• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs can use Scorpio's 6 teraflops however they wish(wont force 4k), says Spencer

Metfanant

MS is a damn joke...the Xbox division has seriously lost its way. I thought the Xbone launch was a one off disaster of them just misinterpreting what the consumer was ready for, and missing the boat...

But here they are still sending out bonkers mixed messages and seeming to have no idea what their own product even does...

I still believe to this day Sony caught MS completely off guard with the PS4 announcement (and it being more powerful)...and now it seems the Neo has forced MS' hand again into rushing the reveal of a product, that not only, for all intents and purposes doesnt even exist, but also makes the OTHER hardware you announced less than an hour earlier obsolete..

shoreu

I thought Scorpio wouldn't do anything for a 1080p image? This has to be the most confusing messaging since the original Xbox One reveal, holy shit.

Does Phil just not know anything about the tech side of this because he's making an ass of himself

Lol, perfect.

Amazing that their messaging is off point given what happened the last time the showed a new console.

iNtC9dx.jpg

Mattrick is secretly running the show again.

GameSeeker

7NBWyvV.jpg

So which one is it?

I don't think they thought this through yet.

This is still confusing. Which is it?

What is happening over at Microsoft! Holy cow

It seems like they themselves have no idea what Scorpio will and won't do.

Microsoft can't seem to get a single executive (Spencer) to deliver a single, consistent message. When they use multiple executives, the situation becomes 10x worse.

It's amazing how big of a marketing fail the Xbox division is.

Zedox

Scorpio being a 4k only machine would be exquisitely dumb, so I'm basically assuming that people have their wires crossed and it's exactly like a Neo scenario where as long as the games run on the base console, they can upgrade the graphics and framerate on the Scorpio.

Basically. It's not that confusing at all. Enhances graphics/framerate dassit.

panda-zebra

Anyone else get the feeling Scorpio is a solution in need of an actual problem?

Seems like people are being told what they want to hear.

Can't help feeling any mention of Scorpio has been rushed way too far forwards, to the point where they literally cannot go a day keeping the message on point without fear of fucking up the here, now and short term future (i.e. xbone and xbones).

Ultimately, this is what I'm expecting. They just need to get on top of the messaging here, because it sort of spun out of control in the last few hours. (at least here on GAF, lots of threads to follow)

i dont think its that big of a deal right now in all honesty. They have 18 months before release to talk about this to the public. Next E3 will be far more important when theyre showing games displaying the power of Scorpio.

jet1911

I don't think NeoGAF is confused here. Phil is the one that seems confused.

Maybe it's more in how the questions are asked? I've never been on an interview spree like these guys do at E3 but I'm pretty sure he's not saying one thing and then 20 minutes later forget what he just said and make up something else.

So like the Bone reveal e3, we're only gonna really know what's happening a week after the conference. Thank god they have a year to sort their messaging out, which I guess is half of the point of the early reveal.

Wollan

A >10tflop machine is needed for 4K to become the norm. It would have been a terrible mistake to enforce 4K as the previous comment suggested.

geordiemp

I thought Scorpio wouldn't do anything for a 1080p image? This has to be the most confusing messaging since the original Xbox One reveal, holy shit.

It has to do 90 Frames per second to do fallout 4 VR for starters.

Shhhhhh, please buy xb1s.

There is nothing conflicting here, they can only sell xb1 s, They dont want to say hey all our games will be 1080p60 with ultra textures, massive LOD distance, 16 x AF, the best AA, best shadow detail and god rays everywhere (YET).

jaaz

It's clear that at this stage Scorpio is no more than a project goal, a PowerPoint presentation essentially.

Kilau

Stop talking until you have a clear message please. Let's not go through the XBONE reveal confusion again.

dude

dude
It's not confusing at all. The "Scorpio is for 4K TVs" is probably meant to prepare the ground to the thing costing a fortune.

beril

It was pretty obvious his last statement was bogus but still funny to see him contradict himself so quickly

Averon

It is pretty clear that MS announced this way too early. So early that MS haven't even nailed down the policies.

Why did they announce so early if they themselves aren't even sure? Were they that desperate to move on from the XBO?

If that much additional power was mandated to only be used for 4K resolution increases, it would be incredibly stupid. Framerate increases and increased fidelity at 1080p would be so much more beneficial for so many more people, so I would hope this message is the true one.

graywolf323

between the mixed messaging and just the impact this could have on the XB1's sales (even the new slim model) it really feels like the Scorpio announcement was rushed and I don't honestly see why

they could have waited until later this year to announce it and actually have all their ducks in a row

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
FUck!!!

Phil, you have to know what you are saying. SO much misinformation here and there..
They are all over the place with the information.

The "PR curse" of Xbox One continues it seems..

Scorpio being a 4k only machine would be exquisitely dumb, so I'm basically assuming that people have their wires crossed and it's exactly like a Neo scenario where as long as the games run on the base console, they can upgrade the graphics and framerate on the Scorpio.

For many games on both the Neo & the Scorpio, upgrading things that affect the gameplay will not be a possibility due to them having to share gameplay environments with PS4 & X1 users respectively.

Take Destiny 2 for example. When it launches next year, both the Neo & Scorpio will likely support Destiny 2. So we'll get better graphical visuals (textures, shaders, etc.) when the game is running on these machines. But, due to the fact that the X1 players are playing with Scorpio players & PS4 players are playing with Neo players - the framerate is going to be locked to what the PS4 & X1 run at (most likely 30fps, in this case).

This scenario will be true for all online games.

But in the other thread you said that it is not confusing and Spencer was speaking plainly about the Scorpio being a 4K box only. Which
xbox
ONE IS IT?
I think he intended to say it. There has to be a "reason" to keep selling Xbox One S and there has to be a differentiator to get Scorpio. The easiest thing to tell people is if you don't have a 4K tv, you won't reap the true benefits of the system. It makes sense. It's really not hard to "decipher".

I'll probably get the Scorpio anyways for more "future-proofing" my home but I'm probably still going to wait on getting a 4K tv.
It all depends on price and where I'm at in life. The best thing to me is that as a XBO owner I don't miss any games while I'm waiting to upgrade. I can still get those games and it doesn't "feel" like a wasted purchase than if they were going to the "next-gen" and I would feel like I would have to purchase to get those exclusive games. I'm glad that I have a choice on upgrading.

jbug617

Banned
All Phil has to say is the goal of the console is to have 4k gaming and VR however we won't force devs to make 4k only games on Scorpio.

I guess they have almost 1yr and half to get the messaging right.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Cmon people, logic tells you it'll do whatever developers want, 1080p/60fps, 4K/30fps (though even at 6tf this seems tough). There's absolutely no way it'll mandate 4K.

It is but people are just waiting to pounce on any thing they can to down play the Scorpio.

Maybe it's more in how the questions are asked? I've never been on an interview spree like these guys do at E3 but I'm pretty sure he's not saying one thing and then 20 minutes later forget what he just said and make up something else.

The point is that if they had a clear vision for the product they'd announced he probably wouldn't need to make stuff up, because the message would be consistent and clear no matter how the questions are answered.

They can't do that because, presumably, they're not 100% sure what the product they have announced actually is yet.

JP

This it just making is worse. How difficult is it for them to just produce bullet point list of what it does as doesn't do?

BAW

Banned
I knew it. The Scorpio will be just a more powerful console. The sooner the consumers (AND MICROSOFT) understand this the better. The "4K only" angle was ridiculous from the beginning. I understand that Phil wants to sell xbox ones, but was there ever really a possibility that the Scorpio would be held back if your display was 1080p? And was it GUARANTEED that all Scorpio content would be 4K? Nothing upscaled from 2000p? Or 1800p? Ever? Really?

Use your brains ppl

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

Then why doesn't anyone at Microsoft comes out and say it?

You're acting like people forged this Phil Spencer quotes. He said this contradictory statements, people have all reason in being confused.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't see what the issue is here? This is no different to PS3 games that could run in 1080p or 720p. All he's saying is that it is powerful enough to run 4K games but they're not mandating it. And that makes sense considering that they're not mandating that every game takes advantage of Scorpio anyway.

Top Bottom