• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV is already being discounted in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

Fewer PS4 gamers in Japan were interested in the game than PS3 gamers were when FF13 released. PS4 is at about 90% of the install base that PS3 had when FF13 came out, but FF15's first week was down about 50%.
My question is: what are PS4 gamers in Japan interested in?

rhandino

Banned
My question is: what are PS4 gamers in Japan interested in?
GTA, Call of Duty, Metal Gear Solid, Persona, Dragon Quest, etc...

Granted Final Fantasy XV is still the biggest selling game on the PS4 so far but it's not so different than last gen in which XIII was also the biggest selling game on PS3.

rhandino

Banned
This is missing context. How does it compare to other console games in Japan?
Again, the game IS the best selling PS4 game released so far BUT Final Fantasy XIII was also the best selling game on the PS3 with a similar install base and still sold double of what XV is doing and it seems that S-E over shipped the hell out of the game and since Final Fantasy is a very front loaded franchise there is a high chance that the game is going to end up in the bomba bins soon

Globally we know that the game is doing more or less flat compared to XIII in UK and we are still waiting for USA numbers to see if the west and asia will make up for the difference.

EDIT: It's not a "biggest bomba" or a "unprecedented success", is more like

4wLa0GL.png

eXistor

I hope the game does well for SE, the game deserves it, it's really fun. Probably the most fun I've had with a game this year. I'm 55 hours in and still nowhere close to being done.

Again, the game IS the best selling PS4 game released so far BUT Final Fantasy XIII was also the best selling game on the PS3 with a similar install base and still sold double of what XV is doing and it seems that S-E over shipped the hell out of the game and since Final Fantasy is a very front loaded franchise there is a high chance that the game is going to end up in the bomba bins soon

Globally we know that the game is doing more or less flat compared to XIII in UK and we are still waiting for USA numbers to see if the west and asia will make up for the difference.

EDIT: It's not a "biggest bomba" or a "unprecedented success", is more like

4wLa0GL.png

I'm just not sure if XIII comparisons would mean anything though. Hasn't the console market there shrunk further since XIII's time?

I'm just not sure if XIII comparisons would mean anything though. Hasn't the console market there shrunk further since XIII's time?

The top 3 best selling ps4 games combined barely match XIIIs sales. As the other poster pointed out, XVs success will be determined in the west and we have almost no data yet.

Oregano

Yes but the PS4 is keeping pace with the PS3 pretty well. The vast majority of the home console market decline is from the drop between Wii and Wii U. Despite that the Wii U will have several games that have sold more than FFXV will. Even the Vita will have one.

MoonFrog

Yes but the PS4 is keeping pace with the PS3 pretty well. The vast majority of the home console market decline is from the drop between Wii and Wii U. Despite that the Wii U will have several games that have sold more than FFXV will. Even the Vita will have one.

Again, what is the relationship between XIII and that pace, i.e. the PS3 pace? Isn't PS4 going to be off-pace soon with XV not moving PS4 like XIII did PS3? That's how I understood it from the last thread on this.

If so there is room to bring PS4 vs. PS3 into the picture, because it XIII being a system seller of a certain size and XV of another, could very well have to do with the device as much as the game.

Cynar

People are desperate for ANYTHING to bash this game, aren't they?

This happens with ALL Japanese games not named Pokemon. FF13 was the same way a week later IIRC
Except ff13 was horrible and this game is pretty good

Oregano

Again, what is the relationship between XIII and that pace, i.e. the PS3 pace? Isn't PS4 going to be off-pace soon with XV not moving PS4 like XIII did PS3? That's how I understood it from the last thread on this.

If so there is room to bring PS4 vs. PS3 into the picture, because it XIII being a system seller of a certain size and XV of another, could very well have to do with the device as much as the game.

Well everyone keeps bringing up how the console market has declined but there's about the same amount of PS4s out there now as there were PS3s when XIII released. Not anywhere near enough of a gap to automatically justify a 50% drop in sales.

MoonFrog

Well everyone keeps bringing up how the console market has declined but there's about the same amount of PS4s out there now as there were PS3s when XIII released. Not anywhere near enough of a gap to automatically justify a 50% drop in sales.

Well, PS3 sales post-XIII are hugely significant iirc to the picture of how much PS market has sunk, so I'm just saying comparing them at this point isn't that informative.

Not really. Mostly depends on PS4 performance after the holidays and 2017 is looking to be a good year for PS4 as well. For reference, PS3 did 1.764 million in 2009 (FF13 released that holiday season) and 1.586 million in 2010. PS4 right now has a YTD of 1.509 million.

MoonFrog

Not really. Mostly depends on PS4 performance after the holidays and 2017 is looking to be a good year for PS4 as well. For reference, PS3 did 1.764 million in 2009 (FF13 released that holiday season) and 1.586 million in 2010. PS4 right now has a YTD of 1.509 million.

Okay. I was going off a chart of a FFXIII bundle or something with the PS3 slim in the other thread.

Professor Oak

Neo Member
These threads are going to give me a stroke.
If you want to see this game as a failure then seems like nothing is going to stop you from being able to do so. As far as I'm aware, this game is the highest selling PS4 game for it's first week and people are still calling it a disaster.

Also I know this is pretty much all people have to go on to see reliable sale figures at the moment but if you are judging a game's success on only the sales in Japan, you are missing out on a much larger very different market of people.

Toth

Except ff13 was horrible and this game is pretty good

Again, I am not commenting on the quality of 13 (a game I happen to enjoy quite a lot), but simply that every big release in Japan has prices drops usually within a week. Overshipping in Japan is just that common.

dc89

These threads are going to give me a stroke.
If you want to see this game as a failure then seems like nothing is going to stop you from being able to do so. As far as I'm aware, this game is the highest selling PS4 game for it's first week and people are still calling it a disaster.

Also I know this is pretty much all people have to go on to see reliable sale figures at the moment but if you are judging a game's success on only the sales in Japan, you are missing out on a much larger very different market of people.

Use a repel and keep these threads away.

FingerBang

Oh yeah, Japan matters so much that the game got a worldwide release and the Japanese version has all the languages on disc. lol
The game is selling well, it shipped 5M copies on day one, that's A LOT. It might not break even (because 10 years development), but calling it a flop is pretty much not knowing what you're talking about.

Guys, even Square Enix knows that mobile is the way to go for Japan, that's where the money is. They don't care if the sales of FF are subpar here, there's the rest of the world hungry for more.

the king of RPG in Japan is dragon quest
It has always been

try better next time

Yep, people always give me the stink eye when I say I like FF but not DQ lol

Persona 5 sells less than 500k (approx 550k if you add in PS3 sales) from Sept 15 - Oct 2: "Persona series is on the rise, doing amazing."

FFXV sells 700k in its first week not even counting digital sales: "FF is ded."

Slight correction: Persona 5, according to Media Create at the end of Oct 2, sold ~420,000 units. This includes PS3 and PS4. PS4 sales were at 332.785 during that period. I am sure by now it's at 550,000. Still impressive numbers nonetheless for both titles considering the market.

Edit:
Are you kidding? Persona was a series that solid roughly 10-20% what FF did from 1996 until now suddenly. P5 and FFXV even being comparable in sales signals a seismic shift for both series.

While it is certainly impressive what Persona has accomplished, Persona 5's FW sales are less than half of FFXV's first weeks sales. And that's if your counting P5's sales on both PS3 and PS4 against XV just on the PS4.

AmuroChan

It's not surprising to me that FFXV under-performed in Japan when you consider the gaming climate in Japan.

- Console market is continuing to decline in Japan
- FFXV's design philosophy is a big departure from the classic FF formula. It's obvious that FFXV was developed with the western audience in mind

It's going to be interesting to see how DQXI performs in Japan. From what we've seen so far it seems the game will retain its roots and be very much a traditional DQ game.

cuilan

Not surprising, Xbox version stateside was 50% off before the game even came out.

And I'm thankful for that! With the $15 back for being a member of XBL rewards on top of the discount, I'd say FFXV was totally worth the $20 purchase for what it is.

So...how long do I need to wait here in the states for the price to drop digitally?

Depends on to what extent. I'd assume it'll be on some sort of PS+ deal for $40 by Valentine's Day. By next Xmas we may see it for $20 on sale, and then the year after it'll be $20 regularly and occasionally on sale for $10?

This is every game here in Japan a week after release. 3-5 days after a game comes out the used sections of every retailer are stacked with the latest hottest game. Uncharted 4, Final Fantasy XV, Dark Souls 3.

It happens to every game here. Especially since the trade in rates are REALLY good that first 2-3 weeks. Talking basically paying $20 for a game if you can get it traded in time.

duckroll

Okay we really don't need new threads for totally random shit when there's nothing to discuss. Retail is super aggressive and a blockbuster game going on discount at launch is a thing that is totally normal in Japan unless it is literally sold out on day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom