• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - PS4 Pro gives Battlefield 1 gamers a multiplayer advantage

Kayant

It is a strong upgrade for Pro, but does it upset the concept of a level playing field for console multiplayer? It will be interesting to see how the Battlefield community responds, and Eurogamer has approached EA for comment.
HAHAHA Richard has truly lost it here sorry. Really reaching out for a statement. Come on now...

bosseye

It is a strong upgrade for Pro, but does it upset the concept of a level playing field for console multiplayer? It will be interesting to see how the Battlefield community responds, and Eurogamer has approached EA for comment.

Pffft do wat m8. Its only ever been a notional level playing field on console in the sense that you're all using the same box. The myriad of internet connections out there ensure there will never be parity though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I remember when playing at a -lower- resolution in Counter Strike was a competitive advantage.

kiguel182

"We have had this on PC" is a poor excuse since consoles being the same across multiplayer is a selling point of these machines. Just because PCs work this way doesn't mean this is good.

thelastword

Banned
Silly article, Leadbetter is upset when the PRO performs worse than OG PS4. Yet, this article says that PRO offering better framerates puts OG PS4 owners at a disadvantage???....Such a divide in thought patterns across the Eurogamer board.....

So what's the point of upgrading then, it's a mid gen refresh that keeps the OG PS4 in the same loop, of course Pro users would get better framerates, it's better hardware, it's the reason anyone bought the darn thing in the first place. News at 6..., they got better visuals too, better loadtimes, snappier menus, better fidelity in games, better resolution, these can all be considered advantages and was always anticipated from the get-go.

The only thing Sony could do, they did. Don't offer a 30fps mp game on PS4 and a 60fps mp version on Pro, the target must be the same. The onus is on developers to lower the settings on PS4 enough to maintain the 60fps as close as possible, even in that scenario, people would still complain that the PRO's framerate in only on par with the PS4. However you spin it, Eurogamer's stance here is silly.....

What are they asking for? That the Pro gimp framerate to match the PS4 in every scenario? This is hilarious...

Rellik

"We have had this on PC" is a poor excuse since consoles being the same across multiplayer is a selling point of these machines. Just because PCs work this way doesn't mean this is good.

Consoles have never had a level playing field. Never. Different Internet connections, different TVs with different input lag, pro/elite controllers and consoles even have mouse and keyboard gamers.

I hope no one truly purchased a console for a level playing field.

nelchaar

Consoles have never had a level playing field. Never. Different Internet connections, different TVs with different input lag, pro/elite controllers and consoles even have mouse and keyboard gamers.

Pretty much this. Also, as on OG PS4 owner,
I don't care. It would be stupid to have an upgraded console make no improvements to games, especially multiplayer ones that can run and look better.

thelastword

Banned
Just read the quotes from the OP. Didn't read the full article yet...Did Leadbetter write this article? This makes it worse. He is upset when the PS4 Pro performs worse, but is now saying that better PRo performance will give PRo owners an advantage? unbelievable.

Guymelef

They better make a patch to fix this shit.
Patch should put both versions locked at 30fps and make the game only playable on 32" 720p TVs with 32.1ms input lag.

I don't know if anyone actually bought a console because of it but it has raised as an argument in favor of consoles many times, along with "I just want to put in the disc and play" and "I like knowing that I'm playing the best possible version available on the platform".

BF1 doesn't support HDR?

That's a statement, but there is a question mark at the end. Curious.

ed9a92f9f5d9bf0c11389f8faf39ccce.jpg

Guymelef

I don't know if anyone actually bought a console because of it but it has raised as an argument in favor of consoles many times, along with "I just want to put in the disc and play" and "I like knowing that I'm playing the best possible version available on the platform".

Well, PS4 Pro users know they are playing "the best possible version" of BF1.

madmackem

There are people playing on internet connections being shared around a house of people over wifi on a tv with input lag that would be way way way worse than a slight frame rate advantage, Richard seems to want to be outraged at everything regards the pro, few frames worse than the og ps4 dismaying, frames higher than the og ps4 is it fair? Come on Richard you're better than this clickbait shite.

I'm curious of the general response for this. In the past, I've seen a lot of people that have used the "level playing field" of console MP as one of the major reasons they avoid PC.

thelastword

Banned
This is the first time we have had a mid gen refresh with better hardware keeping the original hardware in the same multiplayer loop. It was always known that we were heading down that road. It's also not something unbeknownst to gamers in the PC community. I guess things do and can change....afterall.

spwolf

i never heard anyone mentioning "platforms" before, lol.

If they wanted to play best possible version, would most XB1 versions exist?

What about cross-play... lots of articles written about it need for cross play? Yet, almost every game has differences like this between platforms.

Swarna

This is why I will never game on PS4. When I load up my Nintento game and hop on online I always know that everyone is on an even playing field. Also just love putting in my disc and playing, no having to fiddle around with TV colour settings or pro profiles.

vg260

This is why I will never game on PS4. When I load up my Nintento game and hop on online I always know that everyone is on an even playing field. Also just love putting in my disc and playing, no having to fiddle around with TV colour settings or pro profiles.

You aren't.

How can we RIP something that never really existed in the first place?

Everybody has different standards of Internet, everybody has different TV's with differing levels of input lag and response times, some people play wired, others wireless, etc, etc.

If you really want a level playing field the only way to go about it is to host a lan party in a controlled environment.

Yup, this article just perpetuates the silly level playing field on console myth. There have always been widely varying conditions.

This logic can be taken from the OG PS4 multiplayer.

Player 1 is facing the other 63 players on the map with explosions and alpha effects filling the screen - 35fps.

Player 2 is facing the edge of the map with no effects and just a skybox -60fps.

They're both shooting each other, which one has the advantage?

The article is clickbait.

How is Player 2 shooting at Player 1 while facing the edge of the map?

Ted

When did "because X is not perfect we shouldn't care about Y" become a valid argument for anything?

Of course console gaming isn't and never has been a perfectly level playing field but this situation where the same game performs significantly differently for players on the same platform playing directly against one another is completely new for console platforms and even just by virtue of that, is worth discussing.

Guymelef

Lol.

legacyzero

Banned
iAd say a bigger complaint should be resolution. If it's a higher resolution, it means I can identify you down range faster than you can see me on, what, 900p?

This is the first time we have had a mid gen refresh with better hardware keeping the original hardware in the same multiplayer loop. It was always known that we were heading down that road. It's also not something unbeknownst to gamers in the PC community. I guess things do and can change....afterall.

I don't think anything really changed. Multiplayer gaming on all platforms has a ton of factors in play that negate any notion of an even playing field. There never was an even playing field to begin with.

Silly article, Leadbetter is upset when the PRO performs worse than OG PS4. Yet, this article says that PRO offering better framerates puts OG PS4 owners at a disadvantage???....Such a divide in thought patterns across the Eurogamer board.....

Single player games: Developer slides state that games must exceed framerate targets

Multiplayer games: Sony have gone on record saying PS4 Pro won't give players advantages in competitive multiplayer

The two things aren't the same, and carry different expectations with them. PS4 Pro not meeting either in some cases is something worth criticising, not brushing under the rug

cakely

Too many people are being dense about the "same frame rate" quote from Naughty Dog.

It means" both console versions will have the same target frame rate (30fps or 60fps)" not "both consoles console versions will drop the same frames attempting to meet the target frame rate". If you give this the tiniest amount of thought, you'd realize that the latter scenario wouldn't even be possible.

This article is not helping that perception, but honestly it's probably going to sell some PS4 Pros.

Not really a big problem, imo. It's something PC players always had to deal with. People with more money will always have the upper hand, wether it's because of better internet connection, better controllers or better hardware. The difference is usually not that big anyway.
The issue is the playing field. Consoles were known for this in MP, outside of the small percentage of aftermarket peripheral users.

I know lots of people who opt for MP on consoles for just this reason. Anecdotal, but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

thelastword

Banned
i never heard anyone mentioning "platforms" before, lol.

If they wanted to play best possible version, would most XB1 versions exist?

What about cross-play... lots of articles written about it need for cross play? Yet, almost every game has differences like this between platforms.
Good point, I remember when people were deriding Sony because MS made a pro statement on crossplay, lots of people came out of the woodwork saying that Sony is anti-progression....But could you imagine PS4 players against Xb1 players and all the differences there would be with networks, hardware, OS's, input methods/ lag etc..but somehow this is a big issue only now...Sometimes I wonder if these articles are being written just for baiting as opposed to having a reasonable and informative article posted.....

It's funny still, because as a tech site, when the XB1 version of BF1 performed a bit better in MP and SP, I didn't see leadbetter questioning it and writing an article about it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Not really a big problem, imo. It's something PC players always had to deal with. People with more money will always have the upper hand, wether it's because of better internet connection, better controllers or better hardware. The difference is usually not that big anyway.

But watch ppl scream n moan about not fair.

This has been a thing on PCs since forever. Don't like it? Get a PS4pro then.

I play CSGO with a friend playing at 30FPS while I play at 144fps. 35 vs 60 FPS is such a non factor in terms of performance disparity, especially if it's a drop vs sustained.

Kyoufu

I don't see why frame rate should be held back because of lower end users. This NEVER happens on PC. Why? Because it's not an issue.

The only advantage that has ever been an actual issue is internet connection, or to be more specific, host advantages on P2P games.

BigEmil

Even with that notion and this minor fps variable difference between ps4 and ps4 pro, it's nowhere near as bad as the advantages PC players can have over others.

So yes, console online gaming is still by far much more fair than PC.

I know these because I also game on both PC and console.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I reckon it has less effect than implied if you consider average frame rates. I've had large kdr increases in the past due to upgraded gfx cards but it's mostly baseline performance that matters. I could go from ultra quality to medium to increase my kdr when the performance is already ok but it's not going to be that significant. You can even adapt to being one with poor performance by pre aim and using ambush tactics more rather than roaming and reacting.

People are laughing at you, but this is why I'm excited about switch. It looks like a return to proper console simplicity. I already put up with all of this crap on pc, there is no way I'm buying a professional PlayStation, new tv, new controller, etc to keep up with other console players.

etta

my hard graphic balls

I think the advantage is amplified here due to the nature of it being a FPS game. Aiming around when the framerate has such a big variance will make it much harder to aim accurately as the input lag is dynamic.

ShutterMunster

This is a non issue, especially when compared to the numerous other things, specifically network performance which can really hamper player performance. The 16 or so millisecond frame speed difference between the two is too narrow to make any tangible difference in player responsiveness.

Frostbite 3 isn't iDTech3, enhance frame rates aren't going to make you capable of doing things other players can't. Having an Elite controller would probably give you a stronger advantage than a 60v30 FPS difference, lol.

Swarna

The PC comparison isn't really the same. You can always lower your settings on PC for more performance. You're stuck with what you get on regular PS4.

Hanmik

I think the advantage is amplified here due to the nature of it being a FPS game. Aiming around when the framerate has such a big variance will make it much harder to aim accurately as the input lag is dynamic.

but are people playing CS:GO or battlefield 1 on PC not having the same problem then? some people play with 30 fps. other play with much higher.. and I have not seen someone complain about that.?

Guymelef

People are laughing at you, but this is why I'm excited about switch. It looks like a return to proper console simplicity. I already put up with all of this crap on pc, there is no way I'm buying a professional PlayStation, new tv, new controller, etc to keep up with other console players.

Right because playing a 64 player fps on a 6" screen via WiFi against players with docked console on a big screen via lan wouldn't be a problem, right?

J-Skee

This just made me think about something. Xbox Play Anywhere games are Xbox/PC cross-compatible. Could someone with an extremely high end PC have an advantage over those in something like Gears of War?

Actually, this could go for any game that's console/PC compatible. I don't know why I singled out the Xbox.

ShutterMunster

This just made me think about something. Xbox Play Anywhere games are Xbox/PC cross-compatible. Could someone with an extremely high end PC have an advantage over those in something like Gears of War?

Actually, this could go for any game that's console/PC compatible. I don't know why I singled out the Xbox.

No, because there is no PC v Xbox One competitive MP in Gears 4.

Shai-Tan

Banned

it's not like you're following the reticule all the way across the screen. it's mostly in your sense of the speed which the reticule moves when you hold the analog or swipe the mouse.

Top Bottom