• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moana |OT| - "If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you're a princess"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

I think it's pretty easy—
the end of the film dramatically expands its world, shifting their entire culture to one of exploration. It makes sense that this exploration would lead them to discover new islands, but also potentially new people, and there's easy sources for conflict there. It seems logical that they have their own mythology, and perhaps even their own demigod, which might give both Moana and Maui someone to grapple with. Make her rival male, his female, and let sparks fly.

I was more referring to scale of conflict. I don't think any Disney Princess movie has ever had stakes this high.

Now, on to step two in our attempt to gain adequate representation in pop culture.

Have a big budget movie about Native Islanders that DOESN'T have The Rock in it.

My only problem with the movie is that the plot was super predictable. There wasn't really anything interesting about it outside of a few character moments. The movie was extremely pretty and the soundtrack was great though.

Memles

I was more referring to scale of conflict. I don't think any Disney Princess movie has ever had stakes this high.

I think that's a benefit, honestly - allows a sequel to avoid repeating the same patterns and lets them consider new story structures that can work in the same environment.

In case anyone in here missed it from when I posted it back in the review thread, here's the whole soundtrack:

1. Tulou Tagaloa. WOW!
2. An Innocent Warrior. WOW!
3. Where You Are.
4. How Far I'll Go.
5. We Know The Way. WOW!
6. How Far I'll Go (Reprise)
7. You're Welcome. WOW!
8. Shiny.
9. Logo Te Pate. WOW!
10. I Am Moana. WOW!
11. Know Who You Are.
12. We Know The Way (Finale)
13. How Far I'll Go (Credits)

The soundtrack is really solid. Not one song is weak. Catchy, upbeat, epic and emotional! It's got it all! I've already got most of them stuck in my head!

Guys, so this currently has 82 reviews counted and is sitting on 99% with only 1 rotten review! DISNEY CAN DO NO WRONG! And I couldn't be happier!
Pixar who?

wjcbLzR.gif

darklin0

Banned
I am very excited to watch this with my siblings!

Guys, so this currently has 82 reviews counted and is sitting on 99% with only 1 rotten review! DISNEY CAN DO NO WRONG! And I couldn't be happier!
Pixar who?

wjcbLzR.gif

I mean... There was that Alice in Wonderland sequel...

Just saw it. Loved every moment. I heard the soundtrack before hand and was really sad the "More" reprise got cut. The music in this movie is so good. The visuals. Moana is such a strong lead and Maui is so likable. Wonderful all around.

I mean... There was that Alice in Wonderland sequel...

With everything else they're cranking out, I can forgive them for that misstep. What's insane is that I think this has a decent shot at reaching 1 billion. The movie has been picking up a ton of steam these past few days.

Harmen

Disney is killing it this year, I look forward to seeing this one. And I have no doubt the guy behind Hamilton delivers in regards to the songs for this film.

BumRush

My daugher is a few months older than yours. She doesn't get to watch commercials seeing as we don't have cable/non-streaming media, but I am sure she will enjoy it when we take her.

Yeah we do very little TV for her (she watches 2 episodes of Mickey Mouse clubhouse on weekends) but we took her to the Disney store the other day and one whole wall was Moana. She kept asking about her so I showed her the trailer and now that's all she talks about lol.

Tricky I'm pretty bummed out you didn't put WOW around Shiny.

LOL, funny you should mention that, because I originally did, but I edited it out like 20 seconds after I made my post. That song reeks of David Bowie! :D

'Know Who You Are' should probably have a 'WOW' next to it too. I just wish it was longer.

DJChuy

Saw it last night with my gf. We both enjoyed it and loved the soundtrack. There was more singing than I expected, but I didn't have a problem with it since the songs were great. My gf has been listening to the soundtrack nonstop.

The movie was gorgeous to look at, and all the characters were great. Story was predictable but still enjoyable.

Also the short before the film was hilarious but also hit me in the feels.

TEJ

Just got back.

It was delightful. A few scenes in the movie are pure disney magic. The animal sidekick is mildly annoying at worst, kinda funny at best. I love Moana and Maui, the music and animation were great. An A- movie. Some of the jokes were 'meh'.

robotrock

Banned
Just got back.

It was delightful. A few scenes in the movie are pure disney magic. The animal sidekick is mildly annoying at worst, kinda funny at best. I love Moana and Maui, the music and animation were great. An A- movie. Some of the jokes were 'meh'.

I rolled my eyes pretty hard at the
Twitter joke

TEJ

I wouldn't say that Moana is bland or has no arc. She's trying to prove her worth, save her village, and while not super complex it is there.

She is a fun character.

Maui has a better arc.

Also there is no traditional Disney villain. It has villains, one even
has a song.

But they aren't a twist villain nor are they in the film much...they just aren't the main focus of the film. 95% of the film is the journey.

alemmon

His opinion is incorrect.

I agree. I think Moana has plenty of character building, and you should not compare her to Rey. Some of Rey's qualities (I think) derive from her mystery. You know who Moana is and its her personalty that shines forth. I really enjoyed her as a character and I think the songs she sings give people a great idea of who she is.

Moana as a character is utterly excellent. Dude on Twitter doesn't know what he's talking about. I loved that she actually got shit done and genuinely wanted to eventually lead her people.

Compare her to Ariel (different era, I know), who wanted to straight up leave her kingdom behind. Her "want" is all about leaving and seeing the human world (and getting with that cute human). Moana does want to see the ocean and what lies beyond, but her main driving force is
saving her people and the world.
She's not seeking to escape responsibility whatsoever.

Malyse

Moana as a character is utterly excellent. Dude on Twitter doesn't know what he's talking about. I loved that she actually got shit done and genuinely wanted to eventually lead her people.

Compare her to Ariel (different era, I know), who wanted to straight up leave her kingdom behind. Her "want" is all about leaving and seeing the human world (and getting with that cute human). Moana does want to see the ocean and what lies beyond, but her main driving force is

It's also about self realization. Moana goes from
this is what the ocean wants
to
this is what I want.
That's why "I am Moana" hits like it did.

And it seems like it's calling out to me
So come find me
And let me know
What's beyond that line, will I cross that line?

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
It calls me

becomes

And the call isn't out there at all, it's inside me
It's like the tide; always falling and rising
I will carry you here in my heart you'll remind me
That come what may
I know the way
I am Moana!

It's also about self realization. Moana goes from
this is what the ocean wants
to
this is what I want.
That's why "I am Moana" hits like it did.

And it seems like it's calling out to me
So come find me
And let me know
What's beyond that line, will I cross that line?

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
It calls me

becomes

And the call isn't out there at all, it's inside me
It's like the tide; always falling and rising
I will carry you here in my heart you'll remind me
That come what may
I know the way
I am Moana!

"I Am Moana" unfortunately won't win the best song Oscar, but I think it's an incredible and beautiful song. The only song I like more is "We Know the Way," but
it's pretty separated from the characters' story and really only provides (albeit important) exposition.
"I Am Moana" is an awesome character song and moment in the movie. Either way, both songs give me the same kind of chills I get when hearing an emotionally high song from Hamilton or hearing "The Circle of Life".

Oozer3993

Moana made bank on Tuesday night:

Kicking off the Thanksgiving holiday break with gusto, Disney’s animated adventure “Moana” opened with plenty of box office power and took in $2.6 million at Tuesday night preview showings starting at 7 p.m. in North America.

The “Moana” gross doubled the $1.3 million Tuesday preview record set last year by Disney’s “The Good Dinosaur.” It’s also far above the $1.2 million preview gross from “Frozen,” the $1.4 million Thursday preview total for “Big Hero 6” and the $1.7 million Thursday preview for “Zootopia” in March.

traveler

Not Wario
Let's ignore the insane amount of reviews that say she's a wonderful, charming role model for everyone and let's listen to this random guy on twitter. Makes sense.

Haven't seen the movie so I can't give my own input, but she could be all the things you wrote AND he could still be right. (In fact, many parents might prefer to hold up a character without flaws or a rough patch as a role model to their children rather than someone with potentially bad tendencies from time to time)

I think another arc to her character is that she goes from dependent to fully independent at the end of the movie.
Even in the middle of the movie with Maui she's still somewhat dependent on him because she thinks she needs him to restore the heart, and then she realizes she can do it herself.

Leeness

Seeing this on Friday.

Listened to the soundtrack like 15 times already tho...

You're welcome.

Love how he just starts sneaking in that he's stealing her boat at the end of the song.

And thank you!

Seeing this on Friday.

Listened to the soundtrack like 15 times already tho...

You're welcome.

Love how he just starts sneaking in that he's stealing her boat at the end of the song.

And thank you!

I loved the song by itself and it's even better in the film once you see the full context and how Maui and Moana move during the song.The animation on the last third of You're Welcome has to be seen to be believed.
It almost felt like Paper Mario with how the 2D cutout drawings and backgrounds interacted with the fully 3D characters of Moana and Maui. It was absolutely joy to see that colorful 2D style suddenly take over the scene.
I never wanted it to end.

Malyse

I just, I really want Moana to beat Frozen. That would mean so much. Plus it would tell Disney that they can have representation without sacrificing profits.

Altazor

fucking hell, this one is released on January over here. And, of course, it's gonna be the dubbed version. Meh.

Saw it tonight, thought it was awesome! The setting/lore and the characters were great. Was not a fan of the chicken though.

Also the songs were really good! Lin-Manuel Miranda is probably gonna be around Disney for a long time after this.

Really enjoyed Zootopia earlier in the year but I might end up liking this one better.

I just, I really want Moana to beat Frozen. That would mean so much. Plus it would tell Disney that they can have representation without sacrificing profits.

Eh, I certainly wouldn't mind if that actually happened, but Frozen still deserves what it earned at the box office.

Malyse

Eh, I certainly wouldn't mind if that actually happened, but Frozen still deserves what it earned at the box office.
Moana >> Frozen
Anyway, I am here to tell you that Disney’s latest release Moana has better music than "Frozen." It has a better hero than "Frozen." The plot is more well developed than the one in "Frozen." "Moana" should be considered the studio’s new gold standard!

mrkgoo

Can't wait untithis comes out here. Looking forward to taking my daughter to it.

Here's hoping she's a good role model!

Just came back from watching the movie with my gf, and I freaking loved it....she was shocked I was enjoying myself so much ...im not usually big on Disney princesses movies, but this was dope...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom