• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo plans to support 3DS with software through 2018

I'm not really surprised. I see a similar situation to the GBA where the DS was being called a third pillar device and the GBA got some more decently significant games a couple years after DS's release.

Well as mentioned GBA was only 3.5 years old when the DS released, so it made sense that it got support from Nintendo until 2005.

I can see 3DS getting some unlocalized games published by Nintendo throughout 2017, especially Level-5 stuff. Possibly a Pokemon spinoff (The Pokemon Company isn't quite as quick to change platforms), a Kirby spinoff and/or a port by a small external company (Mario Sunshine? F-Zero X?).

Then you don't really seem to know much about Monster Games. They are a studio employing about 20 developers. The team started to work on NASCAR Heat Evolution in fall 2014 after Xenoblade Chronicles 3D was finished. NASCAR Heat Evolution isn't coming to Nintendo platforms. While it ultimately depends on the success of NASCAR Heat Evolution, the studio's currently intends to work on more NASCAR games in the coming years.

So you think they are rapidly expanding to work on a separate project for Nintendo?

working on other projects for other companies /=/ never working again with Nintendo

I'm guessing this has at least partially to do with NX getting a gamefreak Pokemon game early on.
There's no BC in any of the rumors so it wouldn't make sense to make one of their biggest franchise exclusive to something other than their latest system...but I imagine they don't want to give up the big installbase.
Maybe Pokemon Solar Eclipse and Pokemon Lunar Eclipse but one exclusive to 3DS and the other exclusive to NX.
It would be amazing if they went the extra mile like Dragon Quest XI and made two different games but that they could interact with each other. They can likely keep the Pokemon models as they look pretty good but I think it's time to revamp the overworld. Have it be more 3D with a fully controllable camera. It wouldn't look good on NX with the poor texture work they have. Maybe they can even use the battle character models for the trainers as the model the NX version uses in the overworld and for cutscenes

MacTag

Banned
They've barely supported it this year
You'd be way in the minority on that one, man. It has been a wasteland for me.
3DS has had a pretty great year tbh. From Nintendo alone there's been BoxBoxBoy, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, Fire Emblem Fates, Hyrule Warriors Legends, Kirby Robobot, Mario & Luigi 5, Style Savvy 3, Pocket Card Jockey, Bravely Second and coming up there's still DQVII, DQVIII, Yokai Watch 2 and Pokemon SunMoon. And that's only the stuff I was interested in.

I mean it's going to vary by taste but objectively Nintendo's been putting out a ton of content on the system. 3DS is getting a heavier 1st party lineup this year than Wii U, PS4 or Xbox One are. If you want to see what a barely supported platform looks like from a 1st party perspective, take a look at the last several years for Vita.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I am not surprise, considering that the 3DS havent lose any steam yet. Seems the 3DS will further consolidate the handheld market in the next few years

Macka

Hmm, not a fan of the idea tbh. Nintendo should be focusing on making the NX the best it can be, so continuing to support the 3DS for another few years seems like a bad idea. Wasn't the entire point of the NX being a hybrid so that they could have both their handheld and console teams working on games for the same system?

It's also disappointing to think that this means we probably won't have a true NX Pokemon game until 2019. :/

udivision

Why is everyone suggesting a Pokemon spinoff? Gen 7 just started on the 3DS. The 3DS is getting the next mainline (remake) game. Gen 7 isn't going to jump ship for the NX.

Neoxon

Why is everyone suggesting a Pokemon spinoff? Gen 7 just started on the 3DS. The 3DS is getting the next mainline (remake) game. Gen 7 isn't going to jump ship for the NX.
To be fair, Gen 5 never got a remake game. They may just do the sequel game & move on.

Hmm, not a fan of the idea tbh. Nintendo should be focusing on making the NX the best it can be, so continuing to support the 3DS for another few years seems like a bad idea. Wasn't the entire point of the NX being a hybrid so that they could have both their handheld and console teams working on games for the same system?

It's also disappointing to think that this means we probably won't have a true NX Pokemon game until 2019. :/

I banked on this the moment Sun and Moon were announced considering B/W.

I'm not really sure what else Nintendo would release at this point considering DS was meandering on their part. Probably just some last minute localizations of things already done.

3DS has had a pretty great year tbh. From Nintendo alone there's been BoxBoxBoy, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, Fire Emblem Fates, Hyrule Warriors Legends, Kirby Robobot, Mario & Luigi 5, Style Savvy 3, Pocket Card Jockey, Bravely Second and coming up there's still DQVII, DQVIII, Yokai Watch 2 and Pokemon SunMoon. And that's only the stuff I was interested in.

I mean it's going to vary by taste but objectively Nintendo's been putting out a ton of content on the system. 3DS is getting a heavier 1st party lineup this year than Wii U, PS4 or Xbox One are. If you want to see what a barely supported platform looks like from a 1st party perspective, take a look at the last several years for Vita.
This is what I've got for 2016. I'm sure I'm still missing some stuff as this list is just copy/pasted from my "stuff I want/might buy" wish list.

Pretty fantastic lineup for a 'dead' console.

[3DS] Azure Striker Pack
[3DS] Mario and Luigi Paper Jam
[3DS] Kirby Planet Robobot
[3DS] Fire Emblem Fates
[3DS] Zero Time Dilemma
[3DS] 7th Dragon III code:VFD
[3DS] Monster Hunter Generations
[3DS] Metroid Prime: Federation Force
[3DS] Style Savvy: Fashion Forward
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
[3DS] Corpse Party
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
[3DS] Dragon Quest VIII Journey of the Cursed King
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits / Fleshy Souls
[3DS] Pokémon Sun/Moon
[3DS] Mario Party Star Rush
[3DS] Runbow Pocket Deluxe
[3DS] River City: Tokyo Rumble
[3DS] Harvest Moon: Skytree Village
[3DS] Story of Seasons 2
[3DS eShop] forma.8
[3DS eShop] Gurumin 3D: A Monstrous Adventure
[3DS eShop] Noitu Love: Devolution
[3DS eShop] BoxBoxBoy
[3DS eShop] Severed
[3DS eShop] Legend of Kusakari
[3DS eShop] 80’s Overdrive
[3DS eShop] Punch Club
[3DS eShop] Dementium 2 Remastered
[3DS eShop] Ambition of Slimes
[3DS eShop] Life Speed
[3DS eShop] Futurium EP Deluxe
[3DS eShop] Shakedown Hawaii
[3DS eShop] Treasurenauts
[3DS eShop] Antipole DX
[3DS eShop] Protect Me Knight 2
[3DS eShop] Omori
[3DS eShop] DJMax Encore

LordOfChaos

I'm sure I have heard the "third pillar" BS from Nintendo many times now and judging by their Wii U line-up, it was a lie again this time. The 3DS should at least get third party Japanese games for a while longer, especially if the NX doesn't take off.

Yep. Didn't they use it for the DS before abandoning the prior hardware too?

Griss

So when you say 'it's going to vary by taste' what you mean is 'Do you like JRPGs? If so, it's good. If not... sorry.'
I don't like JRPGs and FE Fates was a huge disappointment.

AmyS

I look forward to another year of localizations, culminating with Dragon Quest XI for 3DS

Yep.

I pretty much called it, on the 18th.

With 3DS sales taking off again, and DQ VII and VIII on the way, I hope the 3DS version of DQ XI eventually gets localized, after its Japanese release next year. So hopefully 2018 for NA and EU. There's No reason 3DS can't have life in 2018.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=214158378&postcount=49

oti

Banned
This is what I've got for 2016. I'm sure I'm still missing some stuff as this list is just copy/pasted from my "stuff I want/might buy" wish list.

Pretty fantastic lineup for a 'dead' console.

Wait, this reads like a Vita post.

Maybe the 3DS really is dead?
It's not. This was a joke. Don't ban me please.

MacTag

Banned
So when you say 'it's going to vary by taste' what you mean is 'Do you like JRPGs? If so, it's good. If not... sorry.'
I don't like JRPGs and FE Fates was a huge disappointment.
Sure, it's reasonable not to really go for what 3DS is offering. But it's sort of more of what it's always been offering (JRPGs, platformers, Monhan, etc) so I'd sort of question why you might have ever gone for 3DS in the first place?

Also, seems like it'd be you "way in the minority" on Fates. ;)

DylanEno

Please, no. I've enjoyed the 3DS up to this point (hell, I own 5 of them), but it's such an archaic system by now. So tired of playing the latest monster hunter game on that tiny screen with muddled visuals.

Probably Virtual Console, I'm not expecting anything big from Nintendo.

Let's look at the Nintendo franchise 3DS games released this year that weren't released last year elsewhere.

Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam, Kirby Planet Robobot and Mario Party Star Rush were all sequels to already released 3DS games.

Federation Force was both a third-party developer and Nintendo basically forgot about it.

Pokémon always takes a while to appear on the new console.

This was a year without a new console and that was their lineup.

It'll be supported by Japanese 3rd parties who always wait a few years before investing in new hardware. I mean the first Japanese publisher brave enough to release a PS4 only retail game was freakin Idea Factory. PS3 games are still being released to this day.

Opa-Pa

Aw yes, fantastic news if true. I love the 3DS and there's still many games left to localize and SNES titles to bring to VC. I wouldn't mind a couple of smaller games from Nintendo either.

Didn't think it'd be possible with the NX being technically a portable too.

Honestly, we'll probably get a much greater sense of Nintendo's support of the handheld after tomorrow's Nintendo Direct. So too early to tell right now.

Banned
They want to keep selling 3DS while NX is on the market. Kind of like the first two years of DS where the GBA was still getting good stuff

Probably Virtual Console, I'm not expecting anything big from Nintendo.

Let's look at the Nintendo franchise 3DS games released this year that weren't released last year elsewhere.

Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam, Kirby Planet Robobot and Mario Party Star Rush were all sequels to already released 3DS games.

Federation Force was both a third-party developer and Nintendo basically forgot about it.

Pokémon always takes a while to appear on the new console.

This was a year without a new console and that was their lineup.

Not if the last few years are anything to go by... though Pokemon was pretty rad.

MacTag

Banned
Didn't think it'd be possible with the NX being technically a portable too.
Perhaps the plan is to keep 3DS going until NX can be shrunk down to a comparable handheld size? From what we're hearing the NX is more tablet scale right now.

Z3M0G

I always assumed Federation Force would be my last 3DS purchase... so maybe they will surprise me down the road.

Jubenhimer

I can see Nintendo keeping around for a while as a sort of "iPod nano" style device for kids. Get them hooked on a mobile game, then they'll want a 3DS, then as they get older, they'll hopefully upgrade to NX. Seems like a decent strategy in theory.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Echoing Neoxon, remember that Gen 5 didn't get a remake. To me, it seems more like they do one remake per engine (3, 4, 6). But you may be right.

so nx is a third pillar?

Exactly. I'm nearly positive Nintendo has used this exact phrasing.

EDIT: Looking things up, it seems that Nintendo did not use that phrasing, but they did say it would not be replacing Wii U or 3DS, which many took to be an echo of the "third pillar" ideas.

I wonder how cheap the 3DS can get and if they should make it as cheap as possible with NX coming out.
I think 2DS is like $80 so $50 by next year sounds pretty good for an entry level handled but it would make NX seem considerably more expensive

MacTag

Banned
I wonder how cheap the 3DS can get and if they should make it as cheap as possible with NX coming out.
I think 2DS is like $80 so $50 by next year sounds pretty good for an entry level handled but it would make NX seem considerably more expensive
$79 for 2DS is a good price, that's already GBA territory. They need to drop the n3DS ($149) and XL ($199 still!) much more.

Atheerios

Echoing Neoxon, remember that Gen 5 didn't get a remake. To me, it seems more like they do one remake per engine (3, 4, 6). But you may be right.

Exactly. I'm nearly positive Nintendo has used this exact phrasing.

Actually, Game Freak does one remake per system. The DP remakes will be on NX, not on 3DS.

The point of remakes is to bring the games to systems where there's no way to play the originals. There was no way to play GBA on 3DS, so they did the remake. However there's still way to play DP on the 3DS.

Well if NX is a hybrid I guess this is really only the second Pillar lol

But if true, then we should really hear about some bigger game announcements tomorrow. 3DS isn't going to make it through 2018 with spin off filler titles. We know virtually nothing of what is even coming out for it next year.

Servbot24

Banned
I suppose that makes sense since NX isn't replacing 3DS and 3DS is till fairly popular.

I guess what we took as an implication of Pokemon moving to NX isn't true though. :(

Troll post? I'd argue that 3DS has the best 2016 line up out of any console.

Even the most obsessive of Nintendo followers should be able to see how absurd this comment is. 3DS this year has been pathetic compared to XB1, PS4 and PC.

Top Bottom