• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

could Metroid work as a cover shooter?

That'd be the coolest metroid game ever.
Considering Prime sounded blasphemous at first, I could see it working.

ReCore style gameplay

Maybe metroid being more about combat and less about exploring is what it needs to sell more.
mYA5eqE.jpg

Just for that, I hope Snake never comes to Smash Bros ever again and that MGS6 is a Pachinko game.

ScribbleD

Sure. Trying out new things is never a bad idea so long as those new things are executed well. Also, anyone criticizing this idea while hoping for a new 3D Metroid Prime instead of a 2D Metroid is laughable. You don't get to act like a genre purist and then say, "but that one time Metroid completely shifted genre and gameplay style, that was fine, but it can never do that again."

In this thread, Nintendo fans don't know what they want. People hated the idea of Metroid becoming an FPS prior to the Prime series, and look how those games turned out.

nkarafo

Let Metroid do what it does best, and really take ownership of that. Metroid already figured it out. Figured it out twice actually. I don't get the fascination with throwing that away.
It seems to me that many people identify games by their lore and not their game design.

For instance: Metroid = That game about Samus destroying the Metroids, trying to fight mother brain and the pirates, etc. So basically they don't care about the game design, genre, gameplay, etc. Just give them Samus, Space pirates and Mother Brain and do different games with those.

But i disagree with this notion. Since we are talking about games, the first priority should be game design. Games must be identified by their design first, not the lore.

For instance: Metroid = That game where you are isolated and you have to explore and backtrack in order to open up new areas by using the new suit upgrades you find, trying to find your way by going deeper in the planet, etc. That should be the way people treat game titles. Because it's about games.

Case in point:
Yes, it could. It may not be what fans want, but a good cover shooter will always be a good cover shooter regardless of the IP attached to it.

Was everything in other m bad? Or just the story?
Pretty much everything. Except maybe some technical stuff.

Metroid was never that much about shooting though, except maybe Metroid Prime 3.
Every single Metroid game has tons of combat. It's always been about shooting, but it's like I said in my edit: It's the dynamic between shooting and exploration that makes Metroid so exciting. You can't just remove the shooting and expect anywhere near the same level of excitement.

GametimeUK

Yes, it could. It may not be what fans want, but a good cover shooter will always be a good cover shooter regardless of the IP attached to it.

nkarafo

A good football game will always be a good football game regardless having basketball as the title on the cover.

But it will still be a shitty basketball game for the people who feel like playing a basketball game.

cyba89

You don't get to act like a genre purist and then say, "but that one time Metroid completely shifted genre and gameplay style, that was fine, but it can never do that again."

Metroid Prime didn't completely shift genre. That's what makes it such a great 2D-to-3D transistion.
Do you consider Mario 64 or Zelda OoT complete genre shifts from the 2D games?

nkarafo

Sure. Trying out new things is never a bad idea so long as those new things are executed well. Also, anyone criticizing this idea while hoping for a new 3D Metroid Prime instead of a 2D Metroid is laughable. You don't get to act like a genre purist and then say, "but that one time Metroid completely shifted genre and gameplay style, that was fine, but it can never do that again."
People got upset with Prime at first because they though it will be treated like a regular FPS game. In the end, it was just like Super Metroid in first person perspective. It was still the same game design, the only thing that changed was the perspective (which allowed new upgrade ideas like the visors btw). It's still the same "genre" whatever genre Metroid falls into.

MoonFrog

Umm...could it? Don't really think so. Platforming and movement abilities should be available during Metroid's battles and rooms should be designed around them and environmental puzzles first before action set pieces.

Sure, have some shooting rooms, but don't make every room a shooting room or not have enemies as cover based would encourage (otherwise why get into cover when you can just jump around?)

Also, how do you even do the vast majority of Metroid's enemies in a cover shooter set up? What do geemers and shriekbats do?

nkarafo

Man M sounds like it was truly terrible lol I almost bought it a few times happy I sat that one out
Well, to be fair it was a decent action game with a terrible, cliched, anime trope story.

But it didn't play like a Metroid game at all.

KDR_11k

No, not even remotely. It would make retraversal a massive pain in the ass as cover shooting means stopping and hiding when enemies are present and stopping is the last thing you want to do when you're just passing through.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
No. Please no. Please... just no. NOOOOOO!!

Seriously, all we need is a game similar to any of the Prime games. Keep it FPS, I would love more exploration though. A pseudo open world would be nice, but with similar shooting mechanics. A wider FOV would be totally boss for Metroid Prime.

I think the majority of fans are thirsty for another 2d entry but sadly I think to expect that from a AAA game at this point is a bit unrealistic.

Umm, the studio that made three out of the four AAA Metroid games has done nothing but make low-budget 2D platformers since.

GametimeUK

A good football game will always be a good football game regardless having basketball as the title on the cover.

But it will still be a shitty basketball game for the people who feel like playing a basketball game.

Just like Metroid Prime is a shitty game for the people that feel like playing 2D games? /s

Your analogy is way off, by the way.

Was everything in other m bad? Or just the story?

There's nothing wrong with the very basic framework of Other M, at least nothing that makes it inherently worse than Metroid Prime as a basis for a 3D Metroid. The problem is that they added a baklava's worth of layers of shit to it.

Gaogaogao

no, we already solved this problem with metroid prime, just make another one and have freelook like other shooters instead of lock on or motion controls.

nkarafo

Just like Metroid Prime is a shitty game for the people that feel like playing 2D games? /s.
People didn't identify Metroid for being a 2D game. 2D was just the norm for all games back in the day. The 3D, first person Metroid is still Metroid by design. But i do understand some people didn't enjoy the change in perspective and controls (that was the big difference basically). But because some people didn't like this change it didn't mean it's not a Metroid game.

And i don't think my analogy is off. You are asking about a Metroid game without caring how it plays as long as it's good regardless the title. But for most people the title alone actually represents how a game plays. So yeah, a Metroid cover shooter can still be a good cover shooter. But it will be a shitty Metroid game for the people who read the title and expect a Metroid game.

KDR_11k

I'm one of those people who defines Metroid by its structure and not its setting. I don't care about Samus Aran or the Space Pirates or Federation, I want to be exploring a place (and not following a tour).

Not really the cover-based part, but maybe something in Vanquish's style.

I don't see how that differs, ultimately it's still a stick-to-cover-or-die game, more so than most modern military shooters.

Boney

Banned
Yes it would. Make it Vanquish esque and it would work perfectly. There's no reason for it not having upgrades and maze crawling

People saying now are tight asses because reasons

Speely

Banned
Metroid: Cover M

I don't like the idea of a Metroid cover shooter, but I would try it out with an open mind if it happened.

Menitta

Fusion was alright but I felt like it missed the ball, and it had its 14th birthday just two days ago.

I understand. I personally want a game that's after Fusion. Like, even Other M isn't after Fusion. Of all the 2D/Sakamoto games, we've had a remake, one before Fusion,
and another remake.

Zolo

The biggest issue with cover in this case is that with Samus's power suit and arm cannon, she's ultimately intended to be more of a mech that charges forward than having to hide behind cover.

KarmaCow

Yes it would. Make it Vanquish esque and it would work perfectly. There's no reason for it not having upgrades and maze crawling

People saying now are tight asses because reasons

The difference is that in Vanquish the enemies are shooting at you. In Metroid, most enemies are either passive or use melee attacks/charging right at you. Consider how the fuck fighting a Metroid would work in a cover based shooter.

So it's either make the game more shooter focused to justify a cover system or don't and make the cover system superfluous. It's a solution seeking a problem.

The next Metroid game should just follow linear paths until you reach open area where you can cover and shoot some enemies and then lead into another hallway until you reach another open area. Also, if you press R3 you can turn on Sense Mode which then highlight hidden Missile Expansions and Energy Tanks for you.

Top Bottom