• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro: TLOU Remastered performs worse than base PS4....even at 1080P

psychotron

READ THE QUOTE AND COMMENTS BELOW. I WORDED THE TITLE SHITTY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a58dH2OzgB0

The Last of Us on PS4 Pro runs worse than the standard PS4 model while targeting 60fps. With the resolution set to 1800p in its 60fps mode on PS4 Pro, we see frame-rate drops in places that played out smoothly on the original machine.

Sadly, there's no way to restore the same level of 60fps performance on PS4 Pro - as even switching its front-end video setting to output at 1080p causes the machine to natively render at 1800p, incurring the same frame-rate hit. Note: this is patch 1.07, and may improve with future updates.

2016-11-1116_17_40-thj7usi.png

2016-11-1115_55_30-thewogo.png

This is what has me scared to upgrade. I was dead set on getting my Pro today, but I'm not going to deal with worse performance than the base machine even at the same resolution.

edit: People seem to be getting confused based on my title. What I mean is that even if you set the PS4 Pro to 1080P, it will still render at a higher resolution and downsample, giving the performance issues. So there is no possible way to achieve the base PS4 experience. Nobody is saying it's unplayable, but it DOES drop up to 6fps in spots versus the base PS4.

Here is an article by Eurogamer about it, thanks catashtrophe. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-pro-titles-running-slower-than-base-hardware

psychotron

Based on your post it's not actually rendering at 1080p.

Patch will fix it hopefully.

I hope so, but the thought that I paid to "upgrade", and games could potentially end up running better on the base system unless properly patched....craziness.

Spanky

Neo Member
1800P (at least) and a few frames here and there (from 60fps) - this is pretty good to me - and oh boy does it look good.

Rellik

Well yeah... it's a higher resolution...

EDIT: Oh wait, I see what you're saying now. There definitely should be a way to get the base PS4 experience. That's BS.

Not sure how often this happens and how severe these frame-drops are. Maybe it's barely noticeable. But if it's really noticeable throughout the game than it's a bit of a shame.

Shredderi

That's pretty disappointing. NEVER go backwards, not even a little. Always be at the very least as good as the one that came before.

Loris146

The bottom line is that ND should allow to play at native 1080p to get the best performance. Right now the game render at 1800p on performance mode and downscale at 1080p.

Metfanant

I mean even if you set it to the same resolution. There's literally no way for you to get the base PS4 experience because it automatically downsamples.

yeah, because its rendering internally at 1800p or whatever...thats a shit ton more pixels than 1080p

In that specific matter it seems that the gpu that's not powerful enough to deliver 60fps at 1800p.
Just watched the video and it is explained there that the alpha effects are the culprit here, which are rendered on GPU. So yeh, they could have tried a slightly lower resolution here.

Charamiwa

Banned
It should be noted that on the Pro the 60fps runs at 1800p, so you get a noticeable boost in image quality. That's something I guess.

Though I don't think it excuses anything. Sacrificing frames by boosting the image quality completely defeats the purpose of a 60fps mode... They should have keep it at 1080 and make the framerate rock solid. Really disappointing.

ViolentP

Added bells and whistles create a higher resource requirement so the parallel to the PS4 version may not make as much sense as it may appear on the surface. But get ready for performance tweaking, folks.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
a few minor dips in performance here and there is worth the bump in IQ IMO
After playing around 5+ hours of it last night, I confirm this 100%. The IQ is sooo much worth the few dips here and there. Overall I thought it was rock solid and wouldn't have noticed much if it wasn't for this video.

nOoblet16

Why say that TLoU struggled to hold 60FPS on standard PS4?
I also see a lot of people say that, but isn't it like few instances of drops that quickly recover or moments where the camera is close up with characters in gameplay, while the majority of the game was 60?

def sim

Ah that's too bad. I installed this thinking the 60fps mode would have better performance. I'll wait a while for a patch, otherwise I'll settle for 30.

EmiPrime

Is anyone seriously going to downgrade from 1800p to 1080p just because some scenes have a 2-4fps dips where before there wasn't? If those dips were from 30fps I could understand but from 60fps it's not that noticeable.

Then again the dips in 60fps mode on TLOU on standard PS4 hardware didn't bother me either. Certainly not enough to downgrade to the sluggish 30fps mode.

psychotron

yeah, because its rendering internally at 1800p or whatever...thats a shit ton more pixels than 1080p

Yeah sorry, I meant that setting Pro to 1080p doesn't actually work, because the game still renders at 1800p, so it's impossible to get the same experience. Even if people say they can live with the dips, I still want a way to get the identical PS4 base experience.

EmiPrime

Ah that's too bad. I installed this thinking the 60fps mode would have better performance. I'll wait a while for a patch, otherwise I'll settle for 30.

I very much doubt you will do that. You will try out the 30fps mode, see how sluggish it feels and swiftly go back to the options to turn 60fps back on.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Is anyone seriously going to downgrade from 1800p to 1080p just because some scenes have a 2-4fps dips where before there wasn't? If those dips were from 30fps I could understand but from 60fps it's not that noticeable.

Then again the dips in 60fps mode on TLOU on standard PS4 hardware didn't bother me either. Certainly not enough to downgrade to the sluggish 30fps mode.
Right? lol
I'll gladly take the muuuch better IQ over 2-4fps. Now if were were talking 10fps+ dips, then it would be a different story.

ron_bato

I think it's worth noting as well that the native 4k mode holds the 30 fps frame rate solidly. So the native 4k mode manages to keep performance consistent.

Top Bottom