• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Umbrella Corps Review Thread

OpenCritic - 38
Metacritic - 40

Newsarbiter - 6/10

Umbrella Corps is a fast, ferocious multiplayer shooter – albeit rough and lacking in polish. It can be fun as long as you keep your expectations low and are willing to work with a very liberal reinterpretation of the Resident Evil franchise.

CheatCC - 2.9/5

I might recommend this game for $15 if you have some friends to play with, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it at its current price point and in its current state. On a community forum I saw a deflated Resident Evil fan quip that Umbrella Corps is about 15 patches away from greatness, and I have to say that's my sentiment exactly. I gave this game several chances, but after turning off my PS4 and walking away from it just now, I'm realizing that I have no motivation to boot Umbrella Corps back up when there are so many alternatives that look, sound, feel, and play better. Wait for a sale and pick this up cheaply if you're a die-hard fan, but keep your friends close and your expectations low.

Twinfinite - 2.5/5

If you’re in the market for a good team-based, third-person shooter game, look elsewhere. You can certainly find better shooter games that aren’t plagued with sticky cover mechanics and awkward animations. And if you’re looking for the next terrifying Resident Evil game to satisfy your zombie-killing tendencies, this isn’t the game for you either; Umbrella Corps is simply a mediocre third-person shooter hiding under a Resident Evil skin.

LaPS4 - 4.5/10

The best thing that can be said about Umbrella Corps is that it isn't as bad as it looked, which wasn't actually really hard. Several mistakes in its gameplay mechanics turn interesting ideas into something tedious and repetitive.

Videogamer - 4/10

When you get shot in Umbrella Corps your character will occasionally utter a remark describing how miffed they are at the situation. One of these statements, bizarrely, is 'Fucking Hell'. While it doesn't really fit – despite its lashings of violence there's no swearing approaching this level anywhere else in the experience, and 'Fucking Hell' just seems, well, weird in that context – it's an almost perfect description of the game itself: a bizarre mishmash of styles and elements that don't fit together at all.

Press Start AU - 3/10

But none of it comes together in a way that is remotely enjoyable. It looks terrible, it plays terribly, the online is nowhere near as functional as it should be and it’s making a mockery of the Resident Evil brand. What were Capcom thinking? We’re not sure. They could have literally dumped a Mercenaries game onto the digital marketplace cobbled together with existing assets from previous games and it would’ve been better than this. I admonish you – seriously consider whether or not you should purchase Umbrella Corps. It’s utterly deplorable and a (sadly) wasted opportunity.

Gamekult - 3/10

PSU - 3/10
If Umbrella Corps was a free-to-play title, it'd probably be a mildly inoffensive novelty, but it's not. It's a costly mess of confused messaging that adds almost nothing (bar a ‘shocking' revelation about an established character that's about as shocking as the Scottish Premier League table) to the Resident Evil universe. The game's lack of quality is almost dwarfed by how utterly pointless it is.

Polygon - 3/10

It’s hard to imagine anyone beyond the most die-hard Resident Evil fans picking this game up, and even they will likely leave feeling ripped off. Umbrella Corps feels like cheap, soulless fanservice in a tactical-action package. The only good news: If the demo is any indication, Resident Evil 7 looks nothing like this.

Jim Sterling - 2.5/10

The shocking lack of effort in this game’s “campaign” perfectly reflects what Umbrella Corps is. It’s a low-effort, unenthusiastic cash grab. It provides not a single indicator that it cares about quality, content, or the enjoyment of the player. It’s an almost beautiful microcosm of the cynicism that can infect “AAA” game development at large.

It’s sad because I’d have actually loved for this game to be enjoyable. The idea of an Umbrella training simulator where agents are battling against each other isn’t the worst idea for a spin-off I’ve heard – in fact, the concept is appealing to me. Unfortunately, the execution is bereft of life and sloppier than the contents of Boris Johnson’s diaper.

The Sixth Axis - 2/10

What’s most upsetting about Umbrella Corps is that Capcom expects punters to pay £24.99 – for that price, we’re looking at the top end of the market for digital games. However, even if Umbrella Corps wasn’t dreadful, that’s an eye-watering sum of money for the content on offer.

While there’s a plausible spread of familiar backdrops, this translates into only a handful maps and very basic ones at that. Fans will also be disappointed by the sparse amount of cosmetic options on show. Unless you’re fooled into buying a deluxe copy of the game, prepare to spend the entire duration as a generic grunt, complete with standardised ballistic helm and gas mask.

Reviews are very slowly coming in for this game since capcom either did not send review copies or sent them late.

If you find any more reviews i will add them in the OP

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's exactly what I expected.

This is internally developed as well, right? Hopefully Resident Evil 7 turns out better.

Phediuk

This was made by Capcom themselves, too.

Man, they really don't know what the fuck they're doing anymore, do they?

steamingsarcasm

Neo Member
I still don't get how this was made. Like who heard this idea and said "yup, this sure will make money in this market".
Sad that the reviews seem to be on par with what was shown...but it's no surprise.

IvanJ

Banned
"It's better than nothing"

I expected a stinker ever since its reveal, so no surprises here. I probably wouldn't have downloaded it for free, at $30 it was a no-brainer.

Alienous

I had no faith the minute it was clear they decided to ignore all the things RE6 did with third-person combat.

You have the core of an awesome competitive multiplayer game there but nope.

Ludens

Banned
Honestly it's exactly what I expected. If this game was called "Zombie Fast Massacre", it would have only negative reviews on Steam and even worse reviews from the press.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I've actually been having a lot of fun with friends in it so far, but it takes a bit to 'click', and I assume review copies weren't sent out until release so the reviews are based off of one day of play.

However, I expected it to review between 4-7s due to a few things. But to me, it's one of the games that 'click' after a certain point, and is a lot more fun (and strategic) to play with a group of friends. I kind of went into it not expecting to like it and being pleasantly surprised, though. I'll try to upload some matches later to express what I mean, since I think it comes through better in action than words.

With how few games they're making by themselves it's odd that they greenlight this game. Not too surprised by the scores after seeing the footage

rhandino

Banned
WTF CAPCOM!? Why is so hard for you to make an HD ver. of Mercenaries 3D?

ch, I cannot with this company...

98uMGY5.gif

Pooya

It's like they haven't damaged this brand enough already, let's put out another pos. anyone could tell this was going to be awful.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I for one am shocked, shocked I tell you.

Let us never speak of this game again.

Top Bottom