• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10's Game Mode exclusive to UWP

Nzyme32

As a PC Gamer that HATES stream.....GOOD!

The logic is god like "I hate Stream; better go restrict features from every other service on the OS in favour of a self-serving ecosystem locking features arbitrarily to prop up MS' own Xbox gaming version of "PC gaming"". I'd hope an OS vendor would be implementing their solutions to serve and benefit their whole platform rather than what serves their own sandboxed ecosystem

prudislav

"It certainly looks as though Microsoft is making a big push into Windows 10 Store gaming"
i see it more as expanding Xbox console gaming to Windows 10 rather than MS actually stepping in to PC gaming as their currect "improvements" goes mostly in the direction of limiting what PC gaming is capable of to the point of being "Xbox console as an Win10 APP" and Scorpio being basically closed down Steambox but with crippled version of Win10 as a base instead of steam

Kayant

I don't see the problem there. Maybe devs will finally start moving over to UWP.
Based on software that seemingly just closes intensive running programs when a game is running that would be incredibly silly yet alone an overall stupid reason to support uwp/win store.

Gestault

Well, I very much doubt it will actually do much anyway on a PC with a decent amount of RAM and no silly CPU-intensive background processes. And I wouldn't want some software to decide what software runs on my PC at any point, I'm capable of doing that on my own ;)

As I said before, creating a feature that can be used with less than 1% of the game library on the platform just seems like something MS would do right now.

Even assuming they manage something desirable, do you know of an engineering reason that a "game mode" for an OS would need a non-standard format like UWP (or would be easier to implement, at least)?

Ctrl-shift-esc is faster, and Process Hacker is a better alternative to Task Manager ;)

Dang, I hadn't even known about that shortcut. Thanks.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Well that makes my PC game purchases much easier for me when I can safely avoid a platform altogether. Thanks, MS.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Screw you MS. We won't get rid of crap in our operating system that makes it difficult to actually have low dpc latency, minimal stuttering, does hog cpu cycles or IO unless it's on UWP.

People were saying tim sweeny was a conspiracy theorist. This is the kind of antics he warned about.

Durante showing his skills, Processhacker is great and one of the only I/O trackers that I know that works well for gaming.

"All of MS' exclusives are on PC! I don't need an Xbox!"

*UWP is confirmed*

"So what are the current deals on an Xbox One S?"

Whatever issues remain can be fixed. UWP is the future and Microsoft has been very vocal about it in the past few months.

Believe It or Not, Microsoft doesn't get to decide the future especially when there are bigger more competitive Marketplace in the mix

*UWP is confirmed*

At that point, I have a feeling that PC Gamers will just continue to ignore Microsoft's IPs

If Microsoft really wants to make a push in the PC Marketplace for gaming, they just need to suck it up and release their stuff on third-party marketplaces like steam

Microsoft and PC gaming.

c9Ups.gif]

People really do have an incredibly hard time differentiating between UWP and Windows Store.

There's no need to differentiate because the only place you can buy uwp apps is the Windows store. If that changes in the future then we can stop referring to it as the Windows store.

Plus it has more to do than with where they sell it. Uwp apps are far more restricted then regular Windows programs

Omikaru

*UWP is confirmed*

This is scarily close to my thinking. But I can't justify an Xbox One S for just Scalebound and Xbox 360 BC. Nothing else in their lineup particularly rouses my interest, and for console exclusives like FFXV I have my PS4.

Microsoft needs to do a better job on the PC front or I'll probably just skip it, sadly. I'm not sure I want to put up with the UWP and Windows 10 Store shitshow for even one game.

Shari

It looks like that is our future.

Ctrl-shift-esc is faster, and Process Hacker is a better alternative to Task Manager ;)

I didn't know about this, thank you very much. I'm going to use it both personally and professionally.

So sexy.

People really do have an incredibly hard time differentiating between UWP and Windows Store.
There zero difference. The entire reason for UWP's existence is to be exclusive to the Windows Store and for Microsoft to get 30% of the purchase of every UWP app. Nothing more, nothing less.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
As a hobbist, I quite like UWP.

UWP + SharpDX + Win2D is all the best bits (for me) of XNA. (Hardly surprising on the Win2D front, Shawn Hargreaves from the XNA team had a hand in it I believe).

I'm knocking up some mobile apps in advance of any potential Surface phone appearing in the next year or so, talk about a "blue ocean"! :p

It's actually made me consider an XB1 just so I can port some of them to it.

*goes back to abusing CanvasSpriteBatch*

BTW, UWP is no longer limited to Windows Store distribution.

leeh

There's no need to differentiate because the only place you can buy uwp apps is the Windows store. If that changes in the future then we can stop referring to it as the Windows store.

Plus it has more to do than with where they sell it. Uwp apps are far more restricted then regular Windows programs
People can, Adobe do it. Problem is, it has to be signed with a trusted cert, which means by MS.

UWP apps can be found outside the store already.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Why is it so hard for them to get things right?

Cause they want to play politics with the good tech they make. This is just as bad as them gimping DX10/11 by making it exclusive despite no need for it. We all know it's bullshit because vulkan works on XP to Windows 10.

cakely

Whatever issues remain can be fixed. UWP is the future and Microsoft has been very vocal about it in the past few months.

Microsoft might like it to be the future but happily they don't get to dictate the architecture of PC games. They wrote the OS, and that's it.

Developers are free to ignore UWP and continue to make Win32 applications, and guess what? The vast majority are.

As a hobbist, I quite like UWP.

UWP + SharpDX + Win2D is all the best bits (for me) of XNA. (Hardly surprising on the Win2D front, Shawn Hargreaves from the XNA team had a hand in it I believe).

I'm knocking up some mobile apps in advance of any potential Surface phone appearing in the next year or so, talk about a "blue ocean"! :p

It's actually made me consider an XB1 just so I can port some of them to it.

*goes back to abusing CanvasSpriteBatch*

BTW, UWP is no longer limited to Windows Store distribution.

As an owner of a W10 950 I will buy your app! I'll buy any app you make!

*we don't get many apps on W10 mobile*

*UWP is confirmed*

Its funny, as this very situation constantly brings up in my head this very pitfight between their console endeavor and their GFWL 2 endeavor. At least i now know whos winning that fight for survival.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Cause they want to play politics with the good tech they make. This is just as bad as them gimping DX10/11 by making it exclusive despite no need for it. We all know it's bullshit because vulkan works on XP to Windows 10.
Pretty much this. Politics and ecosystem total control is what keeps most away from their shit.

MrBud360

You will buy a game on your Scorpio XBox and will play it for free on Windows 10. I dont get the hate. If you want to buy two times, then buy it on Steam too. Thats what i'm undestanding.

*UWP is confirmed*

That's like paying ransom to terrorists - playing into their scheme makes them stronger and encourages they continue to use those tactics even more in the future.

Durante

Ambitious but rubbish.
I don't think "ambitious" is the right word.

Making Windows 10 a great platform for PC gaming out of the box, with community and gaming-specific features that all the tens of thousands of existing Win32 games benefit from would be a far more ambitious goal than trying to enforce a new platform through manufactured exclusivity.

(By the way, this -- as in, improving the existing library of tens of thousands of games -- is something that Valve often tries to do with Steam, with features like the general overlay, in-home streaming, the Steam controller, big picture mode, or the VR theater mode for 2D games)

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
As an owner of a W10 950 I will buy your app! I'll buy any app you make!

*we don't get many apps on W10 mobile*
I need a 950, the emulator sucks and would make life easier heh, unfortunately wasn't offered by my phone provider last upgrade. :(

4Tran

Thanks, this is a beautiful post, and it fully validates this thread. :)

Oh what was it about again? More UWP nonsense as expected? Good riddance to that nonsense.

People know you dont need the windows store to distribute UWP right?

I know the store has its problems but why the fuck would people want less competition?

If it blows dont use it, force them to improve it till its better. If its good, dope, maybe itll force competitors to make there products better.

this is tired as shit by now but does everybody forget when everyone HATED THE SHIT out of a steam?

Aselith

This should be a good way to get developers to move up to UWP. Makes sense.

Seems like a terrible way to do it tbh. Why in the world would you put things on Windows Store when it is going to impose all these extra restricitons AND it's a worse place to sell your game than Steam. What is the upside for developers in going with the Windows Store exactly?

aeolist

Banned
People know you dont need the windows store to distribute UWP right?

I know the store has its problems but why the fuck would people want less competition?

If it blows dont use it, force them to improve it till its better. If its good, dope, maybe itll force competitors to make there products better.

this is tired as shit by now but does everybody forget when everyone HATED THE SHIT out of a steam?

competition with steam would be simply making a new storefront. they're trying to gradually close down and restrict the entire platform which needs to be utterly rejected by the entire user base if we want to keep the good parts of the PC.

Top Bottom