• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs can use Scorpio's 6 teraflops however they wish(wont force 4k), says Spencer

Admittedly, Spencer and Co. really need to deliver a consistent message. After the fiasco that was the Xbox One launch, this here in unacceptable. Granted I'm sure e3 can be a whirlwind of endless interviews and video shoots and answering of questions which can throw anyone off their game but even still.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that MS won't mandate 4k for Scorpio and devs are free to do with the processing power what they'd like. Phil's answer to the "why should I get an Xbox One S, when Scorpio is 18 months away?" question was a bit odd.

I'm almost positive that folks who own a 1080p set who get Scorpio will enjoy as well if devs decide to have a game that runs at 1080p/60fps or increased visuals, increased fov, etc.

But MS needs to get their cards right. They really can't afford marketing and PR lapses.

Caio

7NBWyvV.jpg

So which one is it?

Scorpio will be a great piece of hardware.

Spencer is an idiot.

Two facts.

Metfanant

between the mixed messaging and just the impact this could have on the XB1's sales (even the new slim model) it really feels like the Scorpio announcement was rushed and I don't honestly see why

they could have waited until later this year to announce it and actually have all their ducks in a row

Because they've been scrambling to play catch up to the PS4 since day 1. They got caught with their pants down and still have not figured this out. With the Neo stuff flying around they felt they needed to announce something, anything...

What NEEDS to happen for MS is a complete break from the Xbone...when it comes time to launch Scorpio you rebrand completely, dont let "One" be any part of the name, or message for this thing...start a new generation...

For many games on both the Neo & the Scorpio, upgrading things that affect the gameplay will not be a possibility due to them having to share gameplay environments with PS4 & X1 users respectively.

Take Destiny 2 for example. When it launches next year, both the Neo & Scorpio will likely support Destiny 2. So we'll get better graphical visuals (textures, shaders, etc.) when the game is running on these machines. But, due to the fact that the X1 players are playing with Scorpio players & PS4 players are playing with Neo players - the framerate is going to be locked to what the PS4 & X1 run at (most likely 30fps, in this case).

This scenario will be true for all online games.

Players playing at differing framerates is a typical scenario for most online multiplayer games on PC and I thought the Neo guidelines allowed developers to increase framerate for Neo.

What the hell is going on with Microsoft? I thought after the Xbone DRM mess and getting rid of Mattrick the messaging would improve, but it hasn't. It's gotten worse somehow. It's only been two days.

Navid

I'm glad they kept the Scorpio announcement at their press conference short and to the point (power), because everything since then has been real messy...

Their messaging is all over the place and it seems completely crazy to me, devs can make exclusive games for Scorpio vs no they can not... Scorpio is for people who can take advantage of 4K resolution vs you can use the power how you wan't and don't need to hit 4K res.

They really need to figure out what what message they are trying to send here.

zoukka

When it's coming out of the head of xboxs mouth?.

Yes? If your president says he's a lizardperson do you believe him? Spencer has zero knowledge of tech. His previous statement was objectively false and anyone with a brain could've known it.

Guevara

My favorite thing about Scorpio is, it's whatever you want it to be!

• Want a console to take advantage of your new 4K television? It does that!
  • Want a console to play your favorite games in 1080P with stunning new image quality? Good news it does that too!
  • How about a console that works with popular VR headsets like Oculus and Vive? Sure, why not!
  • Want it to play new experiences? Want it to play only the same games as Xbox One? Either way! Or Both!
Nothing is impossible, because the possibilities haven't even been defined yet!

scsa

I feel Neo was conceptualized first, MS got to know of it and were thinking on similar lines, designed Scorpio, at least on paper, and revealed it first to outdo Sony. Now, they themselves don't have a firm idea of which direction to take this towards, as a fresh console in the hierarchy or sidestepping it to match 4K & the "impending" market upgrade to this resolution.

kingwingin

I dont see how people are comparing this to don mattrick. Xbox one was 4 months from launch andthey fumbled on more important issues like drm

Scorpio is 1.5 years from release and phil is just confusing people on resolution. They stated important things like backwards compatible games and accesories.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
it's a new console that can do 4K but doesn't have to do 4K. It's not that hard to understand.

if you don't have a 4K TV you're not getting the best out of it. Same as if you have a 720p TV now you're not really benefiting from 1080p.

Yes? If your president says he's a lizardperson do you believe him? Spencer has zero knowledge of tech. His previous statement was objectively false and anyone with a brain could've known it.

What was (technically) objectively false about the last statement exactly? Beyond the fact that it would be a brain dead stupid console if it just played xb1 graphics @ 4K.

liquidtmd

Banned
We're gonna have the highest quality pixels. The best pixels. The best.

'However many pixels Sony has, we're gonna have more. Just you'll need a 4k tv to notice when you play your non exclusive Scorpio games until the dev community decides otherwise at least. So you can buy an Xbox S in complete confidence we won't do a U-turn, although if you dont own a 4k tv I guess you could buy Scorpio, because it totally will make games look much better'

Interfectum

Seems odd to call people here stupid for what is clearly the fault of Microsoft's mixed/confused messaging.

sixamp

I dont understand what the confusion is? The Scorpio is the nextgen Xbox that will be 100% backward compatible with xbx1 games and hardware, it can game at 4k but devs dont ha e to push the console to the resolution so they can use the power of the box for visuals (like every console) and people with 1080p monitors or tvs wont see a benefit of 4k resolution but will see an increase in visuals based on textures and such (like every console/pc). You don't need a high resolution to make a game look amazing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They really just need to stop talking about this until they get together and get a list of talking points.

greenegt

Then why doesn't anyone at Microsoft comes out and say it?

You're acting like people forged this Phil Spencer quotes. He said this contradictory statements, people have all reason in being confused.

Yep. This should not be this hard for MS:

"Scorpio is the next evolution of Xbox hardware. It is a machine that allows developers to create great experiences with as few hurdles as possible. It will support VR and up to 4K native resolution."

That's all they have to say.

spookyfish

Speaking in the video (below), Spencer explained that Scorpio is a "6 teraflop gaming machine, which will be a great gaming machine for true 4K gaming, giving you a native 4K frame buffer so you can see games in all their beauty.

"Or," he continued, "if developers want to use those 6 teraflops in other ways they're free to do that."

Spencer's comments suggest that developers may be able to use Scorpio's additional power to deliver more visually impressive games at a lower resolution, rather than be forced to render at native 4K.

However, they seem to conflict with comments made by Spencer earlier today, where he said that players still using a 1080p TV are "not going to see" any benefit from upgrading to Scorpio. If developers can use the additional power to deliver more impressive graphics - albeit at the cost of a native 4K resolution - clearly that won't be the case.

https://youtu.be/QtFUTiwPcQs

http://www.videogamer.com/news/deve...teraflops_however_they_wish_says_spencer.html

But they won't make special Scorpio-only software.

Unless they do.

But they won't.

Geeeez, MS.

sense

i think it is pretty obvious the entire scorpio advertising is going to revolve around 4k and most powerful console so the messaging is going to reflect that. 4k is the buzzword

cackhyena

People actually believed the only reason to upgrade to Scorpio was for 4k? That would be a monumentally stupid move by MS moving forward. Messaging is definitely off here, though.

I dont understand what the confusion is? The Scorpio is the nextgen Xbox that will be 100% backward compatible with xbx1 games and hardware, it can game at 4k but devs dont ha e to push the console to the resolution so they can use the power of the box for visuals (like every console) and people with 1080p monitors or tvs wont see a benefit of 4k resolution but will see an increase in visuals based on textures and such (like every console/pc). You don't need a high resolution to make a game look amazing.

Well Phill told me if I don't have a 4K tv to just buy a S? Why is that?

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

Just a question, if i set my ps4 to render at 720p and play Uncharted 4, do i get any improvement in performance/graphics?

If not, i don't know why his previous statement is objectively false.

Yep. This should not be this hard for MS:

"Scorpio is the next evolution of Xbox hardware. It is a machine that allows developers to create great experiences with as few hurdles as possible. It will support VR and up to 4K native resolution."

That's all they have to say.

This, see how it can be done without hastle.

OneUh8

Sony's leaked stuff about the PS4K has better messaging than MS officially talking about their Scorpio. It's laughable.

Leyasu

Banned
A 4k only would be suicide and they must know that. So that was why I could not believe that thread earlier.

This is more worse than the Xbox one reveal, but then it was different people saying conflicting reports. This time its just Phil.

Look Phil if you are reading this I'm getting confused as with all of this. Best to shut up and wait and get the facts ironed out rather then this cluster!!!

You will only see benefit if you own 4K TV

Devs dont need to do 4K

What's the point then?

There will be Scorpio only games its up to the dev.

There won't be Scorpio only games...

Maybe Phil Spencer was cboat after all...

Dosia

The overreactions are comical. This console release is 18 months away, it will get sorted out. Phil is not Don.

Top Bottom