• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV is already being discounted in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

horuhe

Since the Media Create numbers were released there were lots of comparison with the other mainline titles in Japan, and news about about the shipped numbers of FFXV.

So, assuming a million units of copies shipped in Japan, and the game being released on Tuesday, we have a very frontloaded game, in terms of sales.

0Jbmqxz.jpg

At some stores in Japan, particularly in DORAMA Stores, FFXV is being discounted. The Regular Edition is at 5,980yen (originally 8,800yen) and the Deluxe Edition is at 9980yen (originally at 12,960yen). There are also quite a bit amount of second hand copies, so this time will be very difficult to sell all the units shipped to retailers. The biggest online e-commerce website in Japan, Rakuten, also has the game at 20% of discount.

Manu

BOMBA

Final Fantasy had a good run

Well, duh, game sucks so this was obvious

FFXVI to be mobile confirmed

There, getting these out of the way so we can have an actual discussion instead.

This is pretty standard for Japanese games. Price cuts come quick!

Keep in mind, that's $52 and $87 USD for the standard and deluxe editions in Japan AFTER the discount.

Considering you can get the game for 20% less with Amazon Prime in Canada & US (I don't know for Japan) as long as two weeks after launch and for all the preorder period, maybe they are just trying to stay on par with competitors ?

Makes sense. We shouldn't have to pay full price for a game that isn't finished yet. The DLC will re-coup any money lost.

Now if they really want that Japanese money, bring on the
rumored
60fps FFXIII trilogy remaster.

lightningreturnsSnow.gif

Also to be fair, you can get the game discounted in the US at Best Buy and Amazon, but get that controversial thread with your smear campaign OP.

BOMBA

Final Fantasy had a good run

Well, duh, game sucks so this was obvious

FFXVI to be mobile confirmed

There, getting these out of the way so we can have an actual discussion instead.

Interestingly they are making more games in my style in the mobile space than they are in the console space

My opinions on mobile games have been changing drastically over the last year

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
...what about the upcoming DLC and patches ? Japan doesnt care.

Toth

People are desperate for ANYTHING to bash this game, aren't they?

This happens with ALL Japanese games not named Pokemon. FF13 was the same way a week later IIRC

Sakura

Since the Media Create numbers were released there were lots of comparison with the other mainline titles in Japan, and news about about the shipped numbers of FFXV.

So, assuming a million units of copies shipped in Japan, and the game being released on Tuesday, we have a very frontloaded game, in terms of sales.

At some stores in Japan, particularly in DORAMA Stores, FFXV is being discounted. The Regular Edition is at 5980yen and the Deluxe Edition is at 9980yen. There are also quite a bit amount of second hand copies, so this time will be very difficult to sell all the units shipped to retailers. The biggest online e-commerce website in Japan, Rakuten, also has the game at 20% of discount.
Do my eyes deceive me or is the brand new copy only 100 yen more than the used copy?

kswiston

Makes sense. We shouldn't have to pay full price for a game that isn't finished yet. The DLC will re-coup any money lost.

From my understanding, there is no money lost on S-E's part. Japanese stores can't return unsold stock, and there was still enough copies remaining from that initial shipment that it was probably going to be a one and done game until the budget/complete edition re-release.

Japan console market is suffering,
I do hope people in Japan wake up and get a taste of their own medicine.

^ This is so confusing, but I get it :)

Considering you can get the game for 20% less with Amazon Prime in Canada & US (I don't know for Japan) as long as two weeks after launch and for all the preorder period, maybe they are just trying to stay on par with competitors ?

No, the series has clearly bombed and will never recover. Abandon all hope. /s

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

This happens with ALL Japanese games not named Pokemon. FF13 was the same way a week later IIRC

Shhhh, don't let that get in the way of the "FFXV is a failure" narrative.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

When you don't know how things work in Japan, you don't.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Has there been any reports of feedback from the Japanese players?

I'm enjoying it myself, despite the flaws and reptitiveness, it doesn't seem to stray too far from what they'd typically enjoy.

Lol

FF13 deserved the table flip it received on its own merits alone

Jury is still out on FF15

At the very least opinions are mixed

That said I already have several issues with it from the outset but its a huge game with a lot of content so im withholding any judgements beyond my initial impressions

Whoa! Such a big bomba. Lets all laugh at FFXV for being a big failure because every other game in Japan doesn't get discounted, right?

WW vs Japan.

Also 700k copies sold in first week in Japan only – I mean it's still a good number.

Its a great number considering how many ps4 are in peoples homes

It might have more to do with PS4 than FF15 itself but we wont know for sure for awhile yet

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The Regular Edition is at 5,980yen (originally 8,800yen) and the Deluxe Edition is at 9980yen (originally at 12,960yen). There are also quite a bit amount of second hand copies, so this time will be very difficult to sell all the units shipped to retailers. The biggest online e-commerce website in Japan, Rakuten, also has the game at 20% of discount.
Selling games cheaper than MSRP is normal here and happens with all games in most stores since the release - Yakuza 6, which came out today has been 20% off on Amazon since the beginning.

The price is lower than the release one (unless drama is that much cheaper than Geo) - which was iirc 7200 yen (plus tax, but this one probably doesn't have tax included as well). So yeah, game is being sold for cheaper, but hardly a crazy sale, I think.

kswiston

Its a great number considering how many ps4 are in peoples homes

It might have more to do with PS4 than FF15 itself but we wont know for sure for awhile yet

Fewer PS4 gamers in Japan were interested in the game than PS3 gamers were when FF13 released. PS4 is at about 90% of the install base that PS3 had when FF13 came out, but FF15's first week was down about 50%.

Toth

Lol

FF13 deserved the table flip it received on its own merits alone

Jury is still out on FF15

At the very least opinions are mixed

That said I already have several issues with it from the outset but its a huge game with a lot of content so im withholding any judgements beyond my initial impressions

Well, I wasn't commenting on FF13's quality, just that these type of games get discounted really quickly.

Velkyn

I really don't care about Japanese numbers, I knew with the decline of the console market and the open world, this wouldn't sell well in Japan, so this is just confirming my theories. What I really want to see is the WW numbers.

Toth

Selling games cheaper than MSRP is normal here and happens with all games in most stores since the release - Yakuza 6, which came out today has been 20% off on Amazon since the beginning.

The price is lower than the release one (unless drama is that much cheaper than Geo) - which was iirc 7200 yen (plus tax, but this one probably doesn't have tax included as well). So yeah, game is being sold for cheaper, but hardly a crazy sale, I think.

STOP RUINING THE "FFXV IS A FAILURE, HERE'S WHY" NARRATIVE.

Fewer PS4 gamers in Japan were interested in the game than PS3 gamers were when FF13 released. PS4 is at about 90% of the install base that PS3 had when FF13 came out, but FF15's first week was down about 50%.

Ho boy

Not much to spin there

But much like Sony Im guessing SE is more interested in courting the global market with this one right?

I mean its basically a western game with japanese stand in content

notaskwid

In other news, every other game released in the last 2 weeks is already being discounted at Japanese retail stores.

Ploid 3.0

Any crazy deals in the US yet? I'll be waiting for a price in the $30s at the most. Checked Amazon but they are full price it seem.

Square-Enix better hurry up with that DQXI PS4.

Yeah they have such a huge mountain of products and market presence in all areas with more on the horizon

Maybe FFXV performing modestly isnt that big of a deal

Based on their current portfolio and upcoming games I dont really see a huge concern though im guessing the narrative will be one of doom and gloom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom