• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Scorpio will have a console price point, not compete with high-end rigs

If Microsoft does go the $500 route, I may just pick up a PS4 Pro.

Not because I'm unwilling to pay that, but because they have refused to learn from their mistakes. Microsoft wasn't even able to sell consoles at that price point when they were the clear market leader. What would make them think they could do it now?

I could see them go $500 ($499 in other words) on this one, if they are serious about "TRUE 4K" then I don't really see them wiggling their way to $399 on it.

But hey, I'm more than happy to be wrong of course.

onQ123

In Holiday 2017, 6Tflops will be a standard you will reach with really affordable GPUs. RX480 which is sold for 200€/$ already hit that target. So yes, I doubt the price will be that high.

RX480 isn't 6TF , doesn't have 320GB/s memory & isn't part of a SoC/APU also people speculate that Scorpio will have 12GB of ram.

It is going to be $399, but at that point the much-touted 4K and HDR won't be able to help it. Pro will be cheaper, PS4 will be way cheaper, and people will be content with 1080p non-HDR gaming.

What has helped Xbone and Xbone Slim were the crazy price cuts. If they sold on par with PS4's price, they will not outsell it.

Well of course MS want to sell lots but really this new box is needed for those who play Xbox but want higher resolutions and to keep up with UHDTVs that are becoming standard. Sony has PS4 for mostly 1080p and Pro for higher. MS can't keep going with its 720-900p box.

PS3 was a console at $599.

Keep in mind the $599 price point existed because Sony was selling them at a $400 loss and packing them with a BluRay reader that was still considered brand new and cutting edge tech. Don't forget, when the PS3 came out dedicated BR players were selling at costs higher than $600.

UKUMI0

Probably as many times as journalist keep asking.

Seriously, some people don't get it, its not like Phil walks up to random people on the street hoping they'll print whatever he says, people keep asking him the same stuff (usually with a slightly different angle) and so we keep getting the same answers.

hodgy100

considering the price range between the most expensive console in recent history ( the X1 in the uk @ £430 ) and the cost of a "high end rig" (£800+) this statement really means nothing.

PlayerOne

Banned
I've been saying this for months, but it will start at $400. Anything more is suicide.

It will be $399, but at that point everything else will be cheaper and no one will give a crap about 4K/HDR.

Microsoft will focus on graphics come E3 2016 and Sony will focus on the barrage of games that will come our way. People will not care about Gears 4 in 4K/HDR/60fps when over the other side of the fence you've got The Last of Us Part II coming out and God Of War and Spidey, even at 1080p 30fps.

Chris1

It will be $399, but at that point everything else will be cheaper and no one will give a crap about 4K/HDR.

Microsoft will focus on graphics come E3 2016 and Sony will focus on the barrage of games that will come our way. People will not care about Gears 4 in 4K/HDR/60fps when over the other side of the fence you've got The Last of Us Part II coming out and God Of War and Spidey, even at 1080p 30fps.

Yea cause they're gonna advertise year olds games as their main showcase running in 4K.

I mean fuck Crackdown, Forza 7, Scalebound, Sea of Thieves and other more recent games right. Who cares about whatever they're releasing in 2018 too? It's all about that 2016 Gears of War.

Im guessing its more than 399.00. He wouldn't be setting it up this way if not. 449-499 seem plausible.Why keep saying its going to be more expensive then say nevermind fuckers I was joking. Would not the smart thing be to say all along that it is going to be priced competitively if this was the case.

Madness

$399-$449 with those specs seems like a good idea. It will be a more hardcore focused console like an Elite controller. But you would see more people upgrade to it because of the massive improvement you would see from base Xbox One to Xbox One Scorpio.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Yeah because all they're going to focus on is Scorpio and not any games coming out at the same time. Come on.

Cornbread78

1TB version - $399
2TB version $499

Like I've said previoulsy though, us Brits are going to get fucked when it comes to the exchange rate what with 2017 being the year of Brexit.

£549 here in the UK, lol.

How big are the game files going to be with really high end graphics on the machine?

Lothars

Im guessing its more than 399.00. He wouldn't be setting it up this way if not. 449-499 seem plausible.Why keep saying its going to be more expensive then say nevermind fuckers I was joking. Would not the smart thing be to say all along that it is going to be priced competitively if this was the case.
Yup it's never going to be 399, I still think it will be 499.

I wonder if Microsoft is second guessing revealing this thing a year and a half before launch. Seems like people love to talk about it, Microsoft still talks about it, and we are still about a year away from launch.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has a product on the market they are trying to sell, but many quotes lately seem to be about Scorpio. I am not sure they are actually wanting to talk about it this much considering they haven't really revealed a thing since their official reveal. So much is still a mystery, so people keep asking about it, but right now, all we get is 4K, 6.5 TF, and Premium Product Pricing.

Its all been a weird reveal and PR since in my opinion. We keep getting Scorpio quotes from Spencer, all basically saying what we already know. I think that could be part of revealing a product so early.

Sheroking

Would be fucking hilarious to price at Five hundred dollars and 99 cents.

No game console ever will be priced at that again because of the meme status of 599 US Dollars.

I fully expect this to be $499 and for fans to be upset, though. I don't see how they sell this hardware at <400 bucks.

Duxxy3

PS4 Pro drops to $299 in October. Scorpio releases in November at $399. PS4 slim and XB1S widely available for $179 on black Friday.

That's what I'm going with.

RibMan

It's looking like it's going to come in at $399.99. The problem for Microsoft won't be what they price Scorpio at. It will be the price of competing products, in this case, the price of the PS4 slim, the PS4 Pro, and the Switch.

Yea cause they're gonna advertise year olds games as their main showcase running in 4K.

I mean fuck Crackdown, Forza 7, Scalebound, Sea of Thieves and other more recent games right. Who cares about whatever they're releasing in 2018 too? It's all about that 2016 Gears of War.

don't forget the #sarcasm tag

speedomodel

$399 would be a great price for base model w/ 500 GB. I'd snag that in a heartbeat.

Hell, would probably grab the upgraded model depending on the premium.

Cleve

499 was not a good price point for the xbox. I imagine scorpio will come in at $399, with maybe a premium sku as Microsoft are fond of with a bigger drive.

inner-G

Banned
No mention of cpu...guess that means more 30 fps games :(
It take seriously beefy hardware to game at 4K/60

I have an overclocked i5 and GTX 1080, and there are games where I have to reduce settings to get 4K/60. I can't imagine most AAA stuff will be both native 4K and 60fps on a system at a console price point.

statham

I wonder if Microsoft is second guessing revealing this thing a year and a half before launch. Seems like people love to talk about it, Microsoft still talks about it, and we are still about a year away from launch.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has a product on the market they are trying to sell, but many quotes lately seem to be about Scorpio. I am not sure they are actually wanting to talk about it this much considering they haven't really revealed a thing since their official reveal. So much is still a mystery, so people keep asking about it, but right now, all we get is 4K, 6.5 TF, and Premium Product Pricing.

Its all been a weird reveal and PR since in my opinion. We keep getting Scorpio quotes from Spencer, all basically saying what we already know. I think that could be part of revealing a product so early.

I think its working out very well for them, the S is selling very well, and all this talk is keeping Scorpio in the news. and its not negative news.

Rolf NB

It was announced to stop people from buying PS4s and to tamper exitement about PS4Pro. That only works in absence of a price announcement.

RedAssedApe

Banned
how much was the 3DO at launch? i remember buying that thing from Gamestop for around $399 with like 7 games because no one was buying it lol

edit: fucking $699...LOL

Top Bottom