• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian Has An Exclusive Slow Motion Mode (Sub 10 FPS) On Base PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQINg_uAGzE

The Last Guardian is a fantastic game, but it does suffer from poor framerates. This was the worst example. We had to turn the PS4 off and back on to fix it.

And considering the tech analysis by Digital Foundry, how did such a technical mess get a pass from Sony. This is unacceptable.

Sony, please fix The Last Guardian on the base PS4 or kiss your business good bye.

98b39b21ff008afaa5cba1e79fc611b2ddb64b3f44f57e792397c517768f4433.jpg

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
They should have taken more time

StereoVsn

Well, that's frankly inexcusable. I understand having some framerate drops but this is going way off. And people complaint about FFXV. Huh that's nothing. This is unpaid xhand d Fallout 4 on PS4 (or maybe Xbone) bad.

Kill3r7

That has to be a bug. I think DF's take on it is a more fair representation. That said, playing it on the PRO seems to be the way to go for the best overall experience.

A-V-B

Slow motion mode? Are they for real? WTF? I got a PS4 for this game! I'm not also buying a pro now!

This is clearly a bug, evidenced by the fact that they say restarting their PS4 fixed it.

I'm not excusing it, but we don't know which version of the game this is captured from (it's been patched twice since review codes got sent out) and how often this issue occurred.

I haven't experienced this myself.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's like a double cinematic mode.

Maybe it's there so you can take your time when you're struggling with the controls.

Flui111

Banned
Wait for the fans to say that this is an experience and that it follows in the steps of other Team Ico games

Flui111

Banned
Seems like a bug.

Also, I weep for people these days and their fixation on framerates.

" I weep for people these days and their fixation on framerates"

So i should just suck it up if i want to play a game that's actually smooth and has a stable framerate?? Do people think before they post sometimes?

MrHoot

Sounds like a bug for sure. Multiple people, including myself who played through the whole game never experienced this. Hopefully it's later fixed. Anyway it seems like a reset fixes it for now

Aretak

The video in the OP is clearly a bug. Somebody even stated in the review thread that performance was fine for them in the same area. It still needs to be fixed of course, but it's hardly representative of the game's normal performance.

DF verdict:

Overall, it's no surprise that the best way to play The Last Guardian is on PlayStation 4 Pro, but it's still a shame the original PS4 struggles as much as it does. The 20-30fps performance profile is a clear upgrade over the 'cinematic' presentation seen in Shadow of the Colossus, but it's still way off the pace compared to what we've come to expect from a modern PS4 title.

After such a protracted development stretch, the conclusion is that PlayStation 4 Pro comes across as the only machine capable of delivering the ideal experience. Whether that's in aid of a solid 30fps, or boosting image quality for 4K displays, its higher specs are seemingly a better fit for the game's ambitions. It often leaves the standard console trailing behind, and from our perspective, we feel that the 1080p30 Pro mode is the best way to experience the game.

So, after nine years, the wait is finally over. It speaks to the quality of The Last Guardian's art direction that its visuals hold up so well on current-gen hardware - and there is the sense that the wait has been worth it. This is an experience quite like any other, and not even some frustrating camera issues can detract from a beautiful, magical experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom