• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV is already being discounted in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothars

Square Enix has had failure after failure on consoles. Pretty much everything has bombed this year.

This "Everything is fine" narrative is just as silly as "Omg FF/Japan/Square Enix is doomed!".
The overreaction by the people wanting it to fail is sad. that is the thing about this.

Fixed that for you.

All joking aside, can relate to this sentiment. I feel some kind of way when people make the negative street fighter V threads.

But with that said (or typed) I wish final fantasy would go back to how they used to be, with turned based battles, pre rendered backgrounds, and good stories, but I know that will never happen again most likely, so I can only enjoy crapping on their current releases that don't appeal to me while I pine for the past.

I wish square the worse of luck.
Smh why wouldn't you just ignore it?

noshten

I didn't know having the best week one sales of any PS4 game in Japan is a commercial failure.

If that's the case, every game in Japan has been failing. Japan should just pack up and go home.
/s

Persona didn't suffer a dip in sales in fact it grew and is the 3rd biggest PS4 game right now. MGSV had a drop but it was a cross gen release. MGSV overall drop was less than 20%.
Simply put the Japanese market is buying PS4s at a comparable rate to PS3 but we haven't had a titles that actually get people to buy a PS4. FFXV was supposed to be one of the guaranteed 1 million sellers unlike Persona and MGSV its exclusive in Japan to the PS4 no cross gen or vita ports. Simply put unlike MGSV and Persona the audience that bought FF in droves in Japan to make it one of the biggest console games is gone. FFXV is going to be outsold by several Wii U games in Japan. Splatoon the biggest console game this gen has more sales than the top three PS4 games combined in Japan and it's very likely that Splatoon will outsell the third biggest seller Persona in 2016.

It's nothing personal with FFXV, we've been talking about this decline for two years in MC threads.

Pygrus

Just because I like a game doesn't mean it doesn't have faults or that people that have a problem with it aren't valid in their views.

I think there is a difference between "crapping" on a game and offering constructive criticism.

kswiston

Best thing about this is it'll be like £20 in a month or two with retailers trying to get rid of stock.

No idea about the UK, but that stopped happening as frequently as it once did in Canada, even with megabombs (which FF15 is not). I think we'll get a $49.99 sale at best for Boxing Day on Dec 26th (MSRP is $79.99 in Canada).

Pygrus

What do people base this on?

Based on the word of mouth I have been hearing in my friend circle and at my work.

This game really does seem to be bringing in the FF fans and the open world western RPG fans, who may not have played FF in the past.

Roxkis_ii

The overreaction by the people wanting it to fail is sad. that is the thing about this.

Smh why wouldn't you just ignore it?

Because FF is a AAA release, so if you're interested in gaming it's kinda hard to do so.
Plus, as a pervious FF fan, I interested in how well this release does (or doesn't).

Miroku129

Changing a gameplay mechanic in one chapter is not a "heavy story tweak". The game is perfectly playable from start to finish, don't start a tempest in a teapot.

They will add cutscenes in future patches. Story cutscenes. On a game where the story is the main point.

Pygrus

They will add cutscenes in future patches. Story cutscenes. On a game where the story is the main point.

All they are doing is expanding on some things that happen off screen that the player doesn't see.

You still know about the events through written lore pieces.

The story itself is complete in the released version.

ianpm31

At least 10 people that I know personally bought it all love it including myself. Yes it has its faults but what game doesn't.

Given all the negativity from some of the ppl in this thread the game still sold 700k in its first week in Japan excluding digital. I believe ff15 has the top opening week for any ps4 game this gen in Japan.

Velkyn

Good positive buzz from word of mouth and games journos, good reviews, and complaints being isolated to hardcore enthusiast communities (and being the minority voices in these communities).

They only way you don't realize that it's a good game is if you've got blinders on and refuse to see the truth.

RyudBoy

I'm about to sell my copy already and only lose $2. The game just isn't for me. Very unlikable main characters and sluggish gameplay are two big reasons why I can't get into it.
And besides, I'm playing other stuff at the moment.

Miroku129

All they are doing is expanding on some things that happen off screen that the player doesn't see.

You still know about the events through written lore pieces.

The story itself is complete in the released version.

Many people won't buy the game day 1 because of that. After 10 years of wait and paying full price I want the story finished. From start to end. Inexcusable in my opinion.

MacTag

Banned
FFXIII released 7 years ago. Market is much different now.
Market is different but not -56% different. This isn't because of a general market decline, it's significantly greater than that.

700k is just not a good debut for a game like FFXV.

People should stop quoting numbers from FFXIII when XIII-2 and Lightning Returns are officialy the latest out, and those numbers are far less impressive too.
I guess XV-2 and X-3 will be looking at sub 300k debuts then.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I implore folks to pay heed to posts from people like kwiston and Las7 here. They've followed this stuff for years and they know what they're talking about.

There's certainly an attempted narrative RE: FFXV with some users on this site, but stats are stats. There are nearly as many PS4s in Japanese households now as there were PS3s for FFXIII. It isn't the collapse of the console market to blame here. It is the software market itself, meaning Japanese gamers are not buying Sony's games anywhere near to the degree that they bought select PS3 titles, including Final Fantasy.

Square deserves some of the blame, there, for a big 56% drop between titles. Somehow, their brand, like other brands, is no longer nearly as desirable. In this key regard, yes, Final Fantasy XV is a failure.

700k in today's software climate is still enough to get first billing. It is still the biggest number PS4 can deliver. But it shouldn't be.

People are desperate for ANYTHING to bash this game, aren't they?

This happens with ALL Japanese games not named Pokemon. FF13 was the same way a week later IIRC

Yeah this appears to be pretty common, but it's news because it's about FFXV

Guess we've gotta keep that rhetoric going somehow :D

I implore folks to pay heed to posts from people like kwiston and Las7 here. They've followed this stuff for years and they know what they're talking about.

There's certainly an attempted narrative RE: FFXV with some users on this site, but stats are stats. There are nearly as many PS4s in Japanese households now as there were PS3s for FFXIII. It isn't the collapse of the console market to blame here. It is the software market itself, meaning Japanese gamers are not buying Sony's games anywhere near to the degree that they bought select PS3 titles, including Final Fantasy.

Square deserves some of the blame, there, for a big 56% drop between titles. Somehow, their brand, like other brands, is no longer nearly as desirable. In this key regard, yes, Final Fantasy XV is a failure.

700k in today's software climate is still enough to get first billing. It is still the biggest number PS4 can deliver. But it shouldn't be.

I just want to say that the 700k number doesn't include the digital sales, and there have been reports that FFXV has had a record number of digital sales in the Asia region.

700k alone on a PS4 game in Japan is a good number (regardless of what PS3 FFs did, I am talking any PS4 game). Add in whatever the "record number of digital sales in Asia, including Japan" is and you have a very good number of sales.

Very far from a flop in Japan, people are spinning their own narratives all over the place.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah this appears to be pretty common, but it's news because it's about FFXV

Guess we've gotta keep that rhetoric going somehow :D

I agree there's a problem here with made up narratives, but the folks who have been charting the sales course in Media Create threads for years are legitimately recognizing this as a genuinely disappointing decline.

I like the game. I want to see it succeed. These numbers aren't good.

Rozart

The game was met with good reviews and, from what i've seen both online and off, seems to benefitting from good word of mouth. I have no idea why some people are acting as though this game is some critically panned abomination when the reception from both the critics and the fans have been generally positive.

Velkyn

That's an interesting angle that I hadn't considered. I'll admit to seeing the "console market ded" rhetoric and being sucked in. I guess you can't take things in a new direction and expect the same people to stick with your brand.

faridmon

I still and never will understand this craving to buy games Day 1 despite the price, technical issues and what not.

MilkBeard

Lol wtf am I reading. The game far from sucks.
dLTRFRQ.gif

I guess you missed the last line, lol.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I just want to say that the 700k number doesn't include the digital sales, and there have been reports that FFXV has had a record number of digital sales in the Asia region.

700k alone on a PS4 game in Japan is a good number (regardless of what PS3 FFs did, I am talking any PS4 game). Add in whatever the "record number of digital sales in Asia, including Japan" is and you have a very good number of sales.

Very far from a flop in Japan, people are spinning their own narratives all over the place.

I don't have a link handy, but I recall seeing people in the MC topic yesterday noting that Japan's previous digital first week record holder was 40k. Breaking that number isn't really going to accomplish much, probably. Unless it does. Which would be cool. But yeah.

I agree that 700k is very good for a PS4 game in Japan, actually. It troubles me, however, that Square has spent years outright saying they're hoping to bring the blockbuster mentality back to the market, noting they're the only ones left who can do it, only to then open with the lowest numbers since FFV.

Persona 5 sells less than 500k (approx 550k if you add in PS3 sales) from Sept 15 - Oct 2: "Persona series is on the rise, doing amazing."

FFXV sells 700k in its first week not even counting digital sales: "FF is ded."

Come on people.....

I don't have a link handy, but I recall seeing people in the MC topic yesterday noting that Japan's previous digital first week record holder was 40k. Breaking that number isn't really going to accomplish much, probably. Unless it does. Which would be cool. But yeah.

I agree that 700k is very good for a PS4 game in Japan, actually. It troubles me, however, that Square has spent years outright saying they're hoping to bring the blockbuster mentality back to the market, noting they're the only ones left who can do it, only to then open with the lowest numbers since FFV.

Fair enough. But we still don't know what it is. Call it 75k. 775k in week 1 is great compared to any other PS4 game in that region.

Miroku129

Persona 5 sells less than 500k (approx 550k if you add in PS3 sales) from Sept 15 - Oct 2: "Persona series is on the rise, doing amazing."

Come on people.....

Final Fantasy is the king of RPGs.

Persona is not.

So there's that.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Same thing happened with XIII so nothing really new honestly. Back then people were buying XIII for the XIV campaign code that was packaged with the first print edition of the game.

I clearly remember the game dropping in price pretty fast back then.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Come on people.....

I mean, expectations are totally different, and doubtless that translates to investors as well. It'd sure be something if Persona was delivering Final Fantasy digits, there or elsewhere, but companies want growth no matter the threshold.

I don't approve of the "FF is dead" rhetoric one bit, but IMO your example is rather like McDonald's losing over half its sales one year but pointing out that it performed considerably stronger than a regional fast food joint. :p

As I've already said :

Final Fantasy is dead.

This is silly.

jb1234

Come on people.....

To be fair, there's a pretty large budget difference between those two games and what each company needs to break even (much less profit). That said, there is definitely a lot of projection in this thread. While probably not ideal numbers for SE, I'm sure this won't kill the franchise.

bomba and still the best selling Ps4 Game after 3 Years.

Final Fantasy doesn't have the cult status anymore its once had in Japan, but with 700k copies at launch, thats still numbers you can work with in the future

Some people acting here as if there is no reason anymore to release FF Games on Consoles.

As I've already said :

Final Fantasy is dead.

i didn't know that dead means still beeing the most sucessfull franchise on Ps4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom