• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

could Metroid work as a cover shooter?

Cuburt

Metroid would work as the new Doom format I think. Just with bit more back tracking, but the same pace in fights.

I like this, as least as far as the combat feel is concerned.

Metroid is much more suited to "run and gun" style gameplay than "stop and pop", despite how much people expect the latter due to Prime's mechanics.

In that sense, I like the ideas that Other M attempted and improving on some of those ideas rather than going the "cover shooter" route.

Exploring in Metroid should be deliberate and slower, but combat and traversal should be quick and dynamic, especially as you get further along in the game. Doom feels more like a better point of inspiration, especially since it looks back in it's mechanics and still cares about stuff like health powerups, while also looking forward for fresh and invigorating gameplay..

Anything can work. It depends on how you handle it.

People had similar reactions to this when they heard Metroid Prime would be first person.

Like having a more mobile Samus in 3D could definitely be great... it's unquestionable that mobility was one of the biggest losses the series suffered moving the 3D... as long as they don't kill the exploration elements id be for it...

Like imagine Vanquish like mobility in a 3D Metroid. Would be fantastic.

I think the majority of fans are thirsty for another 2d entry but sadly I think to expect that from a AAA game at this point is a bit unrealistic.

So with that in mind, IF Nintendo decides to give us another mainline Metroid game, I think something in the vein of the Tomb Raider reboot might be the best bet. My personal preference would be for less shootbang and more exploration/platforming but I can see the format working.

We have already seen what Metroid looks like in first person so if it must be in 3d give it to me in 3rd person.

This is also probably the only genre that Nintendo hasn't attempted yet so I would be curious to see how they do it.

Is that you... Reggie?

woopWOOP

The image of Samus with her back against a short brick wall, ducking and bending her arm backwards over the wall to shoot some Space Pirates just cracks me up

Anyway, Metroid FPS worked out, guess this might too. I don't really care.

This reminds me another thread where OP asked whether there should be a mobile Mario runner.

Everyone said wtf no.

A few days later Super Mario Run was announced.

Marvel

could never
Hell yeah, but I don't agree with less shootbang more exploring though.

More like gears/vanquish and I'm sold.

eXistor

I think that's a terrible idea and you should think about what you've said. We all make mistakes, it's okay. Now never let this crazy idea cross your mind ever again.

gelf

It may work for fans of cover shooters but it certainly wouldn't be something I'd play. I despise the genre at this point and don't want to spend the majority of any game shooting from behind chest high walls ever again. Even if they still left the exploration as good as it ever was I still wouldn't play it.

Horohoro

FIRST OFF YAS!
Second off no not really.
Fluidity is something that works well in the 2d games. And I REALLY wanna see it translate too to 3d.
I think though...
If you remove the cover from cover based shooter... you may have one he'll of a game....
Tbh

IDEALLY FOR ME SENARIO

I want to see a metroid in the vein of Metal Arms Glitch in the system. Type of scheming... I think it could translate to metroid really really well.

StayDead

huGoqfS.png

This made me laugh way more than it should have given the context.

To answer the OP. No. Please not another damn cover shooter.

nkarafo

The next Metroid game should just follow linear paths until you reach open area where you can cover and shoot some enemies and then lead into another hallway until you reach another open area. Also, if you press R3 you can turn on Sense Mode which then highlight hidden Missile Expansions and Energy Tanks for you.
Be careful, Nintendo will take you seriously.

eot

Banned
Screw the haters, I think it could work. Just because it's a shooter that doesn't mean it has to be combat all the time like GoW or some shit. Cover shooting would just be the combat system in a game that has more things going on. It's not like that "first person shooting" with a Wiimote was any good and people still love those games.

rjc571

Banned
The next Metroid game should just follow linear paths until you reach open area where you can cover and shoot some enemies and then lead into another hallway until you reach another open area. Also, if you press R3 you can turn on Sense Mode which then highlight hidden Missile Expansions and Energy Tanks for you.

It should also be 6 hours long, with 4.5 of those hours being cutscenes and QTEs. I propose the following title: "The Metroid: 1886"

nkarafo

Even as a secondary gameplay addition, cover and shoot doesn't make sense for Metroid. The power suit itself should be the only cover Samus needs. That's why you upgrade it with tougher shields and energy tanks. So it can last longer. Plus, many enemies and creatures attack you with their own body (contact damage). Covering behind a wall isn't really a compatible way to avoid such methods of attacking.

GametimeUK

People didn't identify Metroid for being a 2D game. 2D was just the norm for all games back in the day. The 3D, first person Metroid is still Metroid by design. But i do understand some people didn't enjoy the change in perspective and controls (that was the big difference basically). But because some people didn't like this change it didn't mean it's not a Metroid game.

And i don't think my analogy is off. You are asking about a Metroid game without caring how it plays as long as it's good regardless the title. But for most people the title alone actually represents how a game plays. So yeah, a Metroid cover shooter can still be a good cover shooter. But it will be a shitty Metroid game for the people who read the title and expect a Metroid game.

No, your analogy falls apart big time. Falsely advertising sports titles has 0 to do with what genre an actual IP should undertake for its next installment. Metroid Prime 100% was met with backlash initially. I have shown you that Metroid has already once successfully swapped genres once before.

Anyway, Resident Evil 4 is considered by many to be the best Resident Evil game despite it being nothing like the original Resident Evil games. /debate right there. It can happen and that's all there is to it.

nkarafo

No, your analogy falls apart big time. Falsely advertising sports titles has 0 to do with what genre an actual IP should undertake for its next installment. Metroid Prime 100% was met with backlash initially. I have shown you that Metroid has already once successfully swapped genres once before.
But i disagree with that. Both Super Metroid and Metroid Prime belong to the same genre. Just because one is 2D and the other 3D doesn't mean the genre is different. And btw, Metroid was always a very hard title to put into a specific genre anyway. It's just Metroid.

OtherM was the one that actually changed genre if you like. It became simply an action/shooter game.

But i disagree with that. Both Super Metroid and Metroid Prime belong to the same genre. Just because one is 2D and the other 3D doesn't mean the genre is different. And btw, Metroid was always a very hard title to put into a specific genre anyway. It's just Metroid.

OtherM was the one that actually changed genre. It became a simple action/shooter game.

2D and 3D games are approached fundamentally differently on, like, every level. I think unless you decouple game genres from mechanics, there's no way Super Metroid and Metroid Prime could be put in the same genre. Breaking things down to their most basic level - like, in terms of player control - Super Metroid has more in common with, like, Contra III (and Metroid Prime with Quake) than the two games have in common with each other, and that's really the most solid way to draw genre comparisons.

Also, yes, Other M is a different genre than Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, but not for the reason you state. (It's really just a matter of degrees, anyway - Other M still absolutely has classic Metroid secret-finding and exploration, just to a lesser degree and backloaded).

Metroid, at this point, isn't a series tied to a specific genre - it's really more about a general type of progression. Metroid games, primarily, are just about progressing through an open / interconnected world by collecting powerups that upgrade your traversal, and that's something you can do in many genres, including 2D platformers, FPS games, and 3D action games. (Although this is kind of tangential to the point of the thread. I think you could potentially make a great Metroid game out of a third-person shooter that follows the Metroid formula for world design and progression, but you could also just make a great third-person shooter bearing the Metroid license. Both would be equally valid Metroid games.)

No. shooting is one of the least important mechanics in Metroid.
Even in Prime, you simply were locking on and spamming shoot. The depth was more so in exploration, play forming, and when in combat, dodging and using the correct weapon type.

Or not fighting at all. It's often advantageous to run unless you want to farm health/missiles.

Sayers

Right, because stripping a franchise of its identity to chase what's popular in the moment always works out well

GametimeUK

OtherM was the one that actually changed genre if you like. It became simply an action/shooter game.

Pretty sure Metroid Prime is defined as a First Person Action Adventure Game. The same can't be said for Super Metroid. Despite that I have clearly said that Resident Evil 4 changed drastically from the previous games and is considered by many to be the best game in the series. Games can have drastic changes / genre switches and still be considered great installments to the series. It's as simple as that.

nkarafo

I have clearly said that Resident Evil 4 changed drastically from the previous games and is considered by many to be the best game in the series. Games can have drastic changes / genre switches and still be considered great installments to the series. It's as simple as that.
Personally i prefer REmake.

But still, RE4 was great because although it drastically changed much of the game design, it also kept much of what gave RE games their identity. Atmosphere and horror. That's what most people think when they hear Resident Evil. And that's why 5 and 6 aren't considered good RE games. Because they toned down the atmosphere/horror elements for pure action. They can still labeled as good action games but not as good RE games.

So i guess i'm wrong. I shouldn't confuse "genre" with "identity". Still, a cover shooter Metroid would make the game lose much of it's identity because it would have to remove focus from defensive suit upgrades, remove most enemies that cause contact damage and focus more on action and precise aiming.

gogojira

Could God of War work as a point-and-click? I mean, I'm sure there are ways to make it fun but it doesn't make it a GoW game.

Lijik

Even if we buy into the universe where Nintendo isnt pumping out a bunch of 2d platformers, I dont think a cover shooter fits as the AAA nightmare version of Metroid. Itd be one of those scavenging survival games where you get stranded on an alien planet and need to wander around looking for rocks to combine together to make missile packs.

Kuga

It wouldn't be Metroid.

Can Mario work as an FPS? Probably - if done right. That doesn't make it consistent with the Mario franchise and would damage the brand.

I think some people in this thread are missing what made Prime work so well. It wasn't because it was an "FPS," which it is only in the most basic sense that you can shoot things in first person. It's because it did the same thing that Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time did, take a 2D series and translate the same core concepts, designs, and mechanics into a 3D space. It's just as much an adventure/exploration game as Super Metroid.

You can't just make Metroid a shooter game and keep all of the same sensibilities and trappings of what makes Metroid Metroid. Cover shooting especially, has really nothing to do with Metroid at all. It's not about Nintendo fans not knowing what they want because Prime was criticized before launch too. Implying that a cover shooter is at all comparable to Prime betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of the property.

3rd person Metroid could be just fine. Even 3rd person Metroid with some melee combat like Other M would be fine. But it has to remain a Metroid game at heart, which Other M really wasn't, which cover shooting really wouldn't be.

Catvoca

Banned
A metroid game in 3rd person could be rad. Make it like prime but with some influence from more modern 3rd person games like Uncharted.

Maybe not a "cover shooter" though. Adaptive cover like TLOU might be ok.

They should do a 3rd person action Metroid.

But it should take cues from Dark Souls rather than Tomb Raider. Big interconnected world full of secrets and high difficulty.

Hell, get From Soft to make it.

dlauv

I think anything could conceivably work as anything else. Whether it would be preferred is something else.

Metroid Prime was an FPS technically, but as an FPS its FPSing was actually quite poor. It used the FPS medium to realize core Metroid elements in 3D space.

"Cover Shooting" could theoretically do similarly, even though Metroid's combat has always been movement-oriented. Uncharted was "Cover Shooting" on the move, where taking cover was more-so a crutch to beginning players and absolutely essential for harder difficulties. Would that be preferable? Probably not, but I don't see why it would be functionally worse than Prime's FPSing. Obviously combat is divorced from other Metroid elements.

EVOL 100%

Taking cover against metroids would do fuck all, and there aren't enough gunfights to justify cover shooter mechanics. I don't really see how you could merge the core Metroid gameplay without drastically changing what makes Metroid Metroid.

Nia

Metroid doesn't need to be AAA, especially if it means selling it's soul. It's annoying that both Nintendo and some people use it as a dumping ground for terrible ideas. Metroid deserves better.

Top Bottom