• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - PS4 Pro gives Battlefield 1 gamers a multiplayer advantage

I think he was quite clear he was referring to end result and not a target which may or may not be reached. "We're not benefiting the PS4 Pro users and skewing the community"

Once again

We're not benefiting the PS4 Pro users

This was either intentionally misleading to ease concerns with the Pro or this is something Sony needs to step in and fix.

Many of us said this would happen from the beginning. You can't force the hardware to underperform unless it was forced to run in base PS4 mode and no one would buy a Pro if Sony pulled some shit like that. Games like Battlefield are one of my main reasons for buying a Pro.

black070

Many of us said this would happen from the beginning. You can't force the hardware to underperformed unless made it running in base Pro and no one would buy a Pro if Sony pulled some shit like that. Games lik Battlefield are one of my main reasons for buy a Pro.

It was insane how many people have disputed me saying just that since it's reveal - why on earth would they induce the same framerate drops on more powerful hardware ? It's not evening the playing field, it's just gimping the Pro version.

BigDug13

I think he was quite clear he was referring to end result and not a target which may or may not be reached. "We're not benefiting the PS4 Pro users and skewing the community"

Once again

This was either intentionally misleading to ease concerns with the Pro or this is something Sony needs to step in and fix.

How is Sony supposed to fix this? This is EA/Dice not reaching their framerate target in multiplayer on PS4.

xrnzaaas

The only way to have even chances is to play using split-screen... or maybe even then it's not fair, because one of the players may be dealing with a worse viewing angle than the other one. ;p

Nameless

All things being equal a Slim owner would also have a considerable advantage over an OGPS4 owner due to the 5ghz Wi-Fi. Better hardware gives you better results. News at 11 yada yada.

Ubisoft dev said they can do more fps, if they want. That was for "For Honor". But they decided against it.

I don't know if that was a misstranslation, but it didn't sound like it.

DBT85

When they said "it wont run at a faster framerate" I took from that that they wont target 30 on PS4 and 60 on Pro.

Both target 60, one is better at handling it.

The only fix in this instance is to make the base PS4 game look worse in order to hit the target more often, because you sure as shit wouldn't try and force the Pro to run just as badly as the PS4.

I've no idea how a developer is supposed to make sure that a game never runs at a worse framerate, and never runs at better framerate unless both are a solid lock, it will always be one or the other in any "targeted framerate" game.

If it were a Sony game then I'd expect the usual conspiracy shit that they want you to upgrade. Since this is EA and they get squat for a Pro sale, its just bad from Dice to not hit their target on PS4. How does the PS4 framerate compare to the Xbone framerate?

This logic can be taken from the OG PS4 multiplayer.

Player 1 is facing the other 63 players on the map with explosions and alpha effects filling the screen - 35fps.

Player 2 is facing the edge of the map with no effects and just a skybox -60fps.

They're both shooting each other, which one has the advantage?

The article is clickbait.

Damn, that's a good response.

When they said "it wont run at a faster framerate" I took from that that they wont target 30 on PS4 and 60 on Pro.

Both target 60, one is better at handling it.

The only fix in this instance is to make the base PS4 game look worse in order to hit the target more often.

The obvious fix is to cap both at a framerate both can reliably hit.

Clickbait, PC had this for years. And that's not even considering TVs, elite controllers, better internet connection.

Fuck. That.

If you're so worried about other players having a competitive advantage over you, maybe stick to board games.

He better avoid chess then.

Slaythe

Every PS4 has HDR capabilities now, though

If you can buy a thousand dollars 4K HDR tv you might as well get a pro....

Many users keep their 1080p and get a pro, but the realm of people having a normal ps4 and good HDR 4K tv is like 2% ( out of my ass stat ).

If you are not playing in a tournament then who cares. You play games to have fun. If you are trying to play battlefield and be a "pro" then you probably already bought a ps4pro anyway, or your are playing on a pc.

Who cares if one person is 30fps and the other is 60 if at the end of the day, you are just playing a random match and no prize money is involved.

kingkenny76

This logic can be taken from the OG PS4 multiplayer.

Player 1 is facing the other 63 players on the map with explosions and alpha effects filling the screen - 35fps.

Player 2 is facing the edge of the map with no effects and just a skybox -60fps.

They're both shooting each other, which one has the advantage?

The article is clickbait.

House-Sad-Head-Nod.gif

Of the highest level

BigEmil

Except pc owners can go into a games file and downgrade everything they need for a steady framerate
Oh yes 100% of all people playing Battlefield 1 on PC can all achieve stable 240fps and higher FOV right? Same as the people with highest end PC therefore it's not worse than this situation, sure.

My cousins PC can hardly even reach 30 at low settings and fov but he's playing BF1 no issues despite the much huger disadvantage on PC

First, clickbait.

Second, PC has it since forever.

Third, surround, headsets, scuf

Possible solution: give console players those damn settings so we can choose what to prioritise. People seem to be enjoying the couple of options Pro is giving.

~Cross~

Things PC gamers have had to deal with through the decades:

Variance in latency

Variance in FPS

Variance in FoV

Variance in mouse tracking

Variance in monitor response

Variance on the legitimacy of the players apparent skill

zelas

This sounds more like "Dice gives handicaps PS4 players." This would be a non issue had Dice locked the frame rate to begin with. The pro doesnt give anything.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Where exactly does the PS4 Pro need to sit before a negative spin can't be applicable? It runs worse than the PS4 (that's unacceptable), it runs the same as the PS4 (what's the point of the Pro?) or it runs better than the PS4 (this is an unfair advantage).

The internet is disappearing up its own ass.

Kayant

Don't need to read this piece to know it's a pointless and unneeded discussion at least to make another article out of when there any so many variables that affect MP and things like network connection can neglect this advantage.

As it's been pointed MP is inherently an unfair playing field.

Toni

Not to mention the Pro has a much better Wi-fi connection/Internet connection that offers pretty much lag free matches.

NXGamer

Ubisoft dev said they can do more fps, if they want. That was for "For Honor". But they decided against it.

I don't know if that was a misstranslation, but it didn't sound like it.
Inherently no-one or company can or should feel the need to manage this. Software And hardware is dynamic by its very nature.

Controller response times can and are uncoupled from render times, these do not need to go hand in hand (not all mind). With online Multiplayer the actual connection, netcode, server has and will have a much bigger impact on this than a maximum 10_15 fps division at certain points.

TV, controller, how much sleep you have had, the chair...when does this crazy communistic view end!??! PC, racing, boxing, work nothing is ever truly flat.

Dunkley

While player skill is obviously the key factor in how well you're going to perform in Battlefield 1, high-end players will get more out of the game running from Pro hardware - it's simply smoother and more responsive as a result. Our stress tests are based on 64-player servers - but it stands to reason that the improvements will extend throughout the game. More typically, we would expect the Pro version to stay at the target 60fps more consistently than the base PS4 version. It is a strong upgrade for Pro, but does it upset the concept of a level playing field for console multiplayer? It will be interesting to see how the Battlefield community responds, and Eurogamer has approached EA for comment.

While there is some truth behind FPS being a factor, the common skill gap between all players in one session and their connection speeds push FPS advantages far, far back on the things that upset the level playing field for console multiplayer.

If even playing ground and competitive online gameplay between highly skilled players precisely was a huge matter for EA more time would have went into making sure the game sticks closer to the target, personally however I think the game does get away with it simply because it isn't a hyper fast paced experience where miliseconds of reaction speed determine the winner since there's just about every other possible factor influencing the outcome before that.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Oh yes 100% of all people playing Battlefield 1 on PC can all achieve stable 240fps and higher FOV right? Same as the people with highest end PC therefore it's not worse than this situation, sure.

My cousins PC can hardly even reach 30 at low settings and fov but he's playing BF1 no issues despite the much huger disadvantage on PC
I never said 240fps, I just said a more stable framerate. You can edit a game's ini file or in titanfall 2 case edit the videoconfig.txt to achieve a more stable frame rate by lowing everything.

This stuff does my nut in, no one is playing competitive conquest where someones extra smooth framerate matters or makes any sort of real difference.

How many variables do you want to take into consideration? you could go on forever.

This is nit picking at best and just another negative PS4 Pro article among many others. This console can't win, it does something well you get articles like this, it drops 3 frames and it's the worst product ever made.

I'm playing BF1 on a 960M on my laptop and it's fine, probably have it running worse than PS4 and Pro.

Top Bottom