• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Umbrella Corps Review Thread

Kind of figured. Could tell by the trailers and gameplay videos Capcom have put out that it would not be very good at all. I honestly do not think Capcom knows what to do with Resident Evil anymore when they have a solid base in the name of a couple of remasters that have recently come out.

KDC720

Seems to be what most people were expecting. I really like the idea behind this game and ORC, and I think there is a lot of potential that comes with it. The problem is with the execution.

wipeout364

I've only played 20 minutes of this but operation raccoon city seemed better. I will give it some more time in the next few days but it feels too fast and it's hard to see other players with melee being OP but that's only very early impressions.

Ludens

Banned
How well did Operation Raccoon City sell? After it's critical failure, I can't imagine it would've been a good idea to greenlight this.

It's as baffling as making Lost Planet 3.

Sadly it sold well :\

The reason Umbrella Corps exists is because it was very cheap to develop:

-Unity engine
-only one male soldier, so basically one model for everyone with additional cosmetic stuff
-no story mode, so they didn't need to write a plot and hire actors to do voice acting (well, if not for some phrases in and there, but not like in other sp games anyway)

Now they are trying to make people buying this by creating some "iconic" maps like Spencer Mansion etc, but honestly the game feels like someone modded some RE maps into a random tps.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hopefully Resident Evil 7 turns out better.

LaughingCryingWhats-her-name.gif

Hahahaha...
:(
I have no hope of that from modern Capcom. They still need to fix SF5 while I'm thinking of it.

Didn't this release on PS3 years ago?

You're thinking Biohazard: Operation Turd City. This is another stinker from Capcom.

I've only played 20 minutes of this but operation raccoon city seemed better. I will give it some more time in the next few days but it feels too fast and it's hard to see other players with melee being OP but that's only very early impressions.

I've played MP for about 2-3 hours and I totally agree with your initial impressions. I also played through about 8-10 SP levels and they're embarrassingly simple and boring. They just take MP modes and remove the human players. So, for example, on a few SP levels you're just standing in control zones while zombies wander around.

Disregarding the SP mode, the horrible music, the weird framerate, and the jank, the biggest problem is that all the depth is hidden away behind actual good players. There's a very large gap between people who know how to play this game and those that don't, leading to some painful losses and salt.

I don't blame them. Most of the mechanics aren't explained. You probably didn't know you could parry the Brainer to stop all those melee kills. You probably aren't using the Jammer to use zombies as a form of finding players or finishing them off. You might even be running out into a hail of gunfire instead of playing more methodically.

The game tells you almost nothing, and throws you into the fire.

Unless you have a decent team, you are going to get bopped, and the learning curve is pretty high until then. Couple that with quick matches, and it's basically over before you can learn anything. Once you get there, it's fun, but it's a pain to trek up that mountain to see if you like the game or not.

The marketing for this game made no sense, and they certainly did not explain the game well enough. There's a stark lack of good tutorials beyond very basic things. And simple quality of life elements aren't present.

But damn, I'm glad it clicked for me, because it feels a little goofy yet intense. The last match I played, I used the Jammer grenade to mess up the enemy team camping in a house. They got swarmed, running out to protect themselves, and we picked them off. Shit like that is what makes this game so great, and kind of deep, but because the game won't tell you anything, you might not even see that.

WTF CAPCOM!? Why is so hard for you to make an HD ver. of Mercenaries 3D?

ch, I cannot with this company...

98uMGY5.gif

Never thought I'd see a Kris GIF on gaming side.

Operation Raccoon City might be the worst game I played on 360.

Anyway, I'm still interested in this game -- it wouldn't be the first time many critics don't understand a complex (?) multiplayer game -- but it really seems like it's not going to do well enough to justify an eventual purchase. Too bad.

Alienous

If Konami ever make an MGS game I assume it'll be of this kind of quality.

Appropriate the franchise history and use that to hide a mediocre shooter.

GavinUK86

It's like this game can't decide if it's a TPS or a FPS. Who's idea was it to have the over the shoulder camera literally on the shoulder. And zooming in becomes aiming down the sights. It's a weird design choice. Maybe a Unity flaw. This feels and plays like a fan project.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Having played this yesterday... I have absolutely no idea how this was made and actually released.

Rymuth

This was made with Unity, right?

I just remembered something

RE7 - RE Engine
Umbrella Corps - Unity
SFV - Unreal 4
Deep Down - Phanta Rei

Might as well make DMC5 with Frostbite.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Umbrella Corps - Village (RE4) One-Life Match ; This Game is More Fun than People are Saying

I just recorded a match with some friends, but we've been having a lot of fun playing it so far. Here's just a misc video of us playing.

And my message with it:
I have been seeing a lot of negativity surrounding this game, some on what it is, some from early impressions, some just want to hate it, some haven't had the game 'click' with them yet, etc. But I don't know... I didn't really expect to like it, hell watching videos of it before it came out I thought it didn't look that great, but I've actually been having a lot of fun with it. There's a lot of hidden mechanics and depth to the combat, and I think a lot of people don't learn it and either just get frustrated or judge it at face value. Alas, I will be doing more videos of this game, and I hope small little matches like these are entertaining to watch and help demonstrate why my friends and I find it fun. Hope you enjoy~

Tranquilo

Banned
I wrote that review for CheatCC. I was really disappointed in this game and wanted so badly to enjoy it. It seriously feels like a Full Sail student's final project using Unity; so incoherent and bland. Actually... I'd hope younger, budding devs would put together something more creative than this.

Nemesis_

I respectfully disagree with people saying it's fun with friends. I've spent a long time (almost a day, literally, in terms of hours) with friends playing it and I just don't enjoy it at all.

The concepts are fantastic (zombie jammers, parrying and what not) but they're just hidden under so much shit that I can't find it enjoyable.

A shame really.

I wrote that review for CheatCC. I was really disappointed in this game and wanted so badly to enjoy it. It seriously feels like a Full Sail student's final project using Unity; so incoherent and bland. Actually... I'd hope younger, budding devs would put together something more creative than this.

The same, I was so reserved about it pre-release because I wanted to really enjoy it. But even though I see what people mean when they say it has "depth" I just don't enjoy it at all. The maps are weirdly designed for the style of play and the time between spawns is ridiculous.

I've actually been having a lot of fun with friends in it so far, but it takes a bit to 'click', and I assume review copies weren't sent out until release so the reviews are based off of one day of play.

However, I expected it to review between 4-7s due to a few things. But to me, it's one of the games that 'click' after a certain point, and is a lot more fun (and strategic) to play with a group of friends. I kind of went into it not expecting to like it and being pleasantly surprised, though. I'll try to upload some matches later to express what I mean, since I think it comes through better in action than words.

You have this on PC? Can I be your friend cause it took me 10 minutes to play a match and I hated it. Maybe with good people I can salvage something from this. Weren't you on Biohaze?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Umbrella Corps - Village (RE4) One-Life Match ; This Game is More Fun than People are Saying

I just recorded a match with some friends, but we've been having a lot of fun playing it so far. Here's just a misc video of us playing.

And my message with it:

Don't you defend Bio6 as well? We get it, you like the series. But there comes a point where you don't have to defend Capcom's mistakes, duder.

Gamekult: 3/10 + "Buy Killing Floor 2 instead"

Speaking as someone that owns KF2: NO, DON'T. Especially not with the state the game is in currently and how it's STILL not out of Early Access and the glacial update/fix-pacing Tripwire does.

That is exactly my reaction to this. Was there any real void needing filled by a Resident Evil Branded MP shooter?

Nope. If you are a MP shooter fan there are already dozens upon dozens of options out there with much better mechanics, more maps, players, mod support, and more.

I still expect this to sell well enough anyway just based off brand name alone, though.

LUXURY

The animations for this game make the third person ones from Dead Island look amazing. This game looks like something that will burn out in about a month. Just looks bad. So much happening on the screen it's overwhelming. Hopefully we don't see another concoction like this from Capcom.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Don't you defend Bio6 as well? We get it, you like the series. But there comes a point where you don't have to defend Capcom's mistakes, duder.

Speaking as someone that owns KF2: NO, DON'T. Especially not with the state the game is in currently and how it's STILL not out of Early Access and the glacial update/fix-pacing Tripwire does.

I'm not defending, I just have my opinions, and as anyone else on a discussion board, I will vocalize them. It's maybe a different perception than the popular opinion, but it is what it is.

For the record, my favorite RE games are REmake/RE4 (I like them for entirely different reasons, but in my opinion both have excellent design to achieve what they aim to be, and end up being a lot of fun for it, with good pacing and atmosphere), and I am a person who's enjoyed both the older and newer games in the franchise. I play a lot of horror games, genre enthusiast, but I try to break down to word why I would like and dislike certain things.

In RE6's case, I think it was an uneven-quality campaign with some highs and lows, but I did enjoy its mechanics, and I thought some of the scenarios were fun, but there were other scenarios to drudge through. I would rank it in the bottom third of the franchise if I was to rank them, but I still enjoyed it (my least favorite would be Gun Survivor 2, for the record). I also have played most PS1/PS2 era horror games and play more and more from the current era as well, for a bit of background.

I am enjoying Umbrella Corps, and I want to share why I do a bit better than just either saying I do with no deeper explanation, or riding the popular opinion, since it's my opinion, and one I wish to share to give perspective. I can confidently voice that I would enjoy this game even if it didn't have anything to do with Resident Evil, but I might have not given it the chance since I wasn't sold on the game in gameplay videos and expected to not enjoy it.

Top Bottom