• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

KevinG

Ran Uncharted 4 through the PS4 Pro on my B6 last night, as I hadn't tested HDR game mode at all yet.

I'm not sure I see a huge HDR difference, and feel like I'm probably not doing something right, but didn't have a whole lot of time to mess around. Just messed around in the Twelve Towers chapter. It looked great, but then again, it already looked great.

Any type of post-processing by the TV will add some form of lag. The whole point of game mode is to turn all that stuff off.

Dynamic Contrast is a method designed to enhance contrast above and beyond the standard settings, in other words, a way to make the dark areas darker and the light spots brighter. It will make the picture "pop", but detail will be lost, the picture will look "brighter" but will lose detail:
dcd2da47ca86d20262df1f7390e471ab.jpg

pictureQuality_highContrast.jpg

Ah ok, thanks! That to me just looks like black crush and overblown lighting so that will be staying off for me :p

mitchman

Gold Member
Ran Uncharted 4 through the PS4 Pro on my B6 last night, as I hadn't tested HDR game mode at all yet.

I'm not sure I see a huge HDR difference, and feel like I'm probably not doing something right, but didn't have a whole lot of time to mess around. Just messed around in the Twelve Towers chapter. It looked great, but then again, it already looked great.

You have enabled UHD Color on the input used for the PS4 Pro, right?

Any type of post-processing by the TV will add some form of lag. The whole point of game mode is to turn all that stuff off.

Dynamic Contrast is a method designed to enhance contrast above and beyond the standard settings, in other words, a way to make the dark areas darker and the light spots brighter. It will make the picture "pop", but detail will be lost, the picture will look "brighter" but will lose detail:
dcd2da47ca86d20262df1f7390e471ab.jpg

pictureQuality_highContrast.jpg

That's what it normally does on TVs, but I swear it's not crushing blacks at all on the B6. It just seems the brighten the image across the board instead. Seriously, the closest I can get to the HDR Standard mode (Dynamic Contrast off) when using the HDR Game mode is to turn Dynamic Contrast to Medium. It sounds crazy, but it isn't causing black crush like most Dynamic Contrast settings do.

Lucifon

That's my experience with HDR in general.

That's what it normally does on TVs, but I swear it's not crushing blacks at all on the B6. It just seems the brighten the image across the board instead. Seriously, the closest I can get to the HDR Standard mode (Dynamic Contrast off) when using the HDR Game mode is to turn Dynamic Contrast to Medium. It sounds crazy, but it isn't causing black crush like most Dynamic Contrast settings do.

Yep that's my feeling too. It doesn't appear to crush blacks it just makes things brighter. Honestly I don't see how you can possibly enjoy the TV in HDR Game if you had Dynamic Contrast anywhere less than medium - the mode would be absolutely noticeably detrimental to the image quality not beneficial.

How is the input lag?

Taggen86

Used the UK link to update my swedish b6v: http://www.lg.com/uk/lgecs.downloadF...4.31.10).zip

Everything works and in line with a lot of people have said, HDR game mode is indeed darker. The difference is not huge, but it is noticeable. I wish it was possible to set gamma to high (now it is locked to medium). I will probably continue using HDR standard since it has lower lag now. Dynamic contrast is off since it adds a lot of input lag and removes a lot of details in bright areas (look at the sun in uncharted 4 and turn dynamic contrast on and off and you will understand what I mean). The best solution is probably to increase in game brightness 1-3 steps that you can make the screen brighter while not clipping any details in dark and bright areas.

Motion is not worse in pc mode, as some has reported. It is as good as before.

edit: horizon seems to clip less details when using dynamic contrast in hdr game mode so it is probably a viable option.

Used the UK link to update my swedish b6v: http://www.lg.com/uk/lgecs.downloadF...4.31.10).zip

Everything works and in line with a lot of people have said, HDR game mode is indeed darker. The difference is not huge, but it is noticeable. I wish it was possible to set gamma to high (now it is locked to medium). I will probably continue using HDR standard. Dynamic contrast is off since it adds a lot of input lag and removes a lot of details in dark areas.

Motion is not worse in pc mode, as some has reported. It still plays this video better than console input:

So it does add lag? I've only tested Dynamic Contrast on in Mass Effect: Andromeda and Horizon: Zero Dawn so far, but didn't notice much of a difference. I'm thinking a 60fps game would make it more obvious, so I'll give something like Resogun a try later tonight.

KevinG

You have enabled UHD Color on the input used for the PS4 Pro, right?

Yup. UHD Color is enabled.

Is this something I need to enable for all of the HDMI ports? I didn't even know it was there until yesterday, and even then I don't know what it's actually suppose to do.

That's my experience with HDR in general.

Yep that's my feeling too. It doesn't appear to crush blacks it just makes things brighter. Honestly I don't see how you can possibly enjoy the TV in HDR Game if you had Dynamic Contrast anywhere less than medium - the mode would be absolutely noticeably detrimental to the image quality not beneficial.

Would utilizing Dynamic Contrast in Game Mode effect input lag?

Taggen86

So it does add lag? I've only tested Dynamic Contrast on in Mass Effect: Andromeda and Horizon: Zero Dawn so far, but didn't notice much of a difference. I'm thinking a 60fps game would make it more obvious, so I'll give something like Resogun a try later tonight.

Yepp. all post processing adds lag and I think dynamic contrast is one of the worst in this regard. However if you do not see the difference, then you can keep it on.

Yepp. all post processing adds lag and I think dynamic contrast is one of the worst in this regard.

How much lag? I can deal with it as long as it's no more than 10ms or so. The HDR Game mode really is very dim in certain games. Horizon: Zero Dawn is a big offender as you can barely see in dark areas without either using Dynamic Contrast (adds lag as you said) or increasing Brightness (makes the deepest blacks grey above 50 on my set).

How much lag? I can deal with it as long as it's no more than 10ms or so. The HDR Game mode really is very dim in certain games. Horizon: Zero Dawn is a big offender as you can barely see in dark areas without either using Dynamic Contrast (adds lag as you said) or increasing Brightness (makes the deepest blacks grey above 50 on my set).

That's really odd. I use brightness 49 for HDR Game Mode on my B6 and I have no issues navigating dark environments in Horizon w/ Dynamic Contrast off.

I'll have to tinker with this when I get home.

Have you adjusted the in-game brightness slider? I've found that when I turn HDR Game Mode on I need to increase the brightness slider in game instead of in my TV. This seems to preserve proper black while making the rest of the game look appropriate.

Weevilone

Yeah I don't have a B6, but rather an E6... but I certainly don't need to use anything to brighten HDR Game.

Horizon Zero Dawn is my current game and it's stunning, no issues with visibility in dark areas. I definitely don't have any dynamic stuff on.

Now that I think about it, HDR Game Mode at default was a bit too dim, but I was able to fix it by adjusting the in-game brightness sliders in 3 different games: Horizon, Uncharted 4, and Infamous: First Light.

In all 3 of these titles once I turned up the in game brightness while keeping my TV's brightness at 49, they looked great, very bright when needed but also preserving detail in dark scenes without any crush (to my eye at least) and without the blacks appearing dark grey. I still cannot see where the screen ends and the bezel begins when the screen is displaying a black scene, which is my unofficial and untrained litmus test for the black level being good :p

This is with dynamic contrast off.

That's really odd. I use brightness 49 for HDR Game Mode on my B6 and I have no issues navigating dark environments in Horizon w/ Dynamic Contrast off.

I'll have to tinker with this when I get home.

Have you adjusted the in-game brightness slider? I've found that when I turn HDR Game Mode on I need to increase the brightness slider in game instead of in my TV. This seems to preserve proper black while making the rest of the game look appropriate.

If your TV settings are right, you generally shouldn't have to adjust brightness in-game unless there is an HDR calibration screen designed to find peak luminance on your particular display. Also, each set will be a bit different. I'll play with the in-game brightness adjustment and see how it works out. It really only seems to be an issue in a few games, Horizon especially. Infamous has some issues too, but that happens in when not in HDR. Adjust contrast in-game for Infamous seems to help a lot.

If your TV settings are right, you generally shouldn't have to adjust brightness in-game unless there is an HDR calibration screen designed to find peak luminance on your particular display. Also, each set will be a bit different. I'll play with the in-game brightness adjustment and see how it works out. It really only seems to be an issue in a few games, Horizon especially. Infamous has some issues too, but that happens in when not in HDR. Adjust contrast in-game for Infamous seems to help a lot.

I'm sure part of it was just personal preference on my part.

I do Bright 49, Contrast 100, OLED Light 100, all other post process stuff off, all the color stuff neutral.

Then I just adjust the in game brightness as needed. Very unscientific. Basically just eyeballing it.

Taggen86

Which set do you have? on my b6v I can increase brightness to 51 without losing the perfect blacks (52 in non-hdr mode). While I have experienced some black crush in Horizon, It is very rare that I cannot see what I am doing. I used this video from avforum to calibrate brightness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4e9yO94Xr8. I do not understand why a lot of people here have brightness at 49, it clips a lot of details in black areas on my set according to this and other calibration videos.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
We just set up an OLED set in the office, right next to a Samsung Quantum Dot set.

Feels bad man. I love my (Sony, 4k, HDR, very new) TV but LG is so far ahead, it makes the old Kuro comparisons look primitive.

But when the 70 inch is affordable, it'll be a no brainer.

We just set up an OLED set in the office, right next to a Samsung Quantum Dot set.

Feels bad man. I love my (Sony, 4k, HDR, very new) TV but LG is so far ahead, it makes the old Kuro comparisons look primitive.

But when the 70 inch is affordable, it'll be a no brainer.

Have you tried the same HDR in both at the same time?
While I like my LG I was underwhelmed by the HDR differende, so I wonder if it looks better in a Samsung.

Which set do you have? on my b6v I can increase brightness to 51 without losing the perfect blacks (52 in non-hdr mode). While I have experienced some black crush in Horizon, It is very rare that I cannot see what I am doing. I used this video from avforum to calibrate brightness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4e9yO94Xr8. I do not understand why a lot of people here have brightness at 49, it clips a lot of details in black areas on my set according to this and other calibration videos.

I'm using a B6 (in the US here) and it's 50 for me in SDR and HDR. For SDR gaming I use 2.2 gamma and Brightness 50 / Contrast 85. For SDR movies I use BT.1886 gamma and Brightness 50 / Contrast 85 as well, but I also raise the luminosity to +10 at the lowest 20-point gray-scale setting in order to no crush blacks. I also came to these settings in a completely dark room, let my eyes adjust and used a blanket to find the exact level that a 0% black test pattern lights up.

For HDR, I don't have a proper test pattern, but I do notice vignetting in black screens when I raise the brightness above 50. Maybe it's not easy to see with a lot of ambient light, but I find it to be very noticeable in Forza Horizon 3. As I said earlier, HDR Standard doesn't seem to have the crushed blacks issue when playing Horizon: Zero Dawn, and the only thing that makes HDR Game mode look similar is increasing dynamic contrast to medium. When I switch back and forth with that setting applied, I see barely a difference between the two images, so I may just stick with that if the input lag doesn't bother me.

Taggen86

I do not know the figure but it adds some lag. HDR Game mode is well below HDR standard in terms of lag even when it is turned on though, so game mode should be used if you want the lowest lag possible.

Stinkles

Have you tried the same HDR in both at the same time?
While I like my LG I was underwhelmed by the HDR differende, so I wonder if it looks better in a Samsung.

Nah, nothing scientific at all. They're just reference monitors for HDR tests. I'm mostly using Best Buy visits as a comparison point.

Stinkles

Sorry, I wanted to say HDR content in my previous post, but skipped content ^^"
Whats your opinion from those comparisons?

Honestly both handle HDR wonderfully - it's striking (Forza H3 and Mad Max are great test mules) but the LG blacks and contrast seal the deal. And the LG is much more expensive.

Honestly both handle HDR wonderfully - it's striking (Forza H3 and Mad Max are great test mules) but the LG blacks and contrast seal the deal. And the LG is much more expensive.

Glad to hear that. Maybe I didnt find it as surprising as I expected because the LG is already great with SDR content.

mitchman

Gold Member
Yup. UHD Color is enabled.

Is this something I need to enable for all of the HDMI ports? I didn't even know it was there until yesterday, and even then I don't know what it's actually suppose to do.

It basically enables the 600MHz clock for the HDMI input so it'll be able to handle the 18Gbps speed required for HDMI 2.0a.

Lucifon

Would utilizing Dynamic Contrast in Game Mode effect input lag?

If it does it must be tiny. I have it on medium after some tweaking and I'm happy with the result. Input lag feels great in game mode and does make a noticeable difference from non game mode to me.

Taggen86

These are my settings to get hdr game mode to look as close to hdr standard as possible on my B6V (HDR standard with all post processing off and sharpening 0 is most accurate according to calibrators):

Oled brightness 100
Contrast 100
Brightness 50 (or 51)
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color 60

All post processing off
Color gamut standard
W50 is closest to warm2
limited black levels on both

To get a similar screen brightness as hdr standard you need to either turn on medium dynamic contrast or turn up in game brightness to 0.7 (but these measures may clip details and the former will add some input lag). My experience from uncharted is that dynamic contrast clip more details than the in game slider but I find the difference to be less noticeable in horizon (although colors are clearly more washed out when dynamic contrast is set to medium). In sum, using the in game slider is preferable to using dynamic contrast.

To get a similar screen brightness as hdr standard you need to either turn on medium dynamic contrast or turn up in game brightness a couple of steps (but these measures may clip details)

Yup, this is what I did, taking care to minimize black crush or any other detail loss. I'll have to compare it w/ dynamic contrast and see which one looks / feels better.

holygeesus

Banned
If having issues on the PS4 try setting resolution to '2160p RGB' instead of 'Auto' and also try setting RGB Range to 'Limited' instead of Auto.

Doing the first forces output to 4:2:2 and the second probably does nothing, but they are my settings and the picture looks vibrant as hell to me.

If having issues on the PS4 try setting resolution to '2160p RGB' instead of 'Auto' and also try setting RGB Range to 'Limited' instead of Auto.

Doing the first forces output to 4:2:2 and the second probably does nothing, but they are my settings and the picture looks vibrant as hell to me.

I find that weird. I thought that full would be the best option, so I had RGB Auto (what results in Full) and black in high on the TV. But after reading you mentioning that I tried setting RGB limited and blacks on low, and indeed it looks better. Im playing NieR, were the characters wear black clothes, and they looked more black than before.

I find that weird. I thought that full would be the best option, so I had RGB Auto (what results in Full) and black in high on the TV. But after reading you mentioning that I tried setting RGB limited and blacks on low, and indeed it looks better. Im playing NieR, were the characters wear black clothes, and they looked more black than before.

Yeah, PS4 Pro's auto setting doesn't work right with this TV. I would just choose Limited for SDR gaming, but if you want to use Full, make sure to set the HDMI Black Level to High on the TV.

Kyoufu

The option is actually grayed out when outputting and HDR signal on PS4 Pro. It doesn't matter what this setting is when it comes to HDR. I have heard that the base PS4 and PS4 Slim handle this differently, though.

Are you saying the RGB setting is greyed out for you on Pro when outputting HDR? It isn't greyed out for me.

holygeesus

Banned
Weird, I can switch from Full to Limited with Mass Effect Andromeda playing. Same with Horizon and other HDR games. I'm using the E6.

It may well be different then as the B6 had a 'fix' to HDCP that the E6 either didn't need or didn't receive. It might be having an impact.

Weird, I can switch from Full to Limited with Mass Effect Andromeda playing. Same with Horizon and other HDR games. I'm using the E6.

It may well be different then as the B6 had a 'fix' to HDCP that the E6 either didn't need or didn't receive. It might be having an impact.

This might be the case as I'm on a B6. It's weird to find these differences between what you would assume to be similar TVs.

Can you change the HDMI Black Level settings in HDR Game mode on the E6? If so, just make sure it's set correctly I guess.

holygeesus

Banned
This might be the case as I'm on a B6. It's weird to find these differences between what you would assume to be similar TVs.

Can you change the HDMI Black Level settings in HDR Game mode on the E6? If so, just make sure it's set correctly I guess.

The E6 and B6 have entirely different internals (SoC) unfortunately. Which is why we see different firmware releases for each model. LG have made their 2017 range universal to avoid this mess in the future.

Top Bottom