• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

could Metroid work as a cover shooter?

FloatOn

I think the majority of fans are thirsty for another 2d entry but sadly I think to expect that from a AAA game at this point is a bit unrealistic.

So with that in mind, IF Nintendo decides to give us another mainline Metroid game, I think something in the vein of the Tomb Raider reboot might be the best bet. My personal preference would be for less shootbang and more exploration/platforming but I can see the format working.

We have already seen what Metroid looks like in first person so if it must be in 3d give it to me in 3rd person.

This is also probably the only genre that Nintendo hasn't attempted yet so I would be curious to see how they do it.

As a 3D 3rd person game? Sure. As a cover based shooter? No.
Metroid should be more about moving around than taking turns returning fire. An increase in platforming would be nice too since, while more than passable, first person isn't too ideal for it.

SpokkX

No

Just. No

Other M had a good idea though. The framework for other m gameplay could work with a different developer if they axe the story-parts

trebbble

huGoqfS.png

kunonabi

A 3rd person over-the-shoulder game is what I want them to do but making it a cover shooter would be completely wrong for it.

FloatOn

That's not what I want from a Metroid game.

We all want super metroid 2... it's not happening.

With consideration to AAA gaming trends how could Metroid be successful? What genre would it fit into at this point?

A 3rd person over-the-shoulder game is what I want them to do but making it a cover shooter would be completely wrong for it.

Yeah perhaps this was the wrong phrase for it. I was thinking resident evil 4 with platforming

BiggNife

I like Metroid and I like cover shooters but combat has never ever been the focus of a Metroid game and the backlash would be immense

Nintendo already has what is basically a cover shooter in the form of Splatoon anyway so it's really not necessary.

I mean, you could throw a coat of Metroid paint onto any cover-based shooter and it would "Work" as in, it would be functional. We've hammered out the mechanics of "point and shoot" down to a science at this point.

But it would run completely counter to the established appeal of the series, which is unlocking increasing parts of the game world with powerups that grand unique mechanics. The shooting and combat aren't really that big of a deal in those games, 2D or 3D. It's just another piece of that puzzle.

Firehead

Stop giving Nintendo bad ideas for Metroid.

"Could Metroid work as a pinball game?"

"Could Metroid work as a fully voiced, story driven game?"

"Could Metroid work as a squad based shooter?"

"Could Metroid blast ball?"

These are questions Nintendo felt the need to answer.

KarmaCow

I don't see how making it a cover shooter would help the series. Not only does it not gel with the series, shooters based around cover systems are not really in vogue anymore.

Broritos

I think the logical direction the Metroid series should take is dating sim.

I'm open to spin off Metroid games.

Federation Force was a game focusing on the combat side of Metroid, it did a good job but I think it should exist on its own.

There's no real reason to focus on combat in a mainline Metroid title, it's never been what the series is about.

TheMoon

The problem with your question is that I immediately see Gears of War with a Samus skin and that just makes me queasy. The cover-shooter part is the problem.

There probably is a way for this to work as some kind of hybrid between Super Metroid structure x Other M's action/camera/mechanics x Vanquish's slow-down/shooting/sliding(Morph Ball?) but that's one hell of a tight rope.

No to the idea of cover shooter. I would personally want a 2d metroid but metroid in the line of prime or other m would be fine. Other m needs more work on the gameplay side but there's a strong framework to work off.

DrArchon

What would a Metroid cover-based shooter give to the world that another cover based shooter couldn't? We aren't lacking for those games, and devs have pretty much mastered the art of making games about sliding in and out of cover while popping up to kill guys that are also popping up out of cover.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
that thread title actually made me angry

i feel like GAF is teaching me new things about myself all the time

Yeah, I can definitely see Samus's toolset working in a more action-oriented game (whether it be a first-person shooter, a 3D action game, or a third-person shooter). It probably wouldn't be what people generally come to Metroid for, but you could definitely make a cool game in one of those genres set in the Metroid universe.

Servbot24

Banned
I mean sure, you can slap a Metroid skin on Tomb Raider. What's the fucking point of that though. Metroid could also be a kart racer. Or an RTS. Or a MOBA.

Or Metroid could be Metroid.

Irnbru

Metroid would work as the new Doom format I think. Just with bit more back tracking, but the same pace in fights.

Yarbskoo

Oh god why would you even ask that.

I mean, maybe if there's some kinda Zero Suit stealth section.

But if I have the power suit I don't want to be hiding behind fucking walls.

Leizt

Neo Member
Well, this is one of those questions where you have the short and the long answer :

The short being: Nope.

The long being: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope.

Top Bottom