• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs can use Scorpio's 6 teraflops however they wish(wont force 4k), says Spencer

Speaking in the video (below), Spencer explained that Scorpio is a "6 teraflop gaming machine, which will be a great gaming machine for true 4K gaming, giving you a native 4K frame buffer so you can see games in all their beauty.

"Or," he continued, "if developers want to use those 6 teraflops in other ways they're free to do that."

Spencer's comments suggest that developers may be able to use Scorpio's additional power to deliver more visually impressive games at a lower resolution, rather than be forced to render at native 4K.

However, they seem to conflict with comments made by Spencer earlier today, where he said that players still using a 1080p TV are "not going to see" any benefit from upgrading to Scorpio. If developers can use the additional power to deliver more impressive graphics - albeit at the cost of a native 4K resolution - clearly that won't be the case.

https://youtu.be/QtFUTiwPcQs

http://www.videogamer.com/news/deve...teraflops_however_they_wish_says_spencer.html

Kyoufu

I thought Scorpio wouldn't do anything for a 1080p image? This has to be the most confusing messaging since the original Xbox One reveal, holy shit.

Maybe he meant that people playing on a 1080p display won't notice a difference when gaming in 4K, specifically? Very confusing messaging.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
They really should've given more details during their conferences, this conflicting messaging between different interviews is really confusing.

7NBWyvV.jpg

So which one is it?

I thought Scorpio wouldn't do anything for a 1080p image? This has to be the most confusing messaging since the original Xbox One reveal, holy shit.

Maybe he meant that people playing on a 1080p display won't notice a difference when gaming in 4K, specifically? Very confusing messaging.

They really should've given more details during their conferences, this conflicting messaging between different interviews is really confusing.

Yeah I have no idea what is going on anymore. MS, please get better at explaining things in a way that does not confuse people. These are two contradictory statments standing side by side going by the other thread.

IbelieveinPhilSpencer.jpeg

I just don't know what part to believe since none of this actually makes sense

DrArchon

Wait, so it won't do anything for you if you don't have a 4k TV, but the devs don't have to make their games run in 4k because they can use that extra power elsewhere, but also their won't be Scorpio exclusive games so everything has to be on the normal XB1 as well.

Jesus Christ this is confusing.

Scorpio being a 4k only machine would be exquisitely dumb, so I'm basically assuming that people have their wires crossed and it's exactly like a Neo scenario where as long as the games run on the base console, they can upgrade the graphics and framerate on the Scorpio.

This is more worse than the Xbox one reveal, but then it was different people saying conflicting reports. This time its just Phil.

Look Phil if you are reading this I'm getting confused as with all of this. Best to shut up and wait and get the facts ironed out rather then this cluster!!!

You will only see benefit if you own 4K TV

Devs dont need to do 4K

What's the point then?

There will be Scorpio only games its up to the dev.

There won't be Scorpio only games...

I think it's safe to assume that of course it will benefit 1080p users (even outside of downsampling or whatever). Limiting the power just for resolution uses would be absolutely ridicilous.

Yes, they do need to work on getting their messaging together.

I'm interested in Scorpio as a device that would represent a substantial leap in graphical fidelity over existing consoles. But, if the only leap were to be resolution, and not other graphical effects, what's the point (I don't have a 4k TV...yet).

I hope we'll see Scorpio games that are "next gen" experiences, even if there are versions of those games releasing on Xbox One.

They need to take a moment to review all the feedback and questions over Scorpio so far, analyzing their messaging, then go forward with a clear, defined message to present to consumers. I'm sure it's difficult because they want to sell Xbox One and One S now, but they also need to be careful about not turning potential consumers away from Scorpio at such an early point.

GHG

This is why you shouldn't reveal anything until your plans are 100% solidified and you have your messaging straightened up.

They need to stop talking about stuff and show us what all of this means instead. If you aren't ready to do that then stay quiet until you do.

The biggest problem they face at the moment is the fact that they have unvieled something when they have absolutely nothing to show. So all they will get are constant questions which leads to them constantly talking.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I hope they don't push the 4K thing as the de facto purpose of Scorpio. If they do so in the way Spencer has been in some of these interviews, pubs will probably just follow suit to jump on the '4K' buzzword, rather than offering appreciably better experiences at 1080p.

Well the comment about only those with 4K sets would reap the benefit was utter nonsense. So this makes more sense.

Do they not have meetings before these shows to make sure their messaging is on point?

Sydle

They made it less than 48 hours before bungling the message.

At least they're bringing everything to PC, so I can leave their confused console strategy behind.

MS continues to show they have no real clue what gaming is even about. You can coach these guys all you want but at the ends of the day they have no idea what is going on

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Cmon people, logic tells you it'll do whatever developers want, 1080p/60fps, 4K/30fps (though even at 6tf this seems tough). There's absolutely no way it'll mandate 4K.

otakukidd

Scorpio being a 4k only machine would be exquisitely dumb, so I'm basically assuming that people have their wires crossed and it's exactly like a Neo scenario where as long as the games run on the base console, they can upgrade the graphics and framerate on the Scorpio.
The thing about it is they seem to be pressing 4k gaming really hard. The problem is the system would only be powerful enough to run 4k at with Xbox one quality graphics.

Noobcraft

So 4k (Not Scorpio) won't help me with my 1080P display, and devs don't have to make games in 4k. Not that hard to say MS.

kiguel182

C'mon MS. I was like "yeah, they seem to be getting it" and then all of this comes out.

Is it only for 4K or is it for everything? Just pick one but at least stay consistent.

I have no idea what is happening anymore.

At this stage is there really much point in separate threads for all this 'news'? All the information is so conflicting it just doesn't seem worth it until they get their story straight.

RoKKeR

Ultimately, this is what I'm expecting. They just need to get on top of the messaging here, because it sort of spun out of control in the last few hours. (at least here on GAF, lots of threads to follow)

Top Bottom