• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Alt-Right Has Its Own Comedy TV Show On A Time Warner Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbern...time-warner-ne?utm_term=.tcjbypx40#.wf93LK0QM

@Night_0f_Fire is in almost every way a quintessential alt-right Twitter user. He supports Donald Trump. He hates Hillary Clinton and questions her health. He retweets the full spectrum of the movement’s icons, from macho culture warriors like Mike Cernovich and Pax Dickinson to conspiracy mongers like Alex Jones to overt racists. He calls Lena Dunham a “fat pig,” cheers the demise of Larry Wilmore’s Nightly Show, and bemoans the presence of “burkhas in video games.” He mocks Black Lives Matter. His tweets are fully in line with the wildly prolific online movement that has spawned Milo Yiannopoulos, triple parentheses to demarcate Jews, and the term “cuckservative.”

In fact, there’s really only one thing that separates @Night_0f_Fire — real name Sam Hyde — from the many other members of the angry, pro-Trump internet movement that grew out of Gamergate into a force capable of roiling American popular and political culture: Hyde has his own television show on Cartoon Network.

Million Dollar Extreme Presents: World Peace airs every Saturday at 12:15 a.m. on Adult Swim, the 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. incarnation of Cartoon Network famous for its stoner-y animation and sketch comedy. World Peace, which will air its fourth episode this weekend, is the latter. It’s the first wide exposure for MDE, a comedy group comprising Hyde and two collaborators that has gained a cult following on the internet and a reputation for being hugely offensive.

Promotional material for World Peace winks at Hyde’s alt-right fans. “Celebrate Diversity Every Friday at 12:15A ET,” reads the tagline on the Adult Swim website. Press copy announcing the show promised that “World Peace will unlock your closeted bigoted imagination, toss your inherent racism into the burning trash, and cleanse your intolerant spirit with pure unapologetic American funny_com.” Though none of the three episodes that have aired so far have touched on politics or the alt-right, they have hardly been in good taste. The most recent episode of the show opened with Hyde, in blackface, speaking in exaggerated black vernacular for three minutes.

According to Showbuzz Daily, World Peace ranked number two among original cable shows on the night of its premiere, with more than a million viewers.

Turner, which owns Cartoon Network and Adult Swim, responded to a request for comment by forwarding a written statement from an Adult Swim spokesperson:

“Adult Swim’s reputation and success with its audience has always been based on strong and unique comedic voices. Million Dollar Extreme’s comedy is known for being provocative with commentary on societal tropes, and though not a show for everyone, the company serves a multitude of audiences and supports the mission that is specific to Adult Swim and its fans.”

This is some fucked up shit. Shame on Time Warner and Adult Swim for allowing a hate spewing alt-right asshole on their network.

I've seen the first two episodes. Very bizarre, often what you might call "anti-comedy" but there's probably no one else in the world who does what they do. I found it more interesting than funny to watch but it has made me laugh.

Onemic

The most recent episode of the show opened with Hyde, in blackface, speaking in exaggerated black vernacular for three minutes.

So they have a straight up racist show on Cartoon Network now. Great.

Wow this is fucking disgusting. Now I'm thinking about whether or not I want to tune to when Samurai Jack or not when it premieres. This is just disrespectful, Cartoon Network. Have some damn dignity.

Kreed

Adult Swim has so much random late night live action programming that it doesn't surprise me a show like this went unnoticed (never even heard of this one until this thread).

qcf x2

Hey look, an offensive cartoon that airs late at night on a program whose very interludes are known to be offensive.

Adult Swim has so much random late night live action programming that it doesn't surprise me a show like this went unnoticed (never even heard of this one until this thread).

If you didn't read, it was hardly unnoticed. It hit a million viewers, #2 cable show that night.

Ethranes

Over a million views seems like a good number for a cartoon show. There is obviously an audience for the show, a large one at that, there's no reason that there shouldn't be TV shows tailored toward them.

sphagnum

Banned
So that's who Sam Hyde is? I kept seeing him be referenced and thought it was some weird meme.

Over a million views seems like a good number for a cartoon show. There is obviously an audience for the show, a large one at that, there's no reason that there shouldn't be TV shows tailored toward them.

Adult Swim isn't obligated to fund racist garbage just because there's an audience for it.

Slayven

I was thinking the same thing, so much noise and nonsense, something was bound to slip by.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Now? They've been airing post-revival Family Guy for years...

You know, I've been thinking a lot about making a thread about this. I've never watched Family Guy but a buddy dragged me into a Family Guy marathon and I really wasn't sure if the show is supposed to be offensive or if it's just bad.

There was "Here are some Muslims. Are they terrorists? Yes. All of them. The End lol" episode. Not saying that was super offensive or anything, just....really weird and kinda uncomfortable. And since I've never watched FG I don't know if that's their "shtick" or if they are serious about this

Derwind

I don't know what's more frightening, this show's content or a that it has enough of an audience to be profitable. Yeesh.

This on the same channel as a show as progressive as Steven Universe. Christ.

Hey look, an offensive cartoon that airs late at night on a program whose very interludes are known to be offensive.

If you didn't read, it was hardly unnoticed. It hit a million viewers, #2 cable show that night.

It appears to be live action.

Zubz

Banned
They already have several other shows like this without being overtly racist and run by a jackass. Why do they feel they need this? I haven't seen the show, but the fact there's a kid going straight Al Jolsen in an episode should've been a sign to kill this project before it saw the light.

I know this is [adult swim], and usually backlash against unpopular decisions like canceling Metalocalypse or cutting back on anime while giving Tim & Eric additional showings just causes them to double down, but even they should see the issue here, right?

ZeroX03

Banned
Kinda interesting juxtaposition with who's on right beforehand...

ws9ATX0.gif

Camjo-Z

I guess this is what happens when you try to be the edgiest network on television. Sometimes you get amazing stuff like Aqua Teen and Xavier: Renegade Angel. Sometimes you get complete fucking trash like 12 oz Mouse and Mr. Pickles. And sometimes you get... whatever this is.

Nudull

Banned

Would you be okay with producing and airing a show on your network that you knew was run and supported by racists?

wrens

Neo Member
I kinda hope the invisible hand of the market would squish you. :p

I'm noticing more and more these weirdos are using the "I'm a shock jock" "it's just offensive comedy" to get away with getting their weirdo message out. It's unfortunate because it gives actual funny comedians a bad name.

Hinchy

I guess this is what happens when you try to be the edgiest network on television. Sometimes you get amazing stuff like Aqua Teen and Xavier: Renegade Angel. Sometimes you get complete fucking trash like 12 oz Mouse and Mr. Pickles. And sometimes you get... whatever this is.

^

South Park?

South Park isn't alt-right. South Park is "the correct answer is always in the middle, even when it's not".

iammeiam

Well, I found a clip. It's more focused on being sexist MRA red pill bullshit than racist, but it still gets some racism in there. All women are apparently desperate money-grubbing leeches, but guess which one is apparently leeching off disability?

It's less 3dg3y comedy and more just a platform to spout bullshit from what I can tell. Gross. Even PC Principal on South Park used the frat angle to try to be funny, this doesn't put in that effort.

Bread

Banned
I was wondering what this show was about. Surprised AS would air it, they've always seemed to be pretty liberal.

ldcommando

Banned
The South park mentions made me curious. If someone is a South park fan do you guys consider this person to be from the alt-right?

gcubed

Well, I found a clip. It's more focused on being sexist MRA red pill bullshit than racist, but it still gets some racism in there. All women are apparently desperate money-grubbing leeches, but guess which one is apparently leeching off disability?

It's less 3dg3y comedy and more just a platform to spout bullshit from what I can tell. Gross. Even PC Principal on South Park used the frat angle to try to be funny, this doesn't put in that effort.

what... the... fuck... did i just watch?

I apparently don't share the same taste in comedy as some people

Zubz

Banned
Kinda interesting juxtaposition with who's on right beforehand...

ws9ATX0.gif

Yeah; even outside of Eric's wonderful on-site lambasting of Coachella the RNC, he's made a few comments this season that make it weird they'd show this alt. right garbage right after (Like tearing into Stacey Dash on her views on abortion).

Well technically true, it should be pointed out that Adult Swim and Cartoon Network are two separate networks that share the same channel.

Yup. [as] is even considered a different network by the Nielsen's, so watching SU does not support Hyde in any way, shape, or form! However, watching Eric Andre does in an indirect manner, which is conflicting for me...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I....I feel like I just got programmed. What's that? I should kill the president?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom