• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo plans to support 3DS with software through 2018

From the latest Emily Rogers post on NX.

2018 is a lot farther than I was expecting - based on this year's output I thought 2015 was the last year Nintendo put out a variety of big games for the format, and by the time 2018 rolls over New 3DS will be almost four years old, making it a true mid-generation refresh for a handheld that ultimately lasts around 7-8 years on the market.

This begs the question: What's in store for 3DS over the next two years? Will the handheld receive spinoffs developed by third parties, like Pokémon Conquest? Or will it be like the GBA's late life where Nintendo experiments more with new ideas, like Rhythm Tengoku, Bit Generations and Calciobit (Nintendo Pocket Football Club)? Or will we see some more ports by Monster Games after Xenoblade 3D last year and DKC Returns 3D three years ago? Or will Nintendo publish more Japan-only games, much like how GBA had Tales of Phantasia and Final Fantasy IV-VI Advance? Lady Layton is probably a given.

I'm guessing it'll probably be a mixture of spinoff titles using Nintendo IP, and maybe some more experimental games like BOXBOY and (arguably) Ever Oasis. And maybe some more localisations of titles which were previously Japan-only. The rumour might also be referring to NoA, which would make the localisations of titles more likely: Monster Hunter Stories is another title that's likely to make it to the west, like Lady Layton. NCL will probably help bring over some bigger 3DS indie games to Japan, like they did Shovel Knight this year, too.

Outside of Nintendo's own support, there are signs that Nintendo is setting up 3DS for a longer-than-expected lifespan. They recently lowered barriers to entry for independent developers in Japan, and Nindies is becoming a bigger initiative in Japan after success elsewhere, with the Puyo Puyo creator's next puzzle game debuting on 3DS first. Likewise, NoA/NoE have been ahead of the game by supporting the IARC ratings systems to make publishing worldwide as easy as possible. Third party publishers will probably still keep releasing the odd new game, but bigger efforts like Puyo Puyo Chronicle and Monster Hunter Stories will probably decline.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens. My favourite generational transition is still probably GBA to DS. The two pieces of hardware were fundamentally different in principle, yet it was great how the GBA market continued to do well, with quality games releasing after DS's launch, and the DS was finding its feet with new and exciting software. These two worlds came together with the ability to play GBA games on the DS itself, even nonstandard cartridges like Boktai 2 and WarioWare Twisted.

What do you think will happen?

patapuf

I'd take backwards compability with the NX over more software tbh. The 3DS had a good run, but i'm cool with moving on.

Though i'm aware with what the NX is rumored to be, backwards compability is very unlikely.

maxcriden

Well then! That is something, and kinda astonishing to me. As you posited I expect to see smaller titles, like the biggest it would be Wario Ware/Land and maybe an experimental Kirby like Mass Attack 2. I think eShop titles will be in the mix for sure, also.

And I wonder if some of the titles will also be made available cross-platform on NX. So as not to make new adopters feel left out.

On the bright side, this gives me hope for a good "one more thing" in the Direct tomorrow, at minimum. The Trev leak if plans haven't changed in this respect leads me to believe any unseen 3DS games wouldn't release till next year at the earliest, but I'm hopeful for some now and maybe plans changed and we will even see something else new retail this year (more eShop games for this year yabe always been on the take, and I'm hoping for Detective Pikachu).

Thank you for posting this!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Makes sense - if NX is a premium portable for up to 250€ they will want to keep selling the 3DS as a cheaper entry level model for the next 18 months.

Shiggy

That's surprising since all of the currently announced games just wait for a release to avoid a complete game drought.

Games like Pokemon Moon/Sun, Picross 3D: Round 2, Rhythm Paradise Megamix, and Disney Magical World 2 are all ready.

Or will we see some more ports by Monster Games after Xenoblade 3D last year and DKC Returns 3D three years ago

Monster Games and Nintendo parted ways for now.

I look forward to the dedicated Nintendo Directs.

Regarding the late localizations if you're in Europe you might remember DS had Inazuma Eleven 2 released in early 2012 (so it wasn't all Pokemon Typing, Conquest and Black/White 2 for 2012...).

I'm also reminded of third party DSiWare support...

Clive

I'm sure I have heard the "third pillar" BS from Nintendo many times now and judging by their Wii U line-up, it was a lie again this time. The 3DS should at least get third party Japanese games for a while longer, especially if the NX doesn't take off.

Forkball

Well yeah. It already has a solid install base, and we've seen this before. GBA games were released well into the DS' lifespan. And DS had some big titles in 2012, one year after the 3DS' release like:

SMT Devil Survivor 2
Pokemon Conquest
Pokemon Black and White 2

Though the 3DS was backwards compatible while the NX won't be supposedly.

Well yeah. It already has a solid install base, and we've seen this before. GBA games were released well into the DS' lifespan. And DS had some big titles in 2012, one year after the 3DS' release like:

SMT Devil Survivor 2
Pokemon Conquest
Pokemon Black and White 2

Though the 3DS was backwards compatible while the NX won't be supposedly.

I was actually pretty disappointed with DS software support after 3DS launched. Games like Ghost Trick, Okamiden, Pokémon BW, Zombie Daisuke and Radiant Historia are amazing but were late DS games instead of post 3DS games, whereas GBA got more titles from Nintendo and a lot more titles from third parties after DS launched.

There wasn't much compared with GBA. Whether that was due to 3DS being a more natural successor to the DS or DS piracy being an obstacle, or developers taking the kind of games they made for DS to the iPhone, I don't know, but it felt lacking.

complete revamp of the underlying OS of the n3DS with the new design of the upcoming NX. Shared library and backwards compatibility, so you can play n3DS games on NX. Do it! :D

Interesting. I know Nintendo doesn't normally do cross-gen titles (with Zelda as the most notable, but not only exception), but this feels like it'd be an ample opportunity to do so.

We know that whatever the NX is, its gotta have at least some capability for HD games and rendering. Meanwhile, many 3DS games - like the DS before it - actually have pretty good looking models that just can't be rendered well at the native resolution of the console. With an HD system like the NX, and whatever screen size it uses - at bare minimum 'enough' to show off the fidelity of a game like Breath of the Wild - one could have a game with minimal demands that nevertheless, relative to the 3DS version, looks gorgeous.

I mean, if you could offer someone the chance to play Sun/Moon (as a port, similar to the Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue divide) in HD, I'm pretty sure people would pay for it.

FaintDeftone

I'm okay with that. The platform is aging horribly but I have a TON of games for it and as long as the software is solid I'll still carry it around in my bag.

jdstorm

Banned
Hardly Surprising. The 3DS is still an ARM system. So if the NX has a Scaleable OS ports should be relatively simple. Especially given the difference in native resolution between the 3DS and the Rumoured 720p screen of the NX

Obviously the 3DS won't get Zelda BotW. But up ports of games built for the 3ds make a lot of sense

Release date: TBA 2018

PS_3DS_DrKawashimasDevilishBrainTraining_enGB.png

MacTag

Banned
There are actually quite a few localizations I still hope to see.

Detective Pikachu
3D Picross 2
Culdcept Revolt
Etrian Odyssey V
Monster Hunter Stories
The Great Ace Attorney
Dragon Quest XI
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3
Dragon Quest Pirate Slime
Final Fantasy 3D Edition
Puyo Puyo Chronicle
Sega 3D Classics Collection 2-3
River City Ransom SP
Lady Layton
The Snack World
Yo-Kai Watch 3
Yo-Kai Watch Conquest
Dragon Ball Fusions
One Piece Colosseum
RPG Maker Fes
Brave Dungeon
Legend of Dark Witch 3
Dragon Fang
Nyoki Nyoki Tabidachi-hen
1000m Zombie Escape
Back in 1995 64
TOKOYO

maxcriden

FWIW, Nintendo's GBA games that came out after DS launched:

Minish Cap
Sacred Stones
Mario Party Advance
Mario Pinball Land
Pokémon Emerald
Yoshi's Universal Gravitation
Drill Dozer
Mario Tennis: Power Tour
Red Rescue Team
Rhythm Tengoku
Mother 3
Bit Generations
WW Twisted
The Tower SP
Dr. Mario
DKC3
DK King of Swing
Polarium Advance

Nintendo's DS games that came out after 3DS launched:

Learn w/ Pokémon Typing Adv.
Pokémon B/W 2
Kirby Mass Attack

I'd expect another set of Gen VII Pokémon games after Sun and Moon, yes.

I will go out on a limb and say that they'll be day and date with NX versions, mind.

Top Bottom