• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

So I already have a 4k 3D Samsung (JU7100) and several 3D movies... should I look for a deal on one of these or just wait for the 2017 models? Have they even released any other info other than the fact that they won't be 3D... When do they drop?

killroy87

Just popped into this thread as I was considering grabbing this set, especially with the new HDR Game mode, but these impressions of it being way too dark put me off. I have a couple questions;

1) To those using high dynamic contrast as a fix, do you find that creates a distracting effect where the brightness of the TV is constantly shifting? I played RE7 at my friend's, and I noticed as he was walking through the environment, and the camera planned around shots that were well lit to dimly lit, the dynamic contrast was kicking in and the effect was suuuuuper noticeable, I hated it. That was on a different set though. Do you find that with this.

2) If standard HDR settings are preferable in terms of brightness, do you find games to be playable there regarding input lag? Looking at the rtings review, it doesn't appear that input lag ever gets too drastically high. I feel that 60-70ms is still super playable, it's when it reaches 130+Ms that it starts to hamper (for me)

3) Games aside, how's this set for like watching movies and what not in 4K HDR? Knowing the input lag isn't a thing, are we happy with the performance of the OLED?

Thanks guys!

Kyoufu

Just going through the last few pages, it seems that owners aren't even bothering to adjust their settings. HDR Game mode shouldn't be any darker than other picture modes if you calibrate it to your liking. I personally had to adjust the colour temperature to a much warmer setting because it was too cold by default.

1) To those using high dynamic contrast as a fix, do you find that creates a distracting effect where the brightness of the TV is constantly shifting? I played RE7 at my friend's, and I noticed as he was walking through the environment, and the camera planned around shots that were well lit to dimly lit, the dynamic contrast was kicking in and the effect was suuuuuper noticeable, I hated it. That was on a different set though. Do you find that with this.
Are you sure that wasn't just the game? It does adjust lighting based on screen content, like most other games nowadays.

Just going through the last few pages, it seems that owners aren't even bothering to adjust their settings. HDR Game mode shouldn't be any darker than other picture modes if you calibrate it to your liking. I personally had to adjust the colour temperature to a much warmer setting because it was too cold by default.

Yeah, I think people forgot what their TVs looked like out of the box. HDR game is no different. Default is hell.

holygeesus

Banned
All HDR modes, apart from HDR Game, are now in the 80ms range. If you don't notice the lag, that's great, but you really should be avoiding them for gaming.

holygeesus

Banned
So, finally started Horizon Zero Dawn in HDR using 'prefer resolution' mode and it looks utterly stunning to me. No issues at all with brightness. Early on in the cave, everything is perfectly visible with decent shadow detail. If anything, I might be noticing some ABL kicking in, which I'm guessing is a side effect of having the OLED Light setting maxed out at 100.

For me, default Game HDR settings (except Normal Colour Gamut and disabling all processing) work great, so it seems odd that people are having issues.

SnakeNL

So, finally started Horizon Zero Dawn in HDR using 'prefer resolution' mode and it looks utterly stunning to me. No issues at all with brightness. Early on in the cave, everything is perfectly visible with decent shadow detail. If anything, I might be noticing some ABL kicking in, which I'm guessing is a side effect of having the OLED Light setting maxed out at 100.

For me, default Game HDR settings (except Normal Colour Gamut and disabling all processing) work great, so it seems odd that people are having issues.

Yeah for me too.
I changed the following:

K30 to W30
All proccesing off.
Black level low
This is on a PS4 Pro

And it just looks like HDR Standard maybe a little brighter.

Only problem ive got my TV is in front of a big window so during the day sometimes it's a bit harder to see.
But that's a problem for another time.

SnakeNL

Sorry for the double post I asked rtings to check input lag with dynamic contrast on.

Z0jrlnF.jpg

You have that option if you need it

J-P

Neo Member

Where is the "prefer resolution" setting? PS4 or TV? I find this game a bit dim in HDR as well. Mind blowing, but dim. Doesn't help that much of the game is in dawn, dusk, overcast, or night time. I cranked up the in game brightness some but I fear I'm losing much of the HDR effect by doing so.

Huh. Interesting. I'm going to set it to low when I get home, it makes it slightly brighter.

I would try out medium. I can barely make out the difference between HDR Standard without Dynamic Contrast and HDR Game with it when set to medium. I also don't find it removes any detail. The opposite actually seems to be the case when playing a game like Horizon.

Okada

I would try out medium. I can barely make out the difference between HDR Standard without Dynamic Contrast and HDR Game with it when set to medium. I also don't find it removes any detail. The opposite actually seems to be the case when playing a game like Horizon.

I'm not home right now so I can't check but I definitely remember losing some detail in Final Fantasy XV with Dynamic Contrast on.

holygeesus

Banned
I'm not home right now so I can't check but I definitely remember losing some detail in Final Fantasy XV with Dynamic Contrast on.

Yeah I lose detail too. Shadow detail though.

To whoever asked above, the 'Prefer Resolution' setting is in the graphics section of the game options. You choose prefer resolution or prefer performance I think.

Yeah I lose detail too. Shadow detail though.

To whoever asked above, the 'Prefer Resolution' setting is in the graphics section of the game options. You choose prefer resolution or prefer performance I think.

I'll have to check this out in Final Fantasy XV. For now I'm just going to avoid Dynamic Contrast unless the game just feels too dark like in Horizon or RE7's case. I really don't want to raise my black levels using the brightness setting because I like the inky OLED black levels.

SnakeNL

Also from the AV forums

Just to be clear. Hdr game mode is not a tad dimmer. It is significantly dimmer. I do have a display measurement device and in hdr game mode I measure just above 350 nits! This is lower then SDR game mode at 100 oled light. In HDR bright it as high as 700 nit. If you compare hdr bright and hdr game without cheating with dynamic contrast, which washes out the colors anyway, there is a large differnce.

Let's hope LG sees this and do another update.

Also from the AV forums

Let's hope LG sees this and do another update.

What is the new take away here? We know it's dimmer without dynamic contrast. You can increase the saturation if you want the image to look like HDR bright. Again, HDR Game needs some additional tweaking, but the way I have it set up it's virtually identical to the HDR bright option I used before. It's easy to tell too because I can switch back and forth on the spot.

What is the new take away here? We know it's dimmer without dynamic contrast. You can increase the saturation if you want the image to look like HDR bright. Again, HDR Game needs some additional tweaking, but the way I have it set up it's virtually identical to the HDR bright option I used before. It's easy to tell too because I can switch back and forth on the spot.

It's just not identical with the same settings across each mode, and raising brightness or dynamic contrast is just not a good enough workaround. I'm hoping they fix it.

oh man i was thinking of getting the OLED55B6P instead of the sony xbr, there is lag in this model??

Input lag is certainly not an issue with the B6.

It's just not identical with the same settings across each mode, and raising brightness or dynamic contrast is just not a good enough workaround. I'm hoping they fix it.

That is the case with all modes though. You always have to adjust. HDR Vivid without any dynamic contrast activated still looks brighter than HDR Bright with dynamic contrast. It's the same values being tweaked in the background.

I just don't want people to get the impression that they HAVE to wait for another fix because this current HDR mode is deeply flawed. That's the impression I got reading threads prior to trying it out myself. But with some minor tweaking I got it to look virtually identical to the HDR Bright setting I used before.

holygeesus

Banned
Ain't gonna lie, you guys might be on to something with dynamic contrast. I've been trying knocking my brightness up a tad and using DC on High as an 'out there' experiment and it looks bloody good. I'm surprised. It doesn't add any lag either. I might be converted yet.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Not sure if this the appropriate place to put this but I continue to have handshake issues between my PS4 Pro and LG C6. I was playing the DQ Builders the other night and after 20 minutes it seem to loose signal. It went to a white screen with the PS4 still on. There has been times were it has gone to a black screen. Happened when watching Netflix. Currently have firmware 4.30.95 installed. Anyone else still having issues?

SnakeNL

Ain't gonna lie, you guys might be on to something with dynamic contrast. I've been trying knocking my brightness up a tad and using DC on High as an 'out there' experiment and it looks bloody good. I'm surprised. It doesn't add any lag either. I might be converted yet.

Doesn't it make the colors more washed out?

Not sure if this the appropriate place to put this but I continue to have handshake issues between my PS4 Pro and LG C6. I was playing the DQ Builders the other night and after 20 minutes it seem to loose signal. It went to a white screen with the PS4 still on. There has been times were it has gone to a black screen. Happened when watching Netflix. Currently have firmware 4.30.95 installed. Anyone else still having issues?

Well yes, since LG hasn't fixed the handshaking issues yet that appeared with the previous .90 FW on the C6 and E6.

n0razi

I was really surprised by how cold the default setting was for HDR Game Mode. I had to crank it almost all the way Warm.

I was really surprised by how cold the default setting was for HDR Game Mode. I had to crank it almost all the way Warm.

I actually do set it to the warmest setting, myself. Color is way too high as well at 65. I set it to 55 to be similar the HDR Standard base setting.

killroy87

Just got this set, how do i use HDR game mode? I tried playing Horizon, and ca only switch between HDR Standard, Bright, and Vivid. Not sure how to implement HDR game mode

n0razi

Just got this set, how do i use HDR game mode? I tried playing Horizon, and ca only switch between HDR Standard, Bright, and Vivid. Not sure how to implement HDR game mode

What version is your firmware? Check in settings.. and also what model do you have?

Wollan

Warm 15, Color 55, Brightness 51 is what I have currently (besides usual suspect like 100 in both Oled light and Contrast, low black level, off to everything else).
Looks pretty much identical to HDR Bright which I based off AV Forum guide though slightly cooler as I find the orange-tan a bit too much in very warm settings which for some reason the guides keep gravitating towards.

So Dynamic Contrast does destroy detail in bright sections of games. Just tested this with FFXV. Also, HDR Standard mode does the same thing even without Dynamic Contrast on. I suggest leaving this setting off now.

sTiTcH AU

I just got my B6 set today and I am trying to get the latest update from the website but the zip file has been corrupt every time. I also can not select game mode while playing xbox, it is greyed out for some reason.

(Australian model which is the B6T)

holygeesus

Banned
Doesn't it make the colors more washed out?

I've only had a quick play, but it didn't seem to. Posters are mentioning that it clips detail in bright scenes, so I'll have another play later. Changing the colour range from Wide to Normal makes colours more muted anyway i.e. more accurate. I wish regular Game mode had this option.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I was thrown off by the PS4 UI.

HDR Game Mode is still bright enough in the end but I was previously using HDR Bright (not Vivid). HDR content looks great but things like the PS4 UI appear very dim in HDR Game Mode versus Bright. Now, the UI isn't actually HDR content but the system continues to output HDR as long as an HDR game is running. Using Bright, the UI appears to display at the same brightness you get when the system is not in HDR mode. With HDR Game, it's simply less bright - which may be how it is supposed to be and the HDR Bright mode was incorrect all along.

Actual HDR content looks great, though, and highlights are just as bright as they should be.

Okada

So Dynamic Contrast does destroy detail in bright sections of games. Just tested this with FFXV. Also, HDR Standard mode does the same thing even without Dynamic Contrast on. I suggest leaving this setting off now.

Yeah I quickly loaded it up last night and there's a definite loss of bright detail, even with dynamic contrast at low.

sTiTcH AU

So I sorted all of my issues out. I was able to get the latest update downloading through edge, using chrome it would be corrupt each time.

Also apparently if you are using an LG soundbar that is connected to the TV via Bluetooth, game mode will be disabled. Totally shit house as that was the easiest and cleanest way to use the soundbar but I want game mode more.

Does anyone have the LG OLED55E6P?

If so, how is the lag, HDR, brightness, etc?

I'm looking at this television because it also has 3D. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Lucifon

There is no way HDR Game is half the brightness on my setup. Either his settings are messed up or his testing is flawed.

On my UK B6V it certainly seems to be. HDR Game with Dynamic Contrast off on default settings genuinely looks terrible from a HDR perspective. It's almost pointless using it like that as you're getting little benefit from HDR, may as well play SDR Game Mode which is noticeably brighter no doubt about it. Not sure if it's caused by differently calibrated sets, different models in general or just people's perception.

I used Mass Effect to test, looking at bright areas like the sun etc. There's some loss of detail but we're talking very minor loss. The increased brightness + hdr game input lag benefit outweighs the negative I'd say.

holygeesus

Banned
Yeah I quickly loaded it up last night and there's a definite loss of bright detail, even with dynamic contrast at low.

In Horizon Zero Dawn it just seems to add more punch to the image. I can't see any clipping of white detail. I'm quite impressed with it, as it seems to taper ABL too.

wege12

I must not be sensitive to input lag because I don't use game mode on B6 OLED and also turn on trumotion to the max while gaming. To me, the extra clarity from trumotion is worth whatever is introduced.

Miker

After my initial disappointment w/ HDR game mode and its brightness (or lack thereof), I think I can live with it after turning dynamic contrast up to high, where it definitely becomes "bright enough." It does fade the colors a little bit, and I'm sure it's a less accurate image overall, but I think the changes are subtle and balanced out with a slight increase to color. At the end of the day, I find it hard to complain with you've got HDR, good input lag, and the killer contrast ratio of an OLED.

Top Bottom