• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV is already being discounted in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTag

Banned
Persona 5 sells less than 500k (approx 550k if you add in PS3 sales) from Sept 15 - Oct 2: "Persona series is on the rise, doing amazing."

FFXV sells 700k in its first week not even counting digital sales: "FF is ded."

Come on people.....
Are you kidding? Persona was a series that solid roughly 10-20% what FF did from 1996 until now suddenly. P5 and FFXV even being comparable in sales signals a seismic shift for both series.

Velkyn

I know. I'm using it as a post-mortem tribute to the franchise. Soon I'm gonna wear a Noctis avatar because it's the next thing more dead than the one I'm wearing right now.

You know, wishing really hard for something doesn't make it true, right?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm enjoying 15. Its too bad its getting the sales blowback XIII should have received.

Hopefully this and the whole develolment fiasco will get this company on the right track again.

Oregano

Same thing happened with XIII so nothing really new honestly. Back then people were buying XIII for the XIV campaign code that was packaged with the first print edition of the game.

I clearly remember the game dropping in price pretty fast back then.

That just means XIII was overshipped too. The big difference being XIII's shipment was nearly twice as big.

Persona 5 sells less than 500k (approx 550k if you add in PS3 sales) from Sept 15 - Oct 2: "Persona series is on the rise, doing amazing."

FFXV sells 700k in its first week not even counting digital sales: "FF is ded."

Come on people.....
Sales expectations and bars for success. How do they work 👐👐👐

Most people aren't saying it's dead anyways. Their worried about FF's trajectory right now.

The final fantasy fifteensplaining is strong within this thread.

Next week we will see why retailers are so eager to discount a flagship tittle like FFXV.

People who actually know how the Japanese market functions already understand this (hint: over shipping plus poor sales)

Kanann

Good to see now heavyweight champion FF and underdog Megaten going on toe to toe.

Next stop for FF is Neptunia series?

Velkyn

The final fantasy fifteensplaining is strong within this thread.

With who? The only people I've seen fifteensplaining in this thread are the the ones trying to say Final Fantasy as a brand is finished. Most everyone in this thread is saying we want to see the WW numbers, and we want to see how week 2 goes.

Oersted

Based on the word of mouth I have been hearing in my friend circle and at my work.

This game really does seem to be bringing in the FF fans and the open world western RPG fans, who may not have played FF in the past.

Good positive buzz from word of mouth and games journos, good reviews, and complaints being isolated to hardcore enthusiast communities (and being the minority voices in these communities).

They only way you don't realize that it's a good game is if you've got blinders on and refuse to see the truth.

The game was met with good reviews and, from what i've seen both online and off, seems to benefitting from good word of mouth. I have no idea why some people are acting as though this game is some critically panned abomination when the reception from both the critics and the fans have been generally positive.

So anecdotal evidence? Given how often people referred to it doing well in the west, I thought we have some actual numbers.

Velkyn

So anecdotal evidence? Given how often people referred to it doing well in the west, I thought we have some actual numbers.

We literally do not have anything other than Japanese sales numbers, would you like us to conjure figures out of the ether for you?

Bladenic

With who? The only people I've seen fifteensplaining in this thread are the the ones trying to say Final Fantasy as a brand is finished. Most everyone in this thread is saying we want to see the WW numbers, and we want to see how week 2 goes.

Week 2 will be like an 80-90% drop. The game will be lucky to sell its initial shipment a few months from now after prices are slashed to hell.

Oregano

Well we do know it's seen a small decline from XIII in the first week here in the UK. There's a good chance it will be down across the board, it will just be worst in Japan.

ethomaz

Banned
It released on a failed platform in Japan. Should have made it for PS3 as well, just like Persona 5.

Is that a good answer for you?
Sarcasm?

PS4 sales are are ahead PS3 in Japan... the user base difference between FFXIII and FFXV release is less than 500k and that is why FFXIII release bit later than FFXV into the generation.

Can you show any other example of franchises ~50% going from PS3 to PS4??? If you start to compare the numbers you will see drops at max 20% happened but some games get even boost compared with last gen.

FFXV still dropped over 50%.

And it's also second in sales behind Fifa,and the second biggest UK launch in franchise history, all information gleaned from a cursory google.

FFXIII being the biggest launch didn't help much when it came to sell better than 7,8,9 and 10. By the actual reception to the game, I don't see much indication FFXV's case will be any better.

Verus

Do my eyes deceive me or is the brand new copy only 100 yen more than the used copy?

Yep. It's pretty normal for recent games in Japan. Everything is near mint condition no matter where you go for used copies which is amazing (to me).

DeviantBoi

The demo didn't help.

I was somewhat looking forward to the game... despite not caring for FF13... but the demo completely dissuaded me from buying it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I find it hard to believe FFXVs performance critically or commercially is closer to "Satisfied" than "Disappointed"

Considering Square's philosophy for this release seemed to be "Get It Out The Damn Door" more than anything else, maybe it doesn't matter. They made their money from the copies shipped already. Copies sold will make a dent some time later if retailers decide to turn the remainder in for refunds, but by then two more Kingdom Hearts releases will have happened in 2017 and they'll have a ton of cash on hand from that. And it's not like weak sales of FF15 are going to make retailers order fewer copies of FF16.

In the end the result of the game's weak sales will probably just be an FF16 without an open world and with female characters in the main party, possibly as the main protagonist as in FF13.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
In this thread people ignore the state of the console gaming market in Japan. Sales of the PS4 nearly tripled with the release of FFXV and we're "sky is falling. . ." That FFXV is likely a million seller in Japan before years end is impressive feat given the market there. This is 2009/PS3. Pegging performance to a reality nearly a decade past is just dishonest.

Xilium

FFXIII being the biggest launch didn't help much when it came to sell better than 7,8,9 and 10. By the actual reception to the game, I don't see much indication FFXV's case will be any better.

Pretty sure XIII sold more than IX. Was mentioned in another thread that XIII is the 4th bestselling game in the series.

Sarcasm?

PS4 sales are are ahead PS3 in Japan... the user base difference between FFXIII and FFXV release is less than 500k and that is why FFXIII release bit later than FFXV into the generation.

Can you show any other example of franchises ~50% going from PS3 to PS4??? If you start to compare the numbers you will see drops at max 20% happened but some games get even boost compared with last gen.

It's also became the bestselling PS4 game in a week. Seems a little ridiculous to go all in on the doom-and-gloom train given that. It's not doing as good as XIII but it's still a huge accomplishment for the current market there.

LordKano

If I read another idiotic post like this Im going to go nuts.

Repeating silly statement doesn't makes it a truth

This is silly.

bomba and still the best selling Ps4 after 3 Years.

Final Fantasy doesn't have the cult status anymore its once had in Japan, but with 700k copies at launch, thats still numbers you can work with in the future

Some people acting here as if there is no reason anymore to release FF Games on Consoles.

i didn't know that dead means still beeing the most sucessfull franchise on Ps4

You know, wishing really hard for something doesn't make it true, right?

I was only joking/trolling btw.

they need to bring back lightning for XVI

real talk though i hope they don't decide to go down the DOA route in terms of pandering waifu fan service like street fighter just because it might be flopping.

Sarcasm?

You ready for Yakuza 6, Resident Evil 7, Kingsom Hearts 3, FFVII:Remake and DQXI? These games won't come closer to their predecessor and you can bet on that.

Yakuza 6 is already predicted to have a big decline.

Ludens

Banned
It was heavily discounted in Italy too before the release. Unieuro had the D1 edition pre-order for 40€, Comet for 30€. Consider the full price of a new game here is 70€.

Gamestop has the gam right now bundled with The Last Guardian for 90€ (so 45€ each).

I think SE knew this and they gave a go to those kind of discounts, hoping to sell as many copies as they could because they knew the game is not so good, but with a low price maybe people would give it a try.

MacTag

Banned
You ready for Yakuza 6, Resident Evil 7, Kingsom Hearts 3, FFVII:Remake and DQXI? These games won't come closer to their predecessor and you can bet on that.

DQXI will come way closer. It has the benefit of also being on two Nintendo handhelds.

I could see Yakuza 6, REVII and KH3 also facing ~50% declines though. FFVIIR is a wild card but I'd expect it to be the best selling FF remake by far. If it isn't something's REALLY wrong.

DQXI will come way closer. It has the benefit of also being on two Nintendo handhelds.

I could see Yakuza 6, REVII and KH3 also facing ~50% declines though. FFVIIR is a wild card but I'd expect it to be the best selling FF remake by far. If it isn't something's REALLY wrong.
We are talking about PS4 releases and I doubt DQXI PS4 manages even 1 million.

Only the best survive, DQXI.
Okay, sure. Don't be surprised at the decline and it won't have to do anything with the quality of the game but the state of console gaming in Japan.

ethomaz

Banned

Ok when these games releases we will talk again about that... I don't believe any of them will come close to 30% drop in sales compared to previous entries.

Koppai

Yall forget that console market is down in Japan. They prefer handhelds. Watch them make a Vita version. I got it for $40.

Its all fine and good that people want to lump this into there anti ff15 narrative, but its kind of just how Japanese games are now hahaha, anyone remember how fast Project X Zone got discounted?

MoonFrog

Ho boy

Not much to spin there

But much like Sony Im guessing SE is more interested in courting the global market with this one right?

I mean its basically a western game with japanese stand in content
I mean didn't XIII push PS3 a lot in Japan too iirc, whereas XV isn't pushing PS4 as hard. Think there is something small to spin.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Interestingly they are making more games in my style in the mobile space than they are in the console space

My opinions on mobile games have been changing drastically over the last year

I just wish mobile games weren't on mobile devices.....I hate having hot hands lol.

I have a new3DSXL for my toilet gaming needs, other than that, I don't really mess with mobile; hope FFXVI isn't mobile or it's the new pachinko to me (MGS RIP).

FFXV going Bomba in Japan isn't unexpected, it's a western style FF and it's my favourite since VI easily, but I can see why turn-based lovers there aren't on-board.

I say stick with this new western style FF, if it bombs in Japan but sells >10,000,000 units LTD then it doesn't really matter does it? $ is $, no matter where the buyer base lives.

TrojanAg

Times have changed since the PS1 era. The numbers in Japan won't necessarily dictate where the franchise goes from here. The market in Japan is just very different when it comes to console gaming in general.

MacTag

Banned
We are talking about PS4 releases and I doubt DQXI PS4 manages even 1 million.

Okay, sure. Don't be surprised at the decline and it won't have to do anything with the quality of the game but the state of console gaming in Japan.
Why would you just compare the PS4 version of DQXI alone to claim a decline? That's like using just the XBO version of FFXV to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom