• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

could Metroid work as a cover shooter?

RooMHM

Wow. Worst idea. Metroid is already not relevant and popular enough to not be original and innovative. Please don t try!

Haganeren

If that happen i will at least have a Metroid i will really hate... being not part of the people which loathe Other.... But aside from my personal feeling, can Metroid work as a cover shooter ? Hum...

Well, the thing is, Cover Shooter really emphasis enemy which can shoot at you, anything else will most likely be either be totally without any interest or very annoying because it attacks you directly and the gameplay is made to take on far away targets. It means that Metroid should really ONLY be about Space Pirate or Armed Human all those little creatures we are used to see in Metroid Prime won't really work well in that kind of game... The whole "planet's exploration" thing become a little more obsolete.

You can add the fact that cover shooter really need a very very good camera which doesn't impede what's the player is trying to do... (something a FPS doesn't need) Which is why most of the genre is on corridor OR have the LD becoming more linear when there is a lot more enemies compared to the free nature of Metroid Prime Room. I'm sure it can still have exploration somehow just like the lasts Tomb Raider but stll, i don't see the Level Design being more free as a result, it's far harder to make a world that way and the complexity of the world will take a hit.

Maybe with a crafting mechanic which seems to be the jazz those days ? Like you can craft your owns ameliorations and maybe you aren't even in your armor !... But it begin to sound exactly like a new Tomb Raider games... And I dont think that kind of "realistic" feelings really go well with Metroid to be honest... But hey, for a lot of person, it's actually the case so... Why not... But for me, with a third person perspective, the Level Design and the Monster Design will take a big hit in the diversity.

Rambler

I dunno maybe some cover elements could be pretty interesting.

Like being able to maneuver through firefights by using the ice beam to create cover and then using the morph ball to move from spot to spot safely.

Steroyd

We all want super metroid 2... it's not happening.

With consideration to AAA gaming trends how could Metroid be successful? What genre would it fit into at this point?

Yeah perhaps this was the wrong phrase for it. I was thinking resident evil 4 with platforming

It's exactly that mindset that killed nearly every single Japaneese developer last gen, secure the audience that bought your shit in the first place then expand.

Iorv3th

With consideration to AAA gaming trends how could Metroid be successful? What genre would it fit into at this point?

For 2d games why are you obsessed with using AAA gaming here?

If they just make a good 2d metroid game it doesn't have to have a "AAA" budget.

nkarafo

Not all games are destined to be "AAA multi-mullion sellers". Metroid is not different than something like Dark Souls and Bloodnorne. It's base game design has many niche elements that casual gamers or players with low attention spans can't comprehend. If you change those elements you simply end up with something that doesn't really play like Metroid.

This is what mostly happened with OtherM and even that bombed because they made it into a simple action shooter but there were much better action shooters on the market.

Nintendo has enough IPs that are mainstream successes. They have Mario and Zelda. These should be enough to sell multi-millions. And then they have the more niche IPs like Metroid, Pikmin, F-Zero, etc. They don't need to change those in order to make them more mainstream, they don't need that. They should just aim for the correct market and budget accordingly.

Heck, Metroid doesn't even need to be a high budget game in order to be a better Metroid game. And here's why.

-The game is at it's best when you are isolated. That means it doesn't need a bunch of characters to converse with so there is no need for voice acting.

-The game is at it's best when the story is presented through the environments in a more subtle way. So it doesn't need elaborate cutscenes.

-I don't remember any Metroid game having an orchestra for it's soundtrack and they were fine so far (except for OtherM which barely has any music). I believe that strange sounding alien-ish samples work better for this game instead of real instuments. So it doesn't need orchestral music, just one talented guy composing with his computer.

Just with these you are cutting a huge amount of production costs. Metroid doesn't really need anything more than a good designed map, a great art direction and good game mechanics/ideas. Stuff that even indie developers can sometimes deliver. That's all Nintendo has to do really. I mean, how expensive was the first Metroid Prime to produce? And that even had a very advanced graphics engine to move it.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Yep it could work. I mean it worked as a first person shooter, a genre that has more emphasis on shooting than even cover shooters.

It all depends on how the developer handles it.

brainpann

I said this a million times over but I think Nintendo should make a 3rd person open world Metroid where Samus.....hunts bounties. It could be a prequel and be a great way to flesh her backstory out a little. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a story driven Metroid but the series could do with a little more of an update.

Unfortunately, I don't think Nintendo would spare the budget for such a title.

EDIT-
I'll take any new Metroid I can get. :-/

It's exactly that mindset that killed nearly every single Japaneese developer last gen, secure the audience that bought your shit in the first place then expand.

This, seriously. What's with the fixation that Metroid needs to be AAA anyway? Nintendo should gauge the audience size, and if it's niche of small, then coordinate a budget and team to accommodate that.

Does that mean a small 4-6 person team making a more intimate 2D Metroid that is digital only and less than $60? Fine. Fans would be happier with a smaller game with cheaper production values than seeing a brand they love applied to any and everything other than what it is just to attempt to get a new audience.

I think Metroid is more about freedom of movement and exploration. The mechanics of a cover shooter or a stealth game would feel restrictive to me.

Top Bottom