• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: 98% of PC Copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider Were Bought on Steam

Yep, but I don't think it will stop them, a lot of posts in those threads are fan fiction and rose coloured glasses type of posts. Ignorance is bliss as they say

Yep and the main problem with those sort of posts is that they use the number of Windows 10 installs as the potential market size for those games when in reality most consumers have no idea that the Windows Store evens exists, let alone would ever think to use it to spend $60 on a game.

iNvid02

now im curious to see how much better win store exclusives like qb fare, but that is probably tainted by the performance issues it had, and ofc would be rosied up a little with the free xbox copies

Kssio_Aug

PC players are used to own every game on Steam. Also, UWP still doesn't support many tools. I wouldn't expect much different, tbh.

MS would need to have better prices and / or support mods, 3rd party applications, among other things if they want to expand their user base.

Glix

Their only chance at getting enough users to engage with this store would be to make it the only way to get Minecraft.

Here's the problem: MS needs Win10 and UWP to be somewhat successful for them and their ongoing future plan. If this fails, what happens next?

jediyoshi

I can't understand why Microsoft treats Steam/Origin/Uplay as 3rd parties when they make their OS relevant for gaming.

It's sad because developers themselves being published under Microsoft on Steam are completely utilizing Steam's built in features.

Age of Empires 2 HD and Fable Anniversary have Steam workshop support
Halo Spartan Assault/Strike, Ori, and basically everything else supports Steam cloud saves

Deadbeat

Banned
I know its been posted many times but Im going to state it again anyways: I want to know how many of those sales on the Windows Store were due to the price glitch. I am really curious now.

Im glad the market has spoken wisely.
MS really has some work to do convincing PC gamers to buy from their store. E3 will be very interesting
Theres nothing they can do to convince me with the state it is in right now. Until they change their motto, its not happening.

You forgot the appropriate image:
cdi2.gif

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I have Windows 10 and I have no idea how to access the windows store. I was looking into QB (even after the technical issues and price) but whatever.

Gurnlei

Microsoft should stop trying to shove something that feels like an app store for mobile devices on a desktop OS. From my experience with the Windows Store it felt clunky while being too simple at the same time. It would be fine mobile apps but not for large games that I might want stored on a different drive.

Three

I can't understand why Microsoft treats Steam/Origin/Uplay as 3rd parties when they make their OS relevant for gaming.

Because it makes sense. They get nothing from Steam, Origin or Uplay but the games on Steam, Origin, and Uplay make their OS relevant anyway because a lot of them are DX and require Windows. They already have gaming relevance in their OS they just want a cut now.

wrowa

Wasn't it really easy to get RoTR for super cheap using the Windows 10 store from some country in Easter Europe? I'm surprised this wasn't (ab)used by more people.

Other than that, the sales aren't particularly surprising. They need to put a lot more work into the Win 10 store if they want to position it as a competitor to Steam. Right now it's a mess no one wants to use voluntarily. I'm not against MS trying to establish its own PC gaming platform - I want more MS games on PC and that's just the way that makes sense for them -, but they need to put a lot of work into Windows 10's gaming features if they want to make a dent.

LordRaptor

MS really has some work to do convincing PC gamers to buy from their store. E3 will be very interesting

even if you think the concept of UWA is completely fine and that the W10 store is just another storefront;
- you can't preorder titles. So if you see an ad for something that looks cool you can't buy it now.
- you can't wishlist titles. So if you see an ad for something that looks cool you can't sign up for any follow up information like a release date.
- you can't view an unreleased titles landing page. So if you see an ad for something that looks cool you can't even find out more information about it.
So all marketing campaigns outside of "THIS IS OUT NOW AND YOU CAN BUY IT NOW" are literally wasted money.

I mean, this is just elementary level shit

ScribbleD

Makes me cry inside for Killer Instinct. Figured a PC release with cross-platform play would be a wonderful shot in the arm for the game and its community, but of course MS had to fuck the dog on that one.

Not particularly surprising. PC Gamers tend to latch onto Steam like it's their one true savior.

You're saying this in the very same thread where the storefront is being described as a disaster, and the many ways in which it is horribly flawed are listed in the OP and various other posts. It seems like people have a pretty good reason to be attached to Steam.

Because it makes sense. They get nothing from Steam, Origin or Uplay but the games on Steam, Origin, and Uplay make their OS relevant anyway because a lot of them are DX and require Windows. They already have gaming relevance in their OS they just want a cut now.

They already have a 70% cut. Even 100% if they sell it from their site. I mean, it's downright stupid and it shows it. I don't see how in the world these 30% more compensate for 98% less sales.

Sorcerer

Wasn't it really easy to get RoTR for super cheap using the Windows 10 store from some country in Easter Europe? I'm surprised this wasn't (ab)used by more people.

From I am reading in this thread, some aren't even aware of the Windows Store or how to access it. I thinks that's the major problem right there. You can't abuse something you are not even aware of.

velociraptor

The Windows store is straight garbage. I can't download ANY apps from it. I've tried to download Netflix for 3 days straight but it just hangs.

jett

D-Member
I usually don't favor virtual monopolies such as Steam, but Microsoft's Window Store can die in a dumpster fire.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Not particularly surprising. PC Gamers tend to latch onto Steam like it's their one true savior.

You've got a point. League of Legends, World of Tanks, World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, Hearthstone, and Overwatch are all dead because they aren't on Steam.

Kssio_Aug

Makes me cry inside for Killer Instinct. Figured a PC release with cross-platform play would be a wonderful shot in the arm for the game and its community, but of course MS had to fuck the dog on that one.
Killer Instinct works nice on W10 store, doesnt it?

Sjefen

even if you think the concept of UWA is completely fine and that the W10 store is just another storefront;
- you can't preorder titles. So if you see an ad for something that looks cool you can't buy it now.
- you can't wishlist titles. So if you see an ad for something that looks cool you can't sign up for any follow up information like a release date.
- you can't view an unreleased titles landing page. So if you see an ad for something that looks cool you can't even find out more information about it.
So all marketing campaigns outside of "THIS IS OUT NOW AND YOU CAN BUY IT NOW" are literally wasted money.

I mean, this is just elementary level shit

I barely touched the Windows store but damn they need to sort this shit out fast.

You've got a point. League of Legends, World of Tanks, World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, Hearthstone, and Overwatch are all dead because they aren't on Steam.

It's truly sad.

I feel like League of Legends could've been one of the biggest games in the world.

But alas, arrogant PC players killed it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well I'm glad that PC gamers are showing some common sense and avoiding Win 10 store/UWP's.

I'm just sad that this will be the only real way to play Scalebound.

Top Bottom