• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo plans to support 3DS with software through 2018

tr1p1ex

Guess they still seeing some life in the 3ds. and maybe particularly at the low pricepoints. 2ds just dropped to $80 3 months ago. The 2ds was rereleased in Japan early this year.

NX is not going to be $80 anytime soon so this is Nintendo showing the cost conscious consumer that the 2ds/3ds is still alive.

Also can't help but think that this might mean the NX is going to be a bit higher priced than first thought. And the 3ds is going to be their lower cost option for consumers for another year or two.

Also I can see that moving the NX to an ARM cpu, and more similar architecture of the 3ds and going down to 1 platform (if rumors are true,) has made it much easier for Nintendo to continue to support the 3ds. It sounds like they made a big move to port Wii U architecture over to ARM given some of the recent 3ds game announcements like SMM and Yoshi.

And the SMM 3ds move obviously lets the popular SMM sell into a much larger 60 million install base of the 3ds. That's gotta be a low cost, high margin product.

-shadow-

Release date: TBA 2018

PS_3DS_DrKawashimasDevilishBrainTraining_enGB.png

I remember actually playing the demo of this game. Seriously what's the reason this is still TBA for like three years now?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yes, I see no reason to doubt this claim after the latest direct.

Especially considering the short timings many nintendo games see from announcement to release

I think they already cover ed half 2017, so four new project should be enough to cover the entire year

MacTag

Banned
Especially considering the short timings many nintendo games see from announcement to release

I think they already cover ed half 2017, so four new project should be enough to cover the entire year
Also late localizations for the west like Yokai Watch 3 and Dragon Quest XI.

Hilarion

Bravely Third. Make it happen.

Playing Bravely Second now, midway through Chapter 2, and...

The game is an incredible letdown compared to how wonderful Bravely Default is. Bravely Second is mechanically fine and even maybe a bit improved from Default, but the soundtrack is aggressively mediocre except for the tracks returning from the previous game, the script is atrocious and borders on self-parody (why would you write a Wild West gunslinger girl as talking like a middle-aged Jewish lady from Brooklyn?), and the plot is slow as molasses. Yes, even compared to Bravely Default.

If they do a Bravely Third, I hope they really think hard about what made Bravely Default work to begin with.

Malakai

I hope we get some different genres besides RPGs and 2D platformers for the love of god. This is the only reason Metroid Prime: Federation Forces is starting to look appalling do me due to it being in a different genre (funny enough)

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2DS chugs along till 2019 getting basic support.

Just dump gobs of DS/GC ports on the thing.

Hopefully NX has some kind of backwards compatibility with 3DS software.

Emily was right on the money with this one.

While she was referring to Nintendo first party titles, there are still big games coming out through 2018:

First party:

-Ever Oasis
-Devilish Brain Training (Europe)
-Miitopia
-Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga and Bowser's Minions
-Hey! Pikmin
-New 2DS XL
-Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon
-New Kirby game
-Fire Emblem Warriors
-Mario Sports Superstars
-Fire Emblem Echoes
-Sayonara BOXBOY

And for third party stuff:
-Dragon Quest XI
-Etrian Odyssey V
-Shingeki no Kyojin 2 ~Mirai no Zahyou~
-Strange Journey Redux
-Radiant Historia
-Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2
-Inazuma Eleven Ares
-Culdcept Revolt
-RPG Maker FES
-The Snack World
-Lady Layton
-Monster Hunter Stories
-Monster Hunter Double Cross
-Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2
-Azure Striker Gunvolt spin-off thing
-Blaster Master Zero DLC

A few of these games feel like release schedule filler, but it's a pretty solid showing overall for a handheld that's approaching its seventh birthday early next year.

marmoka

Banned
I suppose these will be the last games coming to 3DS. Perhaps Nintendo may announce another one between E3 and this holiday, but nothing more. The rest is up to third parties.

LAA

There are actually quite a few localizations I still hope to see.

Detective Pikachu
3D Picross 2
Culdcept Revolt
Etrian Odyssey V
Monster Hunter Stories
The Great Ace Attorney
Dragon Quest XI
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3
Dragon Quest Pirate Slime
Final Fantasy 3D Edition
Puyo Puyo Chronicle
Sega 3D Classics Collection 2-3
River City Ransom SP
Lady Layton
The Snack World
Yo-Kai Watch 3
Yo-Kai Watch Conquest
Dragon Ball Fusions
One Piece Colosseum
RPG Maker Fes
Brave Dungeon
Legend of Dark Witch 3
Dragon Fang
Nyoki Nyoki Tabidachi-hen
1000m Zombie Escape
Back in 1995 64
TOKOYO

3D Picross round 2 already localised to the west.

Great Ace Attorney 1/2 and Lady Layton I do want over, but I'm of the mindset now I don't want anything new being made for 3DS.
E.X. Troopers was another game I hoped would be localised, but probably far too late for that to happen now.

Top Bottom