• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro: TLOU Remastered performs worse than base PS4....even at 1080P

Peltz

I didn't expect that. I'm willing to bet this will be patched though. ND is pretty good at polishing things up and they may have been rushed on this update.

(Or is this blupoint?)

I'm not sure why some people are so quick to extrapolate that this will be a problem on Pro going forward.

This is one game that has slight dips. Will other games in the future sometimes have it? Yea, I wouldn't be surprised especially with third party devs as testing all situations is a bit crazy.

But most other Pro games look better and run the same or if not better.

Hitman. Ratchet. UC4. BF1. And so on.

Same thing will happen next year, any old games will get picked apart and the smallest dip will be a news story.

It's the risk you run when you introduce a mid cycle upgrade, you invite that extra scrutiny, whether these stories really reach the mainstream is another question.

Lots of folk out there think the Ps4 Pro and the Xbone S are the same thing......

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wish they'd have an option either in games or the OS settings to just pretend to be a basic PS4. That'd also be a quieter option if that was important to you, as the APU would be generating a lot less heat from only half the GPU working

It's about the principle. So according to you, any game that targeted 30fps on OG PS4 and in practise reached an average of ~27, imagine with the Pro it'll go down to lower 20s, and you'd be okay with that? Because the visuals are somewhat enhanced? Why stop there, render at 8K and then 15fps, who gives a shit right?

Stop pissing vinegar. In THIS case it's not so dramatic.
Do you even have a PS4 or a Pro?

psychotron

I wish they'd have an option either in games or the OS settings to just pretend to be a basic PS4. That'd also be a quieter option if that was important to you, as the APU would be generating a lot less heat from only half the GPU working

This. People keep saying it's 2-3 fps max, but it's not...it drops 6 frames multiple times during the video, which isn't nothing. Some people would like the tradeoff of resolution vs framerate, but others, especially with a 1080p set might prefer a more stable framerate, so at least give me the option on a system of level of pretending my Pro is a base system.

Jack cw

It's about the principle. So according to you, any game that targeted 30fps on OG PS4 and in practise reached an average of ~27, imagine with the Pro it'll go down to lower 20s, and you'd be okay with that? Because the visuals are somewhat enhanced? Why stop there, render at 8K and then 15fps, who gives a shit right?
That is not what he said nor do fps work like that. Dips from 60 to mid 50 might result in a bit of judder while the same dips from 30 to mid 20 are actual slowdowns. In this case you have a 2.7 resolution bumb and huge IQ boost with nearly same performance. If you talk about principle, than ND executed very well.

NewDust

This thread makes me wonder how people even dealt with all the regular non locked games on this generation and the previous.

But looking at it from the otherway. If you are offering an option of "eyecandy" or "performance", perhaps they should havr chosen settings to accommodate a 60fps lock.

phansen

Neo Member
Added bells and whistles create a higher resource requirement so the parallel to the PS4 version may not make as much sense as it may appear on the surface. But get ready for performance tweaking, folks.

There are no extra bells and whistles, it's only higher resolution. They specifically mention that.

Kathian

Banned
It's not the same game. It's not the same content.

No but seriously this is comparing one resolution to another. It's different hardware. All it shows I'd the Pro is not some mystical device and milage is gonna vary title to title.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ok stupid question time - on a console, what happens when the framerate drops below 60fps? The TV is still going to be in 1080p/60 mode, so does the console simply repeat the last frame until it has another one ready? Does it interrupt the old frame as soon as the new one is ready?

Trying to understand if 58fps is actually 58fps, or is represented by constant fluctuations between 60-30-60 or something.

Afro

I genuinely hope they release a re-remaster on the PS5 so I can finally play through this w/o immersion-breaking frame drops/stutter @ 60fps.

NewDust

ok stupid question time - on a console, what happens when the framerate drops below 60fps? The TV is still going to be in 1080p/60 mode, so does the console simply repeat the last frame until it has another one ready? Does it interrupt the old frame as soon as the new one is ready?

Trying to understand if 58fps is actually 58fps, or is represented by constant fluctuations between 60-30-60 or something.

Exactly that happens and is the reason why varying controller response is an issue.

Marmelade

Is this for real? I thought it was worse. This is a nonissue IMO.

People should watch the video

2016-11-1116_17_40-thj7usi.png

slightly, 1-2 fps difference at most + 1080p vs 1800p

Well it gets a little worse than that bit still not absolutely horrible.

I expected things to be a little rocky the first couple months anyway as devs feel out the Pro's limits. Hopefully they patch it pretty quick, maybe just knock down the resolution a tad. It's already well above 1080 so they got wiggle room.

People should watch the video

2016-11-1116_17_40-thj7usi.png

I would be stunned if they didn't fix this with a patch. I don't think it's that big of a deal in the long run, but it does suck for early adopters.

mattp

Again. A 1-2 fps drop here and there that is barely perceptible, against an absolutely transformative boost in IQ 100% of the time..

This is a none issue.

yup
the same exact thing happened in another thread about this topic. for skyrim remaster

could you not just set the pro to output at 1080p in the settings???

yes, but the game is internally rendering at 1800p and then outputting 1080

It's even worse in Left Behind. I'm in indoor sections seeing what looks to be drops into the 40s. There is also a weird lighting pass with the flashlight that makes the image quality seem sub-720p at times.

The_Lump

Banned
Well, well, well. Anyone going to apologise to Bethesda after yesterday's finger pointing?

:p

could you not just set the pro to output at 1080p in the settings???

Sure it can output at 1080p. But it's still rendering at the higher resolution so that won't make a jot of difference to performance

The_Lump

Banned
This is normal.

Going from 1080p to 1800p is a bigger jump than the power jump from a PS4 to a Pro.

Quite. But it goes directly against Sony's development requirements for Pro, and clearly against what quite a few Pro buyers where expecting.

Oneself

From what I played, it definitely runs worse and in a distracting manner... Drops can occur in a totally empty room. ND will probably fix it ASAP.

Quite. But it goes directly against Sony's development requirements for Pro.

People are taking those requirements far too literally and I think it will cause issues for those posters moving forward.

I'm fairly certain for Sony, it's by in large a game should run the same or better. But you can't exactly be certain that a resolution is going to hold 60 FPS for example, in every sort of situation. So because it drops in some doesn't mean it invalidates the development requirements.

It would be the case if TLOU ran at sub 60 FPS for a substantial amount of time (which is easier to track) then specific dips.

CyberChulo

Wow! Such a big stink over minimal frame drops. I'll tell you what. I played this on my Pro at 60fps setting with HDR and it is glorious! You guys can continue to whine and cry while I enjoy some of the best gaming technology this year!

The_Lump

Banned
People are taking those requirements far too literally and I think it will cause issues for those posters moving forward.

I'm fairly certain for Sony, it's by in large a game should run the same or better. But you can't exactly be certain that a resolution is going to hold 60 FPS for example, in every sort of situation. So because it drops in some doesn't mean it invalidates the development requirements.

It would be the case if TLOU ran at sub 60 FPS for a substantial amount of time (which is easier to track) then specific dips.

Yeah probably. Just explaining why there are questions being asked.

if someone could play each game by itself normally with no graphical or computer analysis and point out to me where the framerate drops to mid 56-58s instead of 60, I'll give you 100, nay, 1000 doll hairs.

this kind of nitpicking is absurd

Afro

Wow! Such a big stink over minimal frame drops. I'll tell you what. I played this on my Pro at 60fps setting with HDR and it is glorious! You guys can continue to whine and cry while I enjoy some of the best gaming technology this year!

That's very nice that you aren't sensitive to stutter or drops to 50fps, but some people are.

CyberChulo

That's very nice that you aren't sensitive to stutter or drops to 50fps, but some people are.

That's what I'm trying to understand. What happens to sensitive people when they see dropped frames. Is it hurting their eyes? Making them regret their purchase? Or go into a rage where they destroy their controllers and smash their consoles against the wall?

Afro

That's what I'm trying to understand. What happens to sensitive people when they see dropped frames. Is it hurting their eyes? Making them regret their purchase? Or go into a rage where they destroy their controllers and smash their consoles against the wall?

It's simply immersion breaking. Each judder/stutter takes you out of the world. Would you watch a movie with frame skips and 10 frame drops all over the place? Wouldn't be very enjoyable.

I'm sorry but some are being a bit ridiculous with this. The real comparison to the OG PS4 would be TLOU running native 1080 on the Pro an OG with an unlocked FPS. You would see a substantial gain in performance on the Pro compared to the OG.

Comparing 1080p to 1800p fps dips is crazy. If the game ran 1800p on the OG PS4 it would be nowhere near the frame rate you see on the pro.

thelastword

Banned
It should be noted that on the Pro the 60fps runs at 1800p, so you get a noticeable boost in image quality. That's something I guess.

Though I don't think it excuses anything. Sacrificing frames by boosting the image quality completely defeats the purpose of a 60fps mode... They should have keep it at 1080 and make the framerate rock solid. Really disappointing.
1080p is not needed for a rock solid 60fps on the Pro in TLOUR.......I'm pretty sure some optimization can fix this, ND's UC4 patch was pretty quick and barebones, so the same applies here, I think they were strapped for time and pushed this out. I'm sure it will be patched later.

Tom said the Pro can't handle this resolution at 60fps, but when it's patched, I'm pretty sure he won't correct himself in typical DF fashion.

Unbalanced hardware is unbalanced. The CPU is an anchor.
Are you serious? What is this...

Why say that TLoU struggled to hold 60FPS on standard PS4?
I also see a lot of people say that, but isn't it like few instances of drops that quickly recover or moments where the camera is close up with characters in gameplay, while the majority of the game was 60?
I've said this so many times, I ve even watched their TLOUR frame video and for DF to continue the narrative that TLOUR had framerate problems is really disingenuous. There was some momentary dips in the bloater fight, but the rest of the game was silk at least 99% of the time. You look at their Gears faceoff and that falls to 50fps and the language is so different.....All you hear is that Gears is "such a beautiful game"

I could. I downsample on the reg on PC guys, I know what I prefer. Besides, like I said, I'd only settle for 30 if there isn't a patch to improve performance at 60. DF suggests maybe 1440p would be more suitable for the hardware.
There's no way this game should be at 1440p. I believe this can be patched at 1800p silky....if not, 1620P would be more than enough for such a mode.

It is an issue. When you play at perfect 60fps any framerate fluctuations become very apparent and annoying. That's why Tom made a big deal out of this and said he prefers 30fps mode which runs at solid FPS instead of almost 60FPS mode.

It's disappointing on multiple fronts: runs worse than original PS4, PS4 Pro is perfectly capable of running this game at solid 60FPS if slightly lower resolution was used, there is no way to get original PS4 performance on Pro.
Sometimes I get the feeling that Tom and all these guys have been playing some unflinching 60fps games on their consoles all this time. Yet the same guys who make excuses for Witcher 3's abysmal framerate and Ryse Son of Rome's framerate which falls to the teens........Hell, forget about that, COD was always in the 40's last gen, but it was the smoothest judder 3 game they ever played for years ongoing. All of a sudden a few frames dipped from 60fps is really disappointing to Tom here. I guess these reactions are selective...

Having said that, I will say that I do believe the game should be patched and improved, there's no way the high framerate mode should be performing worse.....but don't go drawing conclusions that the Pro can't handle this, because when it's patched you won't say you were wrong, just like the guys who blame the Jaguar CPU for everything wrong with the world.....

I'm pretty sure ND is working on UC4 DLC, Retooling UC4 on the PRO for a better patch, TLOU2 and getting the UC Collection Pro ready.....It's a no brainer that there will be some optimizations and improvements coming.....It's not the end of the world and it's not like they won't address this.

Man, those poor Jaguars can't catch a break. Even in an obviously GPU-limited scenario people still blame them.
Aye!

Edit: Another thing Tom keeps mentioning is that there is no improvement to the visuals at 1800p, just a rez boost. I don't think that's the case. Look at all that shimmering on the fences in the PS4 version of TLOUR, it's completely gone on the 1800p version and that's not on account of a rez boost alone...

Top Bottom