• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan goes full blown MRA; defends Trump, denies gender wage gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
15:00 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u4iiSUsL5w

There's a lot here and Burr doesn't come out looking great, but Rogan comes out worse.

Referring to Trump's discussion with Billy Bush regarding pussy grabbing:

Joe Rogan said:
We say it for fun, we say it because it's funny

39:40 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u4iiSUsL5w

Rogan outright denying there is any wage disparity between men and women, but then throwing in "almost no" later on:

Joe Rogan said:
It's just not true. When they're working side by side there's almost no disparity.

Talks about how he knows because he uses Google. I guess he missed resources like this: http://www.aauw.org/research/the-simple-truth-about-the-gender-pay-gap/

Bill Burr tries to change the topic a few times but Rogan doesn't bite.

louie.gif

I've tried to defend both of them a lot over the years. Burr is still... ok, I guess, but at this point I'm basically checked out with Rogan.

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

Isn't it pretty much well established there is a difference between what men and women are paid in UFC? Like wasn't rousey one of the first to even remotely get paid what the dudes get paid?

Joe Rogan is the kind of guy who has to have to have the moon landing conspiracy debunked by an astrophysicist in person in order for him to change his views. He's always been an idiot.

Isn't it pretty much well established there is a difference between what men and women are paid in UFC? Like wasn't rousey one of the first to even remotely get paid what the dudes get paid?

this is a weird argument as ronda was the first woman in the ufc.
it's not like there were any before her.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Does it have to do with advertising ? Perhaps not as many people watch the women one, so less advertisers means less money?

Not particularly to he honest. There are many women in the UFC making more than the men. Holm, Tate, Rousey, Joanna Champion, etc are all among the top paid.

Also there were no women fighters in the UFC until Rousey.

Not saying there isn't a pay gap in regular life but there isn't a huge notable one in the UFC

I thought he was a pretty liberal guy?

Joe has a spectrum and isn't what you could categorize as either Liberal or Conservative. He also bashes on Trump all the time and won't be voting for him.

Chumley

Banned
Don't get your political views based on two comedians shooting the shit on a podcast?

Uh, I don't. I just think it's depressing that Rogan, who used to be a kind of intelligent person, has now pretty much gone all in with the alt-right MRA crowd. It's not just political, his views around everything has gravitated this way with frequent rants against "SJW's".

Joe has a spectrum and isn't what you could categorize as either Liberal or Conservative. He also bashes on Trump all the time and won't be voting for him.

I disagree. He thinks Trump is an idiot but hilarious. He genuinely hates Hillary Clinton though, and his beliefs (besides pot) lean way more conservative than anything else.

akileese

UFC isn't a good example because neither male or female fighters make a good wage for the level of work they do. The female fighters do make less, but if they were allowed to make money off of sponsorships I think the pay discrepancy would decrease significantly. UFC pay is based mostly on drawing power. Women who draw well get paid better than those that do not. Sports in general are really a terrible example for the wage discrepancy since pay tends to correlate with league value and TV ratings.

Wage discrepancy is a very real thing and the fact that Rogan doubles down and pretty much refuses to see it is mind blowing.

I disagree. He thinks Trump is an idiot but hilarious. He genuinely hates Hillary Clinton though, and his beliefs (besides pot) lean way more conservative than anything else.

He has tons of liberal views. He also has some conservative ones as well.

But trying to paint him as an "alt-right" Trump supporter isn't true. He doesn't like either of the candidates at all.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I watched about 10 minutes of his Netflix special and I was like "WTF is this MRA bullshit" and turned it off.

JackDT

As if the problem is the language used and not the meaning of the words. Literally the talking point for every Trump surrogate. "Hillary likes Beyonce, and she uses bad words too!" lol

Chumley

Banned
He has tons of liberal views. He also has some conservative ones as well.

But trying to paint him as an "alt-right" Trump supporter isn't true. He doesn't like either of the candidates at all.

He's had Milo Yiannapolis on multiple times and Eddie Bravo, a guy who thinks Sandy Hook was faked and loves Trump, is on constantly. He panders to the alt-right crowd like crazy.

i just had to google this because i didn't believe it was real

and then i watched the trailer where he talks about "this bruce jenner thing"

in a comedy special released in octorber 2016

He's had Milo Yiannapolis on multiple times and Eddie Bravo, a guy who thinks Sandy Hook was faked and loves Trump, is on constantly. He panders to the alt-right crowd like crazy.

Not to mention he has been on Infowars and is/was buds with Alex Jones

Bill Burr tries to change the topic a few times but Rogan doesn't bite.

When fucking Bill Burr, a guy whose most popular routine is about how its okay to want to hit women, is telling you that you've gone too far....

Joe Rogan is the kind of guy who has to have to have the moon landing conspiracy debunked by an astrophysicist in person in order for him to change his views.

But would it really?

I actually just looked it up and I think he's probably citing wikipedia.

In the United States, the average female's unadjusted annual salary has been cited as 78% of that of the average male.[6] However, multiple studies from OECD, AAUW, and the US Department of Labor have found that pay rates between males and females varied by 5–6.6% or, females earning 94 cents to every dollar earned by their male counterparts, when wages were adjusted to different individual choices made by male and female workers in college major, occupation, working hours, and maternal/paternal leave. The remaining 6% of the gap has been speculated to originate from deficiency in salary negotiating skills and sexual discrimination.[7][8][9][10]

I have no idea if any of this is accurate and I'm too lazy to look into it further.

And he has liberals on all the time as well. Rogan says on a weekly basis that the idea of a Trump Presidency is scary and that he is racist and an asshole.

I don't agree with all of Joe's opinions at all, but it seems weird to try to box in his viewpoints in general as alt-right. He's basically a Lib with some dashes of Liberalism and some of Conservative

Chumley

Banned
And he has liberals on all the time as well. Rogan says on a weekly basis that the idea of a Trump Presidency is scary and that he is racist and an asshole.

I don't agree with all of Joe's opinions at all, but it seems weird to try to box in his viewpoints in general as alt-right. He's basically a Lib with some dashes of Liberalism and some of Conservative

So the alt-right should be given just as much oxygen as liberals? That's your argument? Might make sense if he had sane republicans on instead of people backing hate campaigns. The fact that he had Milo on even once is telling.

border

It's always disappointing when someone you enjoy gets a taste of the alt-right audience's money, and suddenly doubles down on the crazy. Plenty of gamers saw it happen when their Youtube favorites suddenly wanted to give a voice to Gamergate. I've been particularly dismayed by it happening in the ashes of Maddox's Biggest Problem in the Universe podcast.

A lot of times it's just a case of "funny misogyny" turning into legitimate, sincere misogyny.

All that said, hasn't the 70-80% wage gap been mostly debunked? Comparing within professions and schedules, isn't it something closer to 90%?

I heard this.

I like Burr but honestly, any time I hear Rogan talk I can't help but think that he's a total fucking idiot. I mean it. I think Joe Rogan is legitimately stupid.

He's the kind of guy who only absorbs headlines because he can't muddle his way through full articles. Have you ever met someone like this? Someone who feigns intellect by having a very shallow understanding of a wide variety of topics. It might come off as impressive to other idiots but it's a loathsome quality that anyone with half a brain can see through.

Chumley

Banned
It's always disappointing when someone you enjoy gets a taste of the alt-right audience's money, and suddenly doubles down on the crazy. Plenty of gamers saw it happen when their Youtube favorites suddenly wanted to give a voice to Gamergate. I've been particularly dismayed by it happening in the ashes of Maddox's Biggest Problem in the Universe podcast.

A lot of times it's just a case of "funny misogyny" turning into legitimate, sincere misogyny.

All that said, hasn't the 70-80% wage gap been mostly debunked? Comparing within professions and schedules, isn't it something closer to 90%?

What ended up happening with the Maddox podcast? I listened to it for a while. Has he gone more into the alt-right stuff? I know Dick Masterson is basically a die hard Trumper.

So the alt-right should be given just as much oxygen as liberals? That's your argument? The fact that he had Milo on even once is telling.

I'm not a fan of the alt right or super Liberalism personally. Of the two the alt-right are certainly far more dangerous.

I'm not here to defend all of Joe's views. Some of them suck, some are good. His podcast is a great listen just down to variety of guests and topics. People from a huge range of interests and beliefs.

Only thing I push back on is trying to paint him as a Trump supporter. It's not even remotely accurate

The wage gap issue isn't clear cut at all. Plenty of legitimate sources, that have nothing to do with the alt-right, have shown that the gap is much lower than 78%.

The alt-right is the reason that one-trick youtubers have five figure monthly patreons. The fact that opportunists willing to jump into that shit pit, just for the sake of the almighty dollar, is fucking disgraceful.

Squalor

Many liberal-leaning publications have shown that when adjusting for education and hours worked, there's virtually no wage gap.

Men generally work longer hours. Men generally work more dangerous jobs. Those things result in a wage disparity.

Rogan has been a loud-mouthed know-nothing for a while.

Chumley

Banned
I'm not a fan of the alt right or super Liberalism personally.

I'm not here to defend all of Joe's views. Some of them suck, some are good. His podcast is a great listen just down to variety of guests and topics. People from a huge range of interests and beliefs.

Only thing I push back on is trying to paint him as a Trump supporter. It's not even remotely accurate

Never said he's a Trump supporter, but he has never expressed half the legitimate hatred he has for Clinton towards him. He thinks Trump is entertaining.

KarmaCow

The off-quoted 79 cents on the dollar bit is ignoring the actual job differences between men and women but to say it's meaningless also means discounting all the mechanisms (or lack there of) in the place that result in women overall making less money.

Cronox

Banned
Haven't listened to this episode yet, but y'all are stretching if you're saying Rogan has taken a side with the alt-right or for Trump. Rogan is intellectually out of his league on a variety of topics, but lets be clear, on his podcast everything that isn't MMA gets shit on all the time. Sometimes guests come on and insist on talking about important topics without much sense (Greg Fitzsimmons comes to mind) and Joe will empathize and go with it up to a certain point, probably past where he should. They're comedians and MMA fighters on a podcast, and not the people to have these sorts of conversations for a crowd of serious politically minded people (ie GAF, when reminded that Joe Rogan exists). And yet, it's Joe's podcast and he can do what he wants, even if I shake my head and start skipping ahead when he and his guest are in obvious "don't know what they're talking about" territory.

Know what you're getting into on Joe's podcast. He does have some interesting guests on occasionally but personally I don't listen nearly as much as I used to because Joe is intellectually out of his element too often. Even when he has really smart people on his show, he sometimes really downgrades the conversation by being a dummy and asking stupid questions. In the end he's a comedian, and he and his guests are often somewhat high/drunk while recording. Don't expect stuff you'd hold up as an example of important human conversations in history or anything.

So the alt-right should be given just as much oxygen as liberals? That's your argument? Might make sense if he had sane republicans on instead of people backing hate campaigns. The fact that he had Milo on even once is telling.

I listened to that more recent episode and it's pretty clear Joe likes Milo because he has a kind of weird fun/jokey charisma, even if he's almost entirely full of shit. To Joe, Milo is that charismatic friend that says crazy shit half the time that leaves you going "wtf did you just say bro?" In other words, a great podcast guest.

Never said he's a Trump supporter, but he has never expressed half the legitimate hatred he has for Clinton towards him. He thinks Trump is entertaining.

Oh I don't disagree with you on that. I'm pretty certain if the GOP could have mustered an even ok candidate he would be voting Republican this election.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I listen to Bill Burr podcast twice a week while he certainly isn't one to be a champion of women's rights I doubt I would be shocked by anything here.

I can't comment on Rogan since my only exposure to him was way back on fear factor. I know he has a widely followed podcast but I'm not one of them.

I'm just tagging this thread so I can listen tomorrow and give a more informed opinion.

Yeah nothing like a fascist making an honest run at the White House to bring out the luls. The fact that the political climate allowed for this is a deep tragedy.

Chumley

Banned
Haven't listened to this episode yet, but y'all are stretching if you're saying Rogan has taken a side with the alt-right or for Trump. Rogan is intellectually out of his league on a variety of topics, but lets be clear, on his podcast everything that isn't MMA gets shit on all the time. Sometimes guests come on and insist on talking about important topics without much sense (Greg Fitzsimmons comes to mind) and Joe will empathize and go with it up to a certain point, probably past where he should. They're comedians and MMA fighters on a podcast, and not the people to have these sorts of conversations for a crowd of serious politically minded people (ie GAF, when reminded that Joe Rogan exists). And yet, it's Joe's podcast and he can do what he wants, even if I shake my head and start skipping ahead when he and his guest are in obvious "don't know what they're talking about" territory.

Know what you're getting into on Joe's podcast. He does have some interesting guests on occasionally but personally I don't listen nearly as much as I used to because Joe is intellectually out of his element too often. Even when he has really smart people on his show, he sometimes really downgrades the conversation by being a dummy and asking stupid questions. In the end he's a comedian, and he and his guests are often somewhat high/drunk while recording. Don't expect stuff you'd hold up as an example of important human conversations in history or anything.

Really depends on how lenient you are with alt-right shit. To me he might as well be all in on the juice when he has Milo on and says "I love the guy, he's a troll but I love him" and gets SUPER serious when they start talking about Leslie Jones making fun of white people. He said almost verbatim "why is she allowed to do that?". And then when Eddie Bravo starts ranting about Clinton he says "that's interesting" over and over again. Not to mention how much he rags on "SJW's" without a hint of irony.

Point is that depending on the day of the week, the shoe fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom