• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV is already being discounted in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we are talking about the Japanese market we can already conclude it's a
commercial
failure, it's difficult to spin it in any other way.

I didn't know having the best week one sales of any PS4 game in Japan is a commercial failure.

If that's the case, every game in Japan has been failing. Japan should just pack up and go home.
/s

I find it hard to believe FFXVs performance critically or commercially is closer to "Satisfied" than "Disappointed"

Well this is just Japan

SE is much more a global presence than ever before at this point

Will it be that bad in the big picture if all their mobile and DQ properties cash in at the homeland while everything else does well overseas?

Oregano

Yeah they have such a huge mountain of products and market presence in all areas with more on the horizon

Maybe FFXV performing modestly isnt that big of a deal

Based on their current portfolio and upcoming games I dont really see a huge concern though im guessing the narrative will be one of doom and gloom

Square Enix has had failure after failure on consoles. Pretty much everything has bombed this year.

This "Everything is fine" narrative is just as silly as "Omg FF/Japan/Square Enix is doomed!".

Toth

I didn't know having the best week one sales of any PS4 game in Japan is a commercial failure.

If that's the case, every game in Japan has been failing. Japan should just pack up and go home.
/s

It's still topics like this, and all this sudden vitriol for FF 15 (after a very positive review thread) that have been disgusting to say the least.

dracula_x

/s

yep

Ōkami;226188963 said:
So.

Best selling games of the year so far (just retail) Jan 4 to Dec 4

01. [3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon - 2.553.150
02. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura - 1.311.680
03. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV - 716.649
04. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - 609.603
05. [3DS] Yo-kai Sangokushi - 545.653
06. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot - 448.722
07. [PS4] Persona 5 - 353.882
08. [PS4] Dark Souls III - 321.931
09. [WIU] Splatoon - 310.181
10. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition - 289.875

It's a terrible number when the last comparable entry did 1.5m first week.

FFXIII released 7 years ago. Market is much different now.

kswiston

Ho boy

Not much to spin there

But much like Sony Im guessing SE is more interested in courting the global market with this one right?

I mean its basically a western game with japanese stand in content

Well, based on shipment estimates, only around 20% that 5M shipped + digital number came from Japan.

Japan hasn't had more than a ~40% share of the worldwide total since FFIX though. I think they ended up accounting for about 30% of FFXIII. Less with the PC version.

ethomaz

Banned
From my understanding, there is no money lost on S-E's part. Japanese stores can't return unsold stock, and there was still enough copies remaining from that initial shipment that it was probably going to be a one and done game until the budget/complete edition re-release.
Retail can return unsold stock to retail... that already happened even with hardware.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Square Enix has had failure after failure on consoles. Pretty much everything has bombed this year.

This "Everything is fine" narrative is just as silly as "Omg FF/Japan/Square Enix is doomed!".

Yeah, I also don't buy that people aren't categorizing comments on one corner or the other honestly. So it's a pretty unfortunate situation to discuss these sales and what they mean for the market.

Zexen

Not that surprising really, in France it's already under 50€ for the Day One edition and around 70/75€ for the Deluxe one.

Not to surprising considering the prices were at a premium level the first week. The were cut to abnormal price range.

It'd be like Call of Duty coming out the first week for $100 and the following week the price was cut to $60.

Roxkis_ii

It's still topics like this, and all this sudden vitriol for FF 15 (after a very positive review thread) that have been disgusting entertaining to say the least.

Fixed that for you.

All joking aside, can relate to this sentiment. I feel some kind of way when people make the negative street fighter V threads.

But with that said (or typed) I wish final fantasy would go back to how they used to be, with turned based battles, pre rendered backgrounds, and good stories, but I know that will never happen again most likely, so I can only enjoy crapping on their current releases that don't appeal to me while I pine for the past.

I wish square the worse of luck.

Looks guys, let me save you the trouble and tell you that any game that will be released on PS4 only will suffer a big drop going forward in Japan. Yakuza 6 is the next one to see similar drop in sales and Dragon Quest XI along with Kingdom Hearts 3 might follow in its steps.

just wait for RE7 release.
This will be a brutal drop. Ouch!

eggandI

Banned
Doesn't surprise me. The combat system is junk. I'm just hoping S-E doesn't go down under before releasing KH3

Jamix012

Its a great number considering how many ps4 are in peoples homes

It might have more to do with PS4 than FF15 itself but we wont know for sure for awhile yet

The PS4 is ahead of where the PS3 was at this point, this excuse does not hold up and it is 100% due to the game and decline of the series.

StereoVsn

Yes, FF underperformed (it's less the 50% drop since XIII didn't have digital but probably close enough). At the same time FF as a brand has lower status and this game took a long time to release.

All that said, 20% price drop is rather normal. I bought FFXV for $48 and that also gave me $10 BestBuy voucher. Total failure in US then, right?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not to surprising considering the prices were at a premium level the first week. The were cut to abnormal price range.

It'd be like Call of Duty coming out the first week for $100 and the following week the price was cut to $60.

And yet 1/5 PS4 owners in the region bought a copy... but that's bad eh /s

Another thing to factor in (albeit small, in all likelihood) is that this was a worldwide launch, not 3 months ahead of every other territory like XIII, so its not like there is any sort of export market interest here.

The PS4 is ahead of where the PS3 was at this point, this excuse does not hold up and it is 100% due to the game and decline of the series.

Yeah that appears to be the case

Man...

Im not sure what they can do here. The Japanese audience is in a very different place and maybe even worldwide too..

I know what kind of games I would like to see them make and they are going all over the place

Pygrus

But with that said (or typed) I wish final fantasy would go back to how they used to be, with turned based battles, pre rendered backgrounds, and good stories, but I know that will never happen again most likely, so I can only enjoy crapping on their current releases that don't appeal to me while I pine for the past.

This is way SF5 will never do well in the gaming market. Stop shitting on other games and maybe others will do the same to SF5.

tilomite!

I think the market is gonna keep changing as gamers age. As an adult with kids, there's no way I have time to play all the big fall releases at launch. And I know they're be cheaper just a few months down the road. I think game sales are gonna be shifted further from launch.

styl3s

This is pretty standard for Japanese games. Price cuts come quick!

Keep in mind, that's $52 and $87 USD for the standard and deluxe editions in Japan AFTER the discount.
This is with tax or without? Because with Best Buy/Amazon 20% off + my 9.25% tax this is the same price for every new $59.99 game. It's $52.43

Maybe it's because i am spoiled because i have Prime and Best Buy GCU but 20% off never feels like a discount to me because i get every new game for 20% off.

Pygrus

Because people make sells thread about Final Fantasy, Street fighter V will never do well?
Okay.

No, I'm specifically just pointing out what you said regarding not wanting to have SF5 crapped on, but then you wanting to crap on another game. Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

While I can accept that this sort of discount is standard in Japan (and thus this is a non-story), I'm having trouble following why. Is every game overstocked in that territory, thus unable to sell at full MSRP? Is the resale market already cutting into new sale copies?

Or is this literally just a retailer matching Amazon's Prime discount?

Regardless, I think this at least feeds the narrative of "FFXV is not a smash hit". It is not turning the tides, either for the franchise or Japan's console gaming market.

Gemeanie

Looks guys, let me save you the trouble and tell you that any game that will be released on PS4 only will suffer a big drop going forward in Japan. Yakuza 6 is the next one to see similar drop in sales and Dragon Quest XI along with Kingdom Hearts 3 might follow in its steps.

This will be a brutal drop. Ouch!
But nobody cares about Yakuza.

If Yakuza 0 bombs in western I'll lose faith in humanity

By the way I remember reading FFXIII dropped to 500yen a few months after release, I wonder if FFXV will be as bad?

Yasumi

Banned
Discounted even before it was out in Canada, bomba confirmed.

O98rQc4.jpg

Roxkis_ii

No, I'm specifically just pointing out what you said regarding not wanting to have SF5 crapped on, but then you wanting to crap on another game. Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

Just because I like a game doesn't mean it doesn't have faults or that people that have a problem with it aren't valid in their views.

kswiston

I think the market is gonna keep changing as gamers age. As an adult with kids, there's no way I have time to play all the big fall releases at launch. And I know they're be cheaper just a few months down the road. I think game sales are gonna be shifted further from launch.

Final Fantasy is 30 years old. It's already gone through a couple rounds of "As an adult with kids...."

Japan is going through a pretty radical change in taste/gaming habits, and the Final Fantasy brand has been diluted in the past decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom