• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo plans to support 3DS with software through 2018

Monster Games and Nintendo parted ways for now.

Bah, really? That's a shame. I thought their talent was being underutilised with the two Wii ports they did, Pilotwings Resort was a great game that, while lacking content, was certainly not short in entertainment or things to do.

Ideally Nintendo would do what they did with Fullblox and ask Monster Games to develop a new Pilotwings that's free-to-start with a bunch of different islands and challenges split into DLC packs. Would buy that in a heartbeat.

Release date: TBA 2018

PS_3DS_DrKawashimasDevilishBrainTraining_enGB.png

Can't wait to see the title screen:

Copyright 2013-2018 Nintendo

Falchion

As long as all the big games are developed for the NX as well and aren't just 3DS ports, I'll be fine with it.

Whatever Nintendo

After MHX Im am officially done with this old ass hardware

Bring on the NX so my eyes dont have to bleed anymore

Shiggy

I see nothing there about them parting ways

Then you don't really seem to know much about Monster Games. They are a studio employing about 20 developers. The team started to work on NASCAR Heat Evolution in fall 2014 after Xenoblade Chronicles 3D was finished. NASCAR Heat Evolution isn't coming to Nintendo platforms. While it ultimately depends on the success of NASCAR Heat Evolution, the studio's currently intends to work on more NASCAR games in the coming years.

So you think they are rapidly expanding to work on a separate project for Nintendo?

donny2112

Baseless speculation:

LttP remake using LbW base
LbW 2
Girl Layton
More Fire Emblem (DLC for Fates and another remake)
More SNES VC (come on Super Scope games!)
More Game Boy/GBC VC

Yeah, for more 3DS stuff!

FWIW, Nintendo's GBA games that came out after DS launched:

Minish Cap
Sacred Stones
Mario Party Advance
Mario Pinball Land
Pokémon Emerald
Yoshi's Universal Gravitation
Drill Dozer
Mario Tennis: Power Tour
Red Rescue Team
Rhythm Tengoku
Mother 3
Bit Generations
WW Twisted
The Tower SP
Dr. Mario
DKC3
DK King of Swing
Polarium Advance

Nintendo's DS games that came out after 3DS launched:

Learn w/ Pokémon Typing Adv.
Pokémon B/W 2
Kirby Mass Attack

Nice list. Japan also got CalcioBit. If we included major third party games the GBA list would still get comparatively larger than the DS list, and same with Nintendo-published titles.

Someone suggested Nintendo add backwards compatibility for 3DS games, that could work. Maybe not add a physical card slot for 3DS titles, but make it so all 3DS games on the eShop are forwards compatible, and make it so all future 3DS games are forwards compatible and can access NX-specific features like the Share button and so on. It'd keep both libraries alive for users of both formats, a bit like how the DS had a GBA cartridge slot and owners of the DS got the best of both worlds while the DS was still finding its own place on the market.

Personally, I'll probably always want to play 3DS games on the hardware itself, due to the 3D effect (obviously), and having its game appear natively on the display. Pixel-doubled 3DS games probably don't look too good, unless 3DS titles on NX render at a higher resolution.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why is this a surprise? They aren't going to completely abandon it instantly.

I'm ready to move on. Also, so much for, "One system, one stream of output! NX will have the best library ever!"

You do realize they could port things or just have budget titles, right? You act as if the vast majority of development won't be for NX.

I'm ready to move on. Also, so much for, "One system, one stream of output! NX will have the best library ever!"

I'm with you - I've been ready to move on since the end of last year, back when I expected NX to land this year.

I wonder if Emily Rogers means "Nintendo" as in Nintendo as a publisher, or NoA/NoE, rather than Nintendo as a team of developers. It feels like NCL has left 3DS in Japan to third parties and independent developers, whereas in the west, Nintendo doesn't have that luxury.

So to keep the format ticking over they'll probably be publishing other publishers' games and doing more localisation and/or marketing support for other stuff through to 2018.

Scrawnton

Good to hear. 3DS is my favorite system of all time and if NX is not BC, I will be playing my 3ds for at least another five years.

ozfunghi

It's basically the only reason why i wouldn't completely (as in 100%) ignore the DMP "speculation". Though i take it a modern Tegra would have no issues running a 3DS emulator if need be.

Dingens

makes sense since there are more than enough unlocalized 3ds games stuck in Japan already... and just as with the psp before, it's safe to assume that there will be quite a few new 3rd party titles coming as well.

and if it means that we be getting the more interesting version of dq11, I say bring it on!

not sure why people assume this means that Nintendo would start producing new 3ds games...

18-Volt

That, I don't believe. Thirst is real, developers would jump in the NX bandwagon as soon as it's out and never look back. 3DS was a system with inferior hardware to start with. If it's Nintendo who'll be supporting the system alone, well, their filler software suggest they have abandoned the system quite time ago. Mario Party or zombie projects like Federation Farts are their best bets.

GBA got software till 2006/7.

DS was released when GBA is just 3 years old. In march 2017, 3DS will be 6 and it's hardware will be a lots more dated than GBA in 2004.

Griss

I'm done with the 3DS the second NX hits so these games will be wasted on me.

Hopefully it's smaller, casual stuff rather than new entries in their bigger franchises. Surely they wouldn't be dumb enough to do that.

It does strike me, though, that after the Wii U they may be terrified that NX will flop utterly and need to have a backup plan to maintain revenue. Thus, not just letting the 3DS die.

Troll post? I'd argue that 3DS has the best 2016 line up out of any console.

You'd be way in the minority on that one, man. It has been a wasteland for me.

georly

Then you don't really seem to know much about Monster Games. They are a studio employing about 20 developers. The team started to work on NASCAR Heat Evolution in fall 2014 after Xenoblade Chronicles 3D was finished. NASCAR Heat Evolution isn't coming to Nintendo platforms. While it ultimately depends on the success of NASCAR Heat Evolution, the studio's currently intends to work on more NASCAR games in the coming years.

So you think they are rapidly expanding to work on a separate project for Nintendo?

The phrasing of parting ways seems to imply they'd never want to work with nintendo again. There's no reason they can't work with nintendo between projects or further down the line. Doesn't mean they have to work with nintendo either, but parting ways almost makes it sound like they weren't happy with nintendo and have moved on forever, which i'm not sure is the case.

Anth0ny

Minish Cap
Sacred Stones
Mario Party Advance
Mario Pinball Land
Pokémon Emerald
Drill Dozer
Red Rescue Team
Rhythm Tengoku
Mother 3
Bit Generations
WW Twisted
The Tower SP
Dr. Mario
DKC3
DK King of Swing
Polarium Advance

Pokémon B/W 2
Kirby Mass Attack

the difference there is the DS launched a mere 3 years after the GBA. DS was initially intended to be a third pillar and not the straight up successor to the GBA, so it doesn't surprise me that there were a bunch of GBA exclusive projects still in development while the DS was getting started.

look at the DS -> 3DS transition... DS was on the market for 7 years at that point, and 3DS was the straight up successor. there was no question about it. when you have a product like that on the market, the "old" console gets left in the dust, even if you sold a fuckzillion units like the DS did.

With 3DS to NX, we're looking at a product that has been on the market for 6 years. It's going to look a lot more like the DS -> 3DS transition than the GBA -> DS transition, I think.

hence my comment that we'll probably see one kirby next year and one random ass pokemon spinoff in 2018 that that'll be that. if nintendo barely supported the juggernaut that was the DS after the 3DS launched, why the fuck would they support the 3DS?

Neoxon

Pokemon Diamond & Pearl Remakes for 3DS, coming 2018.

I'm ready!
I sure as hell hope not. Fortunately, Game Freak was smart enough to not blow the Gen 3 remake on the DS during Gen 5. Hopefully they do the same for the Gen 4 remake & the NX.

It makes sense. It also points to the nx maybe being able to play 3ds games???

That would be awesome if true.

They've sold a lot of units in the last year or two and abandoning those users doesn't make sense.

maxcriden

the difference there is the DS launched a mere 3 years after the GBA. DS was initially intended to be a third pillar and not the straight up successor to the GBA, so it doesn't surprise me that there were a bunch of GBA exclusive projects still in development while the DS was getting started.

look at the DS -> 3DS transition... DS was on the market for 7 years at that point, and 3DS was the straight up successor. there was no question about it. when you have a product like that on the market, the "old" console gets left in the dust, even if you sold a fuckzillion units like the DS did.

With 3DS to NX, we're looking at a product that has been on the market for 6 years. It's going to look a lot more like the DS -> 3DS transition than the GBA -> DS transition, I think.

hence my comment that we'll probably see one kirby next year and one random ass pokemon spinoff in 2018 that that'll be that. if nintendo barely supported the juggernaut that was the DS after the 3DS launched, why the fuck would they support the 3DS?

Great points. I totally agree. DS was huge and Nintendo barely supported it beyond 6-7 years. 3DS will have been on the market for 6 years as you said. I wonder if you then would grant the premise that less successful HW should be supported even less than successful HW.

;) :D :D :D

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The phrasing of parting ways seems to imply they'd never want to work with nintendo again. There's no reason they can't work with nintendo between projects or further down the line. Doesn't mean they have to work with nintendo either, but parting ways almost makes it sound like they weren't happy with nintendo and have moved on forever, which i'm not sure is the case.

They basically ended their exclusive first-party contract at least for now. The thing is that Monster Games CEO really loves Nascar, and them returning to a multiple game deal with the Nascar license is the more attractive offering at the moment. Being that they are a small conservative studio, this is likely what they will be doing for the next couple of years at least.

gerudoman

Minish Cap
Sacred Stones
Mario Party Advance
Mario Pinball Land
Pokémon Emerald
Drill Dozer
Red Rescue Team
Rhythm Tengoku
Mother 3
Bit Generations
WW Twisted
The Tower SP
Dr. Mario
DKC3
DK King of Swing
Polarium Advance

Pokémon B/W 2
Kirby Mass Attack
Some really great games in there. Wario Ware Twisted, Rhythm Tengoku, Mother 3 and Minish Cap in particular would easily make it into my top 10 GBA games.

Feffe

Nintendo can easily supports the 3DS with ports and Virtual Console titles. Add SA1 support to SNES emulator and you have two big hits in Mario RPG and Kirby Dreamland 3. Throw a Virtual Boy Virtual Console and your fans will be happy. Give to F-Zero X the Star Fox 64 DS treatment and to Kirby Wii the DKCR one. And so on.

Shiggy

Pokémon Sun / Moon is done? Are you sure about that?

Pokemon X/Y were fully localised and content complete in May 2013 and released in October 2013, Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire in June and November 2014 respectively. We will know for sure in November, but it would surprise me if it was any different here.

That's not necessarily the case, just implies that they are not working with Nintendo for the foreseeable future, despite working with them exclusively for 10 years. But in case of Monster Games, it's not even too unlikely that their relationship was soured, given that they have not worked on a new game for years. During the 3DS days, they were just to a port studio (Pilotwings, DKCR, Xenoblade). Apart from that, they assisted on Retro's Wii U DK game.

Top Bottom