• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Wollan

Patch notes:
SW File(Version 04.31.10) for OLED**B6*-Z said:
Detailed applicable model list : Please check with reference Tab exactly
* SW information

1. Improvement
1) Improve the sound Hum noise
2) Add the HDR Game mode to improve the input lag

2. Applicable model list
OLED55B6V-Z
OLED65B6V-Z
OLED55B6J-Z
OLED65B6J-Z
OLED55B6D-Z
OLED65B6D-Z
70UH700V-ZA
49UH770V-ZA
55UH770V-ZA
60UH770V-ZA
65UH770V-ZA
49UH7707-ZA
55UH7707-ZA
60UH7707-ZA
65UH7707-ZA
49UH7709-ZA
55UH7709-ZA
60UH7709-ZA
65UH7709-ZA

3. Release History
[03.17.06]
1. Tricolor fast scan fails to collect all the channels when single BAT contains 255+ channels

[04.30.04]
1. Audio Guidance expansion and dealing with GARI.
2. 16_CIS_local language application on TV OSD (The official language of Azerbaijan, Azerbaijani).
3. Italy_Mediaset Premium LCN (Requirement from Mediaset and Retailer).
4. Add PID edit and reset functions in the Turkish satellite, TKGS visible list edit menu.
5. Russia Magadan /Sakhalin timezone offset change
6. Fixed DTV no sound in hbbTV channel.

[04.30.08]
1. Change the OTAU SO satellite (Intelsat904 to Kazsat3)

[04.30.65]
1. Improve the Sony PS4 Pro no signal issue (HDCP fail)
2. Improve the Tricolor satellite channel crash. (Russia)

[04.31.10]
1. Improve the sound Hum noise
2. Add the HDR Game mode to improve the input lag

Does this work with the B6D (German model)?

I can see the firmware in the spanish store too. It says this

2. Applicable model list
OLED55B6V-Z
OLED65B6V-Z
OLED55B6J-Z
OLED65B6J-Z
OLED55B6D-Z
OLED65B6D-Z

70UH700V-ZA
49UH770V-ZA
55UH770V-ZA
60UH770V-ZA
65UH770V-ZA
49UH7707-ZA
55UH7707-ZA
60UH7707-ZA
65UH7707-ZA
49UH7709-ZA
55UH7709-ZA
60UH7709-ZA
65UH7709-ZA

Still nothing up in Germany lol

Yeah, German support site is a joke. The firmware from the UK link works just fine though, just installed it myself.

Can't say I see any noticeable difference in brightness between HDR Standard and HDR Game with my standard PS4. The out of the box settings of HDR Game are a bit of a mess though, so some adjusting is necessary.

SnakeNL

Yeah, German support site is a joke. The firmware from the UK link works just fine though, just installed it myself.

Can't say I see any noticeable difference in brightness between HDR Standard and HDR Game with my standard PS4. The out of the box settings of HDR Game are a bit of a mess though, so some adjusting is necessary.

What setting did you change ?
I put the color on W30 and turned off super resolution.

What setting did you change ?
I put the color on W30 and turned off super resolution.

My settings:

Standard PS4:
RGB Full
HDR Automatic

B6:
HDR Game
OLED Light 100
Contrast 100
Brightness 50
Sharpness 20 (that's the default but you might want to lower it)
Color depth 50
Tint 0
Color Temp 0 (although a warmer picture should be more accurate)
Dynamic Contrast Off
Dynamic Color Off
Color Range Normal
Super Resolution Off
Gamma Medium
(MPEG-)Noise Reduction Off
Black Level High
Automatic Brightness Off

For Standard PS4 the combination "RGB Limited"/ "Black Level Low" produces a picture that is too dark. "RGB Full/ Black Level High" gives an accurate picture which requires no ingame brightness adjustments.
I don't know how this behaves for the PS4 Pro.

SnakeNL

My settings:

Standard PS4:
RGB Full
HDR Automatic

B6:
HDR Game
OLED Light 100
Contrast 100
Brightness 50
Sharpness 20 (that's the default but you might want to lower it)
Color depth 50
Tint 0
Color Temp 0 (although a warmer picture should be more accurate)
Dynamic Contrast Off
Dynamic Color Off
Color Range Normal
Super Resolution Off
Gamma Medium
(MPEG-)Noise Reduction Off
Black Level High
Automatic Brightness Off

For Standard PS4 the combination "RGB Limited"/ "Black Level Low" produces a picture that is too dark. "RGB Full/ Black Level High" gives an accurate picture which requires no ingame brightness adjustments.
I don't know how this behaves for the PS4 Pro.

On the Pro it switches to RGB limited so i think the black level should be on low atleast thats the way i have it now

Thanks for the settings!

Ein Bear

Have to say I'm disappointed. Playing around with Mass Effect Andromeda last night, and the HDR Game mode really is too dark. I wound up disabling HDR altogether on the console after a couple of hours and just running it in standard Game mode.

breezer79

Have to say I'm disappointed. Playing around with Mass Effect Andromeda last night, and the HDR Game mode really is too dark. I wound up disabling HDR altogether on the console after a couple of hours and just running it in standard Game mode.

Are you playing on PS4 pro ?
HDR is juste fine on my ONE S + 55C6 .

Are we downloading the top firmware update? Can't seem to get it to update off a USB stick and searching for firmware updates say I'm up to date with 04.30.65...so confused.

Taggen86

I agree, it is too dark. I dont understand why they have locked the gamma setting in HDR game mode. It is okay in games in which you can increase brightness in game. But this is not possible in mass effect. Games need to have both a peak brightness HDR optimization option and a separate gamma option (or at least the latter). Now I do not know how to play the game in HDR as I need to choose between a duche (HDR standard with high input lag) or a turd (HDR game low lag but a dim screen). It sucks....dynamic contrast is not a good solution either because it clips details in bright and dark areas and wash out colors and you get higher lag. I do think HDR game with DC looks better than HDR off game mode though so HDR game mode with DC medium is probably the best choice for mass effect.

Doing some unscientific iPhone slow-mo measurements I could not detect any latency difference between dynamic contrast on or off. With it set to high it looks pretty much like HDR Bright did for me beforehand, which was the mode I always used. A hair darker but nothing you would call "too dim". I guess people who used HDR Vivid before would be bummed out, but I always thought that looked horrible.

It's such a night and day difference to how it was before though. Even for the SDR game mode.

With it set to high it looks pretty much like HDR Bright did for me beforehand, which was the mode I always used. A hair darker but nothing you would call "too dim". I guess people who used HDR Vivid before would be bummed out, but I always thought that looked horrible.

It's such a night and day difference to how it was before though. Even for the SDR game mode.

This is the major adjustment I ended up making to alleviate my HDR Game issues.

I put Dynamic Contrast to High
Black levels to low on TV and PS4 (some black crushing but nothing awful)
OLED Light 95
Contrast 95
Brightness 51
Tint 0
Sharpness 10
Color 50 or 55 (preference)
Normal color range (not extended or wide)
Color temperature on W30 (it's really nice when compared to HDR standard).
All other post processing off.

This brought my HDR game mode back to life for me. If you have a 55B, try it out if things look too dim.

superjona

This update just broke all sound from one my B6 HDMI (HDMI 4) ports. All other ports work fine. Is there a way to revert back to the previous software?

I don't have an actual input lag tester, but I recorded some 240fps slow-mo vids and counted the frames between me hitting the button and the result on screen, both with dynamic contrast set to off and high. It was the exact amount of frames both times. If there is a difference it has to be minuscule.

swimbuff

Jesus is the firmware download from the Asia website slow. Timed out six times and now it's at 10% completion after an hour. Anybody else experience the same thing or managed to fix it?

Edit: And now it's timed out again. It's almost as if they're throttling their servers -- I'll get the normal download speed at the beginning of the download then after a few seconds the speed slows down to like dial-up speeds. Ugh.

It looks like we in Thailand got HDR gaming mode input lag update for B6T. However, my PS4 seems to think it doesn't support HDR :(.

Anyone know how to get it to work.

I did make sure that I'm now on 04.31.10
http://www.lg.com/th/support/support-product/lg-OLED65B6T

Some possibilities:

1. Did you enable HDMI Deep Color in the TV settings for the HDMI port you are using?
2. Do you have a Playstation VR connected? The PSVR box does not support HDR passthrough.
3. Is your HDMI cable premium certified?

SnakeNL

I don't have an actual input lag tester, but I recorded some 240fps slow-mo vids and counted the frames between me hitting the button and the result on screen, both with dynamic contrast set to off and high. It was the exact amount of frames both times. If there is a difference it has to be minuscule.

I also tested it with a S7 edge.
I think its a little bit higher with dynamic contrast.
Tested with FF15.

If there is nog option tot change the brightness in game i will use dynamic contrast otherwise i will user the game brightness.

I hope someone can test with real capture equipment to see if there is additional lag with dynamic contrast.

SumGamer

Some possibilities:

1. Did you enable HDMI Deep Color in the TV settings for the HDMI port you are using?
2. Do you have a Playstation VR connected? The PSVR box does not support HDR passthrough.
3. Is your HDMI cable premium certified?

Didn't realise I have to enable Deep Color. It is now detected Thanks :)

holygeesus

Banned
I also tested it with a S7 edge.
I think its a little bit higher with dynamic contrast.
Tested with FF15.

If there is nog option tot change the brightness in game i will use dynamic contrast otherwise i will user the game brightness.

I hope someone can test with real capture equipment to see if there is additional lag with dynamic contrast.

There will be additional lag introduced with any picture processing enabled. Whether you notice it is another thing. I still think there has to be a setting issue though as HDR Game looks fine on my PS4.

There will be additional lag introduced with any picture processing enabled. Whether you notice it is another thing. I still think there has to be a setting issue though as HDR Game looks fine on my PS4.

I've made the experience that whatever options they do allow you to set with game mode on will not add any noticeable lag. Honestly the same seems to be the case here.

holygeesus

Banned
I've made the experience that whatever options they do allow you to set with game mode on will not add any noticeable lag. Honestly the same seems to be the case here.

You may well be right. Besides, there is no point having a more responsive image you aren't happy with. Better to enable the option and risk any minuscule additional lag anyway I think.

Edit - tried Dynamic Contrast in SDR and I think it looks awful. It's clipping shadow detail. Even on Low.

Lucifon

I agree. The problem is with dynamic contrast disabled the picture is just too dark. You'd actually be better off running non hdr than hdr game with no dc, at least from a picture quality perspective.

Is this the same case with the US models?

Miker

Finally got around to trying HDR game mode and it's bitterly disappointing just how dark it is. I feel like in games in which the HDR effect is subtle or weak you may be better off with SDR, or maybe HDR bright if you can handle the input lag. With that said, the input lag is really not all that terrible, and it's quite playable in 60 FPS games and slower paced 30 fps games. It's the 30 fps action games like Ratcher and Clank that I think it's most noticeable.

Really hoping this year's B7 refresh of the LG OLEDs addresses these reports of the HDR Game Mode being too dim -- it's what I'm planning to go with by years end. All I've actually heard is 25% greater peak brightness (which might help) and improved color range over the B6, though.

Lucifon

Really hoping this year's B7 refresh of the LG OLEDs addresses these reports of the HDR Game Mode being too dim -- it's what I'm planning to go with by years end. All I've actually heard is 25% greater peak brightness (which might help) and improved color range over the B6, though.
It's fairly solvable through tweaking settings. Still a fantastic tv and will no doubt be available for a great price as the year goes on.

Ein Bear

I've finally given up on game mode and started using HDR Bright instead. The image is just way too dark in game mode, and no amount of tweaking with it this last week has given me a picture that I'm happy with.

I've finally given up on game mode and started using HDR Bright instead. The image is just way too dark in game mode, and no amount of tweaking with it this last week has given me a picture that I'm happy with.

Really? I think HDR Game with dynamic contrast set to high is super close to HDR Bright. I've been using HDR Bright before but now I'm using HDR Game plus dynamic contrast set to medium as I feel high messes with the image too much.

The problem is with HDR10 in general giving an output that is too dim most of the time. TVs have to make it work as of now with post-processing etc. I think this is a problem that won't be completely solved until dynamic HDR is used.

It's fairly solvable through tweaking settings. Still a fantastic tv and will no doubt be available for a great price as the year goes on.

The problem is with HDR10 in general giving an output that is too dim most of the time. TVs have to make it work as of now with post-processing etc. I think this is a problem that won't be completely solved until dynamic HDR is used.

Yeah, I've followed the tweaks and some of my favorite people in games journo speak high praise for the B6 all the time, so it will ultimately just depend on pricing when I've saved up enough, I guess.

Do "last-year's-model" TVs tend to disappear at in-store retail levels pretty quickly after newer models appear? I haven't bought a TV in almost a decade, and last time I was much less educated about input lag and such. I'm going in this time with a keen commitment to maximizing gaming performance over all else, so a strong balance of input lag handling and picture quality is what I'm really after... And it just seems like despite some of the input lag issues (i.e., being over the generally-agreed-upon 30ms threshold), the B6's image quality is so good it makes the extra 10-20ms worth it.

I do plan to continue playing fighting games in the near future, but outside of that, I don't think anything else I play is super dependent on the absolute greatest input lag reduction -- and I'll still have my super low latency BenQ monitor to fall back on if I need to.

If the B6 can drop to ~$1600US around this summer when the B7 launches, I think I can afford it pretty much right at price drop, and they now come bundled with soundbars, right?

I mean, I'm budgeting to potentially spend ~$2200US at max for a B6 or B7, but that would be more of a fall timeline than a summer one. (My budget will actually be a bit higher to include a soundbar and stand to put it on as well)

Guess I'll wait and see where reviews fall for the B7 when it finally comes out, and see if it's worth the newness premium over the inevitable B6 price drops.

Do "last-year's-model" TVs tend to disappear at in-store retail levels pretty quickly after newer models appear?
With most LED TVs that seems to be the case but I still see older OLED models for sale. I think the current models will be still for sale at least through out this year. It all depends on how LG manufactures them I guess.

Ein Bear

Really? I think HDR Game with dynamic contrast set to high is super close to HDR Bright. I've been using HDR Bright before but now I'm using HDR Game plus dynamic contrast set to medium as I feel high messes with the image too much.

I definitely agree that it improves things, but it's still not as nice as I'd like, and I take the view that if you're going to accept an input lag hit for image quality, you might as well just go all the way with the image you want. Personally I don't notice a difference in lag between HDR bright and HDR game + dynamic contrast anyway.

holygeesus

Banned
Did you tweak the settings? Standard or Pro PS4?

Default GAME HDR just turned off all processing and put Color Gamut to Normal instead of Wide.

PS4 Pro
Resolution: 2160p RGB (Not Auto)
RGB Range: Limited (Not Auto)

Everything else in video settings set to Auto.

Last of Us looks stunning to me. Plenty of brightness and pop. I'm about to start Horizon Zero Dawn so will report back.

I definitely agree that it improves things, but it's still not as nice as I'd like, and I take the view that if you're going to accept an input lag hit for image quality, you might as well just go all the way with the image you want. Personally I don't notice a difference in lag between HDR bright and HDR game + dynamic contrast anyway.

You're not really taking a hit though. The responsiveness is virtually identical between dynamic contrast on and off.

Using slow motion videos is a terrible way to calculate actual input lag, but can be used to compare between modes, as each setting is recorded the same way. I counted the following (difference between input and the screen changing, same setup every time):
HDR Bright - 30 video frames
HDR Game maximum dynamic contrast - 17 video frames
HDR Game dynamic contrast off - 17 video frames

There is obviously a margin of error, which at 240fps of capture is 4ms (time per frame). So at worst max. dynamic contrast could be 4ms worse than it off (which is 1/4th of a frame at 60fps so not noticeable). But the other modes are still almost double the latency, which is very noticeable.

You can obviously use the mode you prefer. I just want to make clear that, yes, if you used another HDR mode before, HDR Game will seem dim but you can get very close to that brightness by increasing dynamic contrast and still get the decreased input lag.

Default GAME HDR just turned off all processing and put Color Gamut to Normal instead of Wide.

PS4 Pro
Resolution: 2160p RGB (Not Auto)
RGB Range: Limited (Not Auto)

Everything else in video settings set to Auto.

Last of Us looks stunning to me. Plenty of brightness and pop. I'm about to start Horizon Zero Dawn so will report back.

Would like to know your impressions over Horizon, found the HDR on it disappointing. Dont see much difference compared to SDR Game mode.

I'm very confused:

I just updated my B6 to the new firmware via USB and in the settings, it does confirm that I'm indeed running 04.31.10.
Despite that, the options don't offer me a HDR Game Mode. There is the old game mode as well as the HDR modes though.

I'm using the B6D model (Germany) with the menu set to German, might this be the reason?

I also think that for Horizon, the standard game mode looks much more vibrant than HDR....

I'm very confused:

I just updated my B6 to the new firmware via USB and in the settings, it does confirm that I'm indeed running 04.31.10.
Despite that, the options don't offer me a HDR Game Mode. There is the old game mode as well as the HDR modes though.

I'm using the B6D model (Germany) with the menu set to German, might this be the reason?

I also think that for Horizon, the standard game mode looks much more vibrant than HDR....
What do you mean "old game mode"? Once there is an HDR input you should only get to choose from HDR modes. HDR Game is the new one.
Don't forget to tweak the settings. There are some good suggestions earlier in the thread. If you want it brighter increase dynamic contrast.

What do you mean "old game mode"? Once there is an HDR input you should only get to choose from HDR modes. HDR Game is the new one.
Don't forget to tweak the settings. There are some good suggestions earlier in the thread. If you want it brighter increase dynamic contrast.

I don't have the new HDR game mode, despite my TV saying it's running the new firmware. Display modes are the same options as before.

Is there any way to downgrade the firmware again?

Top Bottom