclusives.
Well not necessarily. QB only came out on the Windows Store, there wasn't an option to play it on Steam like there was with Tomb Raider.

I guess it probably did ok but this overall isn't looking to hopeful for the Win10 store.

I'm glad people were smart enough to buy the version that had more features.

I can see their dedication to PC gaming ending before it ever really began. Just because they shit it out on only on the W10 store and nobody buys it then we get the execs saying "there's no market for this!!"

Yeah people are so tied into their Steam library and friends now that it's hard to pry them loose.

They're also tied to overlays, quicker update releases and other common PC features that were missing from the W10 store version.

LQX

Sort of shocking how MS could miss the digital future that was upon on PC. EVERYONE but them saw it coming and saw getting bigger and bigger but they wanted it all with little effort just because their companies name is Microsoft.

This quote says it all:

“Without Steam, without other platforms, it was just painful,” says another. “The Windows Store is a giant disaster. It’s on fire. 98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam. The same is true for Minecraft. That hurt us, too. The store’s a mess; the number of people who couldn’t even install the game from the Microsoft store was… significant.”

Yet people will flock to defend MS and act like MS will benefit greatly from their store. It won't work at all.

If Microsoft wants to get back to PC, they'll have to comply to Steam/Origins/Uplay. Period. I'm tired of all these publishers releasing yet another store, lagging behind, bringing nothing except shit policies and higher prices. I can't understand why Microsoft treats Steam/Origin/Uplay as 3rd parties when they make their OS relevant for gaming.

Grief.exe

This quote says it all:

From previous threads, those people tend to be console only players who have no investment or knowledge of the PC platform.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I am the 2%. I'm also a dirty cheap fucker who bought it on the indian store. I humbly await my oppurtunity to register the game on Steam. :lol.

Yeah I'm not sure why you would use the Windows Store if you had a choice.

It's not like you could get super cheap GMG keys for uPlay or Origin.

It was 6 euros. Or 7. One of the two. Even then I feel filthy supporting Microsoft :lol

At least Microsoft's hubris gave us Windows 10 for free. I can't believe they thought the Windows Store would be a hit.

LewieP

Yeah people are so tied into their Steam library and friends now that it's hard to pry them loose.

People are open (to varying degrees) to Battle.net, uPlay, Origin, GOG, buying Minecraft direct & countless MOBAs or MMOs with a standalone client.

It is a rejection of the Windows App Store more than it is people being exclusive to Steam.

GRaider81

Yeah any PC players with an ounce of sense (98% seemingly) wouldn't buy from that store unless they had to.

My experience with the store has been terrible, shocking download speeds and a terribly performing game in QB even with a beastly rig.

KI was ok but I've learnt my lesson and won't be buying in the future unless it's massively improved even if that means missing out on Forza horizon 3.

People are open (to varying degrees) to Battle.net, uPlay, Origin, GOG, buying Minecraft direct & countless MOBAs or MMOs with a standalone client.

It is a rejection of the Windows App Store more than it is people being exclusive to Steam.

Yep anecdotally I have games spread around on all the above and don't have a problem using them for games I want to play.

Did I somehow fall into a wormhole and fall out in 2007?

Because MS is embarrassing themselves with thier PC gaming plans again.

This quote says it all:

May be a wake-up call for some in the Scorpio thread. All they've been banging on about for weeks is how "UWP" is going to change everything.

LordRaptor

Sort of shocking how MS could miss the digital future that was upon on PC. EVERYONE but them saw it coming and saw getting bigger and bigger but they wanted it all with little effort just because their companies name is Microsoft.

They had a robust digital store with most of the features their competitors had, but the Xbox division let it turn into a fucking dumpster fire to prop up the 360.

madjoki

Windows Store is doing worse than I expected. Also explains why this is only game that was released by Square Enix there and on Steam.

Could be worse. They could not be on PC at all.

Gers & Forza are simply tests, Microsoft might very well cancel all plans for PC gaming, if they do badly.

Three

“There are supposed to be 2x as many Xboxes out there as there are right now. There are supposed to be 2x as many Windows 10 installs as there currently are."

For anybody who still thinks Xbox is meeting sales expectations.

he next Fable project was originally intended to be an expansive single-player game that built on the series’ heritage, set in a sprawling London-like city. But that pitch was rejected, and at some point between July and October 2012, the next Fable game had become Fable Legends.

*Sobs*

May be a wake-up call for some in the Scorpio thread. All they've been banging on about for weeks is how "UWP" is going to change everything.

Yep, but I don't think it will stop them, a lot of posts in those threads are fan fiction and rose coloured glasses type of posts. Ignorance is bliss as they say. Nothing you say will change their minds regardless how right you are.

Mithos

Seems it uses Denuvo so there's no cracked torrents for it. So the other 2% must be from the people who used the Ukranian method.

And that is why I'm not part of neither the 98% nor the 2%, and I want the game.

But hot damn 98% on Steam ^^

Alexm92

Lol. This is definitely deserved

I acually bought the game on Windows store but that was only because I got it cheap on the Ukrainian store

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Did I somehow fall into a wormhole and fall out in 2007?

Because MS is embarrassing themselves with thier PC gaming plans again.

They always do, then they bow out. Then random PR goes "This time we'll be on PC 4 realz!!" and then the cycle repeats. Been going on for a good 10 years at this point.

Nyoro SF

Not a surprise. Windows Store might have the worst "pull" of any platform I've ever seen. Anemic is probably the best word to describe it.

LordRaptor

Yep, but I don't think it will stop them, a lot of posts in those threads are fan fiction and rose coloured glasses type of posts. Ignorance is bliss as they say

tPp4kV3.gif

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Well no fucking shit. The windows store is still new, while Steam is 10 years old, controls the majority of the market, and I believe it was steamworks everywhere but the Windows store.

That's not saying the Windows store isn't a PoS. But it's probably going to be similar for most titles.

Not surprising. There are other stores that consumers are fine with - GoG, Humble Store, Battle.Net, etc and to more varying degrees Origin, uPlay and such, the "Steam monopoly" is severely overplayed, the real issue is having a terrible storefront/client and absolutely nothing of value to offer in terms of features and such.

MS made the same mistake that EA and Ubisoft did except even worse, and it's biting them in the ass even worse than it did for them as a consequence.

wapplew

Build already happened though? Unless you're being sarcastic

Only half joking. But really, little by little MS will get there as long as they stick with it. They have the resource and monopoly, they can fix surface and Windows 8, they can fix shitty store.

derExperte

Was about to say, Steam is my first choice but I have all those other store clients installed, even the Epic Launcher, and prefer them by a mile over the Windows store. Which I like for apps but for games it's a joke, I'd buy QB again if it came to one of the others (okay, not for full price).

Top Bottom