• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - PS4 Pro gives Battlefield 1 gamers a multiplayer advantage

Coxy100

Banned
Couldn't find this on GAF which I was surprised about, so forgive me if already discussed.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...eld-1-smoother-and-more-responsive-on-ps4-pro

Full article above - summary here:

Battlefield 1 running on PlayStation 4 Pro offers a tangible performance advantage over standard PS4 owners, potentially offering a gameplay advantage to owners of Sony's upgraded console hardware. In our tests, there's anything up to a 47 per cent frame-rate advantage in scenarios where the Frostbite engine is under the greatest stress and It is a strong upgrade for Pro, but does it upset the concept of a level playing field for console multiplayer?

So Pro players get an advantage on multiplayer - how do we feel about this?

Before Pro was launched we had Naughty Dog (not Sony) saying this wouldn't happen:

https://www.videogamer.com/news/multiplayer-games-will-not-run-at-a-faster-frame-rate-on-ps4-pro

You can argue that even on OG PS4 people will always have differences due to input lag, larger TVs etc. But is it right to have such a stark difference between the two now?

heringer

Not really a big problem, imo. It's something PC players always had to deal with. People with more money will always have the upper hand, wether it's because of better internet connection, better controllers or better hardware. The difference is usually not that big anyway.

This logic can be taken from the OG PS4 multiplayer.

Player 1 is facing the other 63 players on the map with explosions and alpha effects filling the screen - 35fps.

Player 2 is facing the edge of the map with no effects and just a skybox -60fps.

They're both shooting each other, which one has the advantage?

The article is clickbait.

Theorry

So people with surround headsets, elite controllers or scuf controllers are fine but this is not?
Come on Eurogamer.

So Pro players get an advantage on multiplayer - how do we feel about this?

I don't have BF1 on console so can't comment about that, but Uncharted 4 multiplayer feels silky smooth now on the Pro, so I feel very happy about this. I'm very optimistic about future of Pro and about upcoming games which will see more Pro enhancements than just higher resolution.

nynt9

It matters considerably less than one's internet connection. We've had this in the PC space for a long time and it's never been a huge issue.

Indeed. Hopefully one day people can realize this and stop arguing against stuff like FoV increases and such. It matters, but most people aren't good enough for it to make that much of a difference for normal play. People need to stop acting like quick play game modes are the esports World Series or something.

HeelPower

The idea that their should be parity to begin with is baffling.

Fuck that mandate by Sony.

How are you gonna control wildly varying internet connections ? Because thats a bigger deciding factor on Multiplayer parity.

Player 1 is facing the other 63 players on the map with explosions and alpha effects filling the screen - 35fps.

Player 2 is facing the edge of the map with no effects and just a skybox -60fps.

MULTIPLAYER ADVANTAGE.

No.

Player 1 is facing the other 63 players on the map with explosions and alpha effects filling the screen - 35fps on the PS4.

Player 2 is facing the other 63 players on the map with explosions and alpha effects filling the screen - 60fps. on the Pro.

Who is more likely to outperform the other?

FeD.nL

I wonder what this could mean for the future.

Like could every developer say it's targeting 60fps in mp while seemingly never hitting the target on the OG PS4 and allow for 60 fps gameplay on the Pro?

This is a bad post. The situation relates to what happens if both consoles see the same thing. If anything the PS4 should have a downgraded toggle to maintain 60lock in MP

Pantz

Don't some pro players play games at lower resolution and 4:3 ratio or something like that? Maybe it's not an advantage.

JGCD

Neo Member
I thought the reason people were saying bloodborne wouldn't get a patch was for this reason ?
so can we get dat patch?

Syril

I was about to make a sarcastic "welcome to PC gaming" remark, but it's not really the same. Playing a multiplayer PC game on a weak computer still lets you set the graphics way down to keep the performance up if you need to.

You could cherry pick any scenario like that though.

The point is, that like-for-like, you'd get better framerates on Pro in the same circumstances as you would on Normal PS4.

hoserx

Don't some pro players play games at lower resolution and 4:3 ratio or something like that? Maybe it's not an advantage.

Yes they do....and they do that to get higher framerates.......which is exactly what Pro owners get over normal ps4 owners.

bombshell

The idea that their should be parity to begin with is baffling.

Fuck that mandate by Sony.

How are you gonna control wildly varying internet connections ? Because thats a bigger deciding factor on Multiplayer parity.

There is no such mandate.

There's a mandate that games must not target different framerates in MP and Battlefield 1 targets 60fps on both standard PS4 and PS4 Pro, but Pro holds on to that target much better.

Trup1aya

Being closer to the server gives an advantage,
Having a better controller gives an advantage,
Having a better tv gives an advantage.

At the end of the day, the online playfield is inherently imperfect. This won't move the needle much.

GHG

RIP level playing field

How can we RIP something that never really existed in the first place?

Everybody has different standards of Internet, everybody has different TV's with differing levels of input lag and response times, some people play wired, others wireless, etc, etc.

If you really want a level playing field the only way to go about it is to host a lan party in a controlled environment.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Being closer to the server gives an advantage,
Having a better controller gives an advantage,
Having a better tv gives an advantage.

At the end of the day, the online playfield is inherently imperfect. This won't move the needle much.
Yeah, this doesn't really change anything.

So what the fuck is it?

I keep reading different stories. First i read Battlefield on the PRo is a bit better, then i read it's a LOT better in resolution and framerate, then i read there is a new patch and everything is fucked up..

What is it?

A better frame rate? That's the big advantage? Really?

What do you mean? Or do you think this is the only improvement?
Biggest advantage ONLINE has to be a better framerate.

5taquitos

Bullshit articles like this that whip up false outrage are going to kill my Pro.

So what the fuck is it?

I keep reading different stories. First i read Battlefield on the PRo is a bit better, then i read it's a LOT better in resolution and framerate, then i read there is a new patch and everything is fucked up..

What is it?

The game performs much better on the Pro. The latest patch slightly reduced performance on one map, and some people claim that the image is softer. Personally, the image seems the same to me.

Regardless, it's still performs and looks better than the OG version.

bombshell

So what the fuck is it?

What is it?

The data Eurogamer have based the linked article on is with the new patch.

UPDATE 16/11/16 10:02am: We've seen reports and discussion of reduced performance on PlayStation 4 Pro since the introduction of patch 1.04 yesterday, leading to speculation that the Pro features are disabled in the new update. Temporal anti-aliasing has been been tweaked, but we can rule out the disabling of Pro enhancements as our data is taken from the game running the 1.04 update. We've also just re-ran a small section of campaign tests and see no obvious impact to performance.

iXOS75mg.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoJjOxhcLY0

So what the fuck is it?

What is it?

It's whatever you want it to be.

That's one of the joys of Neogaf.

Not really a big problem, imo. It's something PC players always had to deal with. People with more money will always have the upper hand, wether it's because of better internet connection, better controllers or better hardware. The difference is usually not that big anyway.

You can optimize settings on PC to prevent a disadvantage for the things that matter like framerate. It seems like you're stuck with the inherent disadvantage on PS4.

Also PC owners bought the machine under the knowledge that it would some day deliver lackluster performance for compatible software. There is no precedent for that in console gaming unless we're accepting that after just 3 years the PS4 is now an obsolete machine, this is a huge deal for the future of console gaming.

Bullshit articles like this that whip up false outrage are going to kill my Pro.

Yes this article, especially headline, is very disappointing coming from Richard Leadbetter. He made several videos complaining about framerate drops in Pro games, now he publishes this article complaining there aren't enough framerate drops in BF1 multiplayer.

BigEmil

It's been discussed before, pre-release of Pro.

PC gamers have been dealing with this 'issue' just fine.
Exactly. Also fps on PC on BF1 is 30fps, 60fps, 120fps don't think Dice put a setting above that.
People over exaggerating with the 10-20fps extra with both targeting 60fps it's nothing.

I'll take the article at face value then also add that the Pro has increased visual effects going on at all times, also an increased lod.

This gives an advantage to og ps4 players,

1. by being able to see players in the distance because the lod hasn't loaded,
2. being able to see someone easier thanks to less alpha effects.

It can be taken both ways.

Ferr986

What DICE should do is iron out the OG PS4 framerate drops in multiplayer, even if it means toning down the graphics a bit.

I agree with Sony mandate about fps equality on OG and Pro btw, but devs should aim for locked framerates on multiplayer modes, even if it means sacrificing graphics. Graphics are for the SP campaign.

If anything, the added clarity of never rendering in sub-1080p is a bigger advantage than the frame rate improvement in a game like Battlefield. Since I've been playing on the Pro I am able to notice, spot and kill (if I have a weapon w/ range) far away enemies way easier. And in Battlefield, the person who fires first usually wins.

Saberus

One of the features of the Pro as Sony stated is smoother frame rates, so if the original PS4 target FR is 60fps.. then the Pro is doing the same thing..its just better at it.

No conspiracy theories or hidden agendas here.

King_Moc

Banned
So does my graphics card on pc.

I used to play Blops II on the Wii U gamepad at 480p and more than held my own.

People need to ask why the standard PS4 version has a poor framerate, not why the Pro one is better.

Metfanant

First, let's not TRY to make this worse by saying crap like "Naughty Dog said this wouldn't happen!"

We knew that everyone was talking about targeted framerates..and it's literally impossible for a game that uses the new hardware to mimic the OG framerate

BigDug13

This isn't a Pro problem. EA should be scaling their graphics back on PS4 so that it achieves their 60fps target. If that is your target, fucking get there.

Top Bottom