• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo plans to support 3DS with software through 2018

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Gonna call BS on "through 2018", that may be the plan right now, but I don't see Nintendo sticking to that final year. I hope they do, however.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how cheap the 3DS can get and if they should make it as cheap as possible with NX coming out.
I think 2DS is like $80 so $50 by next year sounds pretty good for an entry level handled but it would make NX seem considerably more expensive

If they hadn't just announced that Galaxy 3DS at $200, I'd have said that this upcoming 3DS Direct would have been the perfect chance announce a $20 price cut (while adding a game bundle) to n3DS XL to echo the new n3DS bundle. I see n3DS eventually hitting $120 and n3DS XL going to $150. I could also see 2DS at $60, n3DS at $100, and n3DS XL at $130 (perhaps with no bundled game), but that would be the final, final price before the system is completely phased out.

Actually, Game Freak does one remake per system. The DP remakes will be on NX, not on 3DS.

The point of remakes is to bring the games to systems where there's no way to play the originals. There was no way to play GBA on 3DS, so they did the remake. However there's still way to play DP on the 3DS.

I mostly agree with this and think it's good logic, but the Gen 1 remakes do go against your reasoning for why they exist. I wouldn't be surprised if the reasoning was still something like that, though, like perhaps having to do with Pokémon availability.

Gonna call BS on "through 2018", that may be the plan right now, but I don't see Nintendo sticking to that final year. I hope they do, however.

Agreed. 2017 is guaranteed right now, but if 3DS software sales tank and NX takes off, I see those 2018 3DS titles at least becoming cross-gen.

MacTag

Banned
Even the most obsessive of Nintendo followers should be able to see how absurd this comment is. 3DS this year has been pathetic compared to XB1, PS4 and PC.
It's a subjective response, and one that the poster puts forth as a possible argument only.

What wasn't a subjective statement was the absurd post he was responding to. 3DS has had more 1st party releases so far in 2016 than PS4, Xbox One and Steam combined.

Neoxon

We might see DP remakes on 3DS after all! Hopefully, it uses Platinum's content.
As stated earlier, the DS didn't see a Gen 3 remake during Gen 5. Also keep in mind that you can still play Gen 4 on your 3DS, so it doesn't really make much sense to do the remake on the 3DS.

If I had to guess, Game Freak may just do a sequel game for Sun/Moon in 2017 (which may or may not also see an NX release depending on how hard Nintendo pushes for it), then move on to Gen 8 on the NX exclusively & include the Gen 4 remakes with it.

Tron 2.0

By "support" could it mean that they will continue to license titles from 3rd parties through 2018? As in Nintendo isn't going to actively develop new software through 2018, but will continue to certify games and all of that.

This makes me happy. I'm not thrilled with the lack of a clamshell on the NX as a 'portable' system after so many years of DS, and I'd miss potentially losing Streetpass.

maxcriden

If they hadn't just announced that Galaxy 3DS at $200, I'd have said that this upcoming 3DS Direct would have been the perfect chance announce a $20 price cut (while adding a game bundle) to n3DS XL to echo the new n3DS bundle. I see n3DS eventually hitting $120 and n3DS XL going to $150. I could also see 2DS at $60, n3DS at $100, and n3DS XL at $130 (perhaps with no bundled game), but that would be the final, final price before the system is completely phased out.

Agreed. I think the price cut could still be coming in November, though, if the Trev leak was for a cut beyond what we got with the 3DL bundle. Maybe $175-80 XL, $130-50 regular.

...So what you're saying is that there's still hope for Great Ace Attorney?

I'd say there's hope for a fanslation.

18-Volt

This gives me full relief, because it tells me that YW3 could be localized here.

Of course, this is just a rumor, but still.

Yeah 2017 pretty much will be the "Yokai Watch" year for 3DS in NA:

Yokai Watch 2 Third Version
Yokai Busters
Yokai Sangokushi
and Yokai Watch 3 for fall 2017.

Actually, It's gonna be the year of Level-5, with Layton 7 and Snack World are also on the way.

Vibranium

Banned
Great Ace Attorney when? Please capcom.

I'm with you my man. It will probably take a while to see Ace Attorney 7 on the NX anyways so surely Capcom could get Janet Hsu and co. to tackle Dai Gyakuten Saiban. Throw it on the eshop and we're good to go. I really hope someone is still pushing behind the scenes...

vareon

I'm with you my man. It will probably take a while to see Ace Attorney 7 on the NX anyways so surely Capcom could get Janet Hsu and co. to tackle Dai Gyakuten Saiban. Throw it on the eshop and we're good to go. I really hope someone is still pushing behind the scenes...
Maybe that's what they mean by supporting it through 2018. Localizing Dai Gyakuten Saiban takes 3 years.

Vibranium

Banned
Maybe that's what they mean by supporting it through 2018. Localizing Dai Gyakuten Saiban takes 3 years.

Heck, I would take an Ace Attorney Investigations 2 localization a full 5 years after release, despite having already played the English fan patch!

Good, I love the 3DS, it has an amazing library and deserves a longer life. Plus plenty of extra time for Streetpass to continue so I can collect and stockpile lots and lots of Traveller's Tablet dungeons in DQ VII.

I don't see Gamefreak making a NX game and 3DS game. I think Sun/Moon is the last 3DS game from them. It's time for them to move on to NX and help sell that system.

redcrayon

I suppose that makes sense since NX isn't replacing 3DS and 3DS is till fairly popular.

I guess what we took as an implication of Pokemon moving to NX isn't true though. :(

Even the most obsessive of Nintendo followers should be able to see how absurd this comment is. 3DS this year has been pathetic compared to XB1, PS4 and PC.
I wouldn't say it's been the best (you can't really argue with western multiplat stuff, both AAA and indies, for variety) but I wouldn't say it's been pathetic either, depends what you're into. MH Generations, FE Fates and Bravely Default 2 are all critically acclaimed games you can't really play anywhere else. One of the better years for 3DS games.

It gets discarded as 'JRPGs' but really it's multiple genres like SRPGs, JRPGs, hunting games, dungeon crawlers, in the same way that I have zero interest in western shooters, but claiming they are all the same thing would be ridiculous when really the genres are FPS, TPS, open world etc etc. Personally the former list appeals to me much more than the latter, but hey, to each their own.

Personally I've had little interest in any of the major games that came out on PS4 this year apart from a handful of multiplats, Deus Ex is the first one in 2016 to really make me think 'I'd like to play that'.

I'll be shocked if Nintendo makes more 3DS games themselves. They probably know JP third parties will continue to make 3DS games into 2017 and are calling that 'support'. Pokemon will likely be cross-gen and then Nintendo will move on to NX fully.

Neoxon

I don't see Gamefreak making a NX game and 3DS game. I think Sun/Moon is the last 3DS game from them. It's time for them to move on to NX and help sell that system.
Game Freak cares more about a bigger existing install base than building up a new one. Judging by this report (assuming it's true), whatever 3rd game Gen 7 gets may end up being either 3DS-only or a cross-gen release (which may be likely considering the MCV report, which Emily Rogers vetted). Of course, this depends on what Nintendo defines as "supporting" the 3DS (it could be just late localizations, which made up most of the 3DS's US line-up this year). And even then, Nintendo would likely have to push Game Freak to support the NX early on.

tr1p1ex

Doesn't mean much if anything. Support can mean 1 game. And Nintendo hasn't said this. It's a vague rumor. Thru 2018 could mean until Jan 1, 2018. That isn't exactly something we wouldn't expect anyway given the NX isn't launching until March 2017 at the earliest.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Game Freak cares more about a bigger existing install base than building up a new one. Judging by this report (assuming it's true), whatever 3rd game Gen 7 gets may end up being either 3DS-only or a cross-gen release (which may be likely considering the MCV report, which Emily Rogers vetted). Of course, this depends on what Nintendo defines as "supporting" the 3DS (it could be just late localizations, which made up most of the 3DS's US line-up this year). And even then, Nintendo would likely have to push Game Freak to support the NX early on.

Following up on what you said, the crazy thing is that 3DS could easily have a solid 2017 and an okay 2018 in the US if Nintendo just localized games. There are a good number of significant titles that never left Japan. Assuming Yo-kai Watch 2 doesn't bomb (it might), I'm guessing YW3 is a lock for 2017 in the US while Level-5 works on YW4 for NX with a near simultaneous release in 2017/2018.

leroidys

Just give me an F-Zero X 3D a la Starfox, OoT and MM, and I'll be happy until 2018.

2016 was actually a lot better for releases than I expected, so maybe there's something to this.

SoulUnison

Banned
Because NX is "third pillar," like the DS was at first.

I bet they plan to support the 3DS for a while longer in case the NX crashes and burns, in which case it was a quirky experiment and "Oops! Well we still have our incredibly popular 3DS line!" But if it takes off then the DS series will just sort of quietly fade away like the Game Boy name did.

I think Emily has been wrong multiple times before and will be wrong multiple times again. We might few games here or there, but I don't think you are going to see much for 3DS in 2018.

That's pretty much why I think she might be referring to Nintendo as a publisher outside of Japan. I'm sure NoA and NoE have plans to release stuff like Youkai Watch 3, Lady Layton and Monster Hunter Stories, and there's probably going to be a few cross-gen handheld type games.

In Japan, third party support is still going fine, with A-Train 3D NEO, Puyo Puyo Chronicle, Monster Hunter Chronicles, and now indies carrying the system forward. So I'm not really expecting any major new games from Nintendo's internal developers, or even their partners, in 2018. Ever Oasis is a thing next year, and we might see one or two more games for 2017.

Guess we'll see, hopefully the Direct will have some 2017 3DS stuff in it.

Nintendo will be supporting the 3DS through 2018 in much the same way that they supported the Wii U through 2016...

Which is to say, the 3DS will get some more virtual console and indie titles, and some pared down versions of simpler NX games, and maybe a couple more fairly low-effort exclusives.

But I basically guarantee you that Nintendo does not actually plan on 3DS hardware sales making up a huge chunk of their revenue. They're going to slow production, trickle out software to help sell through the last of their stock along with strategic price cuts, and give the 3DS a nice easy couple of twilight years before total retirement from a pretty fantastic run (as opposed to the Wii U never really hitting its stride before it got sent up north to the family farm).

120v

it'd be wise to devote some honest to god non-filler support to 3DS up til the end of the decade... for one it's insurance in case the NX flops, second it has a huge install base obviously

since it'll probably be the last stereoscopic 3D system i'd like to see more stuff before it goes. for example an original Star Fox would be great, Mario 3D Land deserves a sequel, ect

but realistically, yeah, i think this is pretty much it for the system

marmoka

Banned
From today till 2018 many things could happen. Perhaps NX sells extremely well and many 3ds-planned games move there. Or the 3DS still sells well, the NX is fine but they rather continue supporting 3DS.

Whatever it is, she was warning us that Nintendo hasn't abandoned the handheld. This Direct showed that the 3DS has still a long life.

Whatever happens, don't be surprised if they announce the following ports:
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze 3D
Paper Mario Color Splash 3D
Starfox Zero 3D
Zelda Wind Waker 3D

Even Super Mario 3D World 3DS could happen

From today till 2018 many things could happen. Perhaps NX sells extremely well and many 3ds-planned games move there. Or the 3DS still sells well, the NX is fine but they rather continue supporting 3DS.

Whatever it is, she was warning us that Nintendo hasn't abandoned the handheld. This Direct showed that the 3DS has still a long life.

Whatever happens, don't be surprised if they announce the following ports:
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze 3D
Paper Mario Color Splash 3D
Starfox Zero 3D
Zelda Wind Waker 3D

Even Super Mario 3D World 3DS could happen

HOLY SHIT Wind Waker 3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom