• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Scorpio will have a console price point, not compete with high-end rigs

leeh

After an interview with AusGamers:
Phil Spencer said:
When you talk to me about Scorpio, the term I use about the architecture isn’t the six teraflops which is obviously what we’ve announced, it’s balance. Really what it is, is you want a platform that is balanced between memory bandwidth, GPU power, you know, your ability to move memory and [an] amount of memory around in many ways is more inhibiting to the performance of your game than absolute teraflops on any one of the individual pieces, and when we designed Scorpio we really thought about this balanced rig that could come together at a price-point. Like, I want Scorpio to be at a console price-point, I’m not trying to go and compete with a high-end rig. And because we’re building one spec, we’re able to look at the balance between all the components and make sure that it’s something we really hit that matters to consumers and gamers.

Source: http://wccftech.com/scorpio-isnt-trying-compete-high-end/

What's interesting to me is when he's talking about balance, and doesn't mention the CPU.

Balance me if old.

1TB version - $399
2TB version $499

Like I've said previoulsy though, us Brits are going to get fucked when it comes to the exchange rate what with 2017 being the year of Brexit.

£549 here in the UK, lol.

UKUMI0

I find it interesting that the price of a "premium" console is expected to cost less then the latest iPhone.

How does that work?

I really wish that Phil would stop giving vague answers about price here. I understand if he can't talk about it yet, but in that case... don't talk about it!

Otnopolit

Microsoft messaging has been so all over the place about this thing. I will know the price tag when I see it and not make assumptions, because you guys are right: consoles have been very expensive in the past and there is nothing clear about this system yet.

psyfi

Banned
I don't see myself going above $400, personally. I think that's about the most I could ever talk myself into spending on a console.

I fully expect Halo 6 to sell me on this thing.

rrc1594

I'm so over this conversation, pleases have an event already and show the price. We can talk about what really matters the games. Like where the fuck is Scalebound!? You showed it off like twice and both times it was underwhelming. Hopefully it's 60 frames on Scorpio.

jdmonmou

Really anxious for the digital foundry reviews to see if this thing can hit 4K 60 FPS on most games at a $400 price point.

In Holiday 2017, 6Tflops will be a standard you will reach with really affordable GPUs. RX480 which is sold for 200€/$ already hit that target. So yes, I doubt the price will be that high.

I find it interesting that the price of a "premium" console is expected to cost less then the latest iPhone.

How does that work?

One is generally seen as a non essential toy consumers while the other is necessary for day to day life.

Also in the US carriers subsidize the phones so they appear to be cheaper than their actual $700+ price points

Kremzeek

Since a "high end rig" is $1,000+, I don't think anyone ever thought Scorpio would cost that much.

Vague PR is vague.

PlayerOne

Banned
It is going to be $399, but at that point the much-touted 4K and HDR won't be able to help it. Pro will be cheaper, PS4 will be way cheaper, and people will be content with 1080p non-HDR gaming.

What has helped Xbone and Xbone Slim were the crazy price cuts. If they sold on par with PS4's price, they will not outsell it.

Top Bottom