• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Scorpio will have a console price point, not compete with high-end rigs

Adam_802

I remember when some people said they though Scorpio would be over a grand haha

But yeah 400-450 sounds about right to me.

Bl@de

In Holiday 2017, 6Tflops will be a standard you will reach with really affordable GPUs. RX480 which is sold for 200€/$ already hit that target. So yes, I doubt the price will be that high.

I agree. A high end price for 6TF in late 2017 would be a joke. Everything above 399€ is too much in my opinion.

Voras

I don't get why the keep bringing up price if they're not ready to announce the price, it just fuels more speculation. I'm sure part of it is that interviewers are asking about it but they could easily stick to a "we will announce the price at a later date" and be done with it. Giving vague allusions to price range doesn't seem helpful. I mean he says it's going to have a console price point? I doubt many people seriously thought that it wouldn't, seeing as how it's a console.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hasn't he said this like 8 times in almost imperceivabley different ways?

It will cost a premium, but wont be crazy overpriced..

I don't understand why each statement gets its own thread... Unless I am missing something.

But what do I care? I am probably going to buy it regardless of price. The Pro has started something great.

DrewDawg

Neo Member
MSFT could price the Scorpio as a loss leader to undercut Sony. I'm betting $399 to match PS4 Pro, but who knows, they've been very secretive about their console.

faint.

I think $499, at least right now, is realistic. If Sony drops the price of the Pro next year I could see $399 being a base SKU, with $449 being the more compelling SKU.

I really feel like Sony is going to decide the price of Scorpio, unless Microsoft plans a VERY heavy marketing push with the additional power being worth $100 more.

It is going to be $399, but at that point the much-touted 4K and HDR won't be able to help it. Pro will be cheaper, PS4 will be way cheaper, and people will be content with 1080p non-HDR gaming.

What has helped Xbone and Xbone Slim were the crazy price cuts. If they sold on par with PS4's price, they will not outsell it.

If the extra power results in better performance and IQ for every game then it would be a good price point. The problem with the pro is that it's too limited a console for a pro device. I have a feeling all games on the Scorpio will benefit even without patches like a PC

see5harp

Man if we will have waited a full year for some old ass dusty CPU, I may just have to pass. Jesus what in the fuck would take them that long to produce?

Really anxious for the digital foundry reviews to see if this thing can hit 4K 60 FPS on most games at a $400 price point.

I do think we'll see 4K 60fps games (FM7, KI patch etc...), but I doubt we see a ton of them. I think we'll see a lot of 4K dynamic resolution games that will eventually be 4K all of the time on whatever console comes after Scorpio. MS seems to be setting themselves up for the future with most of the their decisions lately.

Gator86

Quite, says a whole lot of absolute nothing.

He says "hey, remember the new Xbox coming!" That's why he continually pops up to say jackshit nothing. Pick away at Sony at the low end with firesale price Xbone S deals and endlessly muse about the magic of the Scorpio that is all things to all people to try and keep the high end away from Sony.

PS3 was a console at $599.

And no company currently in the console business, Sony included, would dream of introducing that pricetag again. $499 is probably the highest SKU with a 2TB drive for power users. 500/1TB models will likely be available in the $399/449 range. PS4pro will be $299-$349 easily next holiday season 2017, and the xbox one slim/ps4 slim $199-249. Scorpio at $399-499 will be 'premium' pricing compared to the other market offerings at the time of release.

If there's a $599 'power' SKU, it will be bundled with the elite controller.

Chobel

For all people saying 1TB version - $399 and 2TB version $499, why the hell would 2TB SKU be +$100 more expensive? Currently, The difference between 1TB and 2TB SKUs is $50.

I think they'll go $499 with the Scorpio, keep the X1S at either $249 or $200, and let the free market decide which direction they'll go. They'll probably keep the X1S at $200 and just continually lower the Scorpio's price.

Either way, X1S has really great marketing & word of mouth - dropping that entirely would be a huge mistake.

UKUMI0

Perceived value from the user.

One is generally seen as a non essential toy consumers while the other is necessary for day to day life.

Also in the US carriers subsidize the phones so they appear to be cheaper than their actual $700+ price points

Thanks for the answers, the second post I understand, but the first post I find annoying (not you particularly but the idea) because personally I would rather pay the same price as an iPhone for a decently powered console, though going by the replies in this thread, I'm in the minority on this one.

He says "hey, remember the new Xbox coming!" That's why he continually pops up to say jackshit nothing. Pick away at Sony at the low end with firesale price Xbone S deals and endlessly muse about the magic of the Scorpio that is all things to all people to try and keep the high end away from Sony.

Or maybe this is one of his Q&A from interview, the interview is about many things, Scorpio is just one of them.
http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3564591
Or you think Phil shouldn't answer anything at all?

Depends greatly on what other innards it has besides the GPU. 12 GB GDDR5 seems likely, and those might fit in a 399$ price if they're still using Jaguar and a slow HDD. Honestly though, if it comes out with Jaguar, even slightly improved over Pro, it's a waste of time in my opinion. If it comes with at least Excavator cores or preferrably Zen, that could be worth 499$. It does sound like though they're not going too crazy with it so I don't think we'll see an SSD as a default option. Maybe next refresh cycle we'll finally move on from mechanical drives.

I think $499, at least right now, is realistic. If Sony drops the price of the Pro next year I could see $399 being a base SKU, with $449 being the more compelling SKU.

I really feel like Sony is going to decide the price of Scorpio, unless Microsoft plans a VERY heavy marketing push with the additional power being worth $100 more.

It's good that Sony priced the Pro at $399, because it basically forces MS to not price this above $500, as it's likely that the console from Sony will be $349 by next year. I don't think they were going to anyway, but this pressure is good for consumers.

And no company currently in the console business, Sony included, would dream of introducing that pricetag again. $499 is probably the highest SKU with a 2TB drive for power users. 500/1TB models will likely be available in the $399/449 range. PS4pro will be $299-$349 easily next holiday season 2017, and the xbox one slim/ps4 slim $199-249. Scorpio at $399-499 will be 'premium' pricing compared to the other market offerings at the time of release.

If there's a $599 'power' SKU, it will be bundled with the elite controller.

This are exactly my thoughts. A $399 option and I am there day one, even if they push it to $429 I would. At $499 not so sure.

PlayerOne

Banned
If the extra power results in better performance and IQ for every game then it would be a good price point. The problem with the pro is that it's too limited a console for a pro device. I have a feeling all games on the Scorpio will benefit even without patches like a PC

It will be, but people won't care much about it.

If it were that big a gap from the PS4, it won't be that big a gap from the Pro and Pro will be cheaper by then. People will most likely opt to go for Pro at that point.

If they can tout 60 fps on everything but if the price difference between Scorpio and Pro will be $50-$100, plus tax effectively making it $80-$120 depending on where you live? People will go for Pro over Scorpio, and at that point in time Sony can offer bundles with Pro. Microsoft will probably bundle some old game with it, or newer game for $449.

Head.spawn

Hasn't he said this like 8 times in almost imperceivabley different ways?

It will cost a premium, but wont be crazy overpriced..

I don't understand why each statement gets its own thread... Unless I am missing something.

But what do I care? I am probably going to buy it regardless of price. The Pro has started something great.

Pretty much.

Am I going crazy or is it from the same website everytime (ausgamers)? Are they holding weekly fucking interviews with them or something? Or maybe when they were in Australia they sent like 10 different reporters to interview them and ask the same questions over and over.

KORNdoggy

Yeah, guessing $599 max. I'm leaning a bit towards $499 though.

i think $499 seems likely. if they're smart they'll maybe eat some losses for the sake of sales and match the current Pro launch price (although by that point the pro may have a reduced price?). any more than $500 and it'll price itself out of the market.

SpecX

For all people saying 1TB version - $399 and 2TB version $499, why the hell would 2TB SKU be +$100 more expensive? Currently, The difference between 1TB and 2TB SKUs is $50.

Sorry this is off topic, but LMAO at your tag. I moused over it and it gets worse and worse and worse :p

OryoN

$499 absolute max. They'd have learned from the launch PS3 debacle, and stay well south of it.

$399 if they're willing to take a hit for the first year until profitable. Because of the large XB1 base, breaking even may come way sooner than previous launches.

I'm personally going with $429.99 because I feel they may milk first adopters a little, on launch, before reducing price very shortly after launch.

Playsage

I hope for them they are not planning on showing it at E3 'cause a clear explanation on this thing is gonna take a lot of showtime.
Meanwhile, Sony is gonna pull another 'E3 2016'

Give me split screen for Halo 6 with all that power and I'll replace my Xbox Ones and buy 2.

I do like the idea of Microsoft really pushing to have the best hardware. Even if you are strictly a PlayStation or Nintendo supporter, this is good for consumers as it drives competition. Same reason I'm excited to see how the Nintendo Switch sales perform.

Capsov

Such a non-news story, they have said this from the beginning. No one expects it to compete with high end PCS.

kadotsu

Banned
It will be $400 with a $500 founder's edition. The 12 months should be enough to get production cost down enough. Scorpio isn't what I would call high end based on the few specs we got.

Top Bottom