• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10's Game Mode exclusive to UWP

prudislav

UWP exclusivity confirmed
Previously, we were unable to ascertain whether *Game Mode would be a feature restricted to games built for the Universal Windows Platform (UWP)*, but it does appear that this could be the case. Our information states that games developed for the Windows 10, Xbox One, and Project Scorpio ecosystem *specifically need to be "Game Mode enabled" Universal Windows Apps (UWA)*.

http://www.windowscentral.com/game-mode-windows-10-will-power-xbox-one-project-scorpio

YjKT0bR.png
YjKT0bR.png
YjKT0bR.png

(not sure if it deserves own topic)

Not missing out much. From what I saw, it's a simplified task manager and shuts down anything eating up lots of cpu/ram on the PC.

It's basically for xbox gamers using a PC.

Back to shutting off every service including print spooler to maximize performance.
(I have actually done this to run Skyrim on an old shitty graphics card at 640x480)

rrs

ah yes, the real game's can take part in the fun. I run stuff with my games so I don't trust anything to play find the loadbearer on my pc

leeh

Said this in the Scorpio thread as it was posted there, but I can imagine this game mode being MS' big picture equivalent. As in, the Xbox UI on PC.

Can imagine that is why it's UWP exclusive.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Is this a major issue for Microsoft's games? Or any games for that matter?

In theory, it's making it easier for debs to make one game and deploy it on both Xbox and PC. Isn't that one of the main points?

Any dev that does that can lose my sale and judging by reactions from others, I'm not the only one. I'm done with MS's crap and I'm not reformatting to get Windows Store games working again, no matter how good they are.

Are we still confusing UWP with the Windows Store?

Tecnniqe

Banned
we were unable to ascertain whether *Game Mode would be a feature restricted to games built for the Universal Windows Platform (UWP)

it does appear that this could be the case

Our information states that games developed for the Windows 10, Xbox One, and Project Scorpio ecosystem *specifically need to be "Game Mode enabled" Universal Windows Apps (UWA)*

Where does it say its 100% certain exclusivity other than that upcoming games need to support the feature to end up in MS ecosystem?

"It certainly looks as though Microsoft is making a big push into Windows 10 Store gaming"

Uh...

What improvements have they made to the store? They haven't given Steam and Origin users any reason to really dig into or appreciate that store.

Any dev that does that can lose my sale and judging by reactions from others, I'm not the only one. I'm done with MS's crap and I'm not reformatting to get Windows Store games working again, no matter how good they are.

You're using MS's old format already (Win32). I'm not sure you understand what UWP is.

Hasney

Are we still confusing UWP with the Windows Store?

That packaging has more issues than regular .exes, so I don't know why in the hell someone would compile their game into a UWA unless they were given an incentive to via selling in the Windows Store or under the influence of some pretty strong drugs.

Since that is currently the only place UWA games are sold, they're one and the same for now.

Durante

Well, I very much doubt it will actually do much anyway on a PC with a decent amount of RAM and no silly CPU-intensive background processes. And I wouldn't want some software to decide what software runs on my PC at any point, I'm capable of doing that on my own ;)

As I said before, creating a feature that can be used with less than 1% of the game library on the platform just seems like something MS would do right now.

Crayon

I'm darkly fascinated by the future prospect of open PC vs corporate piss guzzler PC platform wars.

Microsoft pushing their new operating system with exclusive features and benefits. We'll have more on this breaking story as it gets to us.....

GHG

As a PC Gamer that HATES stream.....GOOD!

If by stream you mean the stream of shit that Microsoft has consistently served up to PC gamers then I'm in agreement.

This move will only serve to shoot themselves in the foot further.

Let's wait and see WHAT exactly is "Game Mode". Maybe is some UWP API feature so it can only support that ?

Someone posted some shots, it closes or maybe it freezes app like Visual Studios running in the background eating up 20% cpu and 2GB ram and that is all.

Any PC gamer would know they can control-alt-del and check task manager.

Someone posted some shots, it closes or maybe it freezes app like Visual Studios running in the background eating up 20% cpu and 2GB ram and that is all.

Any PC gamer would know they can control-alt-del and check task manager.

ctrl+shift+esc is much quicker

Tecnniqe

Banned
As far as I'm aware, they can't force developers to use that feature for release games in W10.

I don't know, but at the same time I don't see anything specifically saying its completely exclusive to the store system either and can't be used on say, Steam applications..

Unless I'm missing it, all I see is "ifs and buts".

Top Bottom