• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - PS4 Pro gives Battlefield 1 gamers a multiplayer advantage

5taquitos

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the "decembre" patch for FFXV exactly that?
The policy only applies to competitive multiplayer. Single player can have different target framerates, but they can't offer completely new modes or gameplay features.

Hanmik

Battlefield 1 does not support HDR on the PS4 Pro yet.

Not sure why it's missed the last two patches, hopefully it'll be ready for the end of the year.

As nice and shiny as it looks, it isn't HDR. A good way of demonstrating this is by jumping into the console video settings while the game is running. There you'll see it's running in RGB and not YUV420 which is a good indication.

he was just asking multiplayer games in general.. I know BF1 does not support it. But thanks for the info anyway.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I think that's a good thing that this is happening. Tired of penny pinchers holding games back (remember cross gen games from 2 years ago?) I want games to max out the highest spec on Pc and console whenever possible.

5taquitos

Someone with an SSD will load the map faster than me, letting them grab a tank. Better make everyone's load times exactly the same!

I am so far beyond fine with what the title states that there's not even a word for it yet.

*plinkett* Oooooh no, PS4 Pro sometimes gives users a negligible advantage in a game every now and then! OOOOOH NO

where were you when you got sniped repeatedly by that guy because his 30-ping-having, big screen viewing, zero-latency suffering, better-controller-using ass had an 'unfair advantage'? were you complaining about it on the internet? no, you've probably not even given it a second thought...

This is why I will never game on PS4. When I load up my Nintento game and hop on online I always know that everyone is on an even playing field. Also just love putting in my disc and playing, no having to fiddle around with TV colour settings or pro profiles.
golden post

everything is now click bait. Actually, of course everything is clickbait. Can we please stop pointing it out? what website doesn't want you clicking on their articles lol. that term needs to die.

Regardless, this is interesting in that it does relate to some of the conversations about what this means in the console space and it being a level playing field as apposed to the PC. People can be snarky about it all they like but some of us enjoy discussing it, it's not like you need to take it personally.

5taquitos

Regardless, this is interesting in that it does relate to some of the conversations about what this means in the console space and it being a level playing field as apposed to the PC. People can be snarky about it all they like but some of us enjoy discussing it, it's not like you need to take it personally.

The point is online multiplayer has never been a level playing field on any platform. There are factors far more impactful than a framerate difference.

No it doesn't. I'm sure I've played against pro players on my og and I'm still topping the score board in the top 3 every game and I'm not saying I'm a pro player either.

People with ridiculous k/d are either tank whoring or playing sniper and are not contributing anything.

Cyborg

No it doesn't. I'm sure I've played against pro players on my og and I'm still topping the score board in the top 3 every game and I'm not saying I'm a pro player either.

People with ridiculous k/d are either tank whoring or playing sniper and are not contributing anything.

I agree! Im a Pro played and are sometimes beate bu OG PS4. This is just insane article

Venom Fox

Banned
People who are blindly moaning about the Pro mode benefits should just think about getting a Pro. You're content to play at 40FPS but God forbid if someone with an upgraded machine has a slightly higher framerate... what about when your Internet lags? Do you start screaming that everyone has an advantage over you? No. What about when you're stood at flag A getting bombarded by mortars and grenades. Your FPS tanks to 30 but the person trying to DMR/Snipe you is getting 45-50FPS because he isn't in the explosion zone? Do you moan then that the other player has an advantage? No. You moan because your machine cannot handle the stuff being rendered on screen.

Just saying, the choice is there and you already knew what you were getting in terms of performance (BF4 & BF1 beta). Moaning about it is moaning for the sake of moaning.

mike6467

So...what does "targeting xFPS" mean? What's to stop devs from always targeting 60FPS and just saying "Well, the pro is steady at 45 and the OG has dips into the single digits, but we targeted 60, and look at those bullshots!"

Just curious, I've seen that a lot, and I'm wondering how much the statement actually means.

5taquitos

So...what does "targeting xFPS" mean? What's to stop devs from always targeting 60FPS and just saying "Well, the pro is steady at 45 and the OG has dips into the single digits, but we targeted 60, and look at those bullshots!"

Just curious, I've seen that a lot, and I'm wondering how much the statement actually means.

Technically there's nothing stopping from a dev from doing that, but they'd get shit on by everyone so it won't happen.

"Target" just means what it's locked at. A "target" of 30 means that the framerate will be capped at 30 (see Driveclub). A target of 60 means that the framerate will be capped at 60 or uncapped since most TVs don't do more than 60Hz

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Happening on PC I feel isn't a suitable argument since this isn't PC gaming and it has always been a fixed platform.

However, TV lag, pro-controllers and internet connection are also big factors in MP advantage so yeah can't have playing level field really.

Sony can't have their cake and eat it. They can't sell a new powerful console at a higher cost to gamers but also gimp it at every opportunity and always ensure there's a level playing field.

Maztorre

Happening on PC I feel isn't a suitable argument since this isn't PC gaming and it has always been a fixed platform.

Guess what? These aren't fixed platforms anymore.

By the logic of some posters here anyone who was playing on a a smaller or larger display, owned surround headphones, or had a lower-latency display should have been shuffled off to another server for failing to meet an imagined "standard" that everyone was supposedly following.

If you are actually playing games at a competitive level then:

a) you are probably playing on a PC anyway, which actually offers a legitimate competitive/esports scene for FPS titles
b) playing at a competitive level has always required the purchase of additional, often expensive, equipment that offers tangible advantages over the typical user's experience
c) other factors such as display lag, surround headsets and premium wired controllers offer a more constant, substantive difference in quality compared to situational framerate drops

As a Pro owner it's bad enough that the system is sitting in an underclocked state for many titles that would otherwise benefit from its extra horsepower - gimping multiplayer performance for the sake of parity (remember when PS4 owners cried about parity all the time?) renders yet another advantage of the system completely redundant.

I was honestly playing a little worse for the first couple days I had my Pro, getting used to that steady framerate.

Now I'm playing just as good as I was before the Pro upgrade.

Its ironic how people want to ride the "PC is like this" bandwagon now when performance advantages were one of the proclaimed negatives of PC Gaming.

RockmanBN

Shit! One of my bad TV's has an input lag of ~50ms.

Better have every one else with the same input lag or that would be unfair.

Guess what? These aren't fixed platforms anymore.

By the logic of some posters here anyone who was playing on a a smaller or larger display, owned surround headphones, or had a lower-latency display should have been shuffled off to another server for failing to meet an imagined "standard" that everyone was supposedly following.

If you are actually playing games at a competitive level then:

a) you are probably playing on a PC anyway, which actually offers a legitimate competitive/esports scene for FPS titles
b) playing at a competitive level has always required the purchase of additional, often expensive, equipment that offers tangible advantages over the typical user's experience
c) other factors such as display lag, surround headsets and premium wired controllers offer a more constant, substantive difference in quality compared to situational framerate drops

As a Pro owner it's bad enough that the system is sitting in an underclocked state for many titles that would otherwise benefit from its extra horsepower - gimping multiplayer performance for the sake of parity (remember when PS4 owners cried about parity all the time?) renders yet another advantage of the system completely redundant.

Which is why we're having this conversation

I mean, the system is called the PlayStation 4 Pro for a reason son! It's the Professional PlayStation... for Professionals.

(in case you haven't picked up on it the sarcasm in my post is thick)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
SlipperyFishes said:
The situation relates to what happens if both consoles see the same thing.
Which virtually never happens in MP games. As long as there's variable framerate, this will happen throughout gameplay, and as others have pointed out, it's at least an order of magnitude less impactful than the internet connections - which are also uneven.

a difference from 50fps to 60fps is not enough of an advantage to worry about. if you're a skilled player, you'll still beat people who are playing at a slightly higher framerate than you.

I dont think this is an issue. People playing on a crappy tv will also have disadvantages for example.

yeah, people playing with their TV settings all whacked out and with increased input lag put themselves at a disadvantage.

thelastword

Banned
Lol so true. Correct me if I'm wrong but has DF done a single comparison between Pro and xbone? Like a faceoff with all three consoles.

They're too busy comparing pro with TITAN X systems with 16-32 GB of RAM and a 6700k Skylake CPU.....Like the person who was buying that PC mistakenly got a pro....DF will surely show these Pro users how wide the gulf is, how better BF1 particles, shadows, draw distance and textures are on this PC...

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Amazing thread.

Are there ppl really upset about this? I mean really?

This is such a non issue is not even funny.

Atedos

I don't get it.
How does any of "happens on PC" or "connection/tv/controller disadvantages" arguments justify adding another variable to consistency in console gaming?

The less are differences in initial conditions, the better. If we already have several, why adding another one?

"Happens on PC" argument is even more ridiculous if you compare it to some real world situations. It's like if crime level in city X is high, you don't bother lowering it in city Y. Is that your point?

93xfan

Banned
No different than the Xbox one s gives over the regular Xbox one in a game such as project cars.

This is 100% a non issue.

BigEmil

So much for the "console level playign field" argument that always crops up on PC comparison threads.
Yep it still is though by a lot. Wow PS4 Pro users get a few extra fps extra over base PS4 how cute, muh playing field!
While on PC the disadvantage is much much greater like I said before people with up to 240fps and all the other fps numbers many different PC gamers can think of to their monitor hz rate, adjust FOV really high and everything else. Saying consoles is as unfair anywhere near PC makes me laugh

notacat

Using a joystick for fps is more of an issue than FPS.

i see the difference, it could theoretically give an advantage if the player was good enough. I'm not good enough to get any advantage. Just enjoy smoother gameplay, which i really like.

Top Bottom