• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

After my initial disappointment w/ HDR game mode and its brightness (or lack thereof), I think I can live with it after turning dynamic contrast up to high, where it definitely becomes "bright enough." It does fade the colors a little bit, and I'm sure it's a less accurate image overall, but I think the changes are subtle and balanced out with a slight increase to color. At the end of the day, I find it hard to complain with you've got HDR, good input lag, and the killer contrast ratio of an OLED.
Setting color to 80-90 gives you the same saturation as HDR bright I found.
You just can't oversaturate it if that's your thing.

Mullins_y2k

Neo Member
I must not be sensitive to input lag because I don't use game mode on B6 OLED and also turn on trumotion to the max while gaming. To me, the extra clarity from trumotion is worth whatever is introduced.

Uhh true motion is terrible, switch that shit off every​ input! Might as well play on a 7 year old LCD

Mullins_y2k

Neo Member
I too was disappointed with how dark HDR game mode is on the B6. I had to put contrast and OLED light on 100! And my colour is also significantly higher than other modes at 68. I have dinamic contrast on medium and I'm happy with the picture now.

Black Hat

I too was disappointed with how dark HDR game mode is on the B6. I had to put contrast and OLED light on 100! And my colour is also significantly higher than other modes at 68. I have dinamic contrast on medium and I'm happy with the picture now.

Dynamic contrast does seem the way to go. Hopefully it doesn't introduce too much extra input lag.

SnakeNL

Dynamic contrast does seem the way to go. Hopefully it doesn't introduce too much extra input lag.

It doesn't.
If there is a ingame brightness option I will use that first.
If there isn't I will use medium I thinks that looks the best on high it makes the colors more washed out.

Oh, that's dumb lol. I wonder how many gamers will never know it exists. They should push that to an automatic update pronto.

It is dumb lol. I had a little panic attack when HDR Game mode wasn't an option. What really sucks is that when you buy a TV as nice as the B6, you would think they would apply the update before disrupting them lol. Luckily, the manual install is kinda easy. There is a helpful PDF on their site on how to install it manually.

Oh and does anyone know why LG is sooo late sending this update via automatic download? Just curious....

killroy87

It is dumb lol. I had a little panic attack when HDR Game mode wasn't an option. What really sucks is that when you buy a TV as nice as the B6, you would think they would apply the update before disrupting them lol. Luckily, the manual install is kinda easy. There is a helpful PDF on their site on how to install it manually.

Oh and does anyone know why LG is sooo late sending this update via automatic download? Just curious....

If the update is as contentious on a grander scale as it seems to be here, they might try to improve upon it before they release it out en masse.

At least, that would be my hope.

shovelface88

Neo Member
What's the best way to reach out to LG in hopes that they address the decrease in brightness while in HDR Game Mode? Something tells me calling their support with information means that information will never reach the people that are actually addressing things like this.

n0razi

Oh, that's dumb lol. I wonder how many gamers will never know it exists. They should push that to an automatic update pronto.

The out of box calibration for HDR Game Mode is pretty bad so I can see a lot of people complaining if it was an auto update and made the image "worse". Makes sense to make it a manual patch for people who care enough. Most people I know who have a B6/C6/E6 got it mainly for movies and don't even play games so it would be of no benefit.

killroy87

The out of box calibration for HDR Game Mode is pretty bad so I can see a lot of people complaining if it was an auto update and made the image "worse". Makes sense to make it a manual patch for people who care enough. Most people I know who have a B6/C6/E6 got it mainly for movies and don't even play games so it would be of no benefit.

I mean, for the price I'd rather them just update HDR Game with proper calibration and patch it in for everyone.

shovelface88

Neo Member
I mean, for the price I'd rather them just update HDR Game with proper calibration and patch it in for everyone.

Sure, but even with proper calibration, with or without Dynamic Contrast, you can't get the brightness the same as HDR standard. It's just dimmer. If you turn on Dynamic Contrast to compensate, it washes out the colors, particularly on yellows and blues.

We shouldn't have to use Dynamic Contrast to have similar brightness to HDR Standard anyhow, it shouldn't be that much dimmer to begin with.

Here's hoping they push out an update. Perhaps that's why they haven't pushed this update to Auto Update yet; maybe they plan on a fix before general release.

SnakeNL

Maybe I'm weird but I don't see much difference between standard and game mode.
It's much more with HDR bright.
This is with dynamic contrast off.

Even my brother said it isn't much different.
Even better on HDR game mode.

killroy87

Luckily, I haven't had much issue playing games on HDR Bright, whatever input lag is there has bothered me exactly zero. Still, if a proper HDR Game mode existed, I'd use it.

killroy87

But... a proper HDR Game mode does exist.

That looks as good as HDR Bright, i mean.

So I have a question about this OLED55B6P. Just got it, and am using it as a PC monitor, and it's having this weird effect that's almost like dynamic contrast, where the screen will brighten up noticeably on darker web pages and then dim on lighter ones. I absolutely hate it, and want to turn it off, but can not seem to find a way. None of the picture options such as dynamic contrast or anything like that are on, and I can not for the life of me figure out how to stop it from doing this (if it's even possible).

I feel like it's only doing this when it acts as a PC monitor. If it's doing it for every other input, it's wayyyyy less noticeable. It's most noticeable here because my Chrome browser is a super white color, so I can clearly see it go from brighter to dimmer as I navigate pages.

Any ideas what might be causing this, and if it's fixable?

shovelface88

Neo Member
Maybe I'm weird but I don't see much difference between standard and game mode.
It's much more with HDR bright.
This is with dynamic contrast off.

Even my brother said it isn't much different.
Even better on HDR game mode.

What firmware are you on? When I was on 04.30.77 I couldn't see a difference. When I updated to 04.31.10 I could immediately tell that HDR Game Mode was less bright.

Miker

So I have a question about this OLED55B6P. Just got it, and am using it as a PC monitor, and it's having this weird effect that's almost like dynamic contrast, where the screen will brighten up noticeably on darker web pages and then dim on lighter ones. I absolutely hate it, and want to turn it off, but can not seem to find a way. None of the picture options such as dynamic contrast or anything like that are on, and I can not for the life of me figure out how to stop it from doing this (if it's even possible).

I feel like it's only doing this when it acts as a PC monitor. If it's doing it for every other input, it's wayyyyy less noticeable. It's most noticeable here because my Chrome browser is a super white color, so I can clearly see it go from brighter to dimmer as I navigate pages.

It's the automatic brightness limiter, I don't think it can be turned off.

J-P

Neo Member
HDR game mode is fine on the OLEDs. B6 65 here. I was in the camp thinking Horizon was super dim but the more I played the more I got to full daytime areas and it's bright as shit. so much of the game is dawn/dusk/night etc. it's supposed to look realistic and highlight the differences beteeen very light and very dark. Walk through a forest or a cauldron and the lighting effects are insane. Don't ruin it by trying to make every moment super bright. This game looks insane on this TV.

holygeesus

Banned
HDR Bright isn't a setting you would want to look like anyway. It is woefully inaccurate and skews colours and blows out detail. Yes, it will hurt your eyes when you use it, but that is literally the only reason you would choose it.

HDR Game at default, put color gamut to Normal, turn off all processing and whack Dynamic Contrast to High and you get a decent picture and shit-loads of face melting brightness. Horizon looks stunning with these settings.

SnakeNL

What firmware are you on? When I was on 04.30.77 I couldn't see a difference. When I updated to 04.31.10 I could immediately tell that HDR Game Mode was less bright.

04.31.10 never got the .77 I have a EU model.
I tested bright with FF15 and his arm clipped with the ground.
So yeah it is darker then bright but not with standard at least on my TV.

You're using a 65" screen as a PC monitor? Damn, son.

shovelface88

Neo Member
04.31.10 never got the .77 I have a EU model.
I tested bright with FF15 and his arm clipped with the ground.
So yeah it is darker then bright but not with standard at least on my TV.

Hmm, that is strange. If I put both HDR Standard and HDR game to the same exact settings in an HDR game - Hitman and Uncharted 2 are the ones I've been testing, looking at anything bright there is a clear difference in luminance. Odd that you aren't experiencing something similar.

In any case, many people are and it would be nice for an update with perhaps an option to bring them closer together.

SnakeNL

Hmm, that is strange. If I put both HDR Standard and HDR game to the same exact settings in an HDR game - Hitman and Uncharted 2 are the ones I've been testing, looking at anything bright there is a clear difference in luminance. Odd that you aren't experiencing something similar.

In any case, many people are and it would be nice for an update with perhaps an option to bring them closer together.
I even had my brother over to check if he could see a difference but he also says that game mode is the way to go.

Maybe it's the build of the TV, mine is from Feb 17. Don't think so but you'll never know.

holygeesus

Banned
I'm beginning to wonder if there *was* a difference between the firmware I linked to (that came out before the official EU/UK one) and the official one now. It seems the only way to explain such contrasting opinions.

I installed early and my HDR Game mode is stunning. Horizon Zero Dawn just blows me away.

SnakeNL

I'm beginning to wonder if there *was* a difference between the firmware I linked to (that came out before the official EU/UK one) and the official one now. It seems the only way to explain such contrasting opinions.

I installed early and my HDR Game mode is stunning. Horizon Zero Dawn just blows me away.
I waited so I don't think so.
Somebody also checked the hashes on both updates and it was the same.

I must not be sensitive to input lag because I don't use game mode on B6 OLED and also turn on trumotion to the max while gaming. To me, the extra clarity from trumotion is worth whatever is introduced.

Extra clarity from Trumotion?

There are interpolation artifacts everywhere

shovelface88

Neo Member

Don't get me wrong, HDR Game looks great. Really the only difference apart from the better input response that I notice is the difference in overall image brightness. If dynamic contrast is used, the difference isn't as noticeable, but DC desaturates certain colors, so for me personally, isn't a long-term solution.

Ein Bear

I think it must just be down to whatever you were using before. I vaguely recall seeing posts where you've mentioned having the OLED light at the mid 60s for standard stuff, and have it on 100 for HDR Game mode? I imagine in that case the two would look fairly even. I was using 100 OLED on the standard Game mode to begin with, so HDR looks very dim in comparison.

(Apologies if that's completely wrong, Im just speculating based on half remembered posts that I've seen in the thread)

holygeesus

Banned
I think it must just be down to whatever you were using before. I vaguely recall seeing posts where you've mentioned having the OLED light at the mid 60s for standard stuff, and have it on 100 for HDR Game mode? I imagine in that case the two would look fairly even. I was using 100 OLED on the standard Game mode to begin with, so HDR looks very dim in comparison.

(Apologies if that's completely wrong, Im just speculating based on half remembered posts that I've seen in the thread)

Yep, to be fair, I had only played one other HDR game before (Res 7) and that is largely in darkness, so it maybe why it's not taken me by surprise. I am also using Dynamic Contrast maxed out. I *do* see a difference between HDR Bright and HDR Game, flicking back and forwards, but then I wouldn't touch that setting, and the HDR film material I have watched has been with the standard setting, which is still pretty much identical to Game on my set.

Have to admit, I don't find the colours washed out with DC either. They are definitely muted compared to regular Game mode, but that could be because I changed color gamut to Normal also. They look very natural to my eyes, in comparison to the overly warm default look.

shovelface88

Neo Member
Yep, to be fair, I had only played one other HDR game before (Res 7) and that is largely in darkness, so it maybe why it's not taken me by surprise. I am also using Dynamic Contrast maxed out. I *do* see a difference between HDR Bright and HDR Game, flicking back and forwards, but then I wouldn't touch that setting, and the HDR film material I have watched has been with the standard setting, which is still pretty much identical to Game on my set.

Have to admit, I don't find the colours washed out with DC either. They are definitely muted compared to regular Game mode, but that could be because I changed color gamut to Normal also. They look very natural to my eyes, in comparison to the overly warm default look.

The fact that you have dynamic contrast on high completely explains why you don't see a difference between HDR Game and HDR Standard. Load up an HDR Game and disable dynamic contrast on standard and hdr game and you will notice a brightness difference.

mitchman

Gold Member
Yep they are pretty much identical TV's. I find their recommendation to lower the contrast bizzare though, I don't get crushed blacks or whites at 100 from my calibration tests.

Wasn't that for non-HDR game mode? For HDR, I seem to remember they said to leave it at the default.

MDave

Wasn't that for non-HDR game mode? For HDR, I seem to remember they said to leave it at the default.

They suggested 78 contrast for non-HDR settings, 100 for HDR mode. I don't get crushed blacks or whites at 100 in non-HDR mode.

EDIT: I notice banding artifacts when I set it to 78 or anything else lower then 100 in a black to white gradient test. They may have mixed up which settings to use for the 2 modes?

mitchman

Gold Member
They suggested 78 contrast for non-HDR settings, 100 for HDR mode. I don't get crushed blacks or whites at 100 in non-HDR mode.

EDIT: I notice banding artifacts when I set it to 78 or anything else lower then 100 in a black to white gradient test. They may have mixed up which settings to use for the 2 modes?

Banding is part of SDR, hard to avoid it without crushing the colors. 8-bit can only go so far..

MDave

Banding is part of SDR, hard to avoid it without crushing the colors. 8-bit can only go so far..

But there isn't banding for me in SDR mode when I have the contrast at 100. AND no whites or black crushing. I don't know if you are following what I am saying in my posts :p

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php#gradient-h.png

This shows the gradient perfectly for me.

Set contrast to anything less, then you start to see banding + loss of contrast detail. This is why I am saying its bizarre they are recommending a setting of 78 for contrast in SDR mode.

Weevilone

But there isn't banding for me in SDR mode when I have the contrast at 100. AND no whites or black crushing. I don't know if you are following what I am saying in my posts :p

Set contrast to anything less, then you start to see banding + loss of contrast detail. This is why I am saying its bizarre they are recommending a setting of 78 for contrast in SDR mode.

The rationale I've seen multiple times is that it clips whites. If it works for you without clipping that's great.

The rationale I've seen multiple times is that it clips whites. If it works for you without clipping that's great.

Must people at the avsforums and avforums say to set contrast to around 80-85 as to not introduce white clipping. They are using different test patterns than the traditional ones people use, though, I think (think I read something about LG OLEDs needing a different contrast pattern for some reason). I can't go much lower than 85 without suffering severe black crush, though, so I just keep it there. It does seem to help with eliminating the near-black noise you see in a lot of streaming content too.

I'm not sure why they suggest 50 for color in game mode, though. That mode forces a wide color gamut, so I drop it to 45 and it looks much closer to normal color gamut to me when I do that.

MDave

I don't know, I seem to be able to see all the patterns here up to 253 (254 I can't see no matter the contrast setting). Blacks I can see every square. Is it because I have a C6 and there is a difference compared to the B6? I have it in game mode, PC input label (for full chroma).

Weevilone

I don't know, I seem to be able to see all the patterns here up to 253 (254 I can't see no matter the contrast setting). Blacks I can see every square. Is it because I have a C6 and there is a difference compared to the B6? I have it in game mode, PC input label (for full chroma).

Ah, I'm not sure about PC input or game mode. I only use game mode SDR if I absolutely have to due to the color gamut lock. It looks so bad.

holygeesus

Banned

If your above reference white isn't being clipped at 100 I'd be surprised, but that may well be the case for you. Check also that your whites aren't taking on any coloured hue at that level, normally red. Then give it the old eyesight test - if you can endure a two hour film with contrast that high, then it's all good. If all the above criteria are met, then why not leave it at 100 if you are happy with it?

For reference, I start to see clipping at 85.

Digital Foundry did a video of (what they consider) best picture settings for the B6. Opinions will vary, but this is a solid start if you have no idea what you're doing and what some guidance from people who live and breath image quality.
Do you have to manually switch settings each time or are there settings profiles you can save? I can imagine it getting a bit tedious if you do it manually.

I can't believe it, I order an LG B6 this evening! Now going to wonder if I should've paid a little extra for the E6...

Top Bottom