• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro: TLOU Remastered performs worse than base PS4....even at 1080P

Charamiwa

Banned
Right? lol
I'll gladly take the muuuch better IQ over 2-4fps. Now if were were talking 10fps+ dips, then it would be a different story.

But then why not go all the way and choose the 4k30 mode? A performance mode should prioritize performance. Or at least let you choose. This mode as it stands is just a weird hybrid that gives you worst performance than the base PS4. Not that big a deal but kind of goes against the whole "PS4 pro game will never run worse".

def sim

I very much doubt you will do that. You will try out the 30fps mode, see how sluggish it feels and swiftly go back to the options to turn 60fps back on.

I'm perfectly fine with 30Hz/4K downsampled as long as the frametimes are consistent.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Again. A 1-2 fps drop here and there that is barely perceptible, against an absolutely transformative boost in IQ 100% of the time..

This is a none issue.

Is anyone seriously going to downgrade from 1800p to 1080p just because some scenes have a 2-4fps dips where before there wasn't? If those dips were from 30fps I could understand but from 60fps it's not that noticeable.

Then again the dips in 60fps mode on TLOU on standard PS4 hardware didn't bother me either. Certainly not enough to downgrade to the sluggish 30fps mode.

And also this.

King_Moc

Banned
Haven't really noticed anything in the unlocked mode, so meh.

I'm perfectly fine with 30Hz/4K downsampled as long as the frametimes are consistent.

I couldn't tell a difference in IQ between the two modes, so I can't imagine why anyone would go with 30fps. And I'm playing from about 3 feet away.

Vinc

The real question is- Is it worth it? Even on a 1080p screen? If the drops are quite minor, the supersampling may be worth it.

Still, it would be much better if Sony offered a "force base PS4" mode.

EmiPrime

But then why not go all the way and choose the 4k30 mode? A performance mode should prioritize performance. Or at least let you choose. This mode as it stands is just a weird hybrid that gives you worst performance than the base PS4. Not that big a deal but kind of goes against the whole "PS4 pro game will never run worse".

It's not a weird hybrid. 1800p is a huge step up from 1080p and 60fps with a few dips to the mid 50s in intense scenarios is way better than a locked 30fps.

TLOU plays a million times better at 60fps. It's impossible for me to go back to 30fps.

Charamiwa

Banned
A bit strange to see the different reaction to the same kind of news. Yesterday we had the Skyrim thread that showed that the game ran slightly worse than on the base PS4 and it was filled with Bethesda bashing and Todd Howard memes. Today in here it's apparently no big deal.

According to DF the difference can be up to 5-6fps and dips in the exact same way than the base PS4. I don't know, for a performance mode on superior hardware it feels significant enough.

Grimsen

Again. A 1-2 fps drop here and there that is barely perceptible, against an absolutely transformative boost in IQ 100% of the time..

This is a none issue.

From the video, the FPS drops to more than that in busy environments, 4 and 5 fps below the base model.

Devs need to get used to the PRO, and improve PS4 games without compromising the orginial performance.

If its a small dip like 1-5fps, similar to Skyrim, then I can imagine Sony might let that go, like a small margin of error, as long as the game isn't constantly dropping way below the original PS4 performance and it is pushing a hell of a lot higher resolution.

Only played it at 4k/30fps myself at the moment but that seemed fine to me, the better shadows, with no jaggies are worth the trade off for me, might try the 60fps mode later to see how it feels.

EmiPrime

A bit strange to see the different reaction to the same kind of news. Yesterday we had the Skyrim thread that showed that the game ran slightly worse than on the base PS4 and it was filled with Bethesda bashing and Todd Howard memes. Today in here it's apparently no big deal.

According to DF the difference can be up to 5-6fps and dips in the exact same way than the base PS4. I don't know, for a performance mode on superior hardware it feels significant enough.

I thought the Skyrim thing was a more than a bit overblown but dropping a few frames from 30fps is far more noticeable than dropping a few frames from 60fps.

icespide

Banned

Skyrim is no big deal either IMO but people generally have a shittier opinion of Bethesda than Naughty Dog

This isnt even an issue at all. It's only a few frames off for a huge upgrade in IQ. Nobody would even notice this at all. Only software can show us this negligible difference.

-griffy-

Banned

This is a none issue.

It is an issue insofar as it drops performance where the base PS4 game doesn't. It's not a catastrophic, unplayable drop in performance, but I'd say it's not ideal. I would expect the game to perform better on the premium system. Considering this isn't the only game that performs worse than base PS4 versions it's a problem I'm not happy about. Other games do perform better and look better, so hopefully this isn't a recurring and ongoing thing.

def sim

I couldn't tell a difference in IQ between the two modes, so I can't imagine why anyone would go with 30fps. And I'm playing from about 3 feet away.

I could. I downsample on the reg on PC guys, I know what I prefer. Besides, like I said, I'd only settle for 30 if there isn't a patch to improve performance at 60. DF suggests maybe 1440p would be more suitable for the hardware.

chippy13

Wow. Came into this thinking that it was a major drop in frames, but we're talking 2-4fps max in a few scenes while rendering at 1800p and 60fps. Some people sure know how to blow things out of proportion.

This thread is so misleading. Sure maybe it "performs" better in terms of framrate on OG PS4. But it LOOKS a million times better in 4K/HDR.

Afro

So fuck a smooth 60fps experience if you can have millions and billions of pretty pixels.

So disheartening.

Maddanth

I hope so, but the thought that I paid to "upgrade", and games could potentially end up running better on the base system unless properly patched....craziness.
Ya that is crazy. I haven't taken mine out of the box yet but having them run worse on the pro than on the OG ps4 is insane. Hopefully this all gets ironed out over the months to come when developers have more time to implement the pro or can implement front the start. Didn't think this would happen, I can c not constantly hitting 60fps but this. Thought Sony said something about games could not run worse then OG ps4? Hopefully this all gets sorted out very soon.

Marmelade

From the video, the FPS drops to more than that in busy environments, 4 and 5 fps below the base model.

Devs need to get used to the PRO, and improve PS4 games without compromising the orginial performance.

Yeah it can drop lower than just 1-2 fps
2016-11-1115_55_30-thewogo.png

That's to be expected with such a huge jump in resolution and I'd take the pro version over the base one, which wasn't a locked 60 either, anyday.

Regginator

Inexcusable. There isn't a reason whatsoever that it performs WORSE on an beefier, objectively more POWERFUL version of the PS4. Like, what's even the point of the added visuals from the Pro if it can't even hold at least the same performance on OG PS4?

I expect ND to handle this with a neat future past, because if this is the future of the Pro... oh boy.

This isnt even an issue at all. It's only a few frames off for a huge upgrade in IQ. Nobody would even notice this at all. Only software can show us this negligible difference.

It is an issue. When you play at perfect 60fps any framerate fluctuations become very apparent and annoying. That's why Tom made a big deal out of this and said he prefers 30fps mode which runs at solid FPS instead of almost 60FPS mode.

It's disappointing on multiple fronts: runs worse than original PS4, PS4 Pro is perfectly capable of running this game at solid 60FPS if slightly lower resolution was used, there is no way to get original PS4 performance on Pro.

Gbraga

The drops are not that bad, but it does show that it's not required to always match the original performance, and so it would be useful to be able to force OG PS4 mode on Pro, just in case some game goes horribly wrong and playing on Pro is actually worse. Instead of begging for a patch, people can just turn on OG PS4 mode and play it without having to worry about that.

I could. I downsample on the reg on PC guys, I know what I prefer. Besides, like I said, I'd only settle for 30 if there isn't a patch to improve performance at 60. DF suggests maybe 1440p would be more suitable for the hardware.

I don't think it needs to be that drastic. They could go with 2880x1620 too.

Wereroku

Ahhh why did you decide to remove that. I will answer you anyway the mid gen refresh is not going to backfire on them despite you and others hoping it will. Because ultimately it won't effect people who don't buy one and the people who did buy one will probably be ok with the purchase.

dracula_x

It is an issue. When you play at perfect 60fps any framerate fluctuations become very apparent and annoying. That's why Leadbetter made a big deal out of this and said he prefers 30fps mode which runs at solid FPS instead of almost 60FPS mode.

It's disappointing on multiple fronts: runs worse than original PS4, PS4 Pro is perfectly capable of running this game at solid 60FPS if slightly lower resolution was used, there is no way to get original PS4 performance on Pro.

TLOU on OG PS4 doesn't run at perfect 60fps

Inexcusable. There isn't a reason whatsoever that it performs WORSE on an beefier, objectively more POWERFUL version of the PS4. Like, what's even the point of the added visuals from the Pro if it can't even hold at least the same performance on OG PS4?

I expect ND to handle this with a neat future past, because if this is the future of the Pro... oh boy.

It's a 1 to 2 frames on average difference on a much higher resolution. I think the earth will keep spinning.

It is an issue. When you play at perfect 60fps any framerate fluctuations become very apparent and annoying. That's why Leadbetter made a big deal out of this and said he prefers 30fps mode which runs at solid FPS instead of almost 60FPS mode.

The only thing they should do is allow original settings in all games in addition to any pro enhancements. I can see ND fixing this is people make enough of a fuss

sirap

Wow. Came into this thinking that it was a major drop in frames, but we're talking 2-4fps max in a few scenes while rendering at 1800p and 60fps. Some people sure know how to blow things out of proportion.

This is GAF breh.

Xbox One S gains 3 fps over the original, blowing peoples minds and making them forget that it still runs games worse than a standard PS4.

So PS4 Pro running games at 4-5fps lower automatically makes it dogshit + the end of the world.

Regginator

It's a 1 to 2 frames on average difference on a much higher resolution. I think the earth will keep spinning.

It's about the principle. So according to you, any game that targeted 30fps on OG PS4 and in practise reached an average of ~27, imagine with the Pro it'll go down to lower 20s, and you'd be okay with that? Because the visuals are somewhat enhanced? Why stop there, render at 8K and then 15fps, who gives a shit right?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Man, those poor Jaguars can't catch a break. Even in an obviously GPU-limited scenario people still blame them.

Gbraga

and I'd take the pro version over the base one, which wasn't a locked 60 either, anyday.

But that's exactly his point. He was hoping the pro would iron out the fps issues of the base version, not make them worse. If the 60fps parts (that could very well be running at over 60fps before being locked to 60) can run like that on Pro, imagine when the framerate is already bad on the OG PS4.

I do agree with you, though, I still prefer the 1800p version, easily.

It is an issue. When you play at perfect 60fps any framerate fluctuations become very apparent and annoying. That's why Tom made a big deal out of this and said he prefers 30fps mode which runs at solid FPS instead of almost 60FPS mode.

This. Small FPS drops are an issue, because they usually cause stutters that are very noticeable. Especially when the fluctuations are constant like this.

It seems like it would have been so easy to just render at a slightly lower resolution to get the framerate under control. Why aim for an arbitrary 1800p in 60FPS mode if you can't get 60FPS?

Top Bottom