• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moana |OT| - "If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you're a princess"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

RcEbARJ.png

Introduction
We've gone three years without a new Disney Princess, so after a brief detour into the world of animals, Walt Disney Animation Studios is returning back to their bread and butter. Unlike many other previous Princesses, Moana isn't a (loose) adaptation of a specific story, but rather a reflection of Polynesian culture in general.

Without a love interest.

Plot
On a mystic island in Polynesia, the 16-year-old strong-willed daughter of the chief of the tribe, Moana from Motunui Island, is chosen by the ocean itself to reunite the Heart of Te Fiti. She sets sail in search of Maui, a legendary demigod and hopes to save her people.

Release Dates

General Information
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Distributed by Walt Disney Studios.
Running time: 103 minutes
Language - English
Directors: Ron Clements and John Musker (The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Hercules, Treasure Planet, The Princess and the Frog)
Producer: Osnat Shurer (Pixar shorts)
Written by: Jared Bush (Wreck-It Ralph, Cedar Rapids), based on an original draft by Taika Waititi
Music by: Mark Mancina, Lin-Manuel Miranda (In The Heights, Hamilton: An American Musical, the cantina scene in The Force Awakens)

Characters

Moana Waialiki
Moana Waialiki is the high-spirited sixteen-year-old daughter of a chief in a long line of navigators, who sets sail to an island with an almighty demigod to help save her family from annihilation. As her name means "ocean," she has an uncanny connection with it and all its creatures. Voiced by Auli'i Cravalho.

Maui

Maui is the legendary demigod who sets off with Moana on her journey. Voiced by Dwayne Johnson.

Gramma Tala
Gramma Tala, Moana's Grandmother. Like Moana, Tala shares a passion for the ocean. Voiced by Rachel House.

Tui and Sina
Chief Tui Waialiki is Moana's overprotective father and chief of Motunui Island. Voiced by Temuera Morrison

Sina Waialiki is Moana's mother and Tui's wife. Voiced by Nicole Scherzinger.

Tamatoa

Tamatoa is a villainous 50-foot crab from Lalotai, the realm of monsters. Voiced by Jemaine Clement.

I look forward to kicking your butt in Kingdom Hearts 3.

Hei Hei
Hei Hei is Maui and Moana's pet rooster, and described by director Ron Clements as "the dumbest character in the history of Disney animation." Voiced by Alan Tudyk.

Reviews

wCnjRKU.gif

PSA: There is a stinger

uk_moana_flexhero_r_776a13a6.gif

alemmon

Awesome OT! I loved this movie so much and I cant stop listening to the soundtrack. The Rock did a great job as Maui and Aulii Cravalho as Moana is amazing. She has a great singing voice!

carlsojo

The marketing is reaaly focused on Maui. They hardly show Moana at all in the trailers. I wonder if it's to appeal to boys or just because it's the Rock.

I'm still shocked she didn't get a love interest like Disney is learning or some shit
tho a part of me thinks because she doesn't have near pale skin is the reason why even though she doesn't need one in the first place

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Super pumped about this film. It looks great. Also, I hope and pray for the day little white girls play with brown dolls. What a change of perspective for the world.

Razmos

Saw the trailer for this at the cinema today! Didn't know it was coming out so soon. Can't wait to go see this

Oozer3993

I'll be seeing this tonight. As a Disney nut, and specifically a Disney musical nut who adores The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, I am extremely excited. Only 2 and a half hours to go :D

JSevere

been looking forward to this for a long time, nothing gets me more hyped than a new musical film from WDAS, especially given that they're at the top of their game right now and there's so much talent involved

ga1oyjO.gif

and I'm still not over this water

Cubas

I have to wait until January to see this, ugh. I've been listening to the soundtrack tho, and it's AMAZING!

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I can't handle the cuteness.

*sigh*
I'm going to go see it. Um... because my girlfriend really wants to see it. Yeah. Girlfriend.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I think I will take my little sister to this. I will probably enjoy this more than Trolls.

I'm still shocked she didn't get a love interest like Disney is learning or some shit
tho a part of me thinks because she doesn't have near pale skin is the reason why even though she doesn't need one in the first place

Nothing wrong with romance, Disney just does a poor job with it most of the time.

Too juiced for this. A great coincidence that I just started getting interested in Polynesian culture. I didn't even know there were Polynesians in the US before moving to the Bay Area

Oozer3993

Just got back from it. I've been looking forward to this movie for years. I love Disney movies, especially musicals. I adore The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, both by the directors of Moana. The music I've heard from Hamilton has amazed me. Heck, in 8th grade I had a shirt with one of The Rock's catch phrases on it. Needless to say, my expectations were high. Sweet Queen Coretta the movie incredible.

The animation is utterly jaw-dropping, a huge leap over anything I've seen in any other movie. The trailers really don't do the film's look justice. The water, from the soaked clothing of characters to the entire ocean, is photorealistic. The modeling is absolutely top notch, and Disney knows it. The first part of the credits is overlayed on top of close ups of numerous models from the movie. The quality of the lip sync and facial animation is just absurd. Of course, they have a lot to work worth. The voice cast is fantastic. Auli'i Cravalho is phenomenal, with a wonderful singing voice and a great mix of confidence and vulnerability to her performance, which is nutty because she's even younger than her character. Rachel House is delightful as Moana's grandmother and Temuera Morrison is great as her father. Dwayne Johnson is as likable as always. And he can sing! Speaking of the songs, they're great, but I'm sure you knew that as soon as you saw "Lin Manuel-Miranda." A couple in the middle are just OK, but several others will have people reaching for their hankies. I wouldn't be surprised to see the film pull the Disney Renaissance trick of having 3 songs nominated for Best Song. (How Far I'll Go, We Know The Way, and I Am Moana). That last one basically turned me into a bubbling crockpot of emotion. Hot damn I love this movie.

P.S. The short before hand, Inner Workings, is great too! Really funny with a very cool style.

Just got back.

Well, damn.

Sit through the credits for real.

SERIOUSLY. The stinger is great!

kswiston

My 2 year old (30 months) cannot wait to see this and I cannot wait to take her!!

My daugher is a few months older than yours. She doesn't get to watch commercials seeing as we don't have cable/non-streaming media, but I am sure she will enjoy it when we take her.

Quick

Banned
Going to watch it this weekend hopefully.

Soundtrack is amazing by the way. Been playing it on/off the last couple of days.

You're Welcome is seriously awesome.

Seigyoku

Hoping to see it Thanksgiving day.

Will still be one short in my having watched all the films in the Disney Animated canon since no one can find either the DVD or BR for Dinosaur. (Dad: Wait I own that? Brother: Never heard of that movie. Mom: Isn't it this one? *holds up DVD that doesn't even have dinos in it.)

Malyse

ROFL Disney Extended Universe post credit scene?

Disney has been doing regular stingers since Pirates of the Caribbean. BH6 had one too.

----

I think they can do a Moana sequel (legit spoiler)
but I don't know where you go after she singlehandedly saves the world

Memles

Disney has been doing regular stingers since Pirates of the Caribbean. BH6 had one too.

I think they can do a Moana sequel (legit spoiler)
but I don't know where you go after she singlehandedly saves the world

I think it's pretty easy—
the end of the film dramatically expands its world, shifting their entire culture to one of exploration. It makes sense that this exploration would lead them to discover new islands, but also potentially new people, and there's easy sources for conflict there. It seems logical that they have their own mythology, and perhaps even their own demigod, which might give both Moana and Maui someone to grapple with. Make her rival male, his female, and let sparks fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom